• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A little off topic but I only need 2 achievements for DS1, miracles and weapons. How time consuming are those? Might go back and get them now.

Weapons require boss souls, so you'll get those with times. Miracles requires a few clans ranked up, sunbros notable. Otherwise not too bad. At least it isn't NG++ like DS2.

Mistel

Banned
Okay, I'm stuck. After the two Dragonriders/not Oresteins' at the Castle, the fourth bonfire... I've explored the upper areas, and came back around/short-cut? But I can't open the blue door and the switch near the other locked door isn't able to be activated. What gives?
Go to the kings passage and kill the mirror knight.

TheSeks

Go to the kings passage and kill the mirror knight.

I don't have the key for that. I go down the stairs of the bonfire, see a huge hole a lever that can't be used and a door that can't be used. Apparently it's supposed to have an elevator when I've cleared the area out but...? It isn't there?

Blinck

I don't have the key for that. I go down the stairs of the bonfire, see a huge hole a lever that can't be used and a door that can't be used. Apparently it's supposed to have an elevator when I've cleared the area out but...? It isn't there?

I think there's a ladder in there somewhere, in the elevator room, IIRC!

Mistel

Banned
Got the golem in the other room to activate the elevator yet then?

Just offered 20 sunlight medals to shrine. I got parma at 10, but didn't receive sun sword at 20... I got the your covenant level as risen message too. What gives? Bug?

TheSeks

Holy shit. That was intense.

Summoned players for the
Glass Knight. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

*running around while NPC and summon wack him as I'm kiting him around*

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE *take them out, get back to the fight*

Area before that fight was intense as well.

"Hmmm nothing."

*lights up*

"OH SHIT"

L.O.R.D

Holy shit. That was intense.

Summoned players for the
Glass Knight. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

*running around while NPC and summon wack him as I'm kiting him around*

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE *take them out, get back to the fight*

Area before that fight was intense as well.

"Hmmm nothing."

*lights up*

"OH SHIT"
my friend once summoned by the Glass Knight , he kept healing him

TheSeks

my friend once summoned by the Glass Knight , he kept healing him

You can HEAL him? Holy crap. I'm glad that summon didn't do that. I was taking pot shots with thunder at the boss when the boss starts to summon. I'm like "OH NO YOU DON--" *magic bounces off* "Oh shit." *summon*

*summon starts to chase me while the boss focuses on MY summons*

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE *summon starts to catch up to me as I'm running around. Throw magic at boss until summon gives up on chasing me and focuses on my summons, somehow NPC and summon take him out as I'm taking potshots at the boss and we clear them out*

Insane.

Wow, just got the CE Strategy Guide and think it's really good. Going to be a lot of fun doing my third character with this guide. At a glance I am surprised how much I missed even with two playthroughs.

But it has me kinda sad, because now I want to get the Dark and Demons guides and those Amazon shop prices are ridiculous even used. Are they worth it quality-wise in comparison to the Dark Souls 2 guide?

BadTaste

Any tips for Ancient Dragon, I'm pure melee here. I always run towards the tail when it takes to flight but sometimes I'll still get caught in the fire..1 hit kill.. ¬.¬

Mistel

Banned
i tried it , but the chance that you will be summoned is very low , because alot of people standing in line waiting to be summoned , , and there is 1 boss per game
I did and just speared then with my mastodon halberd. I would try with my dual mace of the insolent build but that would take forever.
So, how do you clear up petrified statues that block your path?
Fragrant branches of yore.

Ruuppa

Any tips for Ancient Dragon, I'm pure melee here. I always run towards the tail when it takes to flight but sometimes I'll still get caught in the fire..1 hit kill.. ¬.¬

Wait in front of it for the firebreath, rush in and take 1, maybe 2 swipes at his toes, run back in front of him. If he flaps his wings, run diagonally left or right. This strategy works best with ranged attacks, but might work with melee as well.

daninthemix

What's the sensible way to level up? Not to focus on some endgame or NG+ build, but to actually make the process of NG as painless as possible?

I am somewhat aware of dimishing returns after 20 on most stats. Is it a case of getting VIT, VIG, END and ADP to 20 asap, and either DEX or STR to whatever your chosen weapon requirements are? What order is it best to invest in them?

Overdoziz

Banned
Are you doing it solo?
I'm stuck against him right now with my SL1 character. I guess I'm spoiled being used to more i-frames now >_>
Yeah, did it solo. Felt like summoning people would just cheapen it. What weapon are you using? I'm using a Raw Mace +10 which actually does more damage than my weapon did during my first playthrough so it's not that much harder. Those iframes can be a bitch, though.
I don't wish to intrude but have you considered a Homunculus Mace for your run?
Can't wield that with only 6 strength.

Riposte

I'm not sure if I'm overleveled or not. Because of the way matchmaking works now, I don't throw away tons of souls like I did in the other games. Around what level should be by the time I beat the game? I don't want to pass that.

Soulhouf

Yeah, did it solo. Felt like summoning people would just cheapen it. What weapon are you using? I'm using a Raw Mace +10 which actually does more damage than my weapon did during my first playthrough so it's not that much harder. Those iframes can be a bitch, though.

I'm also using a freshly infused Raw Mace +10 which is very powerful. This is the reinforced club of DSII.
I finished my very first run with a Bandit SL34 without increasing agility at all but I could block some attacks with 10 str.
Now with SL1, I can't block and rolling screws me up from time to time.

I'm also using a freshly infused Raw Mace +10.
I finished my very first run with a Bandit SL34 without increasing agility at all but I could block some attacks with 10 str.

A Raw Mace has the same AR as a regular one at SL1.
If you havent done so you should get the light crossbow and blue wooden shield.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm also using a freshly infused Raw Mace +10.
I barely used a shield in my first playthrough so I guess that helped me quite a bit. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised how much damage you can take even on SL1. Not that many attacks kill you in one hit. Although I guess the second dragon ring and life ring +1 help with that.

eot

Banned
Beating Smelter Demon on SL1 was very satisfying.

I beat him the other night, it's definitely up there with some of the harder Dark Souls fights. Took me more tries than everone but Manus. Gargoyles and Lost Sinner were tricky too, but not as bad. Not sure if it's because of company of champions, but I find the run a bit harder than Dark Souls SL1 overall. There's no good shield to use, you have way less iframes and bosses track you. Thrusting attacks in particular give me a lot of trouble, like Mytha's thrust / charge.

Smelter Demon is probably one of the 3 hardest bosses in this game. Such a pain.

I can't imagine SL1 is that much fun. Especially because the roll animation just plain lies to you until you have 20+ Adaptability.

Soulhouf

I barely used a shield in my first playthrough so I guess that helped me quite a bit. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised how much damage you can take even on SL1. Not that many attacks kill you in one hit. Although I guess the second dragon ring and life ring +1 help with that.

I'm in the Company of Champions covenant if that changes anything. My goal is to obtain the vanquisher seal and complete the run bare handed.
TBH I'm pretty satisfied with how it ended up working so well. I already beat both Demon's and Dark Souls SL1 and with some additional restrictions. At first I thought a SL1 run would be a pain in the ass in DSII but it isn't and once more the developers had this in mind when they designed the game.

@domthybomb: yep, I got the crossbow. Is the Blue Wooden Shield worth upgrading?
Regarding the raw infusion, I didn't pay attention TBH. The upgrade menu in this game is so shitty and doesn't show you how much scaling bonus you gain/lose when you upgrade/infuse, so I didn't bother doing math myself.

TnK

OK, what does it mean to be summoned as a gray ghost? I was summoned, and was trying to kill the enemies, but was then killed by the host? I am confused.

Fragrant branches of yore.

Thank you. Just realized that you are stormtrooper. Was used to the mary jane dp.

Mistel

Banned
OK, what does it mean to be summoned as a gray ghost? I was summoned, and was trying to kill the enemies, but was then killed by the host? I am confused.

Thank you. Just realized that you are stormtrooper. Was used to the mary jane dp.
Gray spirits is part of the rat covenant you get summoned automatically in the doors of pharros or the grave of the saint. They kill you for tails and stuff.

Something different isn't much of a shock I hope.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game for the first time (major spoiler pic)! Took me about 60 hours, but I was doing a lot of side quests and farming. Game was really good, though is also probably the weakest Soul game. Final battle was also the weakest, with the original Dark Souls having the best one.

Top Bottom