• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I should finish DS1 before the end of the week. But the last boss is handing my ass to me.

Gbraga has you covered but in the event you find that solution tough, timing-wise, having armor/shield with strong fire defense (and subsequent high poise--the Wolf Ring can be an option, though I stuck with the Ring of Steel Protection) will make the fight a cakewalk. Iron Armor (or Black Knight set for less equip load) is perfect for this fight, along with the Black Knight shield. Of course, this is provided you're a savage-style melee player who doesn't mind trading mobility for a face-to-face beatdown just this once. And who doesn't like bludgeoning a boss who comes at you like Gwyn does? Eager little fucker, ain't he?

are they just not selling the pc version in japan or something?

From what I asked (pun intended), they are... but at $80 on Steam. Japan may share with Australia dat price gouging but it's made it worse with a stream of region locks (for example SEGA... people there would love to support SEGA on PC but they don't sell much in Japan! edit: Konami, Square Enix, Bamco, they all do the same...)

Sometimes I feel there is an almost unhealthy hatred towards PC. Not being treated as a proper platform because consoles/handhelds/etc is where is at and because eroge and expensive VNs are its pedigree there. But they basically charge more for PC games than console in Japan, not the other way around.

I guess they have the concept that you have to pay more for the better version...

Anyway, back to Dark Souls 2, I have one question for our Based Lord Durante:

Did you analyze or found out how the lighting works in this game? Why it seems so weird/strange in some places? Are there places where you can't really see a damn thing and need to use the torches or was it like some people said and sconces are just there as a decoration? (I was replaying Skyrim and in that game you just don't have pure black darkness at all, even at 1am! I was at the Sky Temple and the NPCs wasted time lighting sconces just for show because you could still see everything clearly.)

Grief.exe

From what I asked (pun intended), they are... but at $80 on Steam. Japan may share with Australia dat price gouging but it's made it worse with a stream of region locks (for example SEGA... people there would love to support SEGA on PC but they don't sell much in Japan! edit: Konami, Square Enix, Bamco, they all do the same...)

Apparently that is very common in Japan. Also, the reason for the 3DS region locked, so the Japanese cannot import games at lower prices.

Not surprising the population is turning to mobile games at an alarming rate. The price gouging and consumer practices are horrible. The yen isn't all that great either.

Kade

Has GreenManGaming set out keys yet? Still waiting for mine.

Hopefully they're not withholding it because I found out that when they were giving out $12 store credit or $10 cash back for pre-orders of certain games, refunding did not remove the store credit from the account so I stacked $22 worth of rewards and applied that to the purchase.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Has GreenManGaming set out keys yet? Still waiting for mine.

Hopefully they're not withholding it because I found out that when they were giving out $12 store credit or $10 cash back for pre-orders of certain games, refunding did not remove the store credit from the account so I stacked $22 worth of rewards and applied that to the purchase.

no, way too early. I would expect keys around...wednesday / thursday

Durante

You're being so generous, man. The lowest lows of DS2 are significantly worse than those of DS1 by quite a long margin. It's really weird. By the time you reach
Earthen's Peak
you will understand how truly bad it can get (don't forget to look at the roof and walls
inside the windmill
).
I was talking about level design in terms of gameplay, not graphics. In that regard, I haven't really encountered anything Lost Izalith tier bad. But as I said, I'm still early in the game.

EvaristeG

Banned
Lost Izalith had a shit boss and some lame enemies. But level design wasn't so bad. And it looked cool at least. The same can't be said about the shitties areas in Dark Souls II. Fortunately, there aren't that many. Earthen Peak, Shaded Ruins, Black Gulch, were the low points as far as I'm concerned.

I think that Dark Souls II suffers more from many areas being just average/good, and only a few being great. It's kind of uneven. And the fact that it isn't as well interconnected as before makes it more obvious.

legacyzero

Banned
Just be patient. Except for his exceptional speed he's not too different from other late game mobs. Took me at least 6 or 7 deaths to nail it.

Gbraga has you covered but in the event you find that solution tough, timing-wise, having armor/shield with strong fire defense (and subsequent high poise--the Wolf Ring can be an option, though I stuck with the Ring of Steel Protection) will make the fight a cakewalk. Iron Armor (or Black Knight set for less equip load) is perfect for this fight, along with the Black Knight shield. Of course, this is provided you're a savage-style melee player who doesn't mind trading mobility for a face-to-face beatdown just this once. And who doesn't like bludgeoning a boss who comes at you like Gwyn does? Eager little fucker, ain't he?

I just can't beat this fucker. And I can't parry worth a damn, either.

BigAT

Is there a Dark Souls 1 lore thread/recap/video or anything along those lines? I played through it and had a decent idea of what was going, but didn't get deep into the less obvious stuff.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
There's really nothing wrong with Black Gulch. It's a very short gauntlet to the fog door with a couple of easy-to-miss secrets on the way.

Use a shield with a high fire resistance( The Black Knight shield is ideal for this) and use the pillars as a resting point for 1 or 2 estus flask uses. Other than that, learn to parry, or get 1 or at the most 2 hits in at a time before you start dodging or blocking.

Is there a Dark Souls 1 lore thread/recap/video or anything along those lines? I played through it and had a decent idea of what was going, but didn't get deep into the less obvious stuff.
There are like a million recaps on YouTube. Try silver Mont

EvaristeG

Banned
There's really nothing wrong with Black Gulch. It's a very short gauntlet to the fog door with a couple of easy-to-miss secrets on the way.

After The Gutter, which was a decent, harmless callback to Blightown, it felt unnecessary. The way to the boss is really an annoying (in a bad sense) too.

Rich!

was going to buy this yesterday. luckily, I didn't. would have been kicking myself if I had.

...because I suddenly remembered I bought it via simplycdkeys late last year for £19.99! Anyone got any experience with them? I want to be able to pre-load this shit.

The website is http://www.simplycdkeys.com/ - anyone know when they send out their keys?

was going to buy this yesterday. luckily, I didn't. would have been kicking myself if I had.

...because I suddenly remembered I bought it via simplycdkeys late last year for £19.99! Anyone got any experience with them? I want to be able to pre-load this shit.

The website is http://www.simplycdkeys.com/ - anyone know when they send out their keys?

They can only send keys when they have them and when Namco tells them to, and so far, that hasn't happened. Most official retailer will give out keys on the same day.

I don't understand why the minimum says GeForce 9600GT but then insists on that higher HD5000-series Radeon. Surely a HD4000-series Radeon would work.

What do you mean by DPS? And yeah, the Four Kings were pretty terrifying during later playthroughs. First time I fought them they weren't too difficult but afterwards that changed. It's so easy to lose time fighting them and end up with multiple kings on your ass.

DPS is "damage per second". Basically some fights are designed around technique, and others are a race to output as much DPS as possible because if you're too slow they will become progressively more challenging. One of the simplest examples I can recall off the top of my head; World of Warcraft raid bosses used to often have an effective time limit in the form of an enrage timer, at the end of which they would start dealing double damage and kill the entire raid. If you lacked the gear, classes and specs needed to kill them before that point you would never be able to kill them, so they'd frequently be used to gate difficult content by showing that your raid wasn't ready.

The 4 Kings perform a similar function, particularly on sl1 runs, because while you can beat them with luck if you're insanely fortunate you really need to be properly equipped to take them down reliably. If you get stuck on them, you know you're not ready for the rest of the game, so you head back out and work on your equipment.

legacyzero

Banned
Use a shield with a high fire resistance( The Black Knight shield is ideal for this) and use the pillars as a resting point for 1 or 2 estus flask uses. Other than that, learn to parry, or get 1 or at the most 2 hits in at a time before you start dodging or blocking.

Dark have a Black Knight Shield :(

Only fire type shield I have is a Blood Shield. Every time he hits me, it just goes right through my block.

Try target shield.

Hornet Ring + a flame enchanted weapon beats him in like 2-3 parries.

If you're heavy into pyromancy, use dusk's crown and bellowing dragoncrest ring with great combustion to kill him.

eot

Banned
Dark have a Black Knight Shield :(

Only fire type shield I have is a Blood Shield. Every time he hits me, it just goes right through my block.

You can farm the knights outside for a Black Knight shield, or use the Dragoncrest Shield that's by the undead dragon in Valley of Drakes.

Grief.exe

In both Dark Souls I and II, if you are at a low enough soul level in NG+, can you still help people who haven't beaten the game yet?

I believe DSII has a slightly different system, no need to go into specifics there yet.

Rich!

They can only send keys when they have them and when Namco tells them to, and so far, that hasn't happened. Most official retailer will give out keys on the same day.

well, either way - I have a broken arm in a cast.

Won't have it off until a week after release anyway!

Arjen

Check out vaatividiya and enb video's on YouTube

It is not BoC levels of bad though.

I don't know. In both cases you've got a relatively long run to a boss fight that is mostly about instant kills (though the mechanisms are very different). The Dark Souls 2 boss functions more or less like the puzzle bosses from DS and DkS. In fact, I'd say the Dark Souls 2 boss is worse because even with perfect execution you're in for a long fight. Dragon God and BoC can be done in just a few minutes.

In both Dark Souls I and II, if you are at a low enough soul level in NG+, can you still help people who haven't beaten the game yet?

I believe DSII has a slightly different system, no need to go into specifics there yet.
In Dark Souls 1, yes, only SL matters. I've seen a video where someone summoned a phantom from NG into NG+7.

As far as 2 goes
you're completely cutoff from NG players once you go into NG+ and beyond, as far as coop and invasions go anyway. This doesn't even need to be tested, the game actually tells you before you start NG+. Also SL doesn't matter at all anymore, only Soul memory.

legacyzero

Banned
You can farm the knights outside for a Black Knight shield, or use the Dragoncrest Shield that's by the undead dragon in Valley of Drakes.

Shit, I was looking at the wrong stats! I was looking at the left side, versus the left side LOL.

I do have the Dragon crest shield though.

EDIT: Just started practicing parry on the black knights outside. I think I might be getting the hang of this... Even better when to tell when it's 60 FPS. Praised be Durante.

Grief.exe

In Dark Souls 1, yes, only SL matters. I've seen a video where someone summoned a phantom from NG into NG+7.

As far as 2 goes
you're completely cutoff from NG players once you go into NG+ and beyond

For Souls I, that is hilarious. I can only imagine a first time player being overconfident and then getting leveled by the first enemy.

Souls II, I only read the first sentence. My first impression is that is unfortunate as it segments the player base.

legacyzero

Banned
Yeah, learning to parry has already paid off. I've done more damage to him in that regard than I have in previous attempts.

Grief.exe

Is the parry system in Demon's Souls similar to Dark Souls I? I haven't played Demon's yet.

My impressions of the parry system in Dark Souls II is strange. Just the whole knocking them down doesn't look anywhere as cool as parrying in Dark Souls I.
Just a negative superficial impression as I don't know what specific changes were made to the system.

For Souls I, that is hilarious. I can only imagine a first time player being overconfident and then getting leveled by the first enemy.

That's exactly what happens, it's pretty funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yk1OIhWGvg

Edit: From your other question,
parrying in 2 is waaaaaaaay harder than in 1, you have to wind up the parry a bit before the attack is going to hit you. Just getting the timing down is really difficult, and requires more prediction compared to 1 where you could parry on reaction. Also as far as I've noticed at least it doesn't seem to do as much counter damage, though I hear with daggers it's pretty much a 1 hit KO. Since them landing on their ass takes time it might be worth keeping a dagger you can switch to to get maximum damage from the riposte.

2nd edit: Actually I think daggers are best for backstabs, rapiers are probably better for ripostes.

Arjen

Is the parry system in Demon's Souls similar to Dark Souls I? I haven't played Demon's yet.

My impressions of the parry system in Dark Souls II is strange. Just the whole knocking them down doesn't look anywhere as cool as parrying in Dark Souls I.
Just a negative superficial impression as I don't know what specific changes were made to the system.

I don't ever bother parrying, doesn't seem worth it.

EasyMode

The parry animation in Demon's is very similar to Dark, although it varies by weapon of course. From the parries I've seen in DS2 preview vids, the animation does look kinda janky and lacking in oomph.

I was talking about level design in terms of gameplay, not graphics. In that regard, I haven't really encountered anything Lost Izalith tier bad. But as I said, I'm still early in the game.

There's nothing Lost Izalith bad. The worst parts aren't near as long or as annoying. I think it has as many highs as DS1, it's just that the world design as a whole isn't quite as brilliant. In DS1 I beat the game twice and I have 7 characters that never finished after Anor Londo. Whereas, in DS2 there are no roadblocks like the end of DS1 at all.

I am excite! I've been able to stay mostly spoiler free, somehow. Also glad that I've been able to read the general impressions from a lot of people on the game, so that my expectations are in check. I'm not expecting it to be better than DS1 from what I've read, and I know there are some rough spots, but I'm sure it'll be great. (I'm honestly thinking it may be something like Metroid Prime 1 vs Metroid Prime 2 for me. MP1 was amazing, and almost perfect. MP2 had some really rough spots and wasn't nearly as good, but still a great experience.)

I got the Collector's Edition, which is weird for me, since I never get CEs of games and I never preorder anything. I had some Amazon gift cards that brought the price of it down to $50 for me, though, so it was a good deal.

Hypron

I don't know. In both cases you've got a relatively long run to a boss fight that is mostly about instant kills (though the mechanisms are very different). The Dark Souls 2 boss functions more or less like the puzzle bosses from DS and DkS. In fact, I'd say the Dark Souls 2 boss is worse because even with perfect execution you're in for a long fight. Dragon God and BoC can be done in just a few minutes.

While the run up is even worse than the BoC's in DS1
(mainly due to the fact that the enemies are hard to avoid), the fight can be made pretty much foolproof by the use of a great shield. If you can block the attacks, the fight is easy to win. I got him on my second try.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're being so generous, man. The lowest lows of DS2 are significantly worse than those of DS1 by quite a long margin. It's really weird. By the time you reach you will understand how truly bad it can get (don't forget to look at the roof and walls).

This game is screaming for so many texture packs already.
He's talking about level design, not graphics. :p

At least there's no boss as awful as Bed of Chaos, right?
No. One optional boss can be really annoying depending on your build, though. But at least he's optional.

The thing about DSII's level design is that it never matches the pure genius design and complexity of Sen's Fortress or Blighttown for example but overall DSII level design is very consistent quality-wise.
I don't know about that. I feel like the L
ost
B
astille
, the I
ron
K
eep
and N
o
M
an's
W
harf
are definitely Sen-tier quality in terms of atmosphere and level design.

After The Gutter, which was a decent, harmless callback to Blightown, it felt unnecessary. The way to the boss is really an annoying (in a bad sense) too.
There's a hidden bonfire near the boss, if you spawn there you can dash to the boss fog without encountering any enemies and the poison darts will miss you. I agree the level is annoying as hell to explore, though. I always groan every time I want to go to the Abyss portal.

(mainly due to the fact that the enemies are hard to avoid), the fight can be made pretty much foolproof by the use of a great shield. If you can block the attacks, the fight is easy to win. I got him on my second try.
Yes,
it's amazing how much of a different the Gyrm Greatshield makes for this fight.

masterkajo

Still in the Undead Burg, so odds are I won't finish in time for DS2, rather tempted to just skip DS1 tbh.

Do not just skip it and let yourself be pushed along by the hype for Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 1 is an amazing game that you need to see through. You can put it aside for now and play the second game but under no circumstance should you skip it. I haven't played DS2 yet but I was very impressed by the level design in the first game. All the shortcuts and genius level structures - at least until the second part / last third of the game. From what I heard DS2 has less in that regard.

Gorillaz

I did it!!! I FUCKING DID IT! I beat the first Dark Souls!

AND I got the epic last fight recorded!!
http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero/c/4102221
Nothing like seeing someone beat Dark Souls. Brings a tear to my eye.
643.gif

I agree that there is a safe strategy. But it is not available to all builds. And the alternative strategies are considerably more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom