• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Sure the lightning downgrade was a shame, but damn if this doesn't still look absolutely gorgeous downsampled from 4k with Durante's atmospheric post-processing profile and the silky smooth 60fps. <3

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
If you burn a Bonfire Ascetic in an area, does it carry over into NG+?

Like, the rest of the game is in NG+ but that area is NG++ because of the previous ascetic?

Arkanius

Elite Knight and Alva are both good, medium-weight sets that upgrade with standard titanite. The main drawback to Drangleic gear is that it upgrades with twinkling titanite, which is rare in the first two-thirds of the game.

If you're looking for straight-up heavy, you can get (mild lore spoiler)
Havel's Set in the Gutter. However, you will need to find hidden key in Black Gulch first.

Even if you plan to be a tank, it's a good idea to have a variety of armor so that you can mix and match for different situations. You might have a super-heavy weapon or shield you bring out on occasion, and you'll want quality armor that will keep you under 70% equip weight.

I didn't want to invest in Elite Knight because I already wore that set for the almost interity of Dark Souls 1 (Until I got the Black Knight). However, just checked the Wiki, Faraam set looks awesome (and slightly better)

impact

Banned
Is the summoning completely different in this one? Its been so long I can't remember how it worked in the first, but I don't remember summoning people so quick and easy.
The summoning actually works this time because dedicated servers.
Dark Souls was p2p and the game cycled through lobbies for soul signs.

I just beat the
Ruin Sentinels
and made it to a place with
a giant boat that I can't get on yet.

I didn't go to the 2nd fog gate past the enemies mentioned above yet, but I'm sure that's where I need to go. Either that, or explore
No Man's Wharf
some more.

I sure hope I'm going the right way.

Wunder

THIS GAME. I love the
Bell Keeper Covenant
. I could spend days doing that shit. Are there parameters for which I get matched up against other people?

Ill Saint

Oh and I tried going into the Belfry Luna(?) but first time I got invaded and then the midgets fucked me up. Someone said don't ring the bell?

He was talking about another area, much much further ahead. Regarding the Belfry Luna, mild spoilers:
ringing the bells is fine, and needed if you want to access the boss.

Grief.exe

Is there a second bonfire in Lost Bastille before the boss? I've been making a long trek.

I've gotten them so close to dead, just keep making little mistakes at the end that cost me.

playing this game with a guide defeats the purpose of this game. guides are for new game plus/achievements runs.

In what way shape or form is playing the game by knowing where to find armor/items defeat the purpose? The same could be said about every game if you play it with a guide to know where to find stuff. Weapons and armor really matter in this game, it'd be a shame to miss something that could make the game easier for you because you didn't walk towards a cliff and look down. This game is primarily about combat and survival, not item acquisition.

With that line of thinking, the markings of other players telling you "treasure ahead" or "enemy to the left" and other secrets before you enter a spot are just as bad.

Bucca

Oh, fuck me.

I used it in Heide's tower to get an extra Sublime Dust for the Estus.

Now I'm going to have to deal with an NG++
Old Dragon Slayer
and
Dragonrider
on just NG+?

My ass is too soft.

eot

Banned
Is there a second bonfire in Lost Bastille before the boss? I've been making a long trek.

I've gotten them so close to dead, just keep making little mistakes at the end that cost me.

There is a bonfire you get to via Eagle-express after the Pursuer. If you go from that one you just encounter one fatty knight, and everything else you can sprint past.

Oh, and there is a bonfire by the portcullis with the three dogs as well. You have to roll a barrel down the hill and explode it against the wall.

Wanny

It's a mess for now but it works... a bit. :p

6yGyOMU.jpg

Bucca

Is it true? Can you actually skip
No Man's Wharf?

According to some others it's optional.

It's worth doing though. Nice items to pick up and the area itself is rather cool.

Parsnip

Well this thread moves too much for me to catch up, so I'll just say that I played a bunch, started as a deprived, beat 3 bosses so far. Playing at 1440p, performance is rock solid.

Good times for all.

The
Blue Sentinels
covenent is pretty hilarious. Helping out someone who got invaded is just awesome. Seeing this phantom run up like he's going to do work and having two of us just swarm and take him to pound town...priceless.

Calibus

Dear God! They asked for smooth and silky so I just dropped in a copy of this game for PC. And this is sans tweaks, mods, fixes, etc :O

Onamonapenia

Neo Member
Anyone else getting like, no summoning signs? Like every once in a while a ton will appear, but then they all just disappear, even if front of the boss.

Anyone figured out if there's a borderless window option?

I found this yesterday on the Steam forums:

Cannon Goose said:
For those of you looking for borderless windowed mode in Dark Souls 2, here is a solution!

Thanks to RadTT on the Steam Forums for finding this simple fix.

There's a config file ("userconfig.properties" open it in notepad) in the Dark Souls 2 folder that seems to only contain the position of the game window. So if you put the game in windowed mode and then put negative values in that config file, the window will shift up and to the left, essentially giving you a borderless window.

The values I used were App.Window.X = -5 and App.Window.Y = -28

Whoever said you didn't need torches at all in this game needs to eat a lead pipe. Can't see shit in No Man's Wharf, Betwixt, and some rooms in Forest of the Giants.
And I'm not very far, either.

There's a bonfire hidden behind a wall, and there's a door you can open in the room below the bosses. If you open that up, you can run down into it from closer to the bonfire.

Ilive1up

i kind of hate that i have to keep going back to that chick to level up.

what is the point of that? why would they change it from the bonfire to her? doesn't make any sense to me. just more of a hassle really.

Why was I just summoned to someone else's world? I was just running around, suddenly it said I was summoned, and this dude started attacking me. I beat him into the dirt, luckily enough, but how did it happen? It was like I was forced to invade someone else.

i kind of hate that i have to keep going back to that chick to level up.

what is the point of that? why would they change it from the bonfire to her? doesn't make any sense to me. just more of a hassle really.

It is such a pointless change since you can quick travel immediately. Literally all it does is waste time.

Arken2121

Alrighty. Just started playing and i'm having a blast(as well as wanting to shoot myself). I've decided to stream it and put a small stipulation on myself by beating the game without using a shield. So far it's gone pretty well, just beat the
Pursuer
which was a bitch but man it was satisfying.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alrighty. Just started playing and i'm having a blast(as well as wanting to shoot myself). I've decided to stream it and put a small stipulation on myself by beating the game without using a shield. So far it's gone pretty well, just beat the
Pursuer
which was a bitch but man it was satisfying.

Link?

Why was I just summoned to someone else's world? I was just running around, suddenly it said I was summoned, and this dude started attacking me. I beat him into the dirt, luckily enough, but how did it happen? It was like I was forced to invade someone else.

It is such a pointless change since you can quick travel immediately. Literally all it does is waste time.

Did you kill a rat? (or were you in an area with rats?)

The covenant of the rat king allows you to summon people into your world and attack them.

Firebrand

I didn't expect this game to be harder than the first! Currently getting the shit beaten out of me by
knights at Heide's Tower of Flame
. I decided to roll with warrior instead of knight this time, perhaps I need to adjust to a different playstyle. Using the Falconer garb and a halberd atm. One thing I'm noticing is that shield blocks don't seem nearly as useful in the first game early on, then again, points have been needed elsewhere so I haven't put more than a couple of points into endurance yet which I need to remedy. If I can keep my souls.

I have to say I really don't like the mechanic where they remove spawns. Feels like a bit of a slap in the face, I want to overcome challenges, not have them made easier. They've already removed enemies at least twice where I'm at now, I take it there's no way to restore them?

Anyone else getting like, no summoning signs? Like every once in a while a ton will appear, but then they all just disappear, even if front of the boss.

Yeah I only had summoning signs randomly appear after returning to fight a boss battle. Besides that they never appeared.

Are the bosses in DS2 worse than DS1?

I'm reading that a lot. Is it true?

Besides the bosses I've fought against, I have read this as well. The complaints are that the bosses are just not as cool as DS1 bosses. Most are a variant of a humanoid with armor. While in DS1 there were a lot more creature bosses and semi-bosses.

So there's no giant wolf with a sword in this game

I didn't expect this game to be harder than the first! Currently getting the shit beaten out of me by
. I decided to roll with warrior instead of knight this time, perhaps I need to adjust to a different playstyle. Using the Falconer garb and a halberd atm. One thing I'm noticing is that shield blocks don't seem nearly as useful in the first game early on, then again, points have been needed elsewhere so I haven't put more than a couple of points into endurance yet which I need to remedy. If I can keep my souls.

I have to say I really don't like the mechanic where they remove spawns. Feels like a bit of a slap in the face, I want to overcome challenges, not have them made easier. They've already removed enemies at least twice where I'm at now, I take it there's no way to restore them?

Pretty sure there's an item you can burn to respawn enemies.

there is.. I believe it's called a bonfire aesetic. Careful, though.. it sets the area around the bonfire to new game+ difficulty.

It doesn't really make it easier.. it makes it harder in a way in that you can't farm them for souls to level up or gear up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom