• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

If a chest gets destroyed is that item gone for good? I just found out that enemies can break them, too.

It was a chest with two snipers in no mans wharf and a couple of dual wielders. Any idea what it contains?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ugh. Debating. Already played through on PS3. PC good enough to double dip?
Basically, here's my take on it.

PS3 version is shit.

PC version is absolutely amazing.

Your choice.

As an Heavy Strength build, I'm pissed off that I haven't found a better set than the Drangleic armor set from the beginning of the game.

The shield and the armor are so good. I'm in Earthen Peak and still using it.

Drangleic is not a bad set. You can access some other good armor right now, and better stuff will appear in time. The best heavy armor is theoretically accessible to you very early in the game, but it will probably be a while before you find it. Think of it as time to build up other stats and not worry so much about VIT.

If a chest gets destroyed is that item gone for good? I just found out that enemies can break them, too.

It was a chest with two snipers in no mans wharf and a couple of dual wielders. Any idea what it contains?

Gone for good, but generally the best loot is in metal chests which are indestructible.

Also certain chests can be respawned with bonfire ascetics.

I just can't play this game until the HUD is improved for keyboard users.
The keybinding menu does not even explain what all these Xbox controller icons are supposed to correspond to.
As someone who's never liked the Xbox controllers, this unfortunately makes the game unplayable to me.
Y=parry
n=switch
enter=A button
backspace = Back

Thrakier

I noticed that some enemies dissappear when you killed them often enough.

Can I be summoned when hollow? Waiting for 10 minutes now in front of the first boss....

Zeliard

Can I be summoned when hollow? Waiting for 10 minutes now in front of the first boss....

Yes you can be (and helping the host win returns you to human), and you should be summoned more quickly than that unless there are certain port forwarding issues, or you've leveled up too much.

New to the series: any starting class recommendations or tips?

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dark-souls-ii-1541720802

A good starting class is cleric.

- two handing weapons halves their requirements

- Go to Forest of Giants before Heide's Tower (lower level enemies)

- Don't worry too much about screwing up how you leveled up stats, you have a couple of resets throughout the game as long as you find the item

- I can't recommend playing each area with a guide enough. They'll point out items and secrets you might miss if you played blind.

I noticed that some enemies dissappear when you killed them often enough.

Is it right in front of the fog gate? Generally it's a better idea to put it at the closest bonfire instead, as people usually grab the first summon sign they see.

En-ou

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dark-souls-ii-1541720802

A good starting class is cleric.

- two handing weapons halves their requirements

- Go to Forest of Giants before Heide's Tower (lower level enemies)

- Don't worry too much about screwing up how you leveled up stats, you have a couple of resets throughout the game as long as you find the item

- I can't recommend playing each area with a guide enough. They'll point out items and secrets you might miss if you played blind.
playing this game with a guide defeats the purpose of this game. guides are for new game plus/achievements runs.

So is there a way to run this at 1920x1200 without the black borders?
Guessing no as its the aspect ratio not the resolution but just thought I would ask.

Arkanius

Drangleic is not a bad set. You can access some other good armor right now, and better stuff will appear in time. The best heavy armor is theoretically accessible to you very early in the game, but it will probably be a while before you find it. Think of it as time to build up other stats and not worry so much about VIT.

I'm level 96 already. I have 20 VIT right now.
Which sets are you talking about?

bomer

I started as a cleric and wow they're really powerful. As soon as you get lightening spear most bosses I've hit will die to about 8 hits. Spear seems a lot faster and more accurate that dark souls too. Also man do silky smooth on PC. Load times are 3 seconds instead of 30 (on ps3 retail), and it needs to be said, online is so improved. Every summon sign I double hit a and it either starts summoning or tells me that persons summoned. Takes 15 seconds to get two people for a hard boss fight. Very impressed. None of this, wait... Wait... Wait.... ... Failed summoning.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Spear seems a lot faster and more accurate that dark souls too.
Come on. Spears in this game has been massively fucking nerfed. It's slow, takes a BUNCH of stamina and poise ruins the entire weapon because you can't infinity-hit enemies now.

edit: they can still be good though, not saying otherwise. Just saying compared to Demon's, they're shit.

Frodo

I started as a cleric and wow they're really powerful. As soon as you get lightening spear most bosses I've hit will die to about 8 hits. Spear seems a lot faster and more accurate that dark souls too. Also man do silky smooth on PC. Load times are 3 seconds instead of 30 (on ps3 retail), and it needs to be said, online is so improved. Every summon sign I double hit a and it either starts summoning or tells me that persons summoned. Takes 15 seconds to get two people for a hard boss fight. Very impressed. None of this, wait... Wait... Wait.... ... Failed summoning.

Casters are really, really powerful in some bosses. Specially miracles. Miracles do seem OP in DKII. After you level up enough, some bosses will feel like cutting through butter with a hot knife. I love it.

Yoshichan

Do all daggers deal the same amount of damage when doing backstabs or does the damage depend on the stats of the weapon?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Come on. Spears in this game has been massively fucking nerfed. It's slow, takes a BUNCH of stamina and poise ruins the entire weapon because you can't infinity-hit enemies now.

edit: they can still be good though, not saying otherwise. Just saying compared to Demon's, they're shit.

Good, no more bullshit like the Scraping Spear ever again. :D

I wish I could find the person who came up with the idea for the
rat
covenant and strangle them.

I just go offline when I have to proceed through those areas.

It would be one thing if they invaded you and the normal invasion timer if you kill them, but the fact that you get dragged into their world faster than stepping into the Shrine of Storms in Demon's Souls and have to sit through a zillion load screens makes me forego it altogether.

Anyways if you wish to strangle them I'm more than glad to back up your alibi.

The last thing any Souls game needs is another damn Scraping Spear so I'm not exactly broken up.

Also...*weapon spoiler*
Santier's Spear is pretty damn godlike.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I think he meant the spell

Frodo

Also, I've met two
solders in white
that aren't hostile, I attacked and killed one. Good idea?

Yep.
They are just normal enemies, but they don'tattack unless provoked. They drop gear and it do not count as a sin as far as I'm aware.

eot

Banned
I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction, if there is one.
Killed the Pursuer and the bird took me to Lost Bastille. I managed to beat the boss, the three tall dudes, after quite a few tries. How do you get the treasure in the boss room btw? Anyway, I explored and ended up by the blacksmith but didn't find an ember for him. I did find the bonfire by the long bridge, but it's blocked which makes me think I shouldn't be here yet (on the way there I found an illusory wall, leading to a tunnel that was just a dead end, no idea what that's about). I did make it across into Sinner's something, I checked out another area with a ship as well but couldn't find a way onboard. Oh and I tried going into the Belfry Luna(?) but first time I got invaded and then the midgets fucked me up. Someone said don't ring the bell?

I got the Large Club, but it loses a ton of durability when you do the ground smash. What a bummer :( I love pummeling dudes like that.

Corpekata

Banned
This is going to sound super Master Racey but I love that most summons and summoners I see have actual normal names and not XXmasta like I saw a lot on PS3.

Levyne

Banned
Yep.
They are just normal enemies, but they don'tattack unless provoked. They drop gear and it do not count as a sin as far as I'm aware.

Neat. Thanks!

Still stuck on a certain problem in the
Bastille
, the
statue
, so I'm gonna explore the forest more.

KingKong

Is it just me or is this game way harder than DS1? They start throwing the big enemies at you like right after the first stage

Also I'm a huge fan of DS1, and I'm enjoying this game, and I understand that the 'enemy respawn' is just a core mechanic (yes I know they despawn eventually) but man having to fight through like 10 of those giant guard guys and having to do it all over again when you die is just such a pain in the ass

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is it just me or is this game way harder than DS1? They start throwing the big enemies at you like right after the first stage

Also I'm a huge fan of DS1, and I'm enjoying this game, and I understand that the 'enemy respawn' is just a core mechanic (yes I know they despawn eventually) but man having to fight through like 10 of those giant guard guys and having to do it all over again when you die is just such a pain in the ass

I feel they changed the balance for enemy placement due to the despawn system. Since enemies don't last forever, enemy gauntlets are more common. As well, there are fewer exceptionally tough one-shot enemies that only have one spawn per playthrough. Until (new game+ info)
new game+ starts placing high level dark spirits in all the nastiest spots.

I'm honestly not sure which way I prefer it between DS1 and 2. Though in my personal experience with DS2, it resulted in accumulating a load of souls more quickly just because there's so much combat.

I'm level 96 already. I have 20 VIT right now.
Which sets are you talking about?

Elite Knight and Alva are both good, medium-weight sets that upgrade with standard titanite. The main drawback to Drangleic gear is that it upgrades with twinkling titanite, which is rare in the first two-thirds of the game.

If you're looking for straight-up heavy, you can get (mild lore spoiler)
Havel's Set in the Gutter. However, you will need to find hidden key in Black Gulch first.

Even if you plan to be a tank, it's a good idea to have a variety of armor so that you can mix and match for different situations. You might have a super-heavy weapon or shield you bring out on occasion, and you'll want quality armor that will keep you under 70% equip weight.

Hypron

I decided to do an SL1 company of champions run. So far it's going pretty well, I beat the
Last Giant, the Pursuer
(pretty challenging when you waste your only estus flask before the fight even starts) and the Dargonrider. I'm a bit worried about the
3 sentinels
because I've always been relying on blocking in that bossfight but after the rest of the game shouldn't be -too- bad. I'm two-handing a +4 mace so far, because apparently it's the best weapon for SL1 runs. It seems to do quite a bit of stun damage since I managed to stun both the
Dragonrider and the Pursuer
twice in the same fight with it. I'll infuse it once I can to do more damage. It's a shame its range is so small though...

impact

Banned

Harder in the beginning than Demon's or Dark. Then it gets really easy

If you're struggling level your ADP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom