• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth investing anything in DEX for a cleric? It starts me with 5, and the weapons I have that require it pretty much start at 10. It seems like all those weapons are slicing/stabbing weapons, whereas the STR ones are just blunt. It's going to cost me a lot of souls to get DEX up to 10, but then I'm scared I'll just be stuck again when the next better weapon needs DEX at 15...

Also my Stamina is really crap... it starts at 3-4. As a cleric I need to be rolling around a lot, don't I? Should I be dumping into Stamina as well? Is that what VGR controls?

I brought my DEX on my previous build to 22 just to fuck around with a particular Twinblade. It definitely doesn't hurt, but I'd say at the very least bump it to 12 to use the Short Bow. That bad boy will come in handy at times...two later spoiled boss battles in particular.

I basically tanked Freja with a bow at a distance, and did the same with the Rotten just rolling back, shooting it to keep attention and letting two magic users get down...it was a short fight

Stamina is good for swings and rolls. I figure as long as you can get like two or three swings and a roll or two immediately thereafter, you're good. VGR is HP. It's your friend, but it caps value at a certain point (30, I think).

You probably need a better weapon. Try upgrading the ones you have.

Oh and you can mostly fight them one at a time sans a couple of them. If you want you can just run past them to one of the bosses lol

I'm rocking the
fire longsword
+3 right now. That seems better than the Heide's sword. Any good spots to grind early?

Okay. I went out and bought a gamepad because I just didnt dig the PC controls after playing Demon and DS1 on PS3.

How the F do I swap the Left Analog and DPad functions? Left analog is set to swap inv items, and dpad is to move. That is annoying.

Logitech F310 btw.

RK9039

iN8o4MLrLEtBJ.jpg

lol.

I'm rocking the
fire longsword
+3 right now. That seems better than the Heide's sword. Any good spots to grind early?
Try the
bastard sword you can get in the Forest of the Fallen giants
. It's a bit heavy on stat requirements but it does one hell of a job even without any upgrades. At base stats you'll cut those guys in 3~4 hits.

Trickster

Not in Dark Souls 2. There are black phantoms, red phantoms, grey phantoms, all sorts. Different colors for different covenants.

Aha, thx for that clarification.

More questions though. Just got invaded by another grey person. And he was able to run straight to me, even though I decided to stand behind a wall that allowed me to be hidden from sight until another player would practially be in melee range of me. However the person that invaded seemed to know exactly where I was despite of this, he just ran straight to me, even though there was no way he could have actually seen me with the line of sight he had, wtf is up with that? Sheer luck or are the ones invading given some kind of indicator of where the people they want to kill are? Seems unfair if that's the case.

Also. These 2 encounters are the first ones I've had since I started playing some 12 hours ago. And they started happening the moment I entered the belfry luna area. Is this some kind of special pvp area? Seems really odd that I get 2 pvp encounter within 3 minutes of each other in a new area, after not getting a single one in the previous 12 hours of play.

Where you were invaded?

belfry luna or whatever it's called

Facism

i should feel bad for summoning people who put there signs down in obscure places so they can coop with their buddies, but i don't. That 10 seconds of wondering wtf is going before they use the black separation crystal lol.

i should feel bad for summoning people who put there signs down in obscure places so they can coop with their buddies, but i don't. That 10 seconds of wondering wtf is going before they use the black separation crystal lol.

People were doing that last night at the Cardinal Tower bonfire, too. I didn't feel bad about summoning them at all, just because they put their stuff down in a common area.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
i know what I'm doing, spent 300 hours in dark souls. there are more than enough fights where you can't avoid fighting 3 enemies at once in the forest of fallen giants.

Apologies. It sounded like a new-to-souls gripe. I know what you mean but didn't think it was too bad in that area...

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The blood stains are hilarious so far. Why do peoples keep rolling and jumping everywhere near cliffs or deep holes ? Sometimes it seems like they're smashing buttons and falling down by mistake lol.

Man, this version runs SO MUCH smoother than the console one.

I know I'll never touch the PS3 version again. I'd sell it if I hadn't bought it digitally.

Oh well.

Tiops

In Belfry Luna you can get invaded by the members of the Bell Covenant. They're grey. If you are in that covenant and you wear the Bell Ring, you automatically get summoned as a grey spirit to fight other players that enter the area.

More questions though. Just got invaded by another grey person. And he was able to run straight to me, even though I decided to stand behind a wall that allowed me to be hidden from sight until another player would practially be in melee range of me. However the person that invaded seemed to know exactly where I was despite of this, he just ran straight to me, even though there was no way he could have actually seen me with the line of sight he had, wtf is up with that? Sheer luck or are the ones invading given some kind of indicator of where the people they want to kill are? Seems unfair if that's the case.

Also. These 2 encounters are the first ones I've had since I started playing some 12 hours ago. And they started happening the moment I entered the belfry luna area. Is this some kind of special pvp area? Seems really odd that I get 2 pvp encounter within 3 minutes of each other in a new area, after not getting a single one in the previous 12 hours of play.

Okay so Belfry Luna and another place are PvP zones. They are there to protect the bell of that zone. Even if you're part of the covenant, you can be invaded by them. You either have to deal with it, get lucky and not get invaded, or disconnect from the internet until you're done with the area.

More info about the covenant:
If you talk to the NPC in entrance of the zone (small little gnome dude), he will let you join the covenant. Doing so will give you a ring. Wear the ring, and you'll automatically invade other people who are in the tower. Killing that person rewards you with a Titanite Chunk. This is easily the best place in the game to farm chunks, so that's why it's incredibly active. There is another spot in the game for the Bellbro covenant, and you'll know where it is when you get there.

Okay. I went out and bought a gamepad because I just didnt dig the PC controls after playing Demon and DS1 on PS3.

How the F do I swap the Left Analog and DPad functions? Left analog is set to swap inv items, and dpad is to move. That is annoying.

Logitech F310 btw.

Nevermind.

That little "Mode" button isn't a power button. The green light is deceiving.

Good to go.

kazebyaka

Banned
Where do i find my pre-order dlc within the game? I just arrived to the first settlement and got some flask from a girl.
Also, how do i level up in this game? Sorry, total noob here.

JackEtc

So is there an agreement on what class is the best for beginners?

I want a fast, agile, melee character that may or may not use a shield. I started the game up last night and picked a knight, but didn't do anything really. Is that my best option?

Maybesew

So is there an agreement on what class is the best for beginners?

I want a fast, agile, melee character that may or may not use a shield. I started the game up last night and picked a knight, but didn't do anything really. Is that my best option?

Probably Knight. You start with a good sword and a decent amount of HP. The other option would be bandit if you arent sure about going STR or DEX

Where do i find my pre-order dlc within the game? I just arrived to the first settlement and got some flask from a girl.
Also, how do i level up in this game? Sorry, total noob here.

My items automatically popped into my inventory when I started the game. You level up by talking to the girl near the bonfire.

Played for a couple hours yesterday and had a really nice time in the
Forest of Fallen Giants
. Did not die yet, which was cool enough for me, who died several times at the start of Dark Souls 1.

So far the most hard enemy for me was
a knight who was sitting by a tree
, after that I advanced with some coop help until I got into a room
with some ballistae inside
. Had to log out there.

I guess I'm just really really early in the game.

Blinck

Played 4 hours yesterday!

Nvidia 670 GTX and the game runs perfectly at 60fps 1080p with everything maxed out. I could probably even downsample but I don't notice the aliasing due to the distance I'm at. Also the game never crashed or gave me any problems fortunately, but my feelings go to those that are having issues :( I hope they patch it soon!

As for the game itself I'm loving it. Love the new hub and love the music in it. The intro section/tutorial is pretty awful though.
I've killed the first ( ? ) two bosses and I'm having a fucking blast. The game does feel different due to the new engine but once I got used to it I started getting Souls feelings once again.
Also the game looks much better than DkS1. Sure it's not like the e3 trailer, but it's still a good step up.

Question time, if anyone would be so kind to answer :p

Adaptability -What exactly does this do and how much do I need to notice the effects? I'm playing as a knight and I'm going with a quality build to try many different weapons, but mostly gonna focus on 2h swords.

Weight - It seems like the way weight behaves has changed. I don't really notice any difference on my roll below or above 50% weight - I'm guessing rolling is now affected by Adaptability ?

Item discovery - where is this stat? I can't find it on the stat screen!!

Any help with these would be great!
Thanks ! :)

Uthred

I am not a fan of it at all because the better I get, the more I'll have to be conscious of not completely breaking my weapons. Especially good ones. I hope durability increases as you improve them? It feels like a punishment because when I'm out on the field I have to rest at bonfires to repair, for the most part; resting respawns enemies (which is fine until it starts hindering progress). If I constantly have to do this to make sure I have weapons to progress it will be very infuriating. It feels like a complete regression compared to both games. They had a perfect system.

It just makes durability work like magic in the other two games, I dont see the problem with it.

JackEtc

Probably Knight. You start with a good sword and a decent amount of HP. The other option would be bandit if you arent sure about going STR or DEX

My items automatically popped into my inventory when I started the game. You level up by talking to the girl near the bonfire.

Alright, cool.

So that's what all those items were! I have no idea which item is better than the others haha. It wouldn't let me "proceed" when I tried to equip a few of them....?

So, what do people recommend to install/tweak before starting if I expect to be able to play at 60fps 1080 quite easily. Or should I just follow Durante's tweaks for now and that is it?

Finally took down
The Pursuer
. Man co-oping is so much easier in DS2.

Got me some nice
Drangelic
armor now. Shit is super heavy. Time to go back to Heide's and see how it goes.

For those arguing about what is the best weapon for Heide

Its a blunt weapon, plated enemies take more damage from strike instead of slash or pierce, so buy a mace or club off the blacksmith

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is this legal?

As soon as you download it the FBI puts you on a list for being a top industry illegal leet gaming haxor.

Steam doesn't care about achievements. I imagine they especially don't care about you REMOVING achievements you've already got.

legacyzero

Banned

Nvidia 670 GTX and the game runs perfectly at 60fps 1080p with everything maxed out. I could probably even downsample but I don't notice the aliasing due to the distance I'm at.

I'm downsampling from 1800 and STILL stuck at 60 FPS. And I have a 670 as well. This game is SUPER optimized.

eot

Banned

Nvidia 670 GTX and the game runs perfectly at 60fps 1080p with everything maxed out. I could probably even downsample but I don't notice the aliasing due to the distance I'm at. Also the game never crashed or gave me any problems fortunately, but my feelings go to those that are having issues :( I hope they patch it soon!)

Downsampling improves the IQ a lot, it doesn't just eliminate jaggies. It just makes everything super crisp, more like a photograph.

Damn,
Pursuer
was brutal. I had only died a couple of times before falling over and over to him, I can only imagine how a complete newcomer to the series must have felt. Who said this game was easier than Dark Souls again? Was I even supposed to fight him at that point anyway?
Lost Bastille
was kind of kicking my ass after that anyway, so I headed to Heide's Tower instead, where I easily got rid of the
two
bosses. Speaking of which,
the Old Dragonslayer is obviously Ornstein
, isn't he?

I hope I'm heading the right way, this game is even more vague than its predecessor when it comes to instructions, and that's no easy task really.

Oh, and by the way when am I going to be able to upgrade? I suppose I need the key for the blacksmith in Majula?

Got me some nice
Drangelic
armor now. Shit is super heavy. Time to go back to Heide's and see how it goes.

Yeah, that was some nice loot. The
Drangleic Sword
seems pretty sweet too, would that be a viable end game weapon? I'm thinking or investing in dexterity to be able to actually make use of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn,
Pursuer
was brutal. I had only died a couple of times before falling over and over to him, I can only imagine how a complete newcomer to the series must have felt. Who said this game was easier than Dark Souls again? Was I even supposed to fight him at that point anyway?
Lost Bastille
was kind of kicking my ass after that anyway, so I headed to Heide's Tower instead, where I easily got rid of the
two
bosses. Speaking of which,
the Old Dragonslayer is obviously Ornstein
, isn't he?

I hope I'm heading the right way, this game is even more vague than its predecessor when it comes to instructions, and that's no easy task really.

Oh, and by the way when am I going to be able to upgrade? I suppose I need the key for the blacksmith in Majula?

you already passed the key, heres where it is if you want to know
key is bought from that KEH HEH HEH witch near the bonfire in forrest of giants

I suck at this game. Beat the first boss
last giant
but damn this
pursuer
guy is hardddddddddd and this losing health at each death is somewhat annoying

Tak3n

Banned
FFS. Rage....I thought I must be really shit...then I just read that I should not join the first covenant as it makes the game a lot harder....

Anyway to leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom