• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

zma1013

Unfucking believable. I was almost done with a zero death run and a
dragon lands on the long bridge to the dragon shrine. I've crossed the bridge a million times before and NOTHING HAPPENED. Why would I expect that?? Fuck you FROM.

How is your controller and television still intact after this?

Minamu

Regarding the no bonfire run, would previous deaths in NG count towards you in NG+ and beyond should one choose to not make a new character from scratch?

Regarding the no bonfire run, would previous deaths in NG count towards you in NG+ and beyond should one choose to not make a new character from scratch?
They don't count, I just did it on NG+ :)

It's a fun run because you have to be strategic in which bonfires to light. The hardest part was not resting at bonfires in places like Undead Crypt, I really didn't want to walk backwards through Shrine of Amana and the last bonfire I used after Drangleic was the first SoA bonfire. After I'd done all that path of the game to Velstadt, I then backtracked to Majula from SoA, so maybe I could've planned that better - but you have to backtrack at somepoint after getting the King's Ring to use it in Forest of Fallen Giants.

I also thought it was very possible to do this on NG, I stocked 99 herbs, 99 repair powders etc and only used a handful. I'd love to see a no bonfire run done on NG using just the items you find around.

It's the blue impale attack, I was cursed right after being impaled. But non of the pursurers left the battle.
It's done yesterday as well
That's strange. I'm not sure what the requirements are of being cursed, do you have to be in human form? I don't remember if I was or not but I definately got cursed and one of the left in the same smoke they arrive in.

Minamu

They don't count, I just did it on NG+ :)

It's a fun run because you have to be strategic in which bonfires to light. The hardest part was not resting at bonfires in places like Undead Crypt, I really didn't want to walk backwards through Shrine of Amana and the last bonfire I used after Drangleic was the first SoA bonfire. After I'd done all that path of the game to Velstadt, I then backtracked to Majula from SoA, so maybe I could've planned that better - but you have to backtrack at somepoint after getting the King's Ring to use it in Forest of Fallen Giants.

I also thought it was very possible to do this on NG, I stocked 99 herbs, 99 repair powders etc and only used a handful. I'd love to see a no bonfire run done on NG using just the items you find around.
That's good to hear. So essentially it becomes a game of knowing which bonfires are the best to activate and which ones to avoid, like the Gutter, although, the primal fires are okay I believe? I'm surprised I havenät seen any guides on how to do it yet. I think I'm gonna cheat and run straight for the Castle when I can in NG++ next round. I'll be around lvl 300 by then anyway so it should be fairly easy I think :) It's just a matter of how you get back to Majula fast enough to level up when you need it, or if you're not gonna bother at all at that stage.

Primal bonfires are fine to use yep.

I didn't level at all, I used my souls at end of NG to level to SL150 and buy some stuff so I had 7 souls left, so I could easily count the 2 million needed in NG+ to open up Shrine of Winter - at this point I was doing no death/no bonfire and planned to skip as much as possible to get to the Castle, but I died so...

Some bonfires can put an end to your run. If you do the Gargoyles and then go down for the Bastille key, you can't get back out. If you lit the bonfire down there too, it's over. So always be on guard around bonfires, it's so tempting and ingrained in your muscle memory to press the button when you're near!

So, think I'll try out the no-death run for that ring or whatever you get as a reward. What class would you all suggest? I'm primarily experienced as a pure STR and melee build. Should I just stick with that?

Primal bonfires are fine to use yep.

I didn't level at all, I used my souls at end of NG to level to SL150 and buy some stuff so I had 7 souls left, so I could easily count the 2 million needed in NG+ to open up Shrine of Winter - at this point I was doing no death/no bonfire and planned to skip as much as possible to get to the Castle, but I died so...

Some bonfires can put an end to your run. If you do the Gargoyles and then go down for the Bastille key, you can't get back out. If you lit the bonfire down there too, it's over. So always be on guard around bonfires, it's so tempting and ingrained in your muscle memory to press the button when you're near!

If you cap yourself at 150, you're still eventually going to get invaded and rekt by people who are 300+ etc. Remember that invasions and even seeing summon signs are based on soul memory, not soul level. It's better this way because it prevents veterans from intentionally staying low SL in order to get matched up with genuine nubs, and then reking them with relatively low-stat req end-game gear. Too much of that shit happened in DS1 I swear.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah even if you stop at 150, beating people who keep going is no big thing. My soul memory is like 50mil and I still win a lot more than I lose.

My build is good though. Not OP but good.

If you cap yourself at 150, you're still eventually going to get invaded and rekt by people who are 300+ etc. Remember that invasions and even seeing summon signs are based on soul memory, not soul level. It's better this way because it prevents veterans from intentionally staying low SL in order to get matched up with genuine nubs, and then reking them with relatively low-stat req end-game gear. Too much of that shit happened in DS1 I swear.
I know, but I have no interest in going higher. Soul memory is a trash, broken mechanic and I'm just not interested in leveling up a character towards 99 in all stats I think it's broken and stupid.

We've all had the soul memory discussion over all the DS2 threads before, but I'm in the camp that think there are a) better ways to stop low level twinks and b) some of those better ways are already in the game preventing low level griefing more than soul memory does. All soul memory does is completely break the leveling system and delays griefing until later in the game. Suffice to say, soul memory is the #1 reason that DS2, for me, is primarily a pve game with some co-op, I hate it.

Hobobloke

I know, but I have no interest in going higher. Soul memory is a trash, broken mechanic and I'm just not interested in leveling up a character towards 99 in all stats I think it's broken and stupid.

We've all had the soul memory discussion over all the DS2 threads before, but I'm in the camp that think there are a) better ways to stop low level twinks and b) some of those better ways are already in the game preventing low level griefing more than soul memory does. All soul memory does is completely break the leveling system and delays griefing until later in the game. Suffice to say, soul memory is the #1 reason that DS2, for me, is primarily a pve game with some co-op, I hate it.

Totally agree, I really like the idea someone suggested here with soul memory only being used for matchmaking in NG.

spliced

Just getting back into the game this week after leaving off at Harvest Valley awhile ago. I just beat the
giant in the tree's memory
and I think I'm close to the end because I had some glitch or something where all(?) the bonfires showed up in my travel options but the ones I haven't been to are fuzzed out and I can't travel to them. I'm so curious about so many things but I want to do a caster play through before going spoiler crazy but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold out.

The boss strategy changes I learned in previous Souls are paying off for me so much in this. Just changing from fighting close in to mid range or fighting from the non weapon side instead of the weapon side got me the victory within a few attempts. I was surprised the
Looking Glass Knight was so far into the game
, I'm assuming that was the demo boss since I never watched it myself.

Just getting back into the game this week after leaving off at Harvest Valley awhile ago. I just beat the
giant in the tree's memory
and I think I'm close to the end because I had some glitch or something where all(?) the bonfires showed up in my travel options but the ones I haven't been to are fuzzed out and I can't travel to them. I'm so curious about so many things but I want to do a caster play through before going spoiler crazy but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold out.

The boss strategy changes I learned in previous Souls are paying off for me so much in this. Just changing from fighting close in to mid range or fighting from the non weapon side instead of the weapon side got me the victory within a few attempts. I was surprised the
Looking Glass Knight was so far into the game
, I'm assuming that was the demo boss since I never watched it myself.

The map/bonfire thing isn't a glitch. But, still confusing, at least it was to me, too.

Jaeger

DS2 is so much faster, and smoother than 1. The frame rate issue really is jarring, in one after playing 2 for so long,

I think the 'guard-break' is my favourite new addition to DS. I've become pretty decent at predicting when a player is going to approach with their shield up. Guard-break -> critical -> Avelyn on fleeing chugger = Satisfaction Souls.

I've also recently begun living on the edge a little... I've completely ditched my shield for PvP (I know, I know; not that crazy, but I'm very much a 'sword and board' kind of guy).

To complement, I'm running with a +5 Dark Royal Dirk, an Avelyn on my back and a full Heide Knight set, which looks incredibly swish. The Dirk is truly rad when two-handed and coupled with the Stone Ring. The mix of dagger, straight sword and thrusting sword movesets is great; not to mention, the base damage and scaling are very respectable. Close the gap with the rapier-like rolling RB and go nuts with the super quick dagger slices.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wait hold on, so if you do a no bonfire run, that means that at some point, pretty much everything in the land is dead right? Nothing ends up respawning simply because you changed areas?

JayEH

Ok so tomorrow I'm probably going to restart DS2, I haven't played in a couple of months so I think it'd just be best for me to start over. I really liked Dark Souls 1 and it's easily one of my favorite games of all time. But for some reason I couldn't get into 2.

Anyway, I have a quick question about starting classes. So everyone knows in Demon's Souls, picking the Royal was considered "easy mode". In DS2, I'm thinking of starting as a sorcerer, is that considered the noob class here as well? I'm just asking because I'd rather pick an easier class this time around. On my first go, I went with a swordsman and that was a mistake.

Thanks in advance.

Arjen

Ok so tomorrow I'm probably going to restart DS2, I haven't played in a couple of months so I think it'd just be best for me to start over. I really liked Dark Souls 1 and it's easily one of my favorite games of all time. But for some reason I couldn't get into 2.

Anyway, I have a quick question about starting classes. So everyone knows in Demon's Souls, picking the Royal was considered "easy mode". In DS2, I'm thinking of starting as a sorcerer, is that considered the noob class here as well? I'm just asking because I'd rather pick an easier class this time around. On my first go, I went with a swordsman and that was a mistake.

Thanks in advance.

Cleric is easy mode imho.
Mace is by far the best starting weapon, heal helps a lot in the beginning and you can get lightning spears pretty fast as well.

So I'm dual wielding Zweihanders and the transition from a rolling attack into a power stance light attack is SO fast. There's literally no windup animation in between either, it's just instant. I honestly feel like I'm cheating when using it. I mean, the combo is like destroying people in PvP.

Is it a glitch or something? Or is it like that when dual wielding any ultra greatsword? It just seems so abnormally quick, especially since it's an ultra greatsword.

Soulhouf

Wait hold on, so if you do a no bonfire run, that means that at some point, pretty much everything in the land is dead right? Nothing ends up respawning simply because you changed areas?

When you die everything respawn and your gear is repaired even if you don't rest at a bonfire.
Unless you are good enough to not die at all and assuming that the game isn't like DS1, aka when you go far enough from an area the enemies come back, that isn't going to happen.

Is it a glitch or something? Or is it like that when dual wielding any ultra greatsword? It just seems so abnormally quick, especially since it's an ultra greatsword.

I don't think it's a glitch. Zweihander has always been a superb weapon. They made it more subtle in DS2 that's all.
At first it seems weaker than the other ultra great swords but the more you use it the more you discover its hidden virtues.
You can do it with other UGS though but that's where the weight x2 becomes a serious obstacle.

Theoretically yes, if you visited every area. Although I know in DS1 if you walked far enough away from an area enemies respawned. In practice, you probably don't want to visit every area on such a run and instead open Shrine of Winter by accumulating 1m souls (2m in NG+ and so on). Also you can use homeward bones and aged feathers which respawn enemies too.

Soulhouf

Last night I did some testing with a friend regarding how damage is reduced.
I wanted to share my results, so here it is.
1/Pure physical damage: 40 str, 40 dex with a Zweihander+10
- Damage VS a naked guy: ~500
- Damage VS full upgraded Havel ~350

2/Dark Zweihander with minimal requirement buffed with Resonant Weapon
- Damage VS a naked guy ~700
- Damage VS full upgraded Havel with Dispelling Ring ~150

The result is very interesting because the split dark damage does higher damage VS no defense and seems to get a harsh diminishing VS high defense.
I assume fire/lightning/magic follow the same rule.

maomaoIYP

The result is very interesting because the split dark damage does higher damage VS no defense and seems to get a harsh diminishing VS high defense.

HOLY FUCK.

GRIP

Last night I did some testing with a friend regarding how damage is reduced.
I wanted to share my results, so here it is.
1/Pure physical damage: 40 str, 40 dex with a Zweihander+10
- Damage VS a naked guy: ~500
- Damage VS full upgraded Havel ~350

Just out of curiosity, were you co-oping at Old Iron King yesterday (PS3)? Saw a small summon sign with an almost identical name as yours.

Soulhouf

Just out of curiosity, were you co-oping at Old Iron King yesterday (PS3)? Saw a small summon sign with an almost identical name as yours.

Yes, it was me.
That's my co-op character. I was farming smooth & silky stones and that boss is perfect since he goes down so quickly.

GRIP

Yes, it was me.
That's my co-op character. I was farming smooth & silky stones and that boss is perfect since he goes down so quickly.

Ok, I knew I recognized the name. I would have summoned you but I was just trying to get through the area and that fight is a lot easier solo.

What the hell happened to this OT?

The PC one has been getting traction for weeks.
PC one is in the main forum and full of new players. I believe the mods said they will be merged when the PC thread is due to retire to the community forum, so we'll all be one big soul memory gankfest SL838 twinked out family again by then!

Mistel

Banned
PC one is in the main forum and full of new players. I believe the mods said they will be merged when the PC thread is due to retire to the community forum, so we'll all be one big soul memory gankfest SL838 twinked out family again by then!
That should be soon the OT is nearly done.

maomaoIYP

I'm finally getting round to doing a no death no bonfire playthrough with a brand new character.
Doing OK for now, just reached No-Man's. Gonna skip the Sentinels and do the Sentry instead.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You weren't using your squishy co-op character where you?

Wouldn't have mattered if I was in full Havel's with two shoulder-mounted Duke's Dear Freja-style laser cannons and duel-wielding Superboy Prime's fists buffed with hex magic and mounted on the end of a couple of very long and spiky titanium sticks, there were three people all on me as I was coming into the world, bashing away with buffed weapons and Hex magic.

But in answer to your question, no, I was using my other squishy co-op character. I tend to role-play rather than power-play, so all my characters are relatively squishy. Doesn't stop me from winning PvP matches... 3 v 1 does. XD

People invade, then run to mobs and pop heal miracle when get low? Fuck invaders, they try anything just to win. I should just summon gankers when I saw that invation message.
From now on if you invade me, You gonna get ganked.

Leunam

Well, yeah. I mean there aren't any unwritten rules about invading people unlike in duels/sparring. Sometimes I wish levels had invader only paths that let you screw with your target by allowing you to surprise them from hidden areas.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Honor code or not i just dont see the fun in it. Especially coming across dudes who seem like they have co op ganking builds. Its like playing street fighter against your dad and just anti airing him. I could see doing it as a goof for like ten minutes before getting bored.

Mistel

Banned
Wouldn't have mattered if I was in full Havel's with two shoulder-mounted Duke's Dear Freja-style laser cannons and duel-wielding Superboy Prime's fists buffed with hex magic and mounted on the end of a couple of very long and spiky titanium sticks, there were three people all on me as I was coming into the world, bashing away with buffed weapons and Hex magic.

But in answer to your question, no, I was using my other squishy co-op character. I tend to role-play rather than power-play, so all my characters are relatively squishy. Doesn't stop me from winning PvP matches... 3 v 1 does. XD
You had me until superboy prime so you got zerged that's sucky. My characters seem to be less squishy I've noticed :p.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You had me until superboy prime so you got zerged that's sucky. My characters seem to be less squishy I've noticed :p.

Superboy Prime punched history, which is the epitome of comicbook awesome if you ask me.

Yeah, because you're a power playa, girl! :)

The only weapon my Monk build would consider using other than dual Caestus is the Dragonslayer Spear.

My other co-op build is a lot different :)

Jaeger

Twice in a row now I ran into healers in PVP Blood Covenant. Took them out each time too. Nothing more satisfying.

I'm running a STR/PYRO Build. I'm having the most success I've ever had, right now. I hit really hard, buffing my Greataxe with fire and double handing it. When people start to get stab happy, I parry with my Shotel. Swap out the Greataxe for the Sword and punish. Runners and healers get the Posion Mist, then Forbidden Sun.

TEADIyDY.jpg

NQs6kaUz.jpg

RIGHT -
Drakekeeper's Greataxe +10
Drakekeeper's Sword +10
LEFT - Shotel +10
Pyromancy Flame +10

FASHION SOULS -
Xanthous Crown +4
Hollow Soldier Armor +10
Penal Handcuffs +2
Executioner Leggings +3