• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Can anyone give me a general zone location hint for the dull ember? Not too specific, but I'd like a little direction.

I'm exploring Sen's the Earthen Tower now if that's any guide to where I'm at

that's prudence. I'm annoyed at the guys who just fucking YOLO every boss and get dominated in 2 seconds

I spent the past 90 minutes or more helping people with the Bastille bosses. 9/10, it's the summoner who dies first, rather than the sumonee's. I'll admit I have died once, but that was because the other summoned guy died instantly, and the host ran into a corner to hide. I get the feeling that people that summon others are simply leeching off those who are capable of soloing it themselves. Coasting, if you will. The real achievement is doing it solo. Though, I'm clearly biased, since I've been playing solo all along.

Can anyone give me a general zone location hint for the dull ember? Not too specific, but I'd like a little direction.

You'll be running into it fairly soon after where you are now.

Nibel

I am on the verge of giving up on this game. If only someone would be so kind and let me know how to jump-attack with keyboard it would make my life easier...

Press forward + heavy attack (at the same time)
You can also press forward + light attack for another move

Levyne

Banned
What it's almost 4am (east coast)

this game.

Finally got one of the items I needed to
heal statues
. Back to the
Bastille
. And also got another pharos key to use in the
Wharf

What it's almost 4am (east coast)

this game.

Finally got one of the items I needed to
heal statues
. Back to the
Bastille
. And also got another pharos key to use in the
Wharf

I wouldn't waste the stone at the
Wharf
if you've already completed it....

Teknoman

Does upping equip load maximum keep the smooth/fast roll, or do you have to level adp as well?

Also I think im going to start giving invading a shot. Hopefully once I start getting invaded, it wont be by "friendly and just" phantoms. Hoping for the days of reckless or "nemesis" style phantom invaders.

Does upping equip load maximum keep the smooth/fast roll, or do you have to level adp as well?

Also I think im going to start giving invading a shot. Hopefully once I start getting invaded, it wont be by "friendly and just" phantoms. Hoping for the days of reckless or "nemesis" style phantom invaders.

Upgrading the Vitality stat increases your Equip Load. The smooth/fast roll tiers are based as a percentage of Equip Load. ADP seems to effect your i-frames when rolling, but not the speed of the roll.

Oh. Well It's the only other one I know of at the moment.

Guess I'll pocket it then.

If curiosity gets the best of you, it will be fine since stones become more plentiful later, but at this stage of the game, I think saving it is the best option.

2AdEPT

I am on the verge of giving up on this game. If only someone would be so kind and let me know how to jump-attack with keyboard it would make my life easier...

Some weapons dont allow jump attack, particularly if you two hand. Use the stone ring, a drop you get from the ogre in things betwxt...and stun lock shit rather than over power them.

Upgrading the Vitality stat increases your Equip Load. The smooth/fast roll tiers are based as a percentage of Equip Load. ADP seems to effect your i-frames when rolling, but not the speed of the roll.

Ive tested this quite a bit....vitality increases the length of rolls....for example I found the heavier
Drangleic Armour
after the
Pursuer
fight....basically my speed of the roll was unaffected, but it was like I was rolling on a pinwheel and being held back in comparison to when my % was really low. Bottom line is that f you want to roll and maneuver like you did in DS1 you want to wear as light armour as possible, stay under 20% and raise that agility stat to 95-100 minimum. you will be able to come close to decent roll ability without these stats...so many find it is not worth it for them...but since there is no reason to gimp stats inthis iteration, screw it, I want to be as quick and agile as possible.

Sounds hard but not if you find the best armour set in the game for fast roll types early.

Evidence of being able to move quick and using I frames in
fight.

Teknoman

I'm only 5 hours in,

Like that we finally have a new Dark Souls game.. But it doesn't quite feel like the Dark Souls game I loved and played for literally hundreds of hours. I don't understand why they changed some of the formula that was already proved and enjoyed.

The game somewhat looks good - at times, and it's easy on the hardware. But it doesn't look as good as it should in my mind. Some places looks like an intern would make - alone.

Some enemies are cheap and looks like constipated turntables spinning around with clumsy animations. It's ridiculous. The running animation for those early enemies..

Controls are fickle. Not exactly good for "platforming"/pinpoint navigation elements. Very disappointing.

I don't know why I can't level up at bonfires anymore, it's annoying.

Levels have a random feel, not as sophisticated as DS1.

The losing of up to half total health when dying doesn't inspire me. I understand the thought behind it, but it doesn't work and only takes me out of the game, and it makes me somewhat annoyed.

The game still feels good, but so disappointing compared to the first. Oh well, I've only started and there's a long way to go..

Have you played Demon's Souls? The HP and leveling are similar to those mechanics.

Personally I like the fact that you now have a "central area" of sorts to return to, but then again, I started with Demon's.

Got it, time to throw a bit on vit.

didamangi

Spend a couple of hours helping people with
the 3 rune sentinel bosses
while trying to be human and do the same.

Anyone here defeated
those sentinels
solo? Major props to you if you did.

Tried like 7-8 times and I came so close to defeating
the second sentinel
before dying, gave up and summon some allies
to defeat them
and that was that. Onward to oblivion.

Levyne

Banned
Oh wow,
freed the statue guy.

You just straight up trade the boss souls for stuff? Is this the best use of them?

Not worried about it on this playthrough, but I assume there's a trophy for this items similar to the last two games?

Fuck I just realized the Fire sword I got from Forest of the Giants has better faith scaling than Heide's Sword. And I've already used all the titanite shards you can find this early on (and bought those from blacksmith). Guess I'll stick around with mace and Heide's sword until I get more of those.

Oh wow,
freed the statue guy.

You just straight up trade the boss souls for stuff? Is this the best use of them?

Not worried about it on this playthrough, but I assume there's a trophy for this items similar to the last two games?

Boss souls have no other use besides consuming. There are however, multiple items to trade for a single soul in many cases, so you do have to make a choice. The only thing to consider is some achievements are tied to certain items, so it can effect how soon you get them.

Trickster

Lol... I'm at Iron Keep and have just decided to give up on this place and go somewhere else. The enemies in this area is just fucking bullshit, one shotting me at 80% life, get the fuck out with this cheap shit

2AdEPT

Anyone here defeated
those sentinels

the second sentinel
to defeat them

sentinels solo and no shield

2AdEPT

you're on the right path at least
Harvest valley - chloanne rock trader
Earthen Peak - two bosses
?????next level????? - Flame Dear Flame
(dont waste your time of fire resist for the ember...you dont need fire resit for that particualr item.)

UrbanRats

I've only played 2+ hours, so almost nothing, but it's kind of unfortunate to see that the controls issues i had with the BETA, are still present in the final game.
I especially hate the spinning enemies, i don't know if they did it in DkS and DeS too, but now it's way overdone.

Still enjoying the feel of a new, unkown Souls game, tho.

So I've been running a dex build. I started off with a bandit and been using just a shield, dagger and occasional bow...used a faith build with a halberd in DS.

I just fought the first boss,
the giant tree thing and did almost no damage to him. My dagger was only taking away 20 each hit. The only reason I got through him was because of some dude I summoned. Is this normal? I kinda feel like starting over. I feel way too weak. Was I just hitting the boss at the wrong places or is the dagger just a piece of shit weapon?

So I've been running a dex build. I started off with a bandit and been using just a shield, dagger and occasional bow...used a faith build with a halberd in DS.

I just fought the first boss,
the giant tree thing and did almost no damage to him. My dagger was only taking away 20 each hit. The only reason I got through him was because of some dude I summoned. Is this normal? I kinda feel like starting over. I feel way too weak. Was I just hitting the boss at the wrong places or is the dagger just a piece of shit weapon?

No its your Attack power thats the problem ( though daggers are meant to be really weak). Trying use a curved sword or katana and upgrade them.

I should tell you than FROM effed up scaling in this game. Dex scaling is pretty much non existent. Iirc an A scaling in Dex got me like 50 extra AR after investing 40 points. Its a joke and extremely stupid decision made by this team.

Anyway if your looking for power, everyone uses elementals which can then be buffed as well. If you use a lightning elemental and buff it with a lightning buff it gets an even grater increase. Lightning and Dark are considered the strongest elementals.

Played about 4 hours. Didn't get too far, but I've leveled up a bit and collected some items etc. Very Soulsish thus far.

Every time I see an unlit sconce I can't help but think they should all be lit with that pretty lighting, so graphically I'm a bit let down. It really does impact on the atmosphere, which hasn't been as strong as the other games thus far. I do appreciate the graphical options and how well it runs. No complaints about the feel of the game and gameplay changes seem interesting. I guess I'll need more time to decide what's better/worse!

No its your Attack power thats the problem ( though daggers are meant to be really weak). Trying use a curved sword or katana and upgrade them.

I should tell you than FROM effed up scaling in this game. Dex scaling is pretty much non existent. Iirc an A scaling in Dex got me like 50 extra AR after investing 40 points. Its a joke and extremely stupid decision made by this team.

Anyway if your looking for power, everyone uses elementals which can then be buffed as well. If you use a lightning elemental and buff it with a lightning buff it gets an even grater increase. Lightning and Dark are considered the strongest elementals.

Got it. Thank you! Yeah, I wasn't expecting TOO much damage but it was ridiculous how little I was doing. The scaling did seem a bit off for me after just coming from Dark Souls. I guess I'll try another weapon. Thank you.

Blackage

Damn I wish I could play this, sadly I'm a victim of the game not launching on start-up. :(

Hopefully it doesn't take 6 weeks for NamcoBandai to fix the problem, can't even get a refund from steam in the meantime.

dsk1210

Damn I wish I could play this, sadly I'm a victim of the game not launching on start-up. :(

Hopefully it doesn't take 6 weeks for NamcoBandai to fix the problem, can't even get a refund from steam in the meantime.

Try a different tv or monitor if you have one laying about, my friend could not start te game on his plasma, but an old 22" LCD he had in his cupboard worked no problem.

Sober

Anyone here defeated
those sentinels

the second sentinel
to defeat them
Yeah that boss is a bit much for the first set of bosses to solo. I started as Deprived so maybe my game just feels slightly harder since I started with terrible stats and only what I could scrape together.

You can solo them, the first one
you can solo on that platform, best if you can dodge or use a 100% shield as a buffer. You definitely want to drop down to the floor, pop a gem and then fight the other two.

If you've done O&S solo it's about the same thing: don't get greedy and make sure you keep them all on your screen before you make any other moves. Takes a while but I did it.

It took me a few tries but mostly just had to level up ADP so I could get those rolls in and some extra stats for damage.
If you really need souls I would suggest in the life of the game now, you can easily drop a small white summon marker and bring yourself back to humanity that way and get some souls from stuff dying, since at the worst if you die as a phantom you keep the souls but not the unhallowing.

I feel like DS2 is 'harder' than DS1, but this I'm kinda playing blind, no magic, and all that. Do I get the feeling FROM might slightly nerf a few things over the course of the game's life to help accomodate solo players/when the population drops? I never did any co-op/invasions in DS1 but holy crap it feels like in DS2 you want to be doing that as your primary source of souls, especially since you can despawn enemies now.

Man I really want to get to the point I can see what cool weapons/armors I can make with the boss souls. Anything that doesn't scale with faith or strength would be shitty for me though.

So how do I know in which weapon I should invest my precious titanite shards?

If we're talking early on in the game, whichever weapon you like best and/or has something that is affected by you. Like something that scales with a specific stat you have put effort into. Besides that, I guess it's up to you.

I find it funny that in DS1 I was a heavy knight with claymore and in this game I'm a paladin with a fast sword.

Vuze

I assume I finished my very first big boss (
the giant who is ripping off his own arm
was the right route to take I hope?).

Nice.

Thrakier

If we're talking early on in the game, whichever weapon you like best and/or has something that is affected by you. Like something that scales with a specific stat you have put effort into. Besides that, I guess it's up to you.

I find it funny that in DS1 I was a heavy knight with claymore and in this game I'm a paladin with a fast sword.

So a high rating like "A" for a certain stat on a weapon means that when I level up (or wear other gear with +stats) the weapon outputs more damage, does it?

So far, as a warrior, I put all my points in the top three stats. No strength or dex yet. How can one level up fire or lighting stat f.e.?

Levyne

Banned
Alright, about to turn in, but I have one npc question.

In the towers area, there was a cleric/miracle lady near a bonfire. She's gone now. Will I meet her again?

Nerokis

That just makes me sad.

Can't seem to dodge roll consistently like I did in DS but I guess that'll come in time.

Trust me, it will. It was embarrassing how bad at rolling I was for a bit, but you'll get used to it soon enough, and then leveling agility (primarily through Adaptability, probably) will bring back the buttery smooth roll you came to love.

I love this game so much. I was as skeptical as anyone the first few hours in, but I can't get enough of it now. So. Good.

Alright, about to turn in, but I have one npc question.

In the towers area, there was a cleric/miracle lady near a bonfire. She's gone now. Will I meet her again?

You will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom