• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

And... uninstalled.

I knew I was buying into the GAF hype and I can see how the game would be great if you're into that kind of thing but this really confirms these series is not for me. I find the gameplay way too archaic and tedious.

On the plus side this seems to be a good pc port, I didn't run into any issues at all.

If you are used to modern games doing it for you then I can see how Dark Souls can be seen as 'archiac' in a way.

You hear the same thing when people go back and play System Shock 2 and other similar games. The NPCs tell you where you need to go, but not how to get there. It's up to the player to devise a plan, and without an arrow over your head and linear hallways to push the player in the right direction, it can get overwhelming.

Modern games are designed in such a way that anyone can beat it. Dark Souls isn't.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just died like 6 times in a row trying to go back to a room in forrest of giants...AFTER clearing it. just playing completely recklessly because I just want to go to that room, and the more I die, the worse I play lol.

I hate when you get stuck in that cycle

I chose to use swordsman. So far I am getting absolutely destroyed by everything not one of those simple zombie guys. Should I restart while I am so early in the game? If so, what class?

cripterion

Sad face, though to each their own. I'd suggest getting into a covenant, but my gut says that's likely not going to address your feelings on the game.

If you wanted your hopes crushed, you shoulda visited the critique- thread earlier :p

The one with Youtube links? I didn't see the vids, probably will check it out but yeah I really tried to like the game, it's just not for me.

If you are used to modern games doing it for you then I can see how Dark Souls can be seen as 'archiac' in a way.

You hear the same thing when people go back and play System Shock 2 and other similar games. The NPCs tell you where you need to go, but not how to get there. It's up to the player to devise a plan, and without an arrow over your head and linear hallways to push the player in the right direction, it can get overwhelming.

Modern games are designed in such a way that anyone can beat it. Dark Souls isn't.

I admit I felt disoriented at first being new to Souls games.But I'm not complaning about not having hand holding or quest markers, or stuff like that.
Combat is kinda old school in the way you position yourself to not take the hits, etc.. Doesn't feel really dynamic and I got a couple cheap deaths due to me trying to position myself correctly to hit the mobs but fell to my death lol. I also found it tedious having to repair my broadsword who broke every 10 mobs or so, maybe I didn't get the mechanics, but it ended up with situations where I had to run from rats cause I was doing close to no dmg to them (they eventually followed me everywhere so I dispatched them with some patience).

Shahadan

I know nothing and have nowhere else to ask, so forgive me, but is Sorcerer a viable choice? I always try casters or ranged first in Rpgs and often it's just weak and not balanced the right way.

zma1013

If someone doesn't mind answering this in a spoiler tag, but how do you regain health you've lost when you die?

Use
human effigy or put down a white soapstone sign to be summoned into someone's world and help them. Use the small with soapstone and all you have to do is kill a few enemies and you should get your human form back. Basically, you need to be in human form for full health.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If someone doesn't mind answering this in a spoiler tag, but how do you regain health you've lost when you die?

In addition to the already mentioned effigies you can also do coop, if successful you get your humanity restored.

I know nothing and have nowhere else to ask, so forgive me, but is Sorcerer a viable choice? I always try casters or ranged first in Rpgs and often it's just weak and not balanced the right way.

I'm playing a Sorcerer and so far so good.

Pretty much, though the most important thing to consider with weapons is the moveset.

It is however all kinds of dumb that merchants don't give you stat differences based on what you're currently wearing when you can get precisely that information from your own inventory screen.

Agree, so damn annoying

Trickster

In the Lost Bastille, how do i
unpetrify the woman blocking access to a bonfire? And also, there was another bonfire that I couldn't access because the door to it was locked, anyone know where you get the key for that
?

Shinjica

PVE is quite week early/mid game, then sorcerer become the hearld of doom.

having owned dark souls one (and even demon souls) and not REALLY playing them, should I just play Dark Souls 1 and go to 2 at a later date? or forgo playing 1 and just get 2?

xBladeM6x

Could someone explain to me why I'm fat rolling, but still running like a champ? What stat contributes to rolling speed, and also running speed?

AkuMifune

Banned
Having already finished the PS3 version of DS2 once and then going through DS1's final four bosses without dying, I was very confident heading into the PC version of DS2.

Nope.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do you get the DLC equipment on every new character you start? Or just the first one?

If I store things at the bonfire, can all my character access the stuff?

Shinjica

In the Lost Bastille, how do i
unpetrify the woman blocking access to a bonfire? And also, there was another bonfire that I couldn't access because the door to it was locked, anyone know where you get the key for that
?

An item unpetrify NPC in this game, you have to find it

zkylon

zkylewd
i find that having to go human to get your lifebar back is a fun way to motivate people into white soapstoning

at least i had good times
getting ballista'd when fighting flying shiny knight man

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So how's the PC version guys? I plan on picking up this version soon. Any problems so far
Plenty in here seem to be having "showstopper" bugs and can't play. But if you can, and you've got a 360 pad, you'll have no issues and it's honestly one of the best-optimized clients I've seen. No joke.

RK9039

Could someone explain to me why I'm fat rolling, but still running like a champ? What stat contributes to rolling speed, and also running speed?

I think it's based on Agility combined with equipment load. 71%+ will make you fat roll, but running speed is still fairly quick.

shuri

Banned
I kept a total blackout on this game. I only really played Demon Soul back when I imported it, and I never got really, really far into Dark Souls.

This game brings back the feeling of when I was a kid and would rent random nes games because the cover looked cool because it had a guy with a sword or something. The rentals never had manuals, and I didn't know a single line of English back then. Every game turned into a crazy mysterious adventure with surprises (and death) at every corner.

I have not feel this 'excited' about a video game since back in the days. It really brings back memories.

It most definitely is. I would however highly recommend leveling your strength up to around 9 as fast as you can just so you can have.a decent backup weapon in close quarters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
having owned dark souls one (and even demon souls) and not REALLY playing them, should I just play Dark Souls 1 and go to 2 at a later date? or forgo playing 1 and just get 2?

Play the first one and do this one later.

DS2 is great, but it's generally just more of the same and doesn't do anything to invalidate DS1.

It most definitely is. I would however highly recommend leveling your strength up to around 9 as fast as you can just so you can have.a decent backup weapon in close quarters.

I'd recommend 12 str so that you can use a 100% physical defense shield.

Cheddahz

Banned
Use
human effigy or put down a white soapstone sign to be summoned into someone's world and help them. Use the small with soapstone and all you have to do is kill a few enemies and you should get your human form back. Basically, you need to be in human form for full health.

In addition to the already mentioned effigies you can also do coop, if successful you get your humanity restored.

Thank you so much, I'll do that whenever I get home tonight (I've died quite a few times from missing jumps by accident)

early in the game and haven't gotten to first boss yet. What weapon should I upgrade. Just got a titanite shard...

Yellow quartz longsword
broadsword
heide knight sword (the one with lightning dmg)

Lied, played a little more last night.

Beat the sinner, was a fun fight. Reminded me of Artorias a little bit, she was even more aggressive. I like my power stance build but I'm slacking on upgrades. Found McDuff by accident, unsure how to get him to talk to me. Didn't know how to proceed after lost sinner, felt a little lost, so I went back to the tower and unpetrified the pyromancer lady, didn't even know I had the means to until I examined her. The shaded woods didn't seem that tough but had no idea what the king symbol is, and also was unsure if I should have kept going through the fog forest so I went back. Found the cleric lady that could change paths for me, didn't even know she could do that. Went into huntsman copse, felt like I should have went there before I went to lost Bastille. Unlocked the bonfire and called it a night. The game seems setup similar to demon's souls where there are "wings" and the easiest way to complete it is to alternate between wings killing the bosses and gathering loot then progressing further into the wins. I just straight up trucked through lost bastille and I could tell I was under soul leveled for some of it. The sea giants straight up murdered me unless I tricked them into falling into the elevator hole, but I could still kill the sinner.

McHuj

Sorry, for this maybe redundant post, but I'm trying to avoid all talk until I play this myself.

But, any benchmarking charts for resolutions and GPU's?

elseanio

Oops, didnt mean to squash the 2 together.

The aspect ratio fix is coming from FlawlessWidescreen fixer, he posted the picture

to say that he is done with the fix and its currently putting it in the last version of Flawless Widescreen.

This has nothing to do with GeDoSaTo.

Plugin is now available, Praise the Sun!!

HgRpTvu.jpg

Summoned two people to help fight the pursuer. He ended up dieing. Along with me....because the summoned person just kept spamming Baliste bolts and we got ke-bobbed together.

It sucked. Think I'll hold off on the Pursuer for now.

early in the game and haven't gotten to first boss yet. What weapon should I upgrade. Just got a titanite shard...

Yellow quartz longsword
broadsword
heide knight sword (the one with lightning dmg)

With the titanite shards it really doesn't matter. The first blacksmith sells them, so just upgrade what you are using more.

I'd say Heide

Wife is going to Chicago this weekend. Going to take a shower, then sit in front of Dark Souls until 15 minutes before she gets home Sunday night (at which point I'll take another shower). Going to be a good weekend.

The one with Youtube links? I didn't see the vids, probably will check it out but yeah I really tried to like the game, it's just not for me.

I admit I felt disoriented at first being new to Souls games.But I'm not complaning about not having hand holding or quest markers, or stuff like that.
Combat is kinda old school in the way you position yourself to not take the hits, etc.. Doesn't feel really dynamic and I got a couple cheap deaths due to me trying to position myself correctly to hit the mobs but fell to my death lol. I also found it tedious having to repair my broadsword who broke every 10 mobs or so, maybe I didn't get the mechanics, but it ended up with situations where I had to run from rats cause I was doing close to no dmg to them (they eventually followed me everywhere so I dispatched them with some patience).

I think taking a break is fine but don't give up completely. The game has a steep learning curve but the combat and systems get much more fluid and dynamic as you master them. It's a factor of inexperience with the combat mechanics, move sets and enemy moves that will slowly be overcome if you persevere.

Gbraga

Oh right, another minor issue is that the black bars during cutscenes are a little fucked on the right, they end before the edge of the screen, so I still see the game behind them on the far right.

You can be summoned by anyone despite your soul level? Or no? I know how to get summoned but not the finer mechanics.

Last night I was helping people fight
Old Dragonslayer
and I'm at SL33 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom