• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding early level Cleric much harder than advertised. The mace they give you doesn't even play nice with the starting stats, neither does the preorder one. I have had better luck with short sword/dagger and shield combos than with a mace.

HoosTrax

Anyone tried that Gestapo or whatever it's called downsampling tool from Durante yet? (and please change that name) Should I hold off on it for now until it's stable enough for general users and not just tweakers?

zma1013

Taking enemies out of the map after a certain number of runs seems random and kind of unfortunate if you were determined to get through a particularly tough gauntlet, only for the game to give you a unwarranted free pass.

I think it's a good change to be honest. The amount of attempts it gives you are more than enough to learn the area and improve. If anything, it rewards your shear determination and invested time, so I wouldn't call it an unwarranted free pass at all.

Audette

Almost tempted to pick this up... I saw a 25% off voucher on Green man recently started if anybody was need more convincing to the PC version up.

should I? ugh.. never played the first tempted by the hype...

antitrop

Almost tempted to pick this up... I saw a 25% off voucher on Green man recently started if anybody was need more convincing to the PC version up.

Play the first one and by time you're done with that, this will be cheap.

-MD-

Honestly I'm loving the game, you should go for it.

Play the first one and by time you're done with that, this will be cheap.

It's more fun being able to participate with everyone, the first DS was a very lonely experience for me, which was fine for the kind of game it was but I definitely didn't wanna miss out this time. If money is an issue that's the way to go though I suppose.

r3n4ud

For the past few hours I've been trying out all the characters to see what I like the most. Decided on the sorcerer, because, well...I'm a chicken shit and like to fight from afar, lol. Was going to choose the knight since he's badass, but close-range combat killlllls me lots :/.

Time to just play the game and stop worrying about my character.

HoosTrax

Are you able to eventually get the set of armor worn by the "canonical" warrior guy (is it in the game?). Talking about the vaguely Nordic-looking armor, with the Boba Fett-like helmet and fur shawl.

cakely

FYI, I my Green Man Gaming pre-order worked just fine. I got my code last night, worked with no difficulty.

Started playing with the Playstation 4 controller via bluetooth. Game runs very smoothly, and looks quite excellent, in my opinion.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The blood stains are hilarious so far. Why do peoples keep rolling and jumping everywhere near cliffs or deep holes ? Sometimes it seems like they're smashing buttons and falling down by mistake lol.

I love these as well. A lot of times it will be a guy standing there facing away from a cliff for 1-2 seconds, then he suddenly turns on a dime and bails right off the edge.

Anybody else not liking the camera controls? I hate how it suddenly speeds up the camera when you move the right stick too much in some direction. The camera in DS1 was so much smoother. I wonder if there could be some way to fix this.

-MD-

Anybody else not liking the camera controls? I hate how it suddenly speeds up the camera when you move the right stick too much in some direction. The camera in DS1 was so much smoother. I wonder if there could be some way to fix this.

Haven't noticed anything like that on my end.

You're not crazy, the item UI in this game is garbage.

My only real gripe with the game is not being able to compare items, I'm pretty sure even DS1 had that feature.

Tiops

Are you able to eventually get the set of armor worn by the "canonical" warrior guy (is it in the game?). Talking about the vaguely Nordic-looking armor, with the Boba Fett-like helmet and fur shawl.
Yup. But you can only get it late in the game.

Beaten :p

moop1167

Anyone else get slowdowns in places such as Heide's Tower running down the spiral stairs or at the bottom in the water? Looking in certain directions seems to drop it a bit.

I've got SLI GTX 670's and I am running 1600p with no SGSSAA. I feel like I shouldn't be getting the slowdowns I am experiencing. Otherwise it's silky smooth.

onionfrog

I thought i'd be fine playing this after having beaten Dark Souls multiple times, including a soul level 1 run. But NOPE!

Starting as a deprived was rough. I managed to break my dagger in the forest, then all I had was a broken straight sword. Then I broke the broken straight sword! At that point all I had was a broken thief's sword, which I could only use two handed. I managed to make do with it. I'm fine now that I've got the blacksmith's key and a new weapon though.

DARK SOULS! :D
I'm loving every minute of it.

The blood stains are hilarious so far. Why do peoples keep rolling and jumping everywhere near cliffs or deep holes ? Sometimes it seems like they're smashing buttons and falling down by mistake lol.
I'm only at the forest of the fallen giants, but god are there a ton of bloodstains!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's fun walking into a new hallway and seeing a good dozen bloodstains in a small area.

Guess I should be careful.

zma1013

Yeah but I don't think you find it until a ways into the game.

-MD-

It's fun walking into a new hallway and seeing a good dozen bloodstains in a small area.

It's hilarious seeing a handful of bloodstains in a room and there not be anything but like a single generic dagger enemy or something trivial.

Only for folks that have played the game fairly far along:

Has anyone discovered a way to get to the 4th bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants early?
I just want to see if I can do it...sort of like leaving a message in a hard to reach place.

Not too careful though. After playing offline for a while, arriving in Majula and seeing all those bloodstains around just made me laugh.

The lenghts people go to die in stupid ways.

LiK

wow, the loading and summoning is so much faster than consoles. pretty impressed so far.

one thing i'm annoyed by is people putting their stupid summon signs in front of chests and items. didn't encounter that on consoles. stupid trolls.

duxstar

I figured this is the quickest way to get an answer, but is there no way to change the refresh rate on the game from 60 hz to 59?

Im trying to send it through my HDMI cord (yes I know thats an issue), and because the tv only displays at 59hz instead of 60 it won't show up even though the program is running. In Dark Souls 1 i just went into the config file and changed it, but theres no "refresh rate" option in the dark souls 2 config.

Haven't noticed anything like that on my end.

My only real gripe with the game is not being able to compare items, I'm pretty sure even DS1 had that feature.

When you move the right stick about 50% in some direction, the camera suddenly becomes about twice as fast. It was actually the same in the beta, but I hoped there might be some option to tweak this in the final release, but it doesn't look like it.

Has anyone discovered a way to get to the 4th bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants early?
I just want to see if I can do it...sort of like leaving a message in a hard to reach place.
You're not going to get it until the very end of the game.

Only got to play an hour so far last night, but already it's been a huge step up over the console version. Textures look notably sharper, the lighting looks a little better (could just be better IQ mind) but mainly the load times are a huge advantage, no more wasting a load of time any time I want to level up.

And 60fps of course, the real Dark Souls 2 starts here.

Blinck

At how much is the Worldwide Deaths Counter? Can't play atm :(

4 hours after Steam release it was around 910.000 deaths! So cool that they implemented this :D

I saw a speed run where
you exit the Cardinal Tower the way you came, you can do a jump attack at a specific angle to get up on the wall, then you can do a running jump with the Cat Ring to get over there. Not much point to doing so until near the end game though, since you need a specific item to even do anything there.

Loving how much better the multiplayer features work now; there's messages everywhere and a lot of them are really helpful. They've saved my life and guided me to treasure multiple times now. And my messages are constantly being rated too :D

Co-Op is a lot easier too which is awesome since it was my favorite aspect of Demon's Souls, always had trouble with it in Dark Souls.

Does anyone else have sound issues when summoning though? Everything gets muted like it would in games with voice chat so I have a feeling its related to that, but I have voice chat turned off :/

edit:
At how much is the Worldwide Deaths Counter? Can't play atm :(

4 hours after Steam release it was around 910.000 deaths! So cool that they implemented this :D

I think its at around 4 million + now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game is awesome. Man I did not get very far on the 360 version before my console broke but I have to say it has been even better the second time around. It's not even that much easier, you still have to respect the game a lot early on. Even on low and medium settings (all my pc can muster) this game runs notably smoother than the 360 version.

Does anyone know if they buffed Lucatiel or something? She is a freakin' tank now. So much hp and doesn't deal bad damage. She's like the honey badger now.
14006178232_eed8a35dea_z.jpg

Also, Alva has to be one of the best looking armors.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Regretting going for the Swordsman class, not sure if I should restart or just spec more towards a 1h+shield build.

Arjen

This game is awesome. Man I did not get very far on the 360 version before my console broke but I have to say it has been even better the second time around. It's not even that much easier, you still have to respect the game a lot early on. Even on low and medium settings (all my pc can muster) this game runs notably smoother than the 360 version.

Does anyone know if they buffed Lucatiel or something? She is a freakin' tank now. So much hp and doesn't deal bad damage. She's like the honey badger now.

Also, Alva has to be one of the best looking armors.

They buffed Luca in the latest calibrations. She went from. Goddamn Luca! to Nice Luca!

zma1013

I wish message ratings actually gave you something.

Also, can't you put down white soapstone if you've beaten the boss in that area? I thought it was just, you couldn't summon?

I believe when your message is rated, it gives you health. You might get lucky one time and get a rating when you're fighting and are down on HP.

I wish message ratings actually gave you something.

Also, can't you put down white soapstone if you've beaten the boss in that area? I thought it was just, you couldn't summon?

They do give you something. Every time your message is rated you heal a small portion of your health.

MayMay

Banned
If anyone still has issues launching the game, did you guys install it on C: or on another drive? I had the game working on C; (because of the pre-load), but I wanted to have it on my external HDD like all my other games. Pushed it over to K: and it stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom