• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I fired up Dark Souls for the first time since Dark Souls II. It feels like a night and day difference! Better animations, more responsive, fast roll, stamina naturally regens faster, weapons aren't brittle.

Once I finish the Dark Souls II platinum I'm certain I'm done with it forever.

I'm in the rat covenant, I was wearing the rat ring, it summoned somebody, they died, and then there's a smashed chest with a Gyrm swinging its weapon at nothing. I don't know how else to explain it.
The summon smashed it? Or you or the Gyrm did whilst attacking them? Don't know, I'm not sure if anyone else can destroy chests other than the host - hope not.

Finalow

Not when you are up close and personal. Spells are easily avoidable from distance. I have 40 adaptability
I think that 40 adaptability is a waste of 20 stat points but that's another discussion.
in your post you didn't refer to just projectile based spells, which yes, are easy to dodge and I'd agree with you. I'd say that they all suck in pvp except for GRS, and maybe Affinity. but there are spells, buffs, de-buffs etc. and they're the reason why pure melee with no spells builds are awful in pvp.

I don't have any problem dodging spells, but the punishment for failing to dodge a single spell is far beyond the punishment for missing a couple of spells. Essentially, the melee player has less room for error than the caster, which is the reason for the imbalance IMO. I can deal with them, but I can't agree that it is well balanced with melee.
that is true but it also depends on the spell. if you're talking about spells like GRS/Soul Spear (SS is slow as fuck unless you invest/waste A LOT in casting speed) then sure, if it's a much slower and less deadly spell then the punishment can come just after 1-2 rolls with even a backstab.

it's not well balanced with melee at all, this pvp is fucking broken (yet, I've had a lot of fun with it) but mostly not for the reason you stated.

Gorillaz

Playing pvp and I hear the flesh to weapon connect noise yet nothing clicked. No health goes down. For 3 matches straight. I had a small hiccup here and there for DS1 but this is ridiculous. People complianed about it's netcode but this imo is honestly worst. It's so fucking trash right now. It even effects me in Coop.

I came back for a refresher after taking about 2-3 weeks off, probably will do bosses with different types of dual wielding combos but I'm shelfing this for good. Hopefully they get down the netcode next game.

I think that 40 adaptability is a waste of 20 stat points but that's another discussion.
in your post you didn't refer to just projectile based spells, which yes, are easy to dodge and I'd agree with you. I'd say that they all suck in pvp except for GRS, and maybe Affinity. but there are spells, buffs, de-buffs etc. and they're the reason why pure melee with no spells builds are awful in pvp.

that is true but it also depends on the spell. if you're talking about spells like GRS/Soul Spear (SS is slow as fuck unless you invest/waste A LOT in casting speed) then sure, if it's a much slower and less deadly spell then the punishment can come just after 1-2 rolls with even a backstab.

it's not well balanced with melee at all, this pvp is fucking broken (yet, I've had a lot of fun with it) but mostly not for the reason you stated.
you can buff with items and gears. You think 40 adapt is a waste but I think not. More points more invincible frames during a roll. The difference from 20 to 40 is definitely noticeable. Not only does it work for pvp it work for pve as well. I'm planning going for 99 on that stat
I fired up Dark Souls for the first time since Dark Souls II. It feels like a night and day difference! Better animations, more responsive, fast roll, stamina naturally regens faster, weapons aren't brittle.

Once I finish the Dark Souls II platinum I'm certain I'm done with it forever.
Agreed.

The summon smashed it? Or you or the Gyrm did whilst attacking them? Don't know, I'm not sure if anyone else can destroy chests other than the host - hope not.

The person who appeared was nowhere near the chest. They climbed up to the ledge I was on, the stone ladder across from the spike walls and the chest. They got hit a few times and then rolled away and died. The enemies bugged out as usual and ignored me, then when I get to the chest it's destroyed and there's a Gyrm attacking the wall.

GulAtiCa

Gotta love those white phantoms who do those "nonono" emote as you invade the host and then proceed to die 5 seconds later. haha

The person who appeared was nowhere near the chest. They climbed up to the ledge I was on, the stone ladder across from the spike walls and the chest. They got hit a few times and then rolled away and died. The enemies bugged out as usual and ignored me, then when I get to the chest it's destroyed and there's a Gyrm attacking the wall.
You should kick that Gyrm's ass until he stops spawning, that'll teach him!

Finally beat NG at level 165. I feel like I was way over leveled. I didn't really grind much though. I don't think I'm going to do NG+...pretty burned out. Thanks to all you guys who helped me through the game!

nah, spells are god like in this game for PvP. Granted I keep my sword out and use it up close, the deal is people need to learn to use spells when the time presents itself. Just like melee weapons, people need to not spam it.

By that same thought, I could easily say melee is useless in PvP due to dodging swords, esp big swords and clubs is so easy. :p

Not trying to big dick you, but I'd like to see you dodge my Washing Pole.

When I lose it's usually from not being aggressive enough or spells not missing endlessly with my R1 R1 R2 spam.

Why is the zweihander so much weaker than the greatsword? At 40/40 zweihander does close to 500 whereas greatsword does nearly 600.

maomaoIYP

When I lose it's usually from not being aggressive enough or spells not missing endlessly with my R1 R1 R2 spam.
With enough poise to tank your running R1 a caster typically trades the katana hit with a GRS cast. One of those things can kill instantly, and it's not the katana.

GulAtiCa

It's the Katana right? I don't think I've come up against a washing pole user yet. I barely see katana users, let alone big ones.

Now twin blades I hate, mainly for the stun lock spam people like to

Jaeger

So, deep in Dark Souls 1 at the moment after beating 2 3 times. I'll be back on it later this week. With that said, there are some things I prefer in the second game, over the first, and vic versa;

- Menus are all around much better and more comfortable to navigate in the second game.
- Items and Equipment usage and management is better in the second game. More slots for rings, and weapons are a welcomed change. I feel more restricted in 1 with what I can do.
- I said in the DS OT that I prefer the weaponsmith system in DS2 to DS1. But it's not that cut and dry. A better medium between the two is needed. Bring back all the embers, and smith specific modifying paths, but don't bring back convoluted menus as you upgrade the weapons.

- I think DS1 looks better. Better lighting and textures. Also, the world is much better to navigate. Everything makes sense. Although, I love the design of DS2. Just not it's layout.

Trakan

Cutting it down to one ember was one of the best things they did IMO. Not only that but you don't have to lose your weapon to make a boss weapon anymore, and (regular) upgrade materials aren't as rare. Huge step in the right direction.

Jaeger

Cutting it down to one ember was one of the best things they did IMO. Not only that but you don't have to lose your weapon to make a boss weapon anymore, and (regular) upgrade materials aren't as rare. Huge step in the right direction.

I agree with losing a weapon. I don't like that part. Especially since they seem to be alot more rare in the original. But I do like multiple Embers. Maybe less Embers, then?

A Dark, Light, and Raw/Large Ember that allows you to upgrade in different directions, each.

SoldnerKei

wtf this is the first time this happens to me, my game froze! against the Executioner Chariot, the game froze but the music still plays, what the actual hell lol I cant even go to the xmb

Arcayne

What build are ya'll using? I'm done playing around with Santiers & dual Avelyns. Prior to that, I was a Str/Fth Claymore user.

TnK

Yep, Only 4 enemies in the entire game. Make sure tot pick them off in the right order.
Man what a rip off. I want my money back.

I dunno, did you just run in a straight line the entire way to Majula without going through any of the other trails or fog doors in Things Betwixt? If you did that, you would not have seen or encountered any enemies at all since nearly all enemies there are behind the fog doors in the tutorial area.
There was no boss in the tutorial, and only those two big enemies that you have to enter the coffin and run away from. Btw, what does the coffin do anyways?
After the tutorial it was a run to a sunny area, pulling levers, jumping, and basically nothing in between.
Petrified something or seed of a tree of the giants.

I always go for Petrified Something. It's always nice to interact with the crow's nest and get an item.
What does seed of the tree of giants do? I got the one where it resets the bone fire and makes things harder.

Jaeger

There was no boss in the tutorial, and only those two big enemies that you have to enter the coffin and run away from. Btw, what does the coffin do anyways?

Instantly changes your gender.

What does seed of the tree of giants do?

Makes enemies also hostile and attack invaders. Useful for unwanted/unprepaired invasions.

So I went to Belfry Sol to farm those one phantoms for the Black Witch Veil and Domino Mask. Got them both in one run. So happy! Wish farming went that smooth every time.

TnK

Instantly changes your gender.

Makes enemies also hostile and attack invaders. Useful for unwanted/unprepaired invasions.

Thanks =D

WickfutENB mod, will it get me banned?

EDIT: Is Old Whip or Petrified Dragon bone better?

Soulhouf

I ran into this Havel dual wielding Avelyn player who had both the rings that make his weapons invisible.
He got me the first time but he didn't realize that every time he pulled the trigger to fire, his 2 hands were flashing (lightning bolts) giving me the perfect signal to roll and punish him.
After I won 4 successive matches, at the start of the 5th one he disconnected :D

TnK

Dragon bone is a upgrade material for boss weapons and the old whip is a decent whip so it depends on your playstyle which is best. But for myself I'd go dragon bone.

Is it a hard to obtain item? If yes, I will go dragon bone then.

Also, how far in the game do I obtain the Crypt Blacksowrd? Should I start having an STR build just to wait for that sword? Also, what is the best GreatSword in this game? Love those weapons the most.

Soulhouf

Is it a hard to obtain item? If yes, I will go dragon bone then.

Also, how far in the game do I obtain the Crypt Blacksowrd? Should I start having an STR build just to wait for that sword? Also, what is the best GreatSword in this game? Love those weapons the most.

Yep it's quite rare and the Crypt Blacksowrd is only obtainable from NG+ onward.

Most of the Ultra Greatswords are great but it depends on your taste and if you can sacrifice weight.
My personal favorite is Zweihander but the "Greatsword" is probably better for you despite it weigh a ton. You can get it early in the game too.

TnK

Yep it's quite rare and the Crypt Blacksowrd is only obtainable from NG+ onward.

Most of the Ultra Greatswords are great but it depends on your taste and if you can sacrifice weight.
My personal favorite is Zweihander but the "Greatsword" is probably better for you despite it weigh a ton. You can get it early in the game too.

Continued with the whip weapon, seems like I will sacrifice the petrified dragon bone. If that is only obtained at NG+, Zweihander then? BTW, will I get banned in this game if I use an ENB mod for the lighting?

Mistel

Banned
Continued with the whip weapon, seems like I will sacrifice the petrified dragon bone. If that is only obtained at NG+, Zweihander then?
I prefer a zwei or a pursuer myself. Zweihander is a bit further into the game than the greatsword is so you might like that for the time being?

Did you look up the crypt black sword or did you know about it already?

zma1013

After the tutorial it was a run to a sunny area, pulling levers, jumping, and basically nothing in between.

And several other zombie enemies. The sunny area is the hub world, the only (mostly) safe area in the game.

TnK

I prefer a zwei or a pursuer myself. Zweihander is a bit further into the game than the greatsword is so you might like that for the time being?

Did you look up the crypt black sword or did you know about it already?
Looked up Dark Souls 2 Berserk Guts build just to find swords similar to the Dragon Bone Smasher from DeS. Where can I get the regular GreatSword then?
And several other zombie enemies. The sunny area is the hub world, the only (mostly) safe area in the game.

I see. Good to know they made a hub world similar to DeS this time. Even the leveling up is the same.

Is a pure STR build viable this time around, or do I need to put some points somewhere else? My DeS build was mainly STR, END, and VIT. Some points in faith and magic for second chance and the cursed sword enhancements.

Celegus

Is a pure STR build viable this time around, or do I need to put some points somewhere else? My DeS build was mainly STR, END, and VIT. Some points in faith and magic for second chance and the cursed sword enhancements.

Absolutely it is, I had no problems at all my first playthrough as pure strength, didn't even cast a single spell until NG+. Greatsword is incredible, but make sure you get a club or something with strike damage too.

TnK

No mans wharf or Vengarl, strength is viable build.

Absolutely it is, I had no problems at all my first playthrough as pure strength, didn't even cast a single spell until NG+. Greatsword is incredible, but make sure you get a club or something with strike damage too.

Thanks you two. Gotta find a proper sword fast then. The initial swords are good, but not that good. Started with Swordsman.

EDIT: Defeating bosses does not restore humanity? What?

So, deep in Dark Souls 1 at the moment after beating 2 3 times. I'll be back on it later this week. With that said, there are some things I prefer in the second game, over the first, and vic versa;

- Menus are all around much better and more comfortable to navigate in the second game.
- Items and Equipment usage and management is better in the second game. More slots for rings, and weapons are a welcomed change. I feel more restricted in 1 with what I can do.
In DS2:
- Can't rearrange items in inventory (helps with quick switching etc)
- Some menus you can't see their requirement stats and things like this - Item Box is one place I want to see if I meet the stat requirements for a weapon before I take it out. If you can do this in the menu box, I haven't seen how to yet!

Had they kept these two things in that were already in the first game, the menus would've been almost perfect. Oh, and the item name is in the wrong place I think, it should be at the top not bottom since the icons themselves aren't always that distinguishable from each other for similar armour/weapon items.

I try to stick to two weapons in each hand because it's not easy to quickly switch in the heat of things, but more often than not I go like this:

R: Weapon / Catalyst
L: Shield / Binoculars / Bow

atm, I'm going weapon / chime / weapon as I'm switching between a rapier and claymore situationally, and because you can't reorganise the menus, this is quicker than cycling through the weapon menu.

Finalow

you can buff with items and gears. You think 40 adapt is a waste but I think not. More points more invincible frames during a roll. The difference from 20 to 40 is definitely noticeable. Not only does it work for pvp it work for pve as well. I'm planning going for 99 on that stat
what? Items buffs aren't as good as some spells (GRW anyone?), and it's not really just about damage buffs. also anyone can use buffs from gears (which aren't even that good this time, the first DkS had better buffs from gears), so I don't really see your point there.

to be honest I tried with both ADP at 20-25 and 38, it didn't make much difference to me. but hey, if it fits your style, good for you.

Soulhouf

In DS2:
- Can't rearrange items in inventory (helps with quick switching etc)
- Some menus you can't see their requirement stats and things like this - Item Box is one place I want to see if I meet the stat requirements for a weapon before I take it out. If you can do this in the menu box, I haven't seen how to yet!

This, this, this is so annoying. If they fix this issue, it would make the menu so much better.
I want also to see how much I gain with scaling without having to equip the weapon and pass cursor above it.

Working towards that myself, can't wait.

Is it worth putting some points in ADP for a pure STR build? I've left my agility at the base value for the whole game thus far.

I guess it depends on what your equip load is and what armor you're wearing. I'm outfitted in Creighton's gear+10 and can roll pretty quickly. My ADP is around 30, though, so take that with a grain of salt. But, dual wielding a combo of clubs is absolutely monstrous. Dual wield for normal enemies, and switch over to a Great Club 2-handed for strong attacks on more powerful ones. Literally nothing can take more than two hits.

Soulhouf

Any pure STR builds running dual Great Clubs, or combo of Large Club and Great Club?

I don't find dual wielding big weapons that effective. It's so heavy, eats up all your stamina and the damage isn't that high (more often than not only one weapon connects which waste your stamina for nothing).
Big weapons are better 2 handed.

ElFly

Any pure STR builds running dual Great Clubs, or combo of Large Club and Great Club?

Dunno why you'd go with a mix if you have two great clubs.

Of course that starts from the assumption that you have two great clubs (it'd require ascetic use) and of course, maybe you already upgraded the Large Club.

I like dual wield ultra greatswords makes me look and feel like an ultra badass.
Zweihander needs a damage buff. 500 damage that's greatsword level damage.

Top Bottom