• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

RedSwirl

Fuck. There's this area of upper ramparts I can see in the Lost Bastille but can't get to.

On the bridge linking it to Sinner's Rise I can see the entrance and exit of this area on either side of the bridge. I can also tell where the window is in the Bastille that forms the exit, but haven't been able to find the entrance I can see.

Do you need the Bastille key for this or something?

xBladeM6x

I just noticed I was on the previous PC Wall of Shame for the last DS2 topic.

f1B0p3V.png

This pleases me. Also, is it reasonable to make a Pyro / Dex / Hex character?

Also, is it reasonable to make a Pyro / Dex / Hex character?

Absolutely, you'll be unstoppable.

Somehow I keep being invaded by the same guy and I also keep invading him, despite changing locations...

He's an absolute bastard too, Gower's Ring, Manakin Mask, some kind of poison dagger, Monastary Scimitar for insta-parries, Wrath of the Gods... I just cannot beat him but he's the only opponent I'm getting. I guess I'll have to try the BoB arena for a while.

Booshka

I felt the same about Dark Souls 1, to be honest... ;)

Except that Soul Level based player matching made the PvP more bearable. Also, I can beat any level player with a SL 120-130 in Dark Souls 1. I cannot beat most super high level players in Dark Souls 2 just because how insane level scaling is in this game. You get like layers upon layers of defense as you continue to grind through levels. Mundane also becomes completely broken OP at super high Soul Levels.

PvP is just broken and poorly though out all around. I could put up with Dark Souls 1 problems, not so much in this one.

maomaoIYP

Except that Soul Level based player matching made the PvP more bearable. Also, I can beat any level player with a SL 120-130 in Dark Souls 1. I cannot beat most super high level players in Dark Souls 2 just because how insane level scaling is in this game. You get like layers upon layers of defense as you continue to grind through levels. Mundane also becomes completely broken OP at super high Soul Levels.

PvP is just broken and poorly though out all around. I could put up with Dark Souls 1 problems, not so much in this one.

I think the arenas are fine, so is staying in NG just for the PvP.
The max tier SM range is kind of crazy, but not many people are going to be SL 838 anyway, and in any case if you're going for that PvP range might as well join the crowd. I was initially dismissive of ultra high SL PvP as well, because there isn't a semblance of a build to be had, but now that I've tried it, I'm actually having lots of fun. Everyone has ultra high SL, so a lot of the combat boils down to skill.

FromSoft, you have such amazing ideas for multiplayer! Why are the implementations always just broken in very important ways?

Hopefully they have interest in balancing PVP and completely redoing or removing the Soul Memory system in this game. I'm not hopeful at this point that will happen, however.

Maybe they'll nail PVP in the next game...

But hey, at least co-op is still fun. And I enjoy a bit of PVP here and there, but it's just not something that I'm interested at all in investing very much in for the future.

Haunted

Edit: I'm listening to the DSII soundtrack right now and... really not finding too much that really stands out.

What were your guys favorite DSII songs?
I can't even think of any noteworthy ones except for Majula's theme.

But your post reminded me that I have the soundtrack in my Digital Extras directory. I didn't listen to it or read the track names when I first checked it out because of spoilers, but now I can! Will update if I come across great tracks I somehow missed/forgot while playing.

Fuck. There's this area of upper ramparts I can see in the Lost Bastille but can't get to.

On the bridge linking it to Sinner's Rise I can see the entrance and exit of this area on either side of the bridge. I can also tell where the window is in the Bastille that forms the exit, but haven't been able to find the entrance I can see.

Do you need the Bastille key for this or something?

If it is what I am envisioning, yes, you need the Bastille key, it is the cell next to Straid. It's supposed to be a shortcut I guess, but it's not terribly useful.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The lag can be pretty bad, but at least I can make a connection to other players quickly. In DS1 I'd usually have to wait 10 to 20 minutes for a connection, whereas I can PVP or co-op almost instantly in DS2.

I find the lag is more or less like most other online games. At the very least, it's way more acceptable than DaS.

Minamu

Yep, good intentions but bad execution in those two areas. It's why I'm pretty much dreading going to Sol. :/

And apparently the Dust I'm missing is the one that drops off an enemy. GG From. :/ Means I can't get it this run but thankfully means I can get it in NG+ I guess. :/

Now to finish the game after getting the estus shards and exploring the last two areas I need to see.
LTTP maybe, but try an ascetic? It's not like Dragonrider is that hard :)

TnK

I need a lot of help with these annoying sentinel bosses. They are really destroying me. How do I handle both of them?

Mistel

Banned
I have a Halberd +10, strength 40 dexterity 37, and the damage I was dealing to the final boss was pretty pathetic, as well as nearly nonexistent (like 50-100) to
Vendrick
. Do they have resistance to slash/ thrust, or should I infuse it for NG+, and with what?
Why the standard halberd? Mastodon will get better strength scaling.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I only ever do the bow/prostration gesture after winning a Belfry fight, because I know I'm the asshole invader here (yeah yeah "they're trespassers", please, you're all just using that as an excuse for murder and/or to get chunks, fess up.... XD) and taunting after winning what's often a 2v1 seems exceptionally dickish. I often toss the "I'm sorry" carving too.

I had a crap encounter in Belfry Sol on my first playthrough. Hadn't dealt with the npc enemies yet, then a bellboy invades, followed by another shortly after. Barely had a few seconds to do anything about it before being swarmed and backstabbed, then both invaders gestured waves and spammed "very good" carvings. Went straight back up, quickly killed the npcs and waited a few minutes. One of the dudes invades again and it turns out he's not particularly good 1 on 1. Ended up rolling behind him and forking him into the air with my mastodon halberd. Spammed him with "thank you" carvings. It's the little victories that count.

Durante

Farming Bell invaders is fun. I'm up 5-0 in little more than half an hour.

Turns out many people apparently still don't know that Soul Greatsword hits through walls.

cj_iwakura

Edit: I'm listening to the DSII soundtrack right now and... really not finding too much that really stands out.

What were your guys favorite DSII songs?

Things Betwixt,
Vendrick
, uh... not much else. I agree, it's a very unremarkable OST. It's mostly noise and chanting. I miss DeS's music. Heck, even DkS had greatness like Smough & Ornstein. It feels like the composers don't get to make a score, just fight music.

FloatOn

Man.... I hope I'm not the first but I now have ashen mist heart and have no fucking idea what to do.

helpful hints are appreciated I don't want to rely on a guide for this playthrough

Zocano

Man.... I hope I'm not the first but I now have ashen mist heart and have no fucking idea what to do.

helpful hints are appreciated I don't want to rely on a guide for this playthrough

Go back and talk to an NPC that you met, for the first time, earlier (at:
Drangleic Castle
).

Temidien

Neo Member
So whatever estus they used and weapon durability they incurred helping you wasn't restored cause you kicked them.

Don't do this. Ever.

My options were either attempting the
Smelter Demon
in a rushed state of mind (sure to get me killed and thus depriving my summon of estus/durability restoration anyway) or leaving the game running as a I disappear for 20-30 minutes, leaving my summon confused and frustrated (considering this happened early into them being summoned and most of the enemies were pre-cleared, they would have been stuck in my world for a fair while).

I thought what I did was right in a crappy situation. I'd rather a Sunbro lose some estus/durability than have to twiddle their thumbs for 10-15 min on my account.

maomaoIYP

Try invading in some popular areas, like iron keep or dragon aerie. You have to keep using the items to find players, it's very annoying.

edit: Most players don't hang around the belfries waiting for invasions, because with the bellbros invading it's already too much to handle.

Not played DeS, but it's far and away more stable and playable than DaS.

I didn't have many matches in DaS, but even if laggy most of them were "acceptable" and still somewhat enjoyable.

In DaS 2, like 2/4 PvP fights are so laggy that any possibility of victory is just impossible. I lost the times that my hit connected (sound included) to see that my enemy HP bar didn't moved, getting hit by attacks even if I'm 4/5 meters away, backstabs not working even if my characters does the animation, etc...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't have many matches in DaS, but even if laggy most of them were "acceptable" and still somewhat enjoyable.

In DaS 2, like 2/4 PvP fights are so laggy that any possibility of victory is just impossible. I lost the times that my hit connected (sound included) to see that my enemy HP bar didn't moved, getting hit by attacks even if I'm 4/5 meters away, backstabs not working even if my characters does the animation, etc...

Interesting. It's been the other way around for me. I think the online stability and connectivity is one of the few areas that DS2 outright trounces DS1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yeah, I agree. That's the most annoying thing. I don't think "any possibility of victory is impossible", though. Lag works both ways. The problem is that when I do win, and I win quite a lot, it feels hollow. Felt the same about most victories in Dark Souls and sometimes in Demon's when the lag was too strong (which was far more rare).

Practically everyone in the arena has the monetary scimitar in their second offhand slot. Hope they nerf it soon!
Yeah I noticed that too. I usually swap to Avelyn or ranged battle then because that thing is too broken.
lol @ "monetary" though :D You mean monastery, right? Or I guess that scimitar does do cha-ching! for those that use it... :)

Finalow

Doesn't help they are 10K a go to invade with the cracked red eye orbs if you buy them.
they basically force you to do duels and get red/blue cracked eye orbs from that. I think that's the reason why the didn't put a not cracked eye orb in the game in the first place.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
they basically force you to do duels and get red/blue cracked eye orbs from that. I think that's the reason why the didn't put a not cracked eye orb in the game in the first place.
I'd be totally okay with this actually... but for NG only. NG+ should have unlimited invasions. And it's patently absurd that the blue covenant not only gets no souls after a successful invasion, and they require spending a token to duel too? WTF From? Way to make that covenant useless. :(

Soulhouf

Practically everyone in the arena has the monastery scimitar in their second offhand slot. Hope they nerf it soon!

Yeah that's annoying. I never attack first when I see my opponent have that weapon offhand.
I usually bait them with arrows until they take the initiative.
Also the roll with the inclined angle attack of my Zweihander works really well sending them flying.

TnK

Why did the devs decide to make enemies disappear the more you kill them? If you keep on dying vs the boss, and have to fight through enemies to get there, they eventually disappear, and sometimes you lose all your souls. Just lost 20K souls vs the sinner rise boss.

That being said, the sinner rise boss destroys your shield easily, and he is very very fast. Tips on that boss?

Top Bottom