• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I suck at this game. Beat the first boss
last giant
but damn this
pursuer
guy is hardddddddddd and this losing health at each death is somewhat annoying
Eat an effigy to reverse this. Also keep an eye out for Ring of Life Protection. Saves your Life and Souls, breaks when you die, but can be repaired for 3k.

For those of you looking for borderless windowed mode in Dark Souls 2, here is a solution!

Thanks to RadTT on the Steam Forums for finding this simple fix.

There's a config file ("userconfig.properties" open it in notepad) in the Dark Souls 2 folder that seems to only contain the position of the game window. So if you put the game in windowed mode and then put negative values in that config file, the window will shift up and to the left, essentially giving you a borderless window.

The values I used were App.Window.X = -5 and App.Window.Y = -28

The three sentinels are ludicrously tough. I can kill the first one pretty reliably, but fighting two at once requires zero mistakes.
At least the music during the fight is GREAT.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I suck at this game. Beat the first boss
last giant
but damn this
pursuer
guy is hardddddddddd and this losing health at each death is somewhat annoying

pop a human effigy so you can use summon signs and kick his ass in co-op. Dont let the game break you just because youre supposed to kill bosses solo. Dont forget, a lot of this game is the new game+ (and++, and +++ etc) so who knows, maybe by then if youre still playing, you will kill him solo when you are better at the game (im not saying you cant now, but like I said, dont let it make you hate the game)

I almost gave up on Dark Souls 1 on O&S, that boss broke me (I didnt know about summons), when I finally beat them using Solaire, it felt so good, and I was totally back in the game.

Eat an effigy to reverse this. Also keep an eye out for Ring of Life Protection. Saves your Life and Souls, breaks when you die, but can be repaired for 3k.

Yeah I know you can reverse it but I just think it's rather tedious. Also, what if you're at a boss and you don't have anymore and/or can't find any?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
As soon as you download it the FBI puts you on a list for being a top industry illegal leet gaming haxor.

Steam doesn't care about achievements. I imagine they especially don't care about you REMOVING achievements you've already got.

Wait, they don't save them like X-box Live does as soon as you get them they're permanent? WTF Valve.

Oh well, whatever. No big deal. Speaking of the achievements: I love what they did with them in Dark Souls 2. They don't show the icon until you get it. Really neat effect more devs on Steam should use.

Tak3n

Banned
So how much harder does that first covenant make it...as I died a lot...especially at the section with the knight at tree...they seemed to assault me as soon as I got of the ladder

Are numerous bosses vulnerable to different sorts of weapons? It was easy in Dark Souls to beat any boss with a blunt or blade weapon, it really made no difference. But I heard that
The Pursuer resists slash damage,
and when I switched weapon types I was doing twice as much damage and could stagger him.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Are numerous bosses vulnerable to different sorts of weapons? It was easy in Dark Souls to beat any boss with a blunt or blade weapon, it really made no difference. But I heard that
and when I switched weapon types I was doing twice as much damage and could stagger him.

I tried hitting the
Pursuer
with both slash and strike (sword and mace) and it made no difference in damage for me.

Blinck

What's this about joining the first covenant making the game harder? The Way of the Blue?

How does it make the game harder ? :eek: I also joined it..

EDIT: Nvm answer above!

Fuck me..

Tiops

Blunt damage is great the whole game. I don't remember any boss that is resistant to it. Slash damage, however, is really bad in a lot of them. Lots of bosses with heavy armor. DEX currently is a bad choice, unfortunately. Unless you use thrust weapons (lances and rapiers), they do decent damage. But still less than blunt.

-MD-

Played about 5 hours or so, took out the first boss (died 4 times due to his awkward swing).

Soul level 25 or something, think I've died about 10 times so far.

Blunt damage is great the whole game. I don't remember any boss that is resistant to it. Slash damage, however, is really bad in a lot of them. Lots of bosses with heavy armor. DEX currently is a bad choice, unfortunately. Unless you use thrust weapons (lances and rapiers), they do decent damage. But still less than blunt.
What are some good endgame blunt weapons?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I used a scimitar +3 before, 30-50 damage. Switched to a mace and was doing 100+ damage per hit and staggered him 3-4 times.

Huh, strange.

Damage didn't even change for me. I had the required stats for everything too. :|

What's this about joining the first covenant making the game harder? The Way of the Blue?

Fuck me..

It isn't Way of the Blue that makes it harder.

Tiops

What are some good endgame blunt weapons?
I'm not able to look in wikis now (blocked at word), but there is a great number of blunt weapons with decent scaling in STR. I finished the game easily with the Large Club, A scaling and great damage. I was hitting for about 600 damage using in one hand. And you get it really early in the game.

You can even finish it with the Club that the first item merchant sells you. Even better if you dual wield it.

I also think that Ultra Greatswords don't suffer the problem that other slash weapons have. They're also a great option for STR builds, and you can find one early in the game too (the Greatsword).

Yes. Yes they doe.

lol ok so how does this work you have to help someone first? I got summoned beat the guy but it didn't beat it for my world but then I had option of clicking soap stones after? And lol the boss died same time as me so fail. Guess some guy shot arrows or something look like they hit me? Also how many people can you summon? Looks like 3?

Zelkian

Neo Member
I don't know if this has been fixed or not, but I was getting crashes on my Nvidia card with both a computer monitor (DVI) and my TV (HDMI) were both being used for multiple displays.

By just disabling one of the displays in the control panel, I haven't gotten any more crashes even using just my TV with HDMI. I remember some people saying HDMI might be crashing it earlier in the thread.

feel

I really dislike that there's fast-travel, makes exploring dangerous new locations way less special if you're always seconds away from safe and sunny Majula when near a bonfire. I really liked that feeling of being stuck in some shitty forsaken place in DkS1 for a long time and having to fight and explore my way against bad odds to return to a nicer one. :(

zma1013

Fuck me..

Way of the Blue covenant doesn't do anything to the difficulty of the game. That's a different covenant.

lol ok so how does this work you have to help someone first? I got summoned beat the guy but it didn't beat it for my world but then I had option of clicking soap stones after? And lol the boss died same time as me so fail. Guess some guy shot arrows or something look like they hit me? Also how many people can you summon? Looks like 3?

If you help someone beat a boss in their world, you get your humanity back, which gets you 100% of your health back and lets you summon help from other people.

Thrakier

I installed Durantes new fix but I'm not sure if it's working...it doesn't look like it's downsampling. Or do I need to choose the right setting in the options still?

Quikies83

"No Downsampling" when I hit "+". I'm quite sure i've got all information entered correctly in the ini files.
What am I missing??
In-Game AA is enabled.

Tak3n

Banned

Fuck me..

It is the covenant in majira that you join...
company of champions
that has fucked me over

Company of Champions makes the game harder. I didn't notice a difference on my second character though, except maybe the Heide knight was a little more aggressive and did more damage. Lost Giant and other creatures hit for about the same amount. It also disallows summoning/being summoned so maybe that's what makes the game "harder".

feel

"No Downsampling" when I hit "+". I'm quite sure i've got all information entered correctly in the ini files.
What am I missing??
In-Game AA is enabled.
I've had to change the ingame options resolution for it to kick in on few occasions while testing and not in others. It's confusing.

Tiops

I'm starting to think going DEX was not such a good idea, but i will persevere.
Try switching to STR if you're having problems. Dex is definitely weaker, I would only recommend to someone that already knows the game well or want something more challenging. There are some decent weapons, but most of them you can only get mid or end game, and are curved greatswords that require STR...

I'm having fun dual wielding rapiers, but I'm also increasing my faith to use lightning buffs on them to do more damage.

Superflat

5 hours into the game.

I feel like I experienced all the ambushes in the entirety Dark Souls in these first 5 hours of Dark Souls II. They're just nonstop. Like >60% of enemies anywhere are made to surprise you, and notice you from further away.

Warping is convenient but I don't use it much.

Each death chipping away at your max health until 50% to me heavily discourages experimentation, as well as practicing tougher maneuvers. When each death means I have less health to use, it makes me want to stick to the cheapest, safest tactic there is (which I guess, is what they want you to do?). It didn't really stop me however, and I'm at 50% health usage until I use another effigy. I have a feeling I'm going to be at half health for the majority of the game.

Taking enemies out of the map after a certain number of runs seems random and kind of unfortunate if you were determined to get through a particularly tough gauntlet, only for the game to give you a unwarranted free pass.

Not saying these are all bad things necessarily, but I feel like I have to re-adjust my expectations and accept these differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom