• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

Regretting going for the Swordsman class, not sure if I should restart or just spec more towards a 1h+shield build.

It really shouldn't be an issue. Just put some more points into whatever shield you want requires. Many weapons and shields use similar stats anyways.

sixghost

Regretting going for the Swordsman class, not sure if I should restart or just spec more towards a 1h+shield build.

For whatever reason the swordsman has extremely low ADP, which is terrible for a class that starts with no shield. Put points into that stat immediately. Even if you just raise it to 12 or 13, it helps immensely.

Soulhouf

Just saw this.

BmAeMvuCYAABaNk.png

They buffed Luca in the latest calibrations. She went from. Goddamn Luca! to Nice Luca!

Yeah no kidding. One time I invaded a guy, and the host just ran off leaving to me to fight Luca. She was still totally braindead, but I was backstabbing her for days before she finally died. Hell I even summoned her for
The Lost Sinner on NG+
and she survived to the end. She's much more useful now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

wut

I picked swordsman and am going 1h+shield. It gears itself towards DEX weapons of course, but otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That much I know, I just didn't know if there was a way to get there early for the sake of messing around.

There is, but it's a really hard jump shortcut.

There's already a few speedruns out there. Early prototype runs, nothing optimal, but you will find some good stuff.

Garcia

Can't wait to get back home and play again all night long!

I complained yesterday about how strange the behavior of summoning appeared to be (working either perfectly or not so good at random) but past 10:00 PM (CST) I experienced no problems anymore.
Lost Bastille's
floor was a shocking (and wonderful!) sight to stare at: Summon signs everywhere! I think I spent almost 2 hours in that location alone easily while helping others.

I also feel really comfortable wearing no armor at all since I've already completed one run of the game before. The only situations where I invoke a good shield are ally boss fights. I tried helping people out with the
3 Sentinels
but their attacks are so wide I needed to protect myself (and also to remain in their world as a good off/def tank).

No Man's Wharf
was one of the most frustrating areas for me while I was playing the console release mainly because of the painful loading times, but not anymore. I spent 1 and a half hours in there last night helping others.

I'm so happy that I can die peacefully in this game and make stupid mistakes. The only penalty will be the loss of my souls and not the loss of my time.

Also, leveling up + fixing/upgrading equipment isn't a chore anymore. Majula is now 3 seconds away from you.

Those guys shouldn't have released this game on last-gen consoles at all. Their game is crazy optimized: I ran DS2 on a ~6 year old laptop today (which comes with a low-end video card) and the game was even more playable than on PS3, FFS!

I am finding early level Cleric much harder than advertised. The mace they give you doesn't even play nice with the starting stats, neither does the preorder one. I have had better luck with short sword/dagger and shield combos than with a mace.

If you start as Cleric you should head straight to
Heide's Tower of flame, before FOTFG. That blunt mace seriously wrecks the knights there, and once you beat the boss you can start buying all your early game Miracles, including lightning spear.

Also in the early game that heal miracle is going to be very handy when you have such little Estus. Cleric is a great starting class.

So how exactly is duty fullfilled decided when you go into someones world or summon someone?
After I beat pursuer and got taken away by the bird.
I did a summon again to give it a try and I killed a couple guys then it said duty fullfilled. But hey that is fine because it returned me to human at full health lol

Orcastar

Wanted to play this on my 40 inch TV, but apparently From didn't think anyone would want to do something as crazy as that, so the game crashes on startup.

Oh well, guess I'll have to play on my monitor then. Except that my controller doesn't work. Apparently From didn't think that people might have some other input devices plugged into their PCs besides a mouse, a keyboard and a controller, so I have to unplug my Wacom and my Orbweaver in order to play the game with a controller.

Great job, From.

If you start as Cleric you should head straight to
Heide's Tower of flame, before FOTFG. That blunt mace seriously wrecks the knights there, and once you beat the boss you can start buying all your early game Miracles, including lightning spear.

Also in the early game that heal miracle is going to be very handy when you have such little Estus. Cleric is a great starting class.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the Tower tonight.

Rich!

Everything is working fine now! Got durante's tool running at downsampled from 4K or some shit and it looks fucking good.

just beat the pursuer! Started with a sorcerer, levelled up my strength first to lv10, and now I'm kicking ass with a flaming sword. yes!

JLeack

Banned
Just co-oped for my first time (there was noone to play with during the review phase...). Wow, so much fun. It's kind of charming when someone doesn't have a mic and you communicate with body language and gestures.

What was it that made co-op in Dark Souls so crap? I beat the game but never once was able to summon someone or be summoned. Maybe it was a network issue? I don't know.

So how exactly is duty fullfilled decided when you go into someones world or summon someone?
After I beat pursuer and got taken away by the bird.
I did a summon again to give it a try and I killed a couple guys then it said duty fullfilled. But hey that is fine because it returned me to human at full health lol

Very mild game mechanics spoilers:
There's 2 soapstones. The large one summons you until you clear the boss, and gives you a token of fidelity, or later on a different covenant item if you've joined it. The small one summons you as a shade with a short time limit, and you only have to clear a few enemies. The reward for a shade is spells and estus refilled, as well as reviving to human.

Garcia

What was it that made co-op in Dark Souls so crap? I beat the game but never once was able to summon someone or be summoned. Maybe it was a network issue? I don't know.

I would also like to know. I usually blame it on GFWL but I've read some people claiming that the PS3 version of DS was barren at launch as well (?). I'd like for someone to clarify that for us.

Matchmaking was done entirely via P2P in Dark Souls 1, in 2 players are matched up via a central server, which is much more reliable.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yeah I know you can reverse it but I just think it's rather tedious. Also, what if you're at a boss and you don't have anymore and/or can't find any?
I know that problem. There are enemies you can farm for effigys, but the ring of life protection solution is a good compensation for that.

This game feels so different to me. Everything my character does feels slow and sluggish. Like there is way more cooldown time after/between attacks than in DS1. Stunlock seems much more prevalent too. Really slow health recovery with the lifegems.

All of this means I have to change my playstyle from DS1 a lot, at least until I get some more estus and better stats.

I went straight to
Heide's
because I didn't know the
Forest
existed. Had a very "Skeleton's from DS1" experience, but at least those guys give 400 souls a pop. Left
Heide's
once I found the
Forest
. Might have to use an effigy since my health is really low now.

We'll see how my next session goes. Hopefully I get through the
Forest
and it has the
Blacksmith key
since I'm sure my weapons are going to break before too long.

Garcia

There's 2 soapstones. The large one summons you until you clear the boss, and gives you a token of fidelity, or later on a different covenant item if you've joined it. The small one summons you as a shade with a short time limit, and you only have to clear a few enemies. The reward for a shade is spells and estus refilled, as well as reviving to human.

This blew my mind! (the
small soapstone's
use). Thanks!

masterkajo

Finally got home from a long working day and get to start playing the game. Everything works great and runs smoothly. Getting 60FPS with High SSMA, SSAO, post processing and downsampling from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 with GeDoSato on a slightly OCed 7850 at ~70% workload (gets to about 100% near fog gates).

The only thing I haven't managed to do is get it to work on my TV which is connected via HDMI. Works great on DVI on Monitor but I would like to get my comfy couch gaming on this night and really need to try to get it to work over HDMI. Haven't followed the last 30 pages. Any progress on that?

Ah cool thx

Soulhouf

You forgot the best part:
You earn a smooth & silky stone as a shade.

yatesl

Armour has stat requirements now? What happens if I don't meet them? I've just picked up something that's +50 more than my current armour, but with a red -9. Does that mean I'll only get a +41 armour increase, or it'll actually be worse?

Zom

Banned
Still waiting for the patch that fix crashes on launch, but for now I'm playing in crappy windowed resolution, either way my god 60fps are amazing.

Sullichin

Armour has stat requirements now? What happens if I don't meet them? I've just picked up something that's +50 more than my current armour, but with a red -9. Does that mean I'll only get a +41 armour increase, or it'll actually be worse?

It means you are getting (negative) stat scaling in your defense of -9. If you had the STR for it you'd get a positive defense bonus instead of a reduction.

Arjen

Also, for anyone struggling with gear getting broken fast. Put down your sign, if you furfill your duty, gear will be repaired spells and estus refilled.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game feels so different to me. Everything my character does feels slow and sluggish. Like there is way more cooldown time after/between attacks than in DS1. Stunlock seems much more prevalent too. Really slow health recovery with the lifegems.

All of this means I have to change my playstyle from DS1 a lot, at least until I get some more estus and better stats.

I went straight to
Heide's
Forest
existed. Had a very "Skeleton's from DS1" experience, but at least those guys give 400 souls a pop. Left
Heide's
once I found the
Forest

Forest
and it has the
Blacksmith key

Your weapon is restored whenever you rest at bonfire, so don't stress about the blacksmith for that reason.

2AdEPT

Only for folks that have played the game fairly far along:

Has anyone discovered a way to get to the 4th bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants early?
I just want to see if I can do it...sort of like leaving a message in a hard to reach place.

I havent done it but its possible: [major spoiler try to figure it out yourself first]
you can roll up the ledge then jump off, hit a rock protrusion and bounce across to the other side from right outside the bonfire.
It s only worth two twinkling as you need to have end game stuff done to progress in the area regardless.

---------------------------------------

man I cant wait to get my new monitor...says its shipped via DHL, but was that from Korea or here in Vancouver??!!?....there is a DHL outlet 2 blocks from my house so that is promising, but no idea if they meant DHL Canada or Korea big difference! I have a 1440 hooked up but it is bypass and since my recording card requires HDMI I had to get a new one...ad board, 1440p, isP (LG), 6ms, <$400 = bliss.
-----------------------------------------
I didnt notice an option to downsample yet....how to do ?

Cincaid

I started as a Deprived, since I want full control over my stats. Are there any known figures to what number the stats cap out at (or diminishing returns sets in)?

Never mind, found this. :)

I went straight to
Heide's
Forest
Heide's
once I found the
Forest

Forest
and it has the
Blacksmith key

Try to get your adaptability up to 20. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

So I was playing for about 2 hours... until wifey my came and got me saying I was playing for the past 7 hours. Holy Shit even after beating the PS3 version I can't put this down as it's like a completely different experience.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I asked earlier, but does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the bindings when using a controller? I'm using an Xbox 360 controller and want run on the A button rather than the default B button. Are there any config files that can be modified?

MrOddbird

Neo Member
Let me start by saying that the game runs flawlesly, even with my 6 year old PC. Fantastic in that regard, but there are a few problems with the controls and graphical settings.

How on bloody hell do I confirm, for example the change of resolution? I mean, the only way seems to be to press ESC after the confirmation, but that seems to be it.

It's especially frustrating that the mouse attack is so slow compared to simply smashing H button.

Please help gaffers!

nbthedude

Guys, I don't know if you are aware but there goddamn new DARK SOULS AREAS in this Dark Souls game.

That is like the best thing in the history of videogames right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom