• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well depends, I guess I felt it was cheap since I died twice cause I couldn't control my character the way I wanted, the mobs didn't push me to my death, I did. Other deaths were cause I got my ass jumped when I didn't expect it but guess I should have read each message on the floor :p

I realized you could auto repair when I resting at a bonfire yes, but it also respawned the mobs so basically it ended up the same for me (
My bonfire was in that tower, then you take a ladder down and you have to go through some skeletons that eventually lead to a roof area with a boss fight, and downstairs an area with a turtle like mob, to get me through all that my sword constantly broke, i'm not joking)
I had other weapons in my inventory but I didn't meet the requirements to use them properly.

There's a shortcut that leads back to that bonfire so you don't constantly have to go down that ladder.

To open it:
From the bonfire, go down the ladder, kill the two dudes, take the door on the left, kill the guy sleeping on the right, walk outside and up the giant tree branch, and get yourself onto the top of the wall. Kill the two soldiers here, and I recommend killing the soldier throwing bombs from the top of the roof. You will see barrels lined up against a wall. These are explosive barrels. Blow them up to reveal the shortcut back into the bonfire room.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well I managed to summon someone finally to try it out, turns out the boss was
the famous Pursuer
, and we easily killed him... kinda anti climatic after all the hype. Guess I shouldnt have summoned a dude, oh well, carrying on :)

edit: son of a WHORE, I clicked the
birds nest because I thought it was more of those silky guys, and a giant bird took me to the lost bastille, before I could investigate the area after Pursuer... goddamn it >_<

Listonosh

I am not a fan of it at all because the better I get, the more I'll have to be conscious of not completely breaking my weapons. Especially good ones. I hope durability increases as you improve them? It feels like a punishment because when I'm out on the field I have to rest at bonfires to repair, for the most part; resting respawns enemies (which is fine until it starts hindering progress). If I constantly have to do this to make sure I have weapons to progress it will be very infuriating. It feels like a complete regression compared to both games. They had a perfect system.

Durability stays same regardless of upgrade. Enemies eventually stop respawning after 12 cycles, so essentially you can farm until they stop appearing and then just make a run to the boss.

Listonosh

well I managed to summon someone finally to try it out, turns out the boss was
the famous Pursuer
, and we easily killed him... kinda anti climatic after all the hype. Guess I shouldnt have summoned a dude, oh well, carrying on :)

Yeah, that happened to me a few times too. My suggestion is always try the boss on your own first, and then gauge on whether you need help through summons.

nbthedude

Did you not finish it because you didn't like the game? Or due to some of the bad areas near the end?

If you didn't like the game, the sequel is really just more of the same.

If it is for other reasons, I wouldn't worry about the plot too much. You get as much as you put in in terms of Dark Souls plot, you really have to dig to get details and form the entire picture.

I played a ton of Dark Souls, and while I'm only about 6 hours into the sequel, from what I've played, I would guess that DS2 has a few thing sto make it more amenable to new players:

-much wider color pallete with better eye candy (on PC, it's stunning)

-the smoothness of 60 fps really makes it feel different

-way more "help" in terms of messages, blood stains, and summons thanks to Steamworks being way livelier than GFWL

-warp from any bondfire from the start makes exploring easier

-inventory system and "help" explanations for stats is way better explained for those that make use of them

-hype of playing a new game with a large community is always a good incentive to keep going

LegatoB

If anyone can help with this boss, would appreciate it:

It's the 3 character boss -- super tall, with spears or something. Don't know what it's called. I can kill the first one on the platform you fall on, but the other two jump up (which forces me down) and they literally destroy me if I make a single mistake. SL 73 or something, playing a Knight, under the 70% weight penality so I have full dodge and a pretty decent weapon bastard sword + 4. Thanks :D

These guys aren't too bad once you've fought them enough to learn their tells. (I like to put my summon sign outside a boss room to help others and practice a few times before I take on each boss for real.) You've probably picked up on this, but they'll almost always do the huge sweeping swing after a stab, and this is really easy to punish. Just don't lock on, and use times when you're safely dodging an attack to make sure the other Sentinel isn't creeping up on you.

I never fight more than the first Sentinel up on the ledge, there's too little room to move. Take the health hit and jump down right after the second one leaps up to buy yourself some prep-time.

nbthedude

I didn't finish because I'm terrible. I stopped at the Anor Londo boss(es)

Then my advice would be that if you don't think you have it in you to go alone, play DS 2 but don't be afraid to summon often for jolly cooperation. The summoning is WAY WAY better. Really instantaneous, no more constant summon failed bullshit and literally tens of thousands of players.

Garcia

Looks like the
Bastard Sword
?

Yep. She's my secondary weapon of choice. Performs wonderfully every single time. I just helped 6 people clear
No Man's Wharf
by dual handing one BS+4. 1 hit kills with that baby (except for the
monkey-spiders
).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well depends, I guess I felt it was cheap since I died twice cause I couldn't control my character the way I wanted, the mobs didn't push me to my death, I did. Other deaths were cause I got my ass jumped when I didn't expect it but guess I should have read each message on the floor :p

I realized you could auto repair when resting at a bonfire yes, but it also respawned the mobs so basically it ended up the same for me (
My bonfire was in that tower, then you take a ladder down and you have to go through some skeletons that eventually lead to a roof area with a boss fight, and downstairs an area with a turtle like mob, to get me through all that my sword constantly broke, i'm not joking)
I had other weapons in my inventory but I didn't meet the requirements to use them properly.

Oh I guess they were pigs? Looked like rats to me haha. They came in a trio and they took a while to kill yep.

I don't understand how it's possible that you were using up your sword's durability that quickly. In my 25 hours of playtime on the PS3, the only place where my weapon was ever at risk was in a particular area a little bit later in the game, which people generally agree is a common place to run out of durability.

edit: just saw a response above, maybe it is an issue of not having found a shortcut

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Well that was an amusing death on the
Iron King
. I rolled through his fire, my character teleported on top of his head and then I flew off into the ether. So much for my no death run.

I completely avoided him on my no-death run. That little platform is almost guaranteed death.

Forkball

So I'm in the first area and summon this really helpful guy. He shows me hidden items while helping me take down some hollows. Then he
takes me into some ballista area. A lot of hollows, but we easily take them out. We descend a ladder and he hits a treasure chest. Ok I wonder what's ins-WHY GOD WHY

Durability stays same regardless of upgrade. Enemies eventually stop respawning after 12 cycles, so essentially you can farm until they stop appearing and then just make a run to the boss.

Ahh well that's good to know, Damn good. That's what I'm doing later then. Shiiieet.

Yep. She's my secondary weapon of choice. Performs wonderfully every single time. I just helped 6 people clear
No Man's Wharf
by dual handing one BS+4. 1 hit kills with that baby (except for the
monkey-spiders
).

It's definitely the best Greatsword.
- can get it very early
- scales well
- only two other Greatswords do more dmg than it, but they are heavier and the difference is very small.
- best moveset I've found of the popular Greatswords. Claymore doesn't have any overhead arc move which sucks because it has slightly better range.

This + put some resin or Aromatic ooze on it for boss fights and it's an undead's best friend.

Grief.exe

It's definitely the best Greatsword.
- can get it very early
- scales well
- only two other Greatswords do more dmg than it, but they are heavier and the difference is very small.

This + put some resin or Aromatic ooze on it for boss fights and it's an undead's best friend.

I just picked that one up, well I know what my next goal will be!

So I'm in the first area and summon this really helpful guy. He shows me hidden items while helping me take down some hollows. Then he
takes me into some ballista area. A lot of hollows, but we easily take them out. We descend a ladder and he hits a treasure chest. Ok I wonder what's ins-WHY GOD WHY

Poisoned?

I'm using Nvidia (780) and I'm outputting over HDMI to a 50" plasma with a DVI hooked up to my PC.

I just set my TV as my main monitor and sound (when you unplug the HDMI from teh back of your TV it will revert to your monitor every time so it's really easy). Then I used Durante's new upscaling program Gedosoto.

Booted Steam into big picture mode, turned off Steam overlay, and have been playing all night on my plasma w/o a single problem.
Thing is: I don't have enough space to place both my TV and my monitor on my desk. So, if I have to use both only to play Dark Souls 2, I'll have to wait for a patch (if any). I could, however, use only my monitor, but would have to move my PC to another desk without my TV and hook some speakers up to it (since I use my TV to play, I don't have any speakers). Too much of a hassle just to play one game, as much as I want to play this particular one.

I hope someone find a better solution before an official patch is released. Shame.

Anteater

I have these lines as well. Do you use inspector for SGSAA? I suspect that.

Oops my previous post was wrong, I just turned ambient occlusion off and disabled in inspector and the artifact was gone, so I guess the culprit was the hbao+ flag.

darksoulsii_2014_04_2jxc37.jpg
darksoulsii_2014_04_23zit9.jpg

Not sure if this is the place to ask, so feel free to ignore this.

Anyway, I tried out Dark Souls II last night and after about 30 minutes of play or so, my whole system would crash. My computer is somewhat old, but I don't think I'm under the specs too badly.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz
Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

Everything else should be in recommended specs, I just don't know how cards / processors work in terms of power or compatibility.

Had no issues running Dark Souls, but of course that was a while ago. Going to go through the ropes and flip some graphics settings, but I just wanted to ask to see if anyone knows what could be an issue. Any help is very appreciated.

JimPanzer

wow, the difficulty is just cheap. all it does is throwing too many of the same enemy at you :/
it feels more like a fight with the camera.

Grief.exe

Then I used Durante's new upscaling program Gedosoto.

*Downsampling tool

Upscaling is what consoles do to get a 1080p image from a 720p rendering resolution.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, so feel free to ignore this.

Anyway, I tried out Dark Souls II last night and after about 30 minutes of play or so, my whole system would crash. My computer is somewhat old, but I don't think I'm under the specs too badly.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz
Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

Everything else should be in recommended specs, I just don't know how cards / processors work in terms of power or compatibility.

Had no issues running Dark Souls, but of course that was a while ago. Going to go through the ropes and flip some graphics settings, but I just wanted to ask to see if anyone knows what could be an issue. Any help is very appreciated.

Use MSI Afterburner to monitor your temps, sounds like you are overheating.

Your specs are pretty solid.

z1ggy

Played for about 2 hours last night. This port is so good. Game looks way better than Dark Souls, even tho i don´t like the art style too much (too much colors).

DeaviL

Banned
I've just hauled my CE home and have noticed that i am a terrible judge of size.
I knew the statue was going to be big but...

it's huge

As a side note, all the people having trouble with the pc version are frightening me.
Please tell me this isn't a problem for everyone...

rybrad

I've just hauled my CE home and have noticed that i am a terrible judge of size.
I knew the statue was going to be big but...

it's huge

As a side note, all the people having trouble with the pc version are frightening me.
Please tell me this isn't a problem for everyone...
If it was a problem for everyone then this thread would be nothing but posts about that. It really sucks for the people having issues after patiently waiting for the game but it certainly doesn't affect everyone and "fixes" are out there for several of the issues.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yay, it was easy to go back to the
Pursuer
area to see what I had missed, and DAMN!

Drangleic armor AND greatsword? o_O I NEED to use this sword, time to dump into more STR and DEX I guess. Also im using that armor, im a fat rolling bastard now, I dont even care!

I love this game

wow, the difficulty is just cheap. all it does is throwing too many of the same enemy at you :/
it feels more like a fight with the camera.

This isn't DMC. You can't rush a crowd and start swinging. Attack them as if you really had to take on a group in real life and were at a disadvantage. Divide and conquer.

Trickster

Uuuh, I just got invaded by 2 grey spirits that killed me very easily. I thought players were red when they invaded other players?

yay, it was easy to go back to the
Pursuer
area to see what I had missed, and DAMN!

Drangleic armor AND greatsword? o_O I NEED to use this sword, time to dump into more STR and DEX I guess. Also im using that armor, im a fat rolling bastard now, I dont even care!

I love this game

The armor is good, but experiment. I dig the Faraam and Elite Knight sets.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After the first boss I got a huge dump of souls. I'm playing a cleric, and I really don't know what I want to bank on. Seeing how it takes forever to get any magic other than Heal, I'm thinking of dumping it all into STR, VIT for now. Is this a bad idea? Should I be investing in the magic stats early? (forget their names... the priest specific one and the one that lets you memorize more spells).

JimPanzer

This isn't DMC. You can't rush a crowd and start swinging. Attack them as if you really had to take on a group in real life and were at a disadvantage. Divide and conquer.

i know what I'm doing, spent 300 hours in dark souls. there are more than enough fights where you can't avoid fighting 3 enemies at once in the forest of fallen giants.

After the first boss I got a huge dump of souls. I'm playing a cleric, and I really don't know what I want to bank on. Seeing how it takes forever to get any magic other than Heal, I'm thinking of dumping it all into STR, VIT for now. Is this a bad idea? Should I be investing in the magic stats early? (forget their names... the priest specific one and the one that lets you memorize more spells).

Can't go wrong w/ decent STR, and VIT is damn handy, but don't forget VGR. Later in the game the damage output on some enemies is ridiculous.

I'm having a real bad time in
Heide's Tower of Flame
. I made it to the mid-boss once, but these knights are just punishing me. Moreso the bigass sword ones.

Jintor

i know what I'm doing, spent 300 hours in dark souls. there are more than enough fights where you can't avoid fighting 3 enemies at once in the forest of fallen giants.

if you're talking about the tree where the white knight is, futz them with the ladder. Take care of the two up top and then kick the followers back down to size.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can't go wrong w/ decent STR, and VIT is damn handy, but don't forget VGR. Later in the game the damage output on some enemies is ridiculous.

Is it worth investing anything in DEX for a cleric? It starts me with 5, and the weapons I have that require it pretty much start at 10. It seems like all those weapons are slicing/stabbing weapons, whereas the STR ones are just blunt. It's going to cost me a lot of souls to get DEX up to 10, but then I'm scared I'll just be stuck again when the next better weapon needs DEX at 15...

Also my Stamina is really crap... it starts at 3-4. As a cleric I need to be rolling around a lot, don't I? Should I be dumping into Stamina as well? Is that what VGR controls?

I'm having a real bad time in
Heide's Tower of Flame
. I made it to the mid-boss once, but these knights are just punishing me. Moreso the bigass sword ones.
You probably need a better weapon. Try upgrading the ones you have.

Oh and you can mostly fight them one at a time sans a couple of them. If you want you can just run past them to one of the bosses lol

I don't even have a covenant afaik. Why would they be grey just because of that though? Aren't players just red when they invade another player as a hostile enemy?

Not in Dark Souls 2. There are black phantoms, red phantoms, grey phantoms, all sorts. Different colors for different covenants.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Heide Knight Sword +5 is like fucking easy mode for early game everything.

Cuts through enemies and bosses like butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom