• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Practically everyone in the arena has the monastery scimitar in their second offhand slot. Hope they nerf it soon!
It's a guaranteed parry more or less so it's not surprising that lots of people are now using them.
they basically force you to do duels and get red/blue cracked eye orbs from that. I think that's the reason why the didn't put a not cracked eye orb in the game in the first place.
I'm just farming the piglets till they give me them with item discovery gear on.

Haunted

Why did the devs decide to make enemies disappear the more you kill them? If you keep on dying vs the boss, and have to fight through enemies to get there, they eventually disappear, and sometimes you lose all your souls. Just lost 20K souls vs the sinner rise boss.

That being said, the sinner rise boss destroys your shield easily, and he is very very fast. Tips on that boss?
It's to prevent unlimited grinding while making it easier to get to a boss if you're having trouble in a level.

Well, that honestly depends on your build. Many of the tips are general and go for many of the bosses in the game. As a melee character, you can tank up with a heavy shield, good stamina and a lot of poise, sticking close to her and circling around to counter after blocking her combos, or go light on the equipment and roll out of her way, again circling around and trying to get one or two hits in (never deplete your stamina completely, it makes you far too vulnerable). For external help, there's a way to light up the arena you're fighting in, and you can summon an NPC called Lucatiel for that fight to share aggro, which will give you more windows for healing, attacking etc.

Good luck!

Haunted

Edit: I'm listening to the DSII soundtrack right now and... really not finding too much that really stands out.

What were your guys favorite DSII songs?
Yeah... I've gone through the OST and there's honestly not much noteworthy stuff there. I didn't look at most of the track names while they were playing (they're named after the bosses) and really couldn't place half of them.

There were some nice nods to the nature of the bosses in the
Duke's Dear Freija and Demon of Song's tracks (background sounds alluding to their spider-y and frog-like nature, respectively)
, but apart from that, it's a lot of really samey sounding tracks.

So what really remains are the Intro, Character Creation and Credits songs as well as the Majula hub theme and the
Queen
and
King Vendrick
tracks, as the latter two don't follow the pumping epic orchestral arrangements that 99% of the bosses seem to share.

I'd say my top 3 would be the Majula hub theme,
King Vendrick
and
The Last Giant

I'm now up 7:1 in my Bellbro extermination campaign. These people suck :p

Oh, btw, for PC players: GeDoSaTo 0.5
Well, they're bellbro scum, of course they're scrubs.

and man, Asmodean's post really saps the colour out of the game, don't like that at all. Dark yet colourful DS2 is best DS2.

maomaoIYP

Yeah that's annoying. I never attack first when I see my opponent have that weapon offhand.
I usually bait them with arrows until they take the initiative.
Also the roll with the inclined angle attack of my Zweihander works really well sending them flying.

I enjoy fighting people who have it equipped. 9 out of 10 spam the parry hoping to connect.

This shit really grinds my gears in every souls game:

fGSd0Ao.jpg

eot

Banned
Edit: I'm listening to the DSII soundtrack right now and... really not finding too much that really stands out.

What were your guys favorite DSII songs?

Skeleton Lords (doesn't fit the fight but I like it)

Last Giant

Darklurker (I think it fits the fight well)

Old Dragonslayer

Ruin Sentinels

Yeah that's annoying. I never attack first when I see my opponent have that weapon offhand.
I usually bait them with arrows until they take the initiative.
Also the roll with the inclined angle attack of my Zweihander works really well sending them flying.

Try using the Syan's Halberd, it has some unparriable attacks.

TnK

It's to prevent unlimited grinding while making it easier to get to a boss if you're having trouble in a level.

Well, that honestly depends on your build. Many of the tips are general and go for many of the bosses in the game. As a melee character, you can tank up with a heavy shield, good stamina and a lot of poise, sticking close to her and circling around to counter after blocking her combos, or go light on the equipment and roll out of her way, again circling around and trying to get one or two hits in (never deplete your stamina completely, it makes you far too vulnerable). For external help, there's a way to light up the arena you're fighting in, and you can summon an NPC called Lucatiel for that fight to share aggro, which will give you more windows for healing, attacking etc.

Good luck!
Aaaaand, done.
You can get a morning start pretty much right at the beginning of the game. Lenigrast sells maces.

Will try to get one then. Is it dumb to try and play the game with only the Greatsword?

BTW, why do some illusionary walls not open up when pressing A next to them? Right now, before the primal bone fire after the sinner boss, there is an illusionary wall, with text saying there is one, and the texture shows there is one. I press A, and it does not open up. What gives?

Leezard

Aaaaand, done.

Will try to get one then. Is it dumb to try and play the game with only the Greatsword?

BTW, why do some illusionary walls not open up when pressing A next to them? Right now, before the primal bone fire after the sinner boss, there is an illusionary wall, with text saying there is one, and the texture shows there is one. I press A, and it does not open up. What gives?

No, they are troll messages. Not all messages are correct.

BadWolf

Just reached Bastille in NG+, its pretty nuts how much faster your second playthrough is.

Also tried some parrying, feels satisfying but they should change the timing to a true parry like you see in fighting games where you do it the instant before getting hit. That makes way more sense.

Killed ruin sentinels in drangleic castle enough times they stopped spawnin, but only got their gauntlets.
From needs to bring back the ds1 drop system where if the enemy is the last one in this play through then all drops from this type of enemy becomes guaranteed.
Example, if you did not get all the drops during the boss encounter of the gargoyles in ds1, then when you reach anor londo, the last gargoyle is going to drop everything.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn, the castle: Enemies hitting like a Freight Truck after fighting twenty enemies to even OPEN the door.

At least I got a bonfire. That's something... right? D:

I guess I should put a summon sign down and hope to get summoned by at 1.5 million SM I doubt that'll happen.

TnK

Not really but the greatsword does have it's drawbacks.
If things become too complicated, I will try to invest in a smaller sword with good STR scaling, any like that?

Well, I am stuck now. I beat the sinner boss, and now I have no idea where to go. Everywhere is a dead end ATM.

Mistel

Banned
If things become too complicated, I will try to invest in a smaller sword with good STR scaling, any like that?

Well, I am stuck now. I beat the sinner boss, and now I have no idea where to go. Everywhere is a dead end ATM.
Can't go wrong with a claymore. Down the pit or through the rotunda to the copse.

BadWolf

You encountered an NPC at Heidi, if you exhausted her dialogues then she should be at Majula and...

seph1roth

Hi guys!

So yesterday i've finished this master piece (for me, at least), now i want to finish the quest lines and other covenants but before starting with NG+ i want to create my personal perfect set.

For example, in Dark Souls 1 i'm using this combination set.

1024x576.resizedimage

Zweihander +15 + grass crest shield as you can see

Which combination set is appropiate for me similar to my set from DS1?

Greatsword carried me through ng through ng++++, the problem is some enemies don't get staggered, they are going to punish you hard while you are stuck in that attack animation. Just learn when to attack, especially slow weapons.
Have you tried dropping down the hole in majula? Need to equip cat ring purchased from the cat in majula.
Have you talked to Lucia the miracle merchant to open another passage.
Have you been to shaded woods?

Hi guys!

So yesterday i've finished this master piece (for me, at least), now i want to finish the quest lines and other covenants but before starting with NG+ i want to create my personal perfect set.

For example, in Dark Souls 1 i'm using this combination set.

1024x576.resizedimage

Zweihander +15 + grass crest shield as you can see

Which combination set is appropiate for me similar to my set from DS1?
The greatsword plus cloranthy ring +2 and you are good to go. The stamina recover shields in this game are terrible. Don't bother.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok so I killed the boss in no mans wharf with lucatiel, so 2 more correct? can you summon her for any boss or only specific ones?

The lost sinners mask?
Zweihander in this game is really weak. Damage output is on par with greatsword class weapon. Unless you have low equipment load, I don't recommend using zwei over the greatsword.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just Smelter, Rotten, Sinner and the the flexile sentry. And yes you only need 3 out of 4.

just met her again in bastille so I guess sinner is next. this is NG+

what about the dude with the blue sword, how do you do his?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Got my 1000/1000 gs on this yesterday, feels good. Although I think I'll need to take a break for now. Finished at SL 210 and about 120hrs, although a good amount if time was probably spent idling. It kind of sucks as I think I over leveled a bit and I don't know if I want to create a new pvp character anytime soon. Amazing game and I had a ton of fun with it. Easily my GOTY so far.

A little off topic but I only need 2 achievements for DS1, miracles and weapons. How time consuming are those? Might go back and get them now.

Got my 1000/1000 gs on this yesterday, feels good. Although I think I'll need to take a break for now. Finished at SL 210 and about 120hrs, although a good amount if time was probably spent idling. It kind of sucks as I think I over leveled a bit and I don't know if I want to create a new pvp character anytime soon. Amazing game and I had a ton of fun with it. Easily my GOTY so far.

A little off topic but I only need 2 achievements for DS1, miracles and weapons. How time consuming are those? Might go back and get them now.
require some farming and multiple souls of single boss.

TnK

Thanks everyone, will try to go where you guys recommended.

Also, seems like I will be keeping the Greatsword.

Soulhouf

I enjoy fighting people who have it equipped. 9 out of 10 spam the parry hoping to connect.
I's funny when that happens. They find themselves out of their usual working tricks and they end up loosing.
I'm getting good at it.

Try using the Syan's Halberd, it has some unparriable attacks.

There are so many weapons in this game I need to try. So far the only Halberd I used was the regular one in my first run because of the low requirement and the fantatic moveset.

The lost sinners mask?
Zweihander in this game is really weak. Damage output is on par with greatsword class weapon.

Zweihander is light and has the best moveset out of all the Ultra Great Swords..

seph1roth

The lost sinners mask?
Zweihander in this game is really weak. Damage output is on par with greatsword class weapon. Unless you have low equipment load, I don't recommend using zwei over the greatsword.

LOL

Now i'm confused, is there any set + weapon/shield combination with great effectiveness then?

Greatsword + is the right choice as you said.

Rhaknar

NG+ is pretty easy so far, up to Sinners Rise (so forrest, tower of flame, no mans wharf, lost bastille)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is multiplayer on PC borked right now? Last night and this morning I haven't been able to be summoned or seen a single summon sign.

LOL

Now i'm confused, is there any set + weapon/shield combination with great effectiveness then?

Greatsword + is the right choice as you said.
Great effectiveness you said? Full havels, dual wield powerstance Avelyn. Or full Havel, hex magic, wrath of god, pyromancy.

Goddamn, the first invasion I try running GDST 0.5 is a 3v1 with sunlight spears flying everywhere and magic popping off all around me; Two gloriously glowing sunbros lighting up the place in a spectacular fashion as I backstabbed the host.

The HDR bloom is seriously awesome.

Rhaknar

well thats sinner down (with lucatiel), he dropped a extra soul this time, old witch soul or something, whats that about

I don't know that I'll ever make it to NG+ since I've gotten bored of both my characters partway through the game. Plus the levels just get more annoying in that last bit, doubt I'll have the will to go through the Shrine of Sniping again...

Interesting fact: my second playthrough has gone roughly 50% faster so far.
I just noticed this thread and read its title.
It's fucking amazing.

Yup... Same here. slowclap.wif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, I'm stuck. After the two Dragonriders/not Oresteins' at the Castle, the fourth bonfire... I've explored the upper areas, and came back around/short-cut? But I can't open the blue door and the switch near the other locked door isn't able to be activated. What gives?

maomaoIYP

Finally got rank 2 in BoB as well. Now I'm extra shiny as both a Bluebro and a Redbro.
Getting that +150 k:d in the bob area was fucking annoying. Now I can finally proceed to do invasions proper.

Top Bottom