• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Superboy Prime punched history, which is the epitome of comicbook awesome if you ask me.

Yeah, because you're a power playa, girl! :)

The only weapon my Monk build would consider using other than dual Caestus is the Dragonslayer Spear.

My other co-op build is a lot different :)
Even compared to Venom biting off and eating someones arm? You're interested in the spear you should know that it can't be infused or enchanted before hand.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Even compared to Venom biting off and eating someones arm? You're interested in the spear you should know that it can't be infused or enchanted before hand.

Waaaay better. That's schlocky 90s crap. Gimme crazy Silver Age-esque antics any day of the week. Something with a bit of imagination.

Yeah, it's cool. It just fits the build.

You on later?

Mistel

Banned
Waaaay better. That's schlocky 90s crap. Gimme crazy Silver Age-esque antics any day of the week. Something with a bit of imagination.

Yeah, it's cool. It just fits the build.

You on later?
Thunderbolts aren't nineties crap far better than that:
498416-steel_spider_venom_mike_deodato.jpg

I'll be on later if you'd like to jolly co-op?

Z..

About to start this for the first time.

DeS and DaS veteran of several NG+'s in both.

Any tips?

Thinking of going for a melee faith or sorcery build, never really explored those avenues in past games. Good idea or do they suck in DS2?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
84 as the symbiote and 88 as Venom so not the nineties.

I know. You forget, I was actually reading them at the time... y'know, rather than checking Google a few moments ago ;P

The Todd McFarlane Venom (not the symbiote) is very much a part of the post- Watchmen/DKR "Let's make comics more adult by making them more violent and gritty" fallout more easily surmised as "90s crap", the full effects of which took flight in the early to mid-nineties (hence the moniker). I'm more than happy to discuss this in detail via PM. It's interesting stuff!

In short, Eras in any art form, be it Baroque music or Renaissance Art or whatever, don't tend to start and end exactly on January 1st of a given decade/year. XD

On Topic, how about that Magic, huh? Totes over powered, huh?

Any tips?

Thinking of going for a melee faith or sorcery build, never really explored those avenues in past games. Good idea or do they suck in DS2?
Forget about blocking and backstabbing, ds2 is all about dodging.
Mobs tend to gank you a lot in this game, beware. Summon whenever it's possible because bosses like to gank too, especially Ng+.
For str and dex, just get enough to use your weapon and gear, because scaling in this game sucks. 50 str with A scaling can only get you about 50 damage.
Lightning spear is really powerful for pve.

Soulhouf

Any tips?

Don't destroy wooden chests and illusory walls are opened by pressing X button just like Doom/King's Field/Shadow Tower...
Other than that, since you're a veteran, you don't need anything else. You'll get used to the new mechanics soon enough.

Mistel

Banned
I know. You forget, I was actually reading them at the time... y'know, rather than checking Google a few moments ago ;P

The Todd McFarlane Venom (not the symbiote) is very much a part of the post- Watchmen/DKR "Let's make comics more adult by making them more violent and gritty" fallout more easily surmised as "90s crap", the full effects of which took flight in the early to mid-nineties (hence the moniker). I'm more than happy to discuss this in detail via PM. It's interesting stuff!

In short, Eras in any art form, be it Baroque music or Renaissance Art or whatever, don't tend to start and end exactly on January 1st of a given decade/year. XD

On Topic, how about that Magic, huh? Totes over powered, huh?
Yay let's do that I forget that your a lot older than I am so you probably read them all where as I've got hand me downs and the odd reprint.

Magic is totes overpowered see dark fog with bat staff.

Minamu

Music to my ears. I've always been a dodge fiend. ^^

Did they get rid of backstabbing? That'd be awesome, though I feel it ain't the case...
Nah it's just mich harder to find the right spot for it. There's also guard break which is a free frontal stab. Really nasty.

Actually backstab is still very viable. It's just Enemies turn too fast, it's hard to do backstab by circling around. Roll behind enemies is the best way to do backstab. You will take damage while doing a backstab if others are attacking you, though I felt that the damage you received during that moment is reduced.
The best way to play the game is to bait enemies miss their attack then you move in attack few times, back off when low on stamina. save a bit stamina if you need to roll away. Stamina management is the key in this game.

Minamu

I've never got the hang of that.
Same here. i haven't really tried to make it a part of my strategy to be honest and now I'm rolling with my Mundane Santier's Spear+5 anyway so guard break isn't an option at the moment. Completely forget about it until someone does it to me in pvp.

The whole Sinner's Rise section is really lame. You can't kite Lost Sinner without
lighting the room, but you can't light the room without fighting Gargoyles, which is just a stupid rollfest and an awful excuse for a "boss fight." And on NG+ those stupid pyromancers show up.

Sometimes it feels like this game was designed with a "more enemies onscreen = better" mentality.

The whole Sinner's Rise section is really lame. You can't kite Lost Sinner without
lighting the room, but you can't light the room without fighting Gargoyles, which is just a stupid rollfest and an awful excuse for a "boss fight." And on NG+ those stupid pyromancers show up.

Sometimes it feels like this game was designed with a "more enemies onscreen = better" mentality.
I agree.

I'm doing some PVP at Iron Keep on the bridge.
My PSN name is Tremonti5150 if anyone wants to fight me.
Make sure to send a message after so I know you're from here.
lol

dkoy

Someone please teach me how to deal with washing pole/full havel rolling/buffers :( I swear 70% of the people I fight in Undead Purgatory buff and 3 hit me with havels while rolling. Avelyns optional. Along with dark fog. :(

maomaoIYP

Someone please teach me how to deal with washing pole/full havel rolling/buffers :( I swear 70% of the people I fight in Undead Purgatory buff and 3 hit me with havels while rolling. Avelyns optional. Along with dark fog. :(

Full havels are usually a battle of attrition. Katana's running attack tends to miss if you're strafing all the time. Also katanas tend to have poorer stunlocking ability than greatswords.
But otherwise I've got nothing.

Does it still bother anyone else that Nashandra
looks nothing like Manus or the Oolacile people? They had no skeleton motif whatsoever, and yet here's Nashandra, who looks like Nito's sister.

Either I really suck or people in fighting at the undead purgatory are really cheap.
Or both.

Edit: I take it back. I just had to buff my weapon and I can destroy people. so weird.

spliced

Yes finally beat it. 75 hours.

I was a pretty high level (146) but I'm pretty happy since I beat it mostly blind, I did see some stuff but it was mostly game mechanics, stat information and covenant info. I really had almost no idea about the levels, enemies or boss battles and I didn't look up any info. I also didn't purposely read messages, summon or use human effigys. The whole invasion while hollow didn't really end up being much of a thing besides the bell towers and the reverse-invasions by the dirty rats.

Overall I was happy with the difficulty, I died several times in a bunch of areas but never really hit a major roadblock. The combat isn't as fun as DS1 and I didn't really like the excessive about of items.

Next up for me is a caster play through, but before I do that I want to go look up why I'm not in ng+ after beating the game, I'm back in Majula for some reason.

You go full Havel rolling buffer and weapon of your choice. After failing at fashion souls in pvp, I realized that shit don't work. What works is use the strongest things this game can offer then it's GG.
With the existence of Havel, there is no reason to use anything else. 1100+ physical defense when fully upgraded, add ring of steel protection, good luck killing that.
Abuse it while you can. Maybe one day Havel is gonna get nerfed, and I can't wait to see that day to come.

Yes finally beat it. 75 hours.

I was a pretty high level (146) but I'm pretty happy since I beat it mostly blind, I did see some stuff but it was mostly game mechanics, stat information and covenant info. I really had almost no idea about the levels, enemies or boss battles and I didn't look up any info. I also didn't purposely read messages, summon or use human effigys. The whole invasion while hollow didn't really end up being much of a thing besides the bell towers and the reverse-invasions by the dirty rats.

Overall I was happy with the difficulty, I died several times in a bunch of areas but never really hit a major roadblock. The combat isn't as fun as DS1 and I didn't really like the excessive about of items.

Next up for me is a caster play through, but before I do that I want to go look up why I'm not in ng+ after beating the game, I'm back in Majula for some reason.
Check the bonfire at majula, there's an option for ng+

dkoy

You go full Havel rolling buffer and weapon of your choice. After failing at fashion souls in pvp, I realized that shit don't work. What works is use the strongest things this game can offer then it's GG.
With the existence of Havel, there is no reason to use anything else. 1100+ physical defense when fully upgraded, add ring of steel protection, good luck killing that.
Abuse it while you can. Maybe one day Havel is gonna get nerfed, and I can't wait to see that day to come.

I refuse to respec into a buffer havel roller out of pure principle. I have decided to get some better armour (that could still pass in fashion souls) which has helped immensely.

I am dying way too much in the Iron Keep. I wanted to ask : I am using Drangleic set since a few hours now (almost lvl 80) and I can't find something else. Since I like playing shield + claymore the Drangleic set + sword fits me, but are there any better armor or sword somewhere? Is it worth changing?

Arcayne

I am dying way too much in the Iron Keep. I wanted to ask : I am using Drangleic set since a few hours now (almost lvl 80) and I can't find something else. Since I like playing shield + claymore the Drangleic set + sword fits me, but are there any better armor or sword somewhere? Is it worth changing?

Have you finished a spider infested zone yet? Theres an armor upgrade after a primary boss there. As for right now, check with the armorer in Majula for the Alva Armor set or Elite Knight Armor set. Drop the Drang. Sword and use good ol' Claymore again :)

Minamu

Zweihander is close to the beginning of Iron Keep.

Mistel

Banned
For those with weapons use a monastery scimitar to parry them then attack them whilst they are down or you could go big with great hammers and beat them to a pulp.

What path do people take when doing a bonfire ascetic speedrun? Can't find much info on it offhand.
I'm not sure what path speedrunners take, but when I did a run to get Vanquisher's Seal asap, I needed 4 bonfire ascetics and the quickest way to get them was pick one as your starting gift, the one in Lost Bastille, the one Chloanne sells (pick up the fragrant branches of yore whilst in Harvest Valley) and then do Shaded Woods, Najka, and Congregation bosses to get the one by Cromwell - that's 4 as early as possible I think.

Top Bottom