• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Played 6 hours last night, and yeah this one does seem harder. Had no real problems until I got to the
pursuer
and he just wiped the floor with me. When you couple that with the decreasing health bar, it's not conducive :/

had to beat him with the ballista trick
but now I'm at 50% health and I don't want to use my effigies too much :S

Sober

Only at Bastille but any good place to get Titanite Shards? I kinda exhausted all the ones from the blacksmith. Large shards as well, though I kinda want to have the small ones just to bump up most of the weapons for fun.

Considering it looks like Chunks seem to be relatively easy to get, or so I discovered...

Facism

They are a dime a dozen unfortunately. Sunbros have a bit better probability of competence, but even then you can get burned. That's half the fun of co-op on these games.

No doubt, but there's something about the Greatsword. Instant LOL if it's in PVP because i know it's going to be an easy win.

Unless it's one of the 4 people who know how to use the weapon and change the angle of attack whilst locked on.

I spent the past 90 minutes or more helping people with the Bastille bosses. 9/10, it's the summoner who dies first, rather than the sumonee's. I'll admit I have died once, but that was because the other summoned guy died instantly, and the host ran into a corner to hide. I get the feeling that people that summon others are simply leeching off those who are capable of soloing it themselves. Coasting, if you will. The real achievement is doing it solo. Though, I'm clearly biased, since I've been playing solo all along.

I don't mind doing the job for a host if that's what he needs, whether it's being lazy or apprehension on taking the boss on. Just means i get to fight the boss with a bit of added difficulty and i don't have to worry about him dying and not getting mah sunlight medals :(

Covetus Demon was brilliant, though. Host got eaten and after a minute of punching the fucker he left it to me lol.

Ferr986

Played 6 hours last night, and yeah this one does seem harder. Had no real problems until I got to the
pursuer
and he just wiped the floor with me. When you couple that with the decreasing health bar, it's not conducive :/

Put your summon sign up. With a succeful co-op you regain your humanity.

Nerokis

pursuer

This is the first realization that changed the game for me: if you help other people out online, you'll reverse all your hollowing and become human again. Use the small soapstone to briefly join someone's world, and after you "fulfill your duty", you'll come back home good as new.

Levyne

Banned
ivgs8aHjSxMQa.bmp

Time for bed.

MEsoJD

Banned
Initially I was feeling a little down with this game, but after leveling up, summoning, exploring, killing a few bosses, and most of all dying... I'm absolutely in love with this game!!! This is a fantastic port that looks better than the last in most areas and never dips below 60. Also while the game may seem easy in the beginning, there are enemies that already trump most if all the enemies in past Souls games in terms of difficulty. Lastly, I just want to say that the summoning is breeze this time around. Probably not nearly done yet, but this is gearing to be my favorite Souls game!

Moff

2 short questions:

I thought I saw a video once where you could snipe with spells, aiming witthout the lock on, how does that work?

and why cant I use my white soapstone? its greyed out and nothing happens, I have never seen any signs to summon others either. but I have messages, bloodstains and been invaded.

Trickster

Man this game just gets real dumb real fast. The game was just how I expect a dark soul game to feel. Then I enter the
Iron Keep
area and all of a sudden mobs one shot me. I move to
Shaded Woods
thinking that the other area was probably just a case of me getting into a zone I'm not really supposed to be in yet. Apparently not the case. I'm in the
Shaded Ruins
part of of
Shaded Woods
, and the mobs ( and boss ) pretty much close to one shot me still, even if I'm at completely full hp. Am I just in the completely wrong zones, or is the game difficulty in DS2 just completely fucked? I am lvl 89 and use best defensive armor I've found.

Not sure if anyone else has done this yet, but I found the HP regen effect texture files, and replaced them with blank versions to get rid of the annoying effect. I don't have any stamina regen items so I haven't tested that but I'm pretty sure they share the same textures as the HP regen ring so it should work for both effects. Requires GeDoSaTo of course, with the texture override option.

If anyone is interested I'll be posting a dropbox link to the files below, since it's still syncing on the nexus.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pls8jn4jlw2oj5/nobuff.zip

didamangi

Yeah that boss is a bit much for the first set of bosses to solo. I started as Deprived so maybe my game just feels slightly harder since I started with terrible stats and only what I could scrape together.

Yeah,
the first one
I can beat consistently, it's just at the time I'm low on souls and lifegem, 3 estus can only get you so far as well. After getting so close to kill
the second sentinel
and got beat I just said fuck it and went for the summons for help.

I kinda like how they get you to do co-op too. And thank the sun they went steamworks for this, instant summon and summoning is really, really good and the amount of summon signs and blood stains for me is jaw dropping compared to the first one on PC.

wrongway

Yikes, ended up dorking around with this till 3am. Finished (I think) the forest area though. Had some fun doing some co-op on the
Last Giant
and the P
ursuer
. You can get sooo many souls through co-op, it's crazy. Used a bunch of my winnings to pick up the
Elite Knight
armor set and +1'd it for fun too. Slows me down more than I'd like with my current VIT level, but it looks fantastic, so whatever. :D

gg Dark Souls. Good thing it's the weekend.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
After reading a lot of comments about being disappointed compared to the first game etc I must say that thankfully, so far, I don't feel the same. Absolutely loving it and it's got its hooks in me hard :) Fuck those enemies that
in Lost Bastille jump on you and wreck half your life bar, fuck them hard

Also, whats the best way to farm/get human affigys ? I've bought the ones I can from the merchants but I'm not so keen on enemies disappearing. Fucks up farming.

Elixist

2 short questions:

I thought I saw a video once where you could snipe with spells, aiming witthout the lock on, how does that work?

and why cant I use my white soapstone? its greyed out and nothing happens, I have never seen any signs to summon others either. but I have messages, bloodstains and been invaded.

gaffer gave me a tip earlier, you use binoculars, then your spell button.

Gigarator

the halberd is so op, yes!

Only if you use it correctly. It only connects for full damage if you actually hit the enemy full on with the blade, so you've got to make sure your distance is good. Saying that, if you do get a good hit then the follow up stab combines to kick some major ass.

I do love the halberds, I used them almost exclusively in my PS3 playthroughs.

Vuze

Could somebody tell me why my health bar is limited to this specific point? I upgraded Vitality just a few minutes ago because it seemed like a good thing to do, but now even after I use the bonfire my health stops there. Could really use the extra HP, ha.

http://i.imgur.com/TFWt1Pl.png

wrongway

Could somebody tell me why my health bar is limited to this specific point? I upgraded Vitality just a few minutes ago because it seemed like a good thing to do, but now even after I use the bonfire my health stops there. Could really use the extra HP, ha.

Every time you die, you lose a little of your max health, up to a max penalty of 50% I think. Using a human effigy in your inventory will restore you. I think someone in here said a successful co-op venture will do it too.

Thrakier

So a high rating like "A" for a certain stat on a weapon means that when I level up (or wear other gear with +stats) the weapon outputs more damage, does it?

So far, as a warrior, I put all my points in the top three stats. No strength or dex yet. How can one level up fire or lighting stat f.e.?

Any1? Also how do I know which weapon outputs more dmg. The one with 78 on fire and 78 on physical or the one with 100 on physical?

elfinke

Sunk 20hrs in since yesterday. Been a fantastic experience. Summoning takes no time, getting summoned happens even faster. Had some fantastic SunBro covenant guy lead me through the shitty Earthen Tower, thanks to whomever that person was. Spent so much time coop'ing through Huntsman's Copse, helping dudes, which is a brute of an area.

I feel like the game is really beginning to hit its stride now, really getting into a groove. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Hearing people talk in this is weird, too.

Vuze

Every time you die, you lose a little of your max health, up to a max penalty of 50% I think. Using a human effigy in your inventory will restore you. I think someone in here said a successful co-op venture will do it too.

Oh. So that explains what those are there for, haha. Thank you!

Rich!

So, what's the best route? The first boss in No Man's Wharf or the first boss in Blue Cathedral? I'm getting slaughtered by both.

doomquake

There is an update for PS3 planned that rebalances a bunch of stuff - any idea if this is already included in PC or do the game versions match up? (so this is yet to come)

-regulation ver.1.04 note-

[schedule]
PS3 -April 8th
XBOX-To be announced

[contents]
-Item “Corrosive Urn” – Strength reduced
-Weapon Category “Twinblade”– Durability increased
-Weapon“Moonlight Greatsword – Made so that this weapon cannot be Enchanted,
and slowed down the motion of the weapon
-Armor “Gyrm Warrior Greathelm” – Wieght, Poise, Defense Increased
-Ring“Ring of Thorns”– Damage reduced
-Ring“Old Sun Ring”– Damage reduced
-Sorcery“Soul Spear” and “Crystal Soul Spear” – This spell will now pierce
through enemies and is able to cause damage to more than just one enemy
-Sorcery “Soul Greatsword” – Time spell takes to take effect adjusted
-Sorcery “Homing Soulmass” and “Homing Crystal Soulmass,” Hex “Affinity”
– Now take less stamina and move faster
-Sorcery “Soul Geyser” – Damage reduced
-Recovery spell motions are now slower
-Miracle “Wrath of the Gods”– Time to determine damage reduced
-Pyromancy “Firestorm,” “Fire Tempest,”“Chaos Storm,”“Flame Swathe,”
“Forbidden Sun” – Damage reduced
-Pyromancy “Firestorm,”“Fire Tempest,”“Chaos Storm”– Time to
activation made longer
-NPC “Lucatiel of Mirrah,” “Pilgrim Bellclaire,” “Benhart of Jugo,”
“Manscorpion Tark” – Defense increased
-Enemy “ Rupturing Hollow” – HP reduced
-Enemies “Hollow Mage,” “Amana Priestess” – Reduced ability to chase user
-Enemy “Hammersmith” – Reduced the length of vibrations after striking ground
-Area Boss “The Last Giant” – Reduced damage
-Area Boss “The Lost Sinner” – HP and damage reduced
-Area Boss “Royal Rat Authority” – Damage reduced
-Area Boss “The Duke's Dear Freja” – Damage reduced
-Area Boss “The Lost Sinner” (2nd time through) – sinner in jail who appears
- HP and damage reduced
-Area Boss “Flexile Sentry” (2nd time through) – Nimble Shadow who appears
- HP and damage reduced

kevm3

I'm not really feeling this game all that much. Terrible design decisions. Who thought it was a great idea to give weapons the durability of wet clay?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm not really feeling this game all that much. Terrible design decisions. Who thought it was a great idea to give weapons the durability of wet clay?

I haven't had any issues with durability before. It depends on the weapons afterall.

Gigarator

There is an update for PS3 planned that rebalances a bunch of stuff - any idea if this is already included in PC or do the game versions match up? (so this is yet to come)

It's already out on the consoles. I was surprised to see the PC version wasn't on this version from the start.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
It's already out on the consoles. I was surprised to see the PC version wasn't on this version from the start.

Are we sure that the PC version doesn't have these already? Aren't the PC calibrations V1.05?
I don't know about most of the things listed but concerning the bosses, due to how I found their difficulty I thought that they had already been nerfed.

Banzai

I'm probably not the first with this problem, but the game crashes on startup. How the HELL does a game get shipped like this...

LTWheels

I think the idea behind it is that you are suppose to juggle multiple weapons at once. Hence the 3 weapon slots per hand, low durability, and equipment load raised to 70%.

I have juggle multiple weapons for different situations.

Blacksteel Katana as my main 'weapon'
Mace for heavily armoured foes
Poision Whip and Bleed Whip for hollowed, un-armoured foes
Shield
Bow

Mechazawa

I like how the firebomb's in this game throw whatever direction you roll into, but swords keep their lock on.

Whoever thought that up can eat a dick. Had the second Heide Knight on his deathbed and then my firebomb flew a completely different direction.

Tevious

Wow, PC version already has cheaters. In the Grave of Saints, I summoned this Grey Phantom and pretended that I summoned him to help. I attacked him several times when he was fighting rats, but he took absolutely no damage! He must have thought that we could hit each other, but not damage each other since he never attacked me back and just followed me around to the end.

Trickster

Any point in putting points into dex if I'm already heavily invested in strength?

Would love to use a spear, but I dunno if it would be worth it at this point

Lusankya

Wow, PC version already has cheaters. In the Grave of Saints, I summoned this Grey Phantom and pretended that I summoned him to help. I attacked him several times when he was fighting rats, but he took absolutely no damage! He must have thought that we could hit each other, but not damage each other since he never attacked me back and just followed me around to the end.

How does the "pretended that I summoned him to help" thingie work?

Nugg

Alright GAF, you win, I want to play Dark Souls 2 now. But I never played any Souls game before. Should I play Dark Souls 1 before? Demon Souls? I mean, will I get confused by the story or something if I start with DS2?

Tevious

Any point in putting points into dex if I'm already heavily invested in strength?

Many high strength weapons require a fair amount of DEX.

Alright GAF, you win, I want to play Dark Souls 2 now. But I never played any Souls game before. Should I play Dark Souls 1 before? Demon Souls? I mean, will I get confused by the story or something if I start with DS2?

You probably will barely notice the story, but each game stands on its own. You could start with any of them first, but Dark Souls II probably has the biggest community at the moment for PVP and jolly cooperation. Also, lots of people playing right now that aren't already familiar with everything the game has to offer. That said, the tutorial area for Dark Souls 1 is much better and the world is much more interesting to explore and see how it all connects.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished my first session... Coming from the ps3 version, this is like a night and day difference. The 60 fps, the improved resolution/detail, the almost non existant load times (ssd), ... It's like experiencing the game for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom