• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Final battle was also the weakest, with the original Dark Souls having the best one.
Really ?
Dark 1's final boss was dull as hell. Just a normal swordsman.

If you meant difficulty, I agree they were both awfully pretty easy.

They need a better finale for Dark 3 (whenever it comes out).

TnK

Gray spirits is part of the rat covenant you get summoned automatically in the doors of pharros or the grave of the saint. They kill you for tails and stuff.

Something different isn't much of a shock I hope.

Thanks again =D

Nah, but I realized that there is a red head theme going on with most of your DPs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any tips for Ancient Dragon, I'm pure melee here. I always run towards the tail when it takes to flight but sometimes I'll still get caught in the fire..1 hit kill.. ¬.¬
I tried that strategy for the longest time, and while I did get him on my dex with this method, I find it inconsistent and unreliable. He often turns at sharp angles when doing the AOE attack and running towards the tail can screw you over in those cases.

I prefer this method: bait the frontal breath attack, then run to the front legs and hack away, but keep some stamina to return in front of its head, and if you have stamina to spare, whack its head. That'll bait his head butt attack which you can easily dodge (roll backwards). Then bait his frontal attack again. Though he may leap off to do the AOE at that point, in which case just run away from its head.

If you have strong ranged attacks (such as Sunlight/Great Lightning Spear, Crystal Soul Spear, dual Avelyn, etc.), it's even easier, because you can always stay in front of him, lock on to his head, and hurl your projectiles. On my powerstancing Avelyn user (no, I don't use it in PvP except against douches XD) he almost never did the AOE attack and when he did I was already far from him so running back a bit was pretty safe.

However, no method is foolproof and you could still get clipped by the fire sometimes, so I suggest you try to survive the fire. Flash Sweat works wonders, you can survive the fire with only 22 VGR (+ 3rd Dragon Ring) with it. Great Magic Barrier isn't as good but does cut fire defense too, as do Small Orange Burrs.

You'll need to recast/eat a burr every now and then though, since it doesn't last that long and it's a long fight. If your VGR is high enough you can sometimes survive it without Flash Sweat or a Small Orange Burr, though you need significant fire defense (Flame Quartz+2 helps). I recommend Agdayne's set or the Saint robes because they're light and have high fire defense. The Penal Handcuffs also have strong fire defense.

I beat him many times now, but only once did I beat him without ever getting hit by the fire, so IMO those who say "go naked" give bad advice; surviving the fire is far less frustrating and give you a lot of breathing room.

Good luck!

Radix

Neo Member
I got the Channeler's Trident a couple days ago and its a surprisingly fun and effective PvP weapon.

It's 1h strong attack is unique and attacks multiple times(The tip of the trident spins like a drill) and the 2h strong attack does a silly dance/buff.

Fat8XCQ.jpg

Really ?
Dark 1's final boss was dull as hell. Just a normal swordsman.

If you meant difficulty, I agree they were both awfully pretty easy.

They need a better finale for Dark 3 (whenever it comes out).

A 10-foot tall swordsman with a sword that's on fire and one of the best musical pieces in the series.

At least Gwyn was SUPPOSED to be relatively weak, he's gone Hollow and has been wasting away for hundreds or thousands of years.
Nashandra
should have been a hell of a lot tougher considering its origins.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
PC version: I received the Kings Ring but the achievement didn't unlock for me. :(
Was playing in offline mode, maybe that had something to do with it. Sigh.
Can you get it again in NG+?

Just defeated the
Guardian Dragon
, that was a pretty cool looking fight. :)

So I got back into Dark Souls again despite my ragequit (as predicted). Faced my first person with a monastery blade or whatever its called today. Recognized he had it and I knew I was fucked; there was literally nothing I could do since if I attacked him normally I knew I'd be dead instantly, but my only range options for PvP are lightning bolts which are just about the easiest thing in the world to dodge. So I just said fuck it and attacked; instant death. Pretty damn lame.

Mistel

Banned
ran out of red orbs... was just starting to have fun with it too
You can farm them with ascetics at soldiers rest 3 a time or you can kill piglets and fire salamanders for them. Or you can win blood bro duels. Buying them should really be a last resort.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So many invaders today. Leave me alone, you assholes. D:

TnK

So many invaders today. Leave me alone, you assholes. D:

I wish people invaded me. None so far.

That being said, my strength is now at level 40, and any increase to level 41 doesn't add a lot. I just beat
The Rotten
and am stuck again, wohoo! How close am I to beating the game? I have a feeling I will be finishing the game at 30 hour mark or so.

Yay!
All four great souls embraced. Now onto Drangleic Castle...
I have no idea how much of the game I have after this point. (And I like it that way!)

Mistel

Banned
I wish people invaded me. None so far.

That being said, my strength is now at level 40, and any increase to level 41 doesn't add a lot. I just beat
The Rotten
and am stuck again, wohoo! How close am I to beating the game? I have a feeling I will be finishing the game at 30 hour mark or so.
40 is the strength soft cap. You are barely near the halfway mark of game.

Soulhouf

Dear game. Since you have a shitty online connectivity, why not implement an automatic retry function when summon sign fail?
It's not that complicated you know.
Getting 5 failures in a row and having to put down the SS every time is pretty annoying to say the least.

AngryMoth

Lots of fun invading this evening. Although at one point was the victim of a lagstabs even worse than this one :p.

About to hit 12m SM, interesting to see if I start running into people at ridiculously high levels like on consoles. Might just make a new character if so.

neoism

I'm now up 7:1 in my Bellbro extermination campaign. These people suck :p

Oh, btw, for PC players: GeDoSaTo 0.5

so guys im playing Dark Souls 2 on a R5780 and it plays wonderful I'm only using sweetfx right now and was wondering I can see the screenshots look fucking amazing.. but my monitor is only a 24in 16:10 :( so I play at 1388x788 or whatever it was... the computer is at 1280x768. would using GeDoSaTo let me play at 1280x768 without the little blackbars???

Finalow

ok, my online is dead and I don't know why. welp

no summon signs, no invasions, invasions failed etc. also I'd say that not being invaded once in Belfry Luna tower for the 15 minutes I've been there = online is fucking dead.
I thought I got somehow "banned", 'cause in ng I got a couple of dcs (thanks, steam) while I was playing online (iirc, co-oping) but the item that should fix that doesn't work so I think that's not the problem.
my SM (1.7kk now) might be low for NG+ but come on, it shouldn't be like this, even with cross-region allowed.

so, what's the fucking problem?

I found a fight club. Host just lets red spirits go all out while he heals winners with warmth.
you can find plenty of them in various places, Iron Keep's bridge is one of those places. I did have some fun with that on PS3.

ZangBa

Hey, guys. Is it frowned upon to post videos I've made? I've uploaded a couple videos with PvP clips. They aren't anything special, and my editing/PvP skills leave something to be desired. I just made them for funsies.

Zeliard

ok, my online is dead and I don't know why. welp

no summon signs, no invasions, invasions failed etc. also I'd say that not being invaded once in Belfry Luna tower for the 15 minutes I've been there = online is fucking dead.
I thought I got somehow "banned", 'cause in ng I got a couple of dcs (thanks, steam) while I was playing online (iirc, co-oping) but the item that should fix that doesn't work so I think that's not the problem.
my SM (1.7kk now) might be low for NG+ but come on, it shouldn't be like this, even with cross-region allowed.

so, what's the fucking problem?

Did you burn an effigy at the bonfire? You're in NG+ so I'm going to assume you wouldn't make that error, but just curious.

Mistel

Banned
SM (1.7kk now) might be low for NG+ but come on, it shouldn't be like this, even with cross-region allowed.
That's the only issue I can think of is that you've effectively cut yourself from everyone else by moving to NG+ with that soul memory. Few are going to be at your SM at all I'm afraid.

Finalow

Did you burn an effigy at the bonfire? You're in NG+ so I'm going to assume you wouldn't make that error, but just curious.
I didn't.

That's the only issue I can think of is that you've effectively cut yourself from everyone else by moving to NG+ with that soul memory. Few are going to be at your SM at all I'm afraid.
I'm not sure what's the SM range but it should be at least something like 1-3 kk? Even being around 2-3 millions isn't quite normal for ng+? I don't think that everyone just start farming bosses or whatever after they've killed everything in the first run, instead of going to ng+.
is anyone here around that SM range in ng+?

I don't know if that's the case and you're right, it still seems strange to be dead like that. I only see messages and other players shadows, and usually on ng+ there are a shitload of people. I even killed some npcs so I should be invaded by blue phantoms too.

Mistel

Banned
I'm not sure what's the SM range but it should be at least something like 1-3 kk? Even being around 2-3 millions isn't quite normal for ng+? I don't think that everyone just start farming bosses or whatever after they've killed everything in the first run, instead of going to ng+.

I don't know if that's the case and you're right, it still seems strange to be dead like that. I only see messages and other players shadows, and usually on ng+ there are a shitload of people. I even killed some npcs so I should be invaded by blue phantoms too.
For you at 1.7million your range is 1,500,000 - 1,749,999 off the top of my head. I assume everyone brought as much as they could afford and finished all optional content as possible before moving on to NG+. I'd expect an rather generous approximate range of 2M to 5M for NG+.

Now you with 1.7 million are only 700K over the requirement to bypass the 4 great ones in the first playthrough which is a very small amount. I can't think of a way to power level yourself without being summoned other than soul collection gear even still that would take a long time to reach the range of the majority.

Soulhouf

I didn't.

I have a character with 900k SM in the beginning of NG+ and I'm seeing summon signs. I don't think that's the issue.
Did you turn on your PS3 version if you still have it to check if you have the same problem?

maomaoIYP

Killing all the bosses in a very quick, 15h run to make a SL 150 character for PvP puts me at 1.8 SM. Most players are going to have a lot more if they retried many areas more than a few times.
edit: Also, players who like PvP without too much bullshit will actually stay in NG for it. No maxed havels, no dualavelyns, no wrath of god etc.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I tried to use cracked eye orbs 50 times (literally) or even more and it failed every single time.

are you in ng+ as well? SM?

It's happening across all 4 of my characters, 3 of them in NG+ in the 2 million SM range, 1 in NG at about 300k SM.

Mistel

Banned
So the solution to a slightly broken matchmaking involving twinks was to introduce a mechanic that actually breaks matchmaking itself. Not quite sure what the whole grand idea for SM was but I hope it wasn't this.

I wish I had Bück Dich as my theme tune when I invade.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn, Vendricks huge. You're telling me I have to fight that!?

maomaoIYP

Just invaded the aerie. The host was farming reds by summoning blues. I got killed by a GRS parry-riposte 2 man combo. I use the red orb again, this time I invade the blue who was helping his friend farm reds. I murder the shit out of him. Revenge is sweet.

Finalow

It's happening across all 4 of my characters, 3 of them in NG+ in the 2 million SM range, 1 in NG at about 300k SM.
I'd say that I'm glad that I'm not the only one then.

Killing all the bosses in a very quick, 15h run to make a SL 150 character for PvP puts me at 1.8 SM. Most players are going to have a lot more if they retried many areas more than a few times.
edit: Also, players who like PvP without too much bullshit will actually stay in NG for it. No maxed havels, no dualavelyns, no wrath of god etc.
to be fair, in ng+ you get a lot of better stuff (mostly rings) so a lot of people just go there for pvp as well. WoG is kind of boring and long to get in ng+, also you can get dual avelyns and stuff like that even in ng.

For you at 1.7million your range is 1,500,000 - 1,749,999 off the top of my head. I assume everyone brought as much as they could afford and finished all optional content as possible before moving on to NG+. I'd expect an rather generous approximate range of 2M to 5M for NG+.

Now you with 1.7 million are only 700K over the requirement to bypass the 4 great ones in the first playthrough which is a very small amount. I can't think of a way to power level yourself without being summoned other than soul collection gear even still that would take a long time to reach the range of the majority.
oh forgot that there is that range caclulator + tiers on the wiki. that's the tier I'm in but the calculator says that I'm range with 1.2kk to 2.1kk more or less.

the only thing I can do is grind and go on but there surely are people that still have no problems to play online and got a similar if not less SM in ng+.

I have a character with 900k SM in the beginning of NG+ and I'm seeing summon signs. I don't think that's the issue.
Did you turn on your PS3 version if you still have it to check if you have the same problem?
^
I didn't try on my PS3 version. I guess I could but I don't think it's a problem from my net or something like that. it feels more like game-pc version related.

This one blue guy will not stop invading me... I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he utterly destroys me every time with a classic Dark Souls 1 strategy: The sudden backstab when it looks like they are in front of you.

I've honestly never seen it from any other opponent in DS2 but this guy does it to me every single time and I just can't do anything about it :( I'm sure there are plenty of other sinners to invade but he's constantly entering my game.

Top Bottom