• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got the ring to increase stamina regen (dont really see a difference but ok) using the pharos thingie, wasnt the more load ring somewhere in the forrest of giants too? I thought I heard Brad said he got it early on in the quicklook (and vinny had missed it)

got the ring to increase stamina regen (dont really see a difference but ok) using the pharos thingie, wasnt the more load ring somewhere in the forrest of giants too? I thought I heard Brad said he got it early on in the quicklook (and vinny had missed it)

I think the ring vinny was talking about missing was the binding ring, and that's located before the fog gate of a boss in the Heide Flame Tower area. Cloranthy ring doesn't seem that good, there's only a few rings I'm wearing right now that I think are good.

Vuze

I'm feeling dumb to ask this... but how to jump? I played DS1 for 1h and and they at least explained basic controls there but I've either missed this in DS2 or they didn't do this at all. I use my DS3 controller emulated as 360 controller.

Internet says L3 while running, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Apart from that (and the camera controls), I'm quite enjoying it, looks way better in motion than all the screenshots imo!

E: Ah, nevermind lol. Run and hit circle again.

In the Lost Bastille, how do i
unpetrify the woman blocking access to a bonfire? And also, there was another bonfire that I couldn't access because the door to it was locked, anyone know where you get the key for that
?

there is
an item called the fragrant branch of yore that you need will unpetrify that NPC

I'm feeling dumb to ask this... but how to jump? I played DS1 for 1h and and they at least explained basic controls there but I've either missed this in DS2 or they didn't do this at all. I use my DS3 controller emulated as 360 controller.

Apart from that (and the camera controls), I'm quite enjoying it, looks way better in motion than all the screenshots imo!

You can change the jump button to B on the 360 pad in options.

Arkanius

Just finally got stats to use the Drangleic Sword
HOLY SHIT

I think I found my daily driver. I'm going to strengthen this bad boy. I'm more of a Sword and Shield guy, but this is amazing (as 2h)

E: Ah, nevermind lol. Run and hit circle again.

For me it's L3-click while running.

Need to move it back to circle how it was in DS. Too many deaths rolling off a cliff instead of jumping.

Well, like I said, I did manage it, I just need to be cheesy. Went with the sorcerer, so having the range was beneficial. So yeah, I can give it another shot.

Only really got 4 hours of experience in the series, playing Dark Souls is a lot like being a Jedi, you need patience and concentration. Fear and aggression are a path to the dark side.

Protip: Always pay attention to the way that enemies attack, and their patterns. Most have three, MAYBE 4 ways of attacking, and if you can read them, you can typically dodge and be brutal on their back for a couple of hits.

Sorcery though...that's nice. Never gone the INT route. Strong, dumb and faithful...I love it.

Just finally got stats to use the Drangleic Sword
HOLY SHIT

I think I found my daily driver. I'm going to strengthen this bad boy. I'm more of a Sword and Shield guy, but this is amazing (as 2h)

Try one handed, and then no lock on.

Where should I be going to see video/images of the 360/PS3 versions compared to the PC versions?

I own the 360 version and have already put about 55 hours into it and am thinking about getting the PC version for NG+ and future playthroughs

However, I'm really not impressed in regards to the differences in the two version graphically from what I've seen

Whats with the weapon wear? Can't even remember it being an issue in Dark Souls.

Agreed it's annoying. They changed in to have weapons repair when you rest at a bonfire, but I find it runs down WAY too quick. You almost need 2 to 3 weapons instead of 1 really good one.

Krakn3Dfx

Do you have any tips to try and differentiate when you're being bad and when you have to level up/get better weapons? I bashed my head against
Forest of the Fallen Giants
all last night and today and decided to just try
Heide's
and it's going a bit better but not fantastic. I feel like I just have no health and die if I fuck up once.

Ideally,
Valley of Giants
is where you want to start.
Heides
is doable, but it's easier to whittle off guys in
VoG
, find the bonfires and level up enough to make yourself ready for
Heides

If you want a tip for a good starting weapon,

Once you reach the cathedral with the bonfire and the old lady selling, go back outside and drop down on the scaffolding directly in front. Be careful as there are some ambushes in this area to be cautious of. Climb down and there's a cave with a room to the left, time yourself properly and open the door, go in and open the chest, there's a fire longsword in the chest that is pretty amazing this early on and does some pretty great damage to the Last Giant.

d00d3n

Summoned two people to help fight
the pursuer
. He ended up dieing. Along with me....because the summoned person just kept spamming Baliste bolts and we got ke-bobbed together.

It sucked. Think I'll hold off on
the Pursuer
for now.

Summoning people to help on
the Pursuer
is not a good idea. His health is pushed beyond the "singe ballista shot and one additional hit" range. Play solo and use the window of opportunity when he charges you as you enter the arena to position him in the ballista trajectory. Shoot once and finish him off with an additional strike (ranged or melee).

Protip: Always pay attention to the way that enemies attack, and their patterns. Most have three, MAYBE 4 ways of attacking, and if you can read them, you can typically dodge and be brutal on their back for a couple of hits.

Sorcery though...that's nice. Never gone the INT route. Strong, dumb and faithful...I love it.

Try one handed, and then no lock on.

It didn't feel like to be that I could do crit attacks with the staff I had. The normal attack is the firing of the spell while the strong attack is just whacking the guy with it, so I think I need to switch to a dagger in order to properly crit when I'm doing it.

In my brief playing on DS1, the backstabbing was always something I couldn't quite do. Same with parry. I guess I just need more practise at it.

Agreed it's annoying. They changed in to have weapons repair when you rest at a bonfire, but I find it runs down WAY too quick. You almost need 2 to 3 weapons instead of 1 really good one.

I think it's a great change. Forces you to run with a couple of weapons rather than just a single uber-powered one. Keeps you on your toes which is kind of the entire point of this game. Very happy with the change, though I wish the punishment was a bit more strict if you end up actually breaking one of them. Too easy to just teleport back to town and get it fixed.

Spoo

If anyone can help with this boss, would appreciate it:

It's the 3 character boss -- super tall, with spears or something. Don't know what it's called. I can kill the first one on the platform you fall on, but the other two jump up (which forces me down) and they literally destroy me if I make a single mistake. SL 73 or something, playing a Knight, under the 70% weight penality so I have full dodge and a pretty decent weapon bastard sword + 4. Thanks :D

It's the 3 character boss -- super tall, with spears or something. Don't know what it's called. I can kill the first one on the platform you fall on, but the other two jump up (which forces me down) and they literally destroy me if I make a single mistake. SL 73 or something, playing a Knight, under the 70% weight penality so I have full dodge and a pretty decent weapon bastard sword + 4. Thanks :D

Kill the first one and stay on the ledge. Heal up, use your resins, etc and stay on the ledge. One will come up but it will take time for the third one to come up. In that time, kick it's ass. It probably won't die, but as soon as the third one shows up,you jump down. Heal up again, and head to town on those bastards.

The trick is to identify when the need is for a dodge and when for a block. Their spinning attack hurts bad but after each attack of theirs, they take a lot of time to recover. use that to your advantage, getting 2-3 heavy hits at a time.

En-ou

I kept a total blackout on this game. I only really played Demon Soul back when I imported it, and I never got really, really far into Dark Souls.

This game brings back the feeling of when I was a kid and would rent random nes games because the cover looked cool because it had a guy with a sword or something. The rentals never had manuals, and I didn't know a single line of English back then. Every game turned into a crazy mysterious adventure with surprises (and death) at every corner.

I have not feel this 'excited' about a video game since back in the days. It really brings back memories.

i literally said the same thing to my friend last night as we were playing.

Those are called the
Ruin Sentinels in the Lost Bastille

What I did was
focus on the first one on the first ledge, and then just methodically went after the other 2, as they have the same move set (outside of one of them has a shield which they lose after they throw it at you). If you want some more help you can become human before the fight and then there is a summon in one of the prison cells right before you enter (forgot the name of the NPC) that makes the fight easier). In general my guidance is normally to keep at least about 40% of my stamina left after I attack (so I'm only attacking 2-3 swings at a time --- depending on the weapon --- so that I can block and nearly guarantee that I won't be staggered by their attack.

Spoo

Kill the first one and stay on the ledge. Heal up, use your resins, etc and stay on the ledge. One will come up but it will take time for the third one to come up. In that time, kick it's ass. It probably won't die, but as soon as the third one shows up,you jump down. Heal up again, and head to town on those bastards.

The trick is to identify when the need is for a dodge and when for a block. Their spinning attack hurts bad but after each attack of theirs, they take a lot of time to recover. use that to your advantage, getting 2-3 heavy hits at a time.

Thanks for the tips!

I must have gotten super unlucky, because the other two jumped up at almost the same times. My first Souls game (never played Demon Souls / DS1) but I'm figuring things out!

I've rarely had a weapon go 'at risk' on me - the only place it's common is No Man's Wharf because there is only one bonfire so the time you get to the boss if you've explored the whole level in one go, you will most likely need a repair powder. Depends on your weapon obviously since they all have different durabilities so YMMV.

Overall I think it's a neat change they made, no more repairing for piddling amounts of souls, just sit at a bonfire, but it's something you have to be more aware of because the degrading is faster than DS1.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shitty steam compression aside, just wanted to say that nothing I've been finding even comes close to this sword im using, its a beast (also the lines on her face and body are from the life regen ring, not a graphic bug). Its pretty much the same one I used in DS1 on my black knight armor dude, at least the wide swing is the same

2624994-sword.png

I only clocked about 3 hours of gameplay last night as I have to get prepped for the 3 finals I'm taking today.

But at least I have the rest of the month to play.

Ruin Sentinels. I hated them too. Bring help, for starters. There's an NPC that you can bring, and you should be able to find help just outside the fog gate. For strategy:

Standard tank and nuke. They are VERY weak to lightning. If you have a greatshield then you can tank them while someone else drops magic...all you have to do is be good with your stamina.

rybrad

If you get the greatshield from the vendor in Majula it makes the fight really easy (assuming you have the stats to use it that is). You can block most of their attacks with no issue and just wait for the right opportunity to attack.

Well that was an amusing death on the
Iron King
. I rolled through his fire, my character teleported on top of his head and then I flew off into the ether. So much for my no death run.

The Majua music has me in total awe, it's beautiful :eek: And I really forgot how it feels to play Dark Souls without good equipment. At the end of DS 1 I was rocking Ornsteins Armor and a Lightning Uchigatana and here in DS 2 starting as a knight I feel so weak, fragile and lost...

It didn't feel like to be that I could do crit attacks with the staff I had. The normal attack is the firing of the spell while the strong attack is just whacking the guy with it, so I think I need to switch to a dagger in order to properly crit when I'm doing it.

In my brief playing on DS1, the backstabbing was always something I couldn't quite do. Same with parry. I guess I just need more practise at it.

Please. I'm the world's shittiest parry, and backstabs are a bit tougher to pull off in DS2 than 1. It happens, but not as much. And those big guys aren't back-stabbable. Just tick on them for one or two hits, pull back, wait for them to open up again, lather, rinse, repeat. You'll get there. Plus they're a great source of souls early in the game if you're looking to make some quick gains.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I admit I felt disoriented at first being new to Souls games.But I'm not complaning about not having hand holding or quest markers, or stuff like that.
Combat is kinda old school in the way you position yourself to not take the hits, etc.. Doesn't feel really dynamic and I got a couple cheap deaths due to me trying to position myself correctly to hit the mobs but fell to my death lol. I also found it tedious having to repair my broadsword who broke every 10 mobs or so, maybe I didn't get the mechanics, but it ended up with situations where I had to run from rats cause I was doing close to no dmg to them (they eventually followed me everywhere so I dispatched them with some patience).

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but falling isn't a cheap death and your broadsword definitely wasn't breaking every 10 mobs, unless you never rested at a bonfire somehow or maybe you hit a wall every single time you attacked an enemy.

If you're talking about those pigs in Majula village, they have high defense and should be ignored.

What type of weapon do you have? They are weak to
bash type weapons like clubs and maces.

Havel

shitty steam compression aside, just wanted to say that nothing I've been finding even comes close to this sword im using, its a beast (also the lines on her face and body are from the life regen ring, not a graphic bug). Its pretty much the same one I used in DS1 on my black knight armor dude, at least the wide swing is the same

2624994-sword.png

Looks like the
Bastard Sword
?

They have a significant cooldown period. The key to the fight is to play it slow and wittle one down. They become easier to identify once one throws it shield. Keep medium ish distance. After fighting them enough times you'll recognize their attack patterns. If one starts doing a whirling cyclone just disengage your lock on and run as far away as you can. There's a small trick, if one does a super leap, try to run underneath a roof and they'll land ontop of it and take a while to get back. You might have to go with a shield, I powerstanced it and it was hard as hell. It would have been easier with a tower shield or something. They're also weak to lighting if you want to use some resin. Definitely the hardest fight so far in my run. Oh yeah, as other's have said, blunt type weapons are superior for most of the beginning of the game apparently. My alt cleric has been cleaning up shit no problem compared to my battle axe guy. I'm just being a stubborn ass and playing the game on my own terms rather than adapting, which is what Dark Souls is really about.

Dammit, played around two hours and I think I died 10 times already. Getting my rear handed.

I picked the explorer because a freaking monocle and hat looked fine when combined with the Welcome gesture to do the "ThisIsNeoGAF" move but still...

I totally missed the Emerald Herald even though I thought I explored Majula in full. Foolish me, lol.

I just jumped blind into the game with my pathetic little dagger... When I'll be able to get a decent sword and start moving my stats towards something packing a bigger punch?

Also, durability is terrible, I broke my two daggers in those 120 minutes of play =/

I'm extremely happy with the performance though, it runs so damn well... It's a shame about the lighting though, a real shame, you can absolutely tell some parts were meant to be either pitch black or really dark.

Yet I couldn't find another torch after burning the first in 5 mins... Where can I get moar torches?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has anyone surmised/guessed/wondered if those little things that attack you in Majula are a quirky reference to
the Three Little Pigs
?

Is it worth to update the Drangleic Sword with Twinkling Titanites?

If that's your style of weapon, I don't see why not. Bear in mind that it only goes to +5, though. Some weapons WILL scale higher, but if it matches your playstyle then by all means go for it.

You can always just farm twinkles later in the game, but it's farther along than you might think. Well, sort of.

Rhaknar

Looks like the
Bastard Sword
?

yup thats it. So im at a fog that is full of summon signs, can I assume this is some hard boss? its shortly after
the giant dude with the trunk in his belly, I opened the door in the area with the giant sword you can walk on to get a item, and after some more skellys theres this fog... am I fucked?

also I cant summon anyone, im always late :(

I've rarely had a weapon go 'at risk' on me - the only place it's common is No Man's Wharf because there is only one bonfire so the time you get to the boss if you've explored the whole level in one go, you will most likely need a repair powder. Depends on your weapon obviously since they all have different durabilities so YMMV.

Overall I think it's a neat change they made, no more repairing for piddling amounts of souls, just sit at a bonfire, but it's something you have to be more aware of because the degrading is faster than DS1.

I am not a fan of it at all because the better I get, the more I'll have to be conscious of not completely breaking my weapons. Especially good ones. I hope durability increases as you improve them? It feels like a punishment because when I'm out on the field I have to rest at bonfires to repair, for the most part; resting respawns enemies (which is fine until it starts hindering progress). If I constantly have to do this to make sure I have weapons to progress it will be very infuriating. It feels like a complete regression compared to both games. They had a perfect system.

Grief.exe

Hmm. Debating whether to buy this since I never finished Dark Souls

Did you not finish it because you didn't like the game? Or due to some of the bad areas near the end?

If you didn't like the game, the sequel is really just more of the same.

If it is for other reasons, I wouldn't worry about the plot too much. You get as much as you put in in terms of Dark Souls plot, you really have to dig to get details and form the entire picture.

Spoo

If you get the greatshield from the vendor in Majula it makes the fight really easy (assuming you have the stats to use it that is). You can block most of their attacks with no issue and just wait for the right opportunity to attack.

I ran the fight again and *almost* got them. I'll try using my tower shield next time; I'm really close though. Just one or two more tries and I'll have it. Thanks for all the advice fellas.

cripterion

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but falling isn't a cheap death and your broadsword definitely wasn't breaking every 10 mobs, unless you never rested at a bonfire somehow or maybe you hit a wall every single time you attacked an enemy.

If you're talking about those pigs in Majula village, they have high defense and should be ignored.

Well depends, I guess I felt it was cheap since I died twice cause I couldn't control my character the way I wanted, the mobs didn't push me to my death, I did. Other deaths were cause I got my ass jumped when I didn't expect it but guess I should have read each message on the floor :p

I realized you could auto repair when resting at a bonfire yes, but it also respawned the mobs so basically it ended up the same for me (
My bonfire was in that tower, then you take a ladder down and you have to go through some skeletons that eventually lead to a roof area with a boss fight, and downstairs an area with a turtle like mob, to get me through all that my sword constantly broke, i'm not joking)
I had other weapons in my inventory but I didn't meet the requirements to use them properly.

Oh I guess they were pigs? Looked like rats to me haha. They came in a trio and they took a while to kill yep.

Shakala

Did you not finish it because you didn't like the game? Or due to some of the bad areas near the end?

If you didn't like the game, the sequel is really just more of the same.

If it is for other reasons, I wouldn't worry about the plot too much. You get as much as you put in in terms of Dark Souls plot, you really have to dig to get details and form the entire picture.

I didn't finish because I'm terrible. I stopped at the Anor Londo boss(es)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom