• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPoole

Wow, PC version already has cheaters. In the Grave of Saints, I summoned this Grey Phantom and pretended that I summoned him to help. I attacked him several times when he was fighting rats, but he took absolutely no damage! He must have thought that we could hit each other, but not damage each other since he never attacked me back and just followed me around to the end.
Yep, I encountered one as well. I hope it doesn't get to the point where I have to use a trainer just for when people are cheating when they invade me.

2AdEPT

Only at Bastille but any good place to get Titanite Shards? I kinda exhausted all the ones from the blacksmith. Large shards as well, though I kinda want to have the small ones just to bump up most of the weapons for fun.

Considering it looks like Chunks seem to be relatively easy to get, or so I discovered...

you'll need to travel preetty far, but up the huntsman;s copse route, not the bastille. must kill
skelly lord
boss.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dragonrider
was a pushover, clearly he is this game's Pinwheel

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Hey this is my first ds game so im likely to ask some stupid questions, the first being all of a sudden my lifegem isnt restoring any health, theres likely a very obvious reason but I have yet to find it and im wondering around with 30% hp and 6 lifegems having used 4 to no avail.

Why is that bad?

It incentives you to use other weapons beside your main.
Which would be okay-ish if the number of upgrade stones / ores available to the player wasn't so terribly lacking up until the end game stretch. Not that I'm a fan of carrying more than two weapons at a time anyways.

Hell, the way durability has been handled could stand to be refined. Something like the Estoc (excellent weapon in DS 1) has a measily 30 durability (ridiculous), and somehow my Mace of 60 durability lasts considerably longer than my 70 durability Halberd because... reasons.

doomquake

I like the durability changes..although the "weapon at risk" flashes so quick that it made me ignore it..
repair powder finally has a use

Tevious

But shouldn't they know whether they invaded your world to help or slay you? Sorry, for the stupid questions, couldn't play the game yet.

They're grey phantoms. I summon them into my world, they don't use a soapstone. They only get a message on their end that they're being summoned.

Nerokis

They're grey phantoms. I summon them into my world. They only get a message on their end that they're being summoned.

Wait, I was summoned as a Grey Phantom earlier, and I figured it was just Dark Souls being its usual bizarre self. The reverse of Man Eater Mildred or whatever. It was an actual person who wrecked me, then? There was a message on the ground that said "incoming tough opponent," within 10 seconds I was summoned, and then I got killed by someone named Garrett.

Seriously, when I first played Dark Souls, I thought Man Eater Mildred was a real person - now I confused a real person for an NPC?

Arkanius

Took a couple of shots of Shaded Woods with SweetFX for those interested.
AW72M83.jpg

bsVPGpu.jpg

It does look a little better than consoles, but still is a ugly area

Shaded Woods is ugly as shit
Worst looking area so far.

Feels something out of Resident Evil 4.

Lusankya

They're grey phantoms. I summon them into my world. They only get a message on their end that they're being summoned.

Oh, now I see (had to look up the grey phantoms). So basically they don't know what the
Rat King covenant
do to them.

Assuming you don't summon a cheater this could allow for some fun things unless they know why they're summoned. But based on some google search results many players are actually clueless about this.

Grassy

Well, 11 hours in(lol!) and I've finally beaten
The Last Giant(first time) and Dragon Rider
. This beginning of this game has been far more frustrating for me than Dark Souls or Demon's Souls was. Partly down to my own stupidity but it feels so much more brutal early on than those games were. It wasn't until I got to SL ~25 and had upgraded my Morning Star to +4(beastly weapon) that things started going more smoothly for me(Warrior class btw).

It makes a huge difference being able to smash the more common enemies in one or two hits. I've also gone into this completely blind with no spoilers and no guides, which obviously makes it a bit more difficult.
Still, I'm really enjoying it now and the feeling of satisfaction from beating the bosses... I love it.

Tevious

Wait, I was summoned as a Grey Phantom earlier, and I figured it was just Dark Souls being its usual bizarre self. The reverse of Man Eater Mildred or whatever. It was an actual person who wrecked me, then? There was a message on the ground that said "incoming tough opponent," within 10 seconds I was summoned, and then I got killed by someone named Garrett.

Seriously, when I first played Dark Souls, I thought Man Eater Mildred was a real person - now I confused a real person for an NPC?

Yep, lol. Part of the
Rat King Covenant's
PVP.

hengyu

I have a 16:10 monitor which causes the issue listed above but running it at 1920x1080 is making flickering lines appear everywhere. Or is that just a separate issue? Might just try hooking my pc back up to my TV, would be neat to compare to the PS3 version by switching imputs, lol.

16:9 monitor, SGSSAA causing flickering lines for me too

Tevious

Assuming you don't summon a cheater this could allow for some fun things unless they know why they're summoned. But based on some google search results many players are actually clueless about this.

There are other ways to sneak attack players who do know what's going on. Plenty of opportunities to set traps for players, especially later in the game in another area for Rat Bros.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys Tower of Flame is freaking me the fuck out. to one side I dropped a drawbridge, if I remember from videos, thats where good old
Ornstein
is correct?

and to the other path, after doing some shit and going down a lift, I think this is where
that horse carridge guy is because Im in a circular arena place...

hold me Gaf, Im scared :(

Tevious

guys Tower of Flame is freaking me the fuck out. to one side I dropped a drawbridge, if I remember from videos, thats where good old
Ornstein
is correct?

and to the other path, after doing some shit and going down a lift, I think this is where
that horse carridge guy is because Im in a circular arena place...

hold me Gaf, Im scared :(

No, the other side is something else. The
chariot boss
is in another area later on.

Rhaknar

No, the other side is something else. The
chariot boss
is in another area later on.

indeed, just got to the end, turns out it was the way to
No Man's Warf
, which arguably is even worse from what you guys say lol.

guess ill go back and deal with
Ornstein
...and by deal with, I mean die repeatatly to :(

The knight at the start of
Lost Bastille
is a beast. Dude completely obliterates me with that spear

Maybe I should just leave him alone lol

Well after 8 hours I finally ran into my first cheater. Was doing my own thing then all of a sudden got pulled into some one else's wold as a blue phantom to help fight an invader. Managed to backstab the enemy twice, only his health didn't drop he just stood there taking no damage from either of us. Then he just killed the other guy and I went back to my world. Hope Namco does something about the cheaters.

Rhaknar

these big fuckers in Tower of Flame seem like the first good place to farm souls early on at 400 a pop, they are easy enough

also question about a item I just noticed I have.
Its called a sublime bone dust and it says it upgrades estus, can I use it or do I need it for something else? I thought only shards upgraded the estus

edit: welp thats 1 death to
Ornstein
>_>

Herla

I wasted waaaaay too much time in the Belfry. So much fun invading AND being invaded there.

I also managed to find my first red phantom player, he charged me with an absurdly large greatsword so I just backstabbed him twice when he tried to swing. The animation with a mace equipped is incredibly satisfying, I think I'm going to upgrade it some more.

Meneses

these big fuckers in Tower of Flame seem like the first good place to farm souls early on at 400 a pop, they are easy enough

Its called a sublime bone dust and it says it upgrades estus, can I use it or do I need it for something else? I thought only shards upgraded the estus

You use it by
burning it at the Bonfire in Majula, it makes the Estus recover more health with each use

eot

Banned
What the hell is up with the recovery animations? I'm using the Mace at the moment, and I can do quick combos with it, but when I stop swinging it takes what feels like a full second before I can do anything again. It's like I whiffed a halberd swing or something, except I didn't. I was fighting
the Gargoyles
and I had trouble getting a single hit in without taking one in return because how long it took for the game to let me dodge or raise my shield. It's a small weapon, come on!

Tevious

Shards
just give you extra flasks in this game, use that item at the Majula bonfire to make your flasks
+1

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Jesus. I was wondering why my character's face looked very different to the pretty lady I thought I created. Ten hours in and I finally remove a piece of armour and realise what's happened. Luckily it's fairly easy to connect the dots, but man it wouldn't be dark souls if there weren't really weird ways of doing things.

My broadsword seems to wear quickly and it's expensive to fix. Tips?

Level up attack skills so that you do more damage per hit. Weapons shouldn't be breaking unless you're taking too many hits to kill things. It's only really a problem when you're starting out. Durability is restored when you rest at bonfires unless the weapon breaks, in which case you need to repair at the blacksmith. So if you switch it out for another weapon before it breaks you won't have to pay anything, just rest at a bonfire.

Shards upgrade number of uses, bone dust upgrades how much health is restored with each use. So yes, use it.

kazebyaka

Banned
Arrived at fire tower, there's a lot of big enemies and i'm playing sorcerer and don't have enough spell arrows to take them all down. How can i increase amount of arrows? Or do i need new spells? Where can i find them?

Rhaknar

Ornstein
is going to suuuuuuuuuuck with all the knights in the way to get there every time I die :(

I know I know, dont die :p lol

edit: why do you take so fucking long to drink your orange juice nooooooooooooo

Hixx

Hey this is my first ds game so im likely to ask some stupid questions, the first being all of a sudden my lifegem isnt restoring any health, theres likely a very obvious reason but I have yet to find it and im wondering around with 30% hp and 6 lifegems having used 4 to no avail.

Are you sure you aren't just at max hollowing?

Dascu

Playing as Cleric. Mace +3 is pretty good, though the short range is a bit annoying sometimes. Is there a good similar weapon with longer range? I'm at L
ost
B
astille
by the way.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What type of Faith builds are people running ? I'm pumping points into attunement and faith and just sort of winging the rest tbh.

Zeliard

Not sure what people are seeing in these early ENB versions of the game. Blacks are terribly crushed and colors are grossly oversaturated.

Garcia

Fucking unbelievable that so many people are still experiencing a crash at start up.

Did this also happen when Dark Souls got released on PC?

zkylon

zkylewd
Ornstein
is going to suuuuuuuuuuck with all the knights in the way to get there every time I die :(

I know I know, dont die :p lol

edit: why do you take so fucking long to drink your orange juice nooooooooooooo
just got past that part, he's not that tough
without his bro :p

i think you could probably skip a couple, it didn't took me many tries but i think i skipped the last guy

Tevious

Just in case anyone was wondering, Dark Souls II is working fine on my Surface Pro tablet (128GB / 4GB RAM). Got it running at 1280x720 on lowest settings and getting 35-45fps and it looks fine. Really awesome having portable Dark Souls (I and II).

Rhaknar

"LOL youre hiding behind a pilar to heal? NAH SON"

he just obliterated the pilar AND me... rage rising

If it's the place I'm thinking of Shaded woods looks pretty bad. It reminds me of N64 games where the draw distance is obscured by insane levels of fog. At least it's more fun than Lost Izalith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom