• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've decided I'm starting over with a Knight or warrior. Since there doesn't seem to be an advantage (yet) with different levels of dodging, at least that I've noticed, I need a character with a fucking good shield so I don't get crushed by all these ambushes. Also my character looks so stupid with the white beard. At least when hollowed. So im going all out, starting over and pushing through until this clicks.

Also my first message was getting crazy ratings last night near the tower in Majula. Is there any benefit to it anymore? (Visions of death there betray all hope) or something.

Uthred

Pre-ordered the "Black Armour Edition" from SimplyCDKeys, just realised I dont appear to have got the DLC weapons, should I have got a seperate code from SimplyCDKeys for them? Should they show up as DLC under Steam?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone know where the game save lives? I have been playing today in work and would like to carry on from the same game when i get home, but cannot find it anywhere!

Lesson learned.
Hitting a chest once won't break it, they usually take 3 hits. So it's still safe to bash it once in case of
mimics!

Also my first message was getting crazy ratings last night near the tower in Majula. Is there any benefit to it anymore? (Visions of death there betray all hope) or something.
It heals you a little bit when you get a rating :)

"Try rear but hole" and "horse" will ensure you never need an Estus chug!

Question for you guys. I use two monitors in an extended desktop setup. I would like to have the game go on my secondary monitor, instead of the primary. Is there any way to easily make this change?

Always bring a backup. Sure, that particular sword might be your trusty sidekick, but having something with a similar swing on it will help you out on the quick. Might not be optimal, but fucked if it hasn't saved my neck once or twice (in No Man's Wharf, to boot).

iirc only katanas had durability this bad in DS1. I'm using a long sword and it doesn't even last an hour

Anyway, went at the boss again and it was fairly easy. I mean, it was pretty easy solo but with the NPC from that area all I had to do was go 2-handed and go berserk. It's durability was stupidly high. With that done, that's my first day with Dark Souls 2. Clocked in 7 hours which honestly, I didn't have to spare lol

Still can't believe how this PC version turned out. Bravo From!

Hitting a chest once won't break it, they usually take 3 hits. So it's still safe to bash it once in case of
mimics!

Nothing is safe.

I whack every chest once just to be sure, but these new trap chests done got me once pretty far down in the Wharf.

iirc only katanas had durability this bad in DS1. I'm using a long sword and it doesn't even last an hour

Anyway, went at the boss again and it was fairly easy. I mean, it was pretty easy solo but with the NPC from that area all I had to do was go 2-handed and go berserk. It's durability was stupidly high. With that done, that's my first day with Dark Souls 2. Clocked in 7 hours which honestly, I didn't have to spare lol

Still can't believe how this PC version turned out. Bravo From!

Hitting a wall does more durability damage in DS2, I think.

Question for you guys. I use two monitors in an extended desktop setup. I would like to have the game go on my secondary monitor, instead of the primary. Is there any way to easily make this change?

Yes. The easiest method I think, is by using windowed mode with ShiftWindow (you only have to use it once).

1. Start the game normally, and change it to windowed mode.

2. Start ShiftWindow and select Dark Souls II window. Change target monitor to your second monitor and then trigger it.

3. Enjoy! It will start up in fullscreen windowed each time.

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/swrgkqt.png[/IMG]

Zeliard

Is it just me or you can't compare equipment at a merchant? Wasn't there an alternate view in DS1 where you could at least see which stats are better/worse than your equipped item?

It isn't just you. The game simply doesn't sport that feature, for... reasons.

GeDoSaTo is working might fine for me, AMD 7980, 4k downsampled to 1080p with everything on, games looks amazing.

Also seems like a aspect ratio fix with centered hud is coming, so hopefully this will fix black bars with 16:10 and triple screen setups.

iboy065c38TnwQ.jpg

Weird, awesome textures right next to awful ones... oh well

FU@#$@#K$!@

Finally got to the stupid boss of stupid
No Man's Wharf
and my fucking sword breaks mid battle. I'd only thrown a repair powder on it 10 minutes prior

This area is so tedious

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Take heart in knowing the Wharf is the worst offender for testing your durability.

No, seriously. WTF is going on with this game and steam?

This is a clusterfuck.

Deleted the appcache folder, restarted and yet can't play the fucking game.

Tain

GeDoSaTo is working might fine for me, AMD 7980, 4k downsampled to 1080p with everything on, games looks amazing.

Also seems like a aspect ratio fix with centered hud is coming, so hopefully this will fix black bars with 16:10 and triple screen setups.

Any more details on this?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
After spending 25 hours in the PS3 version, the PC version is a revelation. Over twice the framerate, twice the resolution, and loading times are like 5x shorter (possibly the best upgrade of all). 1080p, max settings at what looks like a steady 60fps on a GTX 460.

Also, a slightly upgraded mace does comically high damage to the enemies in Heide's. I should have done that the first time through.

Grief.exe

This...

Is alot harder than Dark Souls / Demon's Souls.

Not sure I like it. So far I haven't been able to advance AT ALL.

3 hours of gameplay and I haven't barely left Mauljra or whatever. I spent 50 horus in DMS and 115+ hours in DKS1.

Combat feels slow, unresponsive, but enemies are faster and such.

Soul requirements for levels is high, and the benefits - very small. I don
t want to use the Wiki, but honestly, I am at the point where I'm not having fun just fighting these Giant guys, then healing at the bonfire, unable to advance.

As someone who really loves the challenge of DKS, I think they went to far here.

I can't find my way to the Forest of the Giants. I googled, I youTubed, and fucking annoyingly enough, NO ONE SHOWS HOW TO GET THERE. Just everyone SAYS howw to, and I tried, but it's not there.

Just being apart of this guy's struggles setting up the game, setting up the controller, and actually playing the game is amazing.

It's just one thing after another.

Green Man Gaming just now sent me the email telling me my key was there. I had the game pre-loaded days ago. Way to be on the ball with those notification emails, GMG.

bigol

This...

Is alot harder than Dark Souls / Demon's Souls.

Not sure I like it. So far I haven't been able to advance AT ALL.

3 hours of gameplay and I haven't barely left Mauljra or whatever. I spent 50 horus in DMS and 115+ hours in DKS1.

Combat feels slow, unresponsive, but enemies are faster and such.

Soul requirements for levels is high, and the benefits - very small. I don
t want to use the Wiki, but honestly, I am at the point where I'm not having fun just fighting these Giant guys, then healing at the bonfire, unable to advance.

As someone who really loves the challenge of DKS, I think they went to far here.

Just talk more and more times with NPCs, they will reveal you where you need to go

About the forest of the Fallen Giants
One of the NPCs, the knight near the monument in Majula tells you the Forest of the Fallen Giants is past the bonfire and
that knights build a fort there to defend against the Giants.

See that road near the torch altar? It's down there.

How can anyone say npc dialogues are vague in Dark Souls 2?

Hmm, I think I took a wrong turn at Majula

End up with a fucking massive knight right next to the bonfire, with another fairly close (Can't remember the name of the area). 5 attempts didn't go so well (2 of which were rolling off a cliff, stupid me). I however, did manage to get the first big guy who fall off, so I need to try that twice and see how it goes.

Zeliard

What's the best way to compare weapons then? Should you look at the grade and base damage?

Pretty much, though the most important thing to consider with weapons is the moveset.

It is however all kinds of dumb that merchants don't give you stat differences based on what you're currently wearing when you can get precisely that information from your own inventory screen.

Hmm, I think I took a wrong turn at Majula

End up with a fucking massive knight right next to the bonfire, with another fairly close (Can't remember the name of the area). 5 attempts didn't go so well (2 of which were rolling off a cliff, stupid me). I however, did manage to get the first big guy who fall off, so I need to try that twice and see how it goes.

That's not the "correct" way, but you CAN go there if you like. The second giant knight you encounter will drop something you might like.

cripterion

And... uninstalled.

I knew I was buying into the GAF hype and I can see how the game would be great if you're into that kind of thing but this really confirms these series is not for me. I find the gameplay way too archaic and tedious.

On the plus side this seems to be a good pc port, I didn't run into any issues at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
So how's the PC version guys? I plan on picking up this version soon. Any problems so far
so far looks and runs great

if i had to choose the biggest issue i'd say it's the mouse cursor showing on menus even if you're using the controller, so that gives you an idea how clean this release is

And... uninstalled.

I knew I was buying into the GAF hype and I can see how the game would be great if you're into that kind of thing but this really confirms these series is not for me. I find the gameplay way too archaic and tedious.

On the plus side this seems to be a good pc port, I didn't run into any issues at all.

Sad face, though to each their own. I'd suggest getting into a covenant, but my gut says that's likely not going to address your feelings on the game.

Jinaar

So far the first NPCs really talk alot, which I love. Lots of meaty information they have on their tongues. Will be heading to the Forest of Giants tonight. Wanting to kill the 2 pig men in the very beginning in the game for the challenge before leveling up once. I cannot believe how little I know of this game, I personally did a great job on a media blackout and most everything is surprising.

Thanks, Durante, for the great executable! The game looks beautiful.

Inskipp

And... uninstalled.

If you wanted your hopes crushed, you shoulda visited the critique- thread earlier :p

So far the first NPCs really talk alot, which I love. Lots of meaty information they have on their tongues. Will be heading to the Forest of Giants tonight. Wanting to kill the 2 pig men in the very beginning in the game for the challenge before leveling up once. I cannot believe how little I know of this game, I personally did a great job on a media blackout and most everything is surprising.

Thanks, Durante, for the great executable! The game looks beautiful.

You are in for a surprise.

That's not the "correct" way, but you CAN go there if you like. The second giant knight you encounter will drop something you might like.

Well, like I said, I did manage it, I just need to be cheesy. Went with the sorcerer, so having the range was beneficial. So yeah, I can give it another shot.

Only really got 4 hours of experience in the series, playing Dark Souls is a lot like being a Jedi, you need patience and concentration. Fear and aggression are a path to the dark side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom