• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

I still have an aversion to levelling up from DS1. It doesn't matter anymore with how coop is dealt with in this game right?

People used to think co-op ranges were based on both soul level and soul memory but apparently it's only soul memory.

So level up to your heart's content.

How scarce are Human Effigies? I just ran through 5 of them. I have made some poor decisions in my life.

they tend to be doled out at regular intervals. they are not infinite (unless you farm enemies).

bear in mind that a successful co-op session will restore your humanity. this is especially useful for practicing boss fights before attempting it "for real" in your world. also saves you effigies.

How scarce are Human Effigies? I just ran through 5 of them. I have made some poor decisions in my life.

There are a fair amount, but you don't want to pop them like candy because they are finite. You can farm them from some enemies as rare drops, but of course they despawn after a time and you would have to use a Bonfire Ascetic for more.

Does your summon sign stay in place if you travel to someplace else?

I believe that it cancels any time you use the load screen.

Styles

Why can't I summon people anymore or draw my own sign when I am hollow?

I was helping out this dude with that knight in the forest of giants level, died just when about to kill the boss (the guy killed it when I was in the process of getting back to my world) and now I have a white soapstone sign under the health bar with a line drawn through it and the white soapstone is greyed out when I am hollow. Used an effigy to turn human and I don't see any summon signs anywhere now whereas before this happened I used to see literally dozens every room. Please tell me I don't have to restart the game. :(

Try using the Bone of Order(located in your inventory) to cancel the effect.

Stefan™;109560043 said:
Try using the Bone of Order(located in your inventory) to cancel the effect.

You only get one of those per character, so I would hold off on that. The Bone of Order is meant more for people who want to repent from their sins by disconnecting in too many multiplayer sessions and have been given a network ban.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
they tend to be doled out at regular intervals. they are not infinite (unless you farm enemies).

bear in mind that a successful co-op session will restore your humanity. this is especially useful for practicing boss fights before attempting it "for real" in your world. also saves you effigies.

Not full humanity, only a part of it.

Zeliard

Forget the effigies, just get summoned for co-op. :p

Not only do you regain human form after successfully helping a host, but if use a small white soapstone you get a silky & smooth stone which you can use to get human effigies anyway, or a bunch of other good stuff.

My character has been living up to her class of Explorer, because she has found more than half of the bonfires in almost 9 out of the 12 major areas. I was surprised how straightforward and easy most of them were to find.

Took down the S
keleton
L
ords
and the F
lexile
S
entry
on the first try, so that was unusual for me. I didn't expect a cutscene after examining an object after the second boss, though, so I had to backtrack to get the chest. With that, that's a total of 5 bosses down, but only one of them triggered an achievement, so it will be interesting to see how much harder those bosses will be. There are probably around 5 boss doors I've been avoiding.

Forget the effigies, just get summoned for co-op. :p

Not only do you regain human form after successfully helping a host, but if use a small white soapstone you get a silky & smooth stone which you can use to get human effigies anyway, or a bunch of other good stuff.

but dont you need to have the summon stone? i only have one of those so if i fuck that up then i'm back to square one :(

Sullichin

FUCK

Just died 3 times jumping for the
Dull Ember
. Got frustrated and lost my bloodstain, was doing so well this playthrough too...

FUCK

Just died 3 times jumping for the
Dull Ember
. Got frustrated and lost my bloodstain, was doing so well this playthrough too...

Platforming is still a huge annoyance in the Souls game. It could use some fine tuning on the controls but I don't think From is ever going to do anything about it. I have far more environmental deaths to falls than any other PvE death due to this.

Could someone point me in the direction of a good dex weapon? I'm near 15 hours in with a dual swordsman and I'm still using the Scimitar and a Rapier that I bought from the blacksmith at the beginning of the game. Just about all of the unique weapons I've found so far aren't geared for dex.

Also, what's the deal with weapon upgrades in this game? The blacksmith only sells a handful of titanite shards and so far I've only found large shards as treasure. I haven't upgraded my weapons past +3 because I didn't want to waste my large shards on them in case I ended up finding a better weapon to upgrade shortly after, but hours later I haven't found a suitable replacement or a place to buy/farm materials to upgrade what I've got.

cheezcake

Could someone point me in the direction of a good dex weapon? I'm near 15 hours in with a dual swordsman and I'm still using the Scimitar and a Rapier that I bought from the blacksmith at the beginning of the game. Just about all of the unique weapons I've found so far aren't geared for dex.

Also, what's the deal with weapon upgrades in this game? The blacksmith only sells a handful of titanite shards and so far I've only found large shards as treasure. I haven't upgraded my weapons past +3 because I didn't want to waste my large shards on them in case I ended up finding a better weapon to upgrade shortly after, but hours later I haven't found a suitable replacement or a place to buy/farm materials to upgrade what I've got.

Iron Keep enemies drop a good dex weapon, shards and large shards are plentiful late game and there's a good way to farm chunks as well

smashism

I tend to alt+4 out of habit, if I do this at a bonfire or anything, is there a penalty?

The game seems to save like normal then quit out when I press it.

Atruvius

Caved in and bought the game from GMG, the 25% off code still works. Download will be finished in two hours, I hope it will work for me. :/

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as quick rolling melee archer, with mostly putting skill points into vitality, strength and endurance. Is that kind of build still viable?

I tend to alt+4 out of habit, if I do this at a bonfire or anything, is there a penalty?

The game seems to save like normal then quit out when I press it.

Possibly. If you are in a multiplayer session at the time then it will likely be counted against you, but if you are solo, I don't know. Best if you just use Quit Game from the menu first. I'm sure we'll have reports from folks about this issue before long.

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as quick rolling melee archer, with mostly putting skill points into vitality, strength and endurance. Is that kind of build still viable?

Yes, though you will need ADP (adaptability). It raises your agility and poise. I rarely use shield anymore, all dodge.

Though, I haven't done any PvP, so not sure how viable the build is towards endgame/pvp, but for PvE, it's been great so far.

Man, Sinner's Rise spoilers:
The Lost Sinner was by far the easiest boss in the game thus far for me. Even easier than Dragonrider, what the hell. I hope the other Old Ones are more challenging. I just held up my shield and did the good ole' close range strafing and had my mind wander places while mindlessly stabbing away after her attacks. Zzz.

The rest of the level was fantastic, though, finding another
lockstone
felt great! This game sure makes loot feel rewarding in a unique way because it's so exploration heavy.

Atruvius

Yes, though you will need ADP (adaptability). It raises your agility and poise. I rarely use shield anymore, all dodge.

Though, I haven't done any PvP, so not sure how viable the build is towards endgame/pvp, but for PvE, it's been great so far.

Awesome. I hope there's a weapon with a similar move set to claymore. That was pretty much the only weapon I used in Dark Souls.

Pretty sure I just fought an old friend in a certain chapel lol.

It was nice to see him again, but I hated that fight in the first game so I summoned some help. I don't want to relive those memories even if
his better half wasn't around

People used to think co-op ranges were based on both soul level and soul memory but apparently it's only soul memory.

So level up to your heart's content.

Cool! This is really confusing though

Say for example I beat
The Last Giant
and
Whatever the thing from the pirate ship was
can I still help people in Forest of Fallen Giants. At least before you could make reasonable assumptions about what levels people would be in certain areas. Now I have no idea what to think.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Lost Sinner was by far the easiest boss in the game thus far for me. Even easier than Dragonrider, what the hell. I hope the other Old Ones are more challenging. I just held up my shield and did the good ole' close range strafing and had my mind wander places while mindlessly stabbing away after her attacks. Zzz.

lockstone
felt great! This game sure makes loot feel rewarding in a unique way because it's so exploration heavy.

The Lost Sinner
is not a hard fight but I had an extremely difficult time with it because of the stupid gimmick revolving around the fight.

Facism

trying to coop and all i'm getting are the Greatsword-wielding scrubs who are compensating for their tiny gameplay ability with a massive sword.

git gud you frustrating arseholes.

Salcin

Banned
I am on the verge of giving up on this game. If only someone would be so kind and let me know how to jump-attack with keyboard it would make my life easier...

trying to coop and all i'm getting are the Greatsword-wielding scrubs who are compensating for their tiny gameplay ability with a massive sword.

git gud you frustrating arseholes.

I feel bad because I'm a paladin, but the only time I summoned for help was to fight the
old dragon slayer
and the other two guys did 99% of the work because I needed to defeat him before I could get stuff like lightning spear.

The Lost Sinner
is not a hard fight but I had an extremely difficult time with it because of the stupid gimmick revolving around the fight.

There is a way to thwart the gimmick. Unfortunately, most of the
Old One boss fights are pushover easy.
don't fret, there are still some tough fights ahead.

In Nvidia Inspector, does AF need one of the options or do you just leave it at user defined? Anyone got a Nvidia Inspector link of everything on?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
From reddit:
1c5eJxV.jpg

Facism

I feel bad because I'm a paladin, but the only time I summoned for help was to fight the
old dragon slayer
and the other two guys did 99% of the work because I needed to defeat him before I could get stuff like lightning spear.

that's prudence. I'm annoyed at the guys who just fucking YOLO every boss and get dominated in 2 seconds

that's prudence. I'm annoyed at the guys who just fucking YOLO every boss and get dominated in 2 seconds

They are a dime a dozen unfortunately. Sunbros have a bit better probability of competence, but even then you can get burned. That's half the fun of co-op on these games.

My favorite is when you summon two people who subsequently turn out to be shit, dying instantly, and you have to fight a boss with buffed health, lol.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm only 5 hours in,

Like that we finally have a new Dark Souls game.. But it doesn't quite feel like the Dark Souls game I loved and played for literally hundreds of hours. I don't understand why they changed some of the formula that was already proved and enjoyed.

The game somewhat looks good - at times, and it's easy on the hardware. But it doesn't look as good as it should in my mind. Some places looks like an intern would make - alone.

Some enemies are cheap and looks like constipated turntables spinning around with clumsy animations. It's ridiculous. The running animation for those early enemies..

Controls are fickle. Not exactly good for "platforming"/pinpoint navigation elements. Very disappointing.

I don't know why I can't level up at bonfires anymore, it's annoying.

Levels have a random feel, not as sophisticated as DS1.

The losing of up to half total health when dying doesn't inspire me. I understand the thought behind it, but it doesn't work and only takes me out of the game, and it makes me somewhat annoyed.

The game still feels good, but so disappointing compared to the first. Oh well, I've only started and there's a long way to go..

As far as I am so far, which admittedly isn't terribly far but I've fought at least 4 bosses, and 3/4 have been some bigger than you humanoid knight. So yeah as of right now there hasn't been a "HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE" moment like with the gaping dragon. Even if that fight was easy the first time I saw him come out I shat my pants. With these guys it has been more of a "shit a boss. well let's give it a go"

ylsYAt0.jpg

KarmaCow

lockstone

Yea that [Sinner's Rise]
fight really felt like it was a casualty of the lighting change. I was surprised when I got an old one soul at the end, I thought it was another Pursuers type fight that would show later a mid boss.

As far as I am so far, which admittedly isn't terribly far but I've fought at least 4 bosses, and 3/4 have been some bigger than you humanoid knight. So yeah as of right now there hasn't been a "HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE" moment like with the gaping dragon. Even if that fight was easy the first time I saw him come out I shat my pants. With these guys it has been more of a "shit a boss. well let's give it a go"

Maybe it's my aversion to
bugs and spiders
in general but the Freja fight reminded me of Gaping Dragon.

edit: sorry forgot to spoiler that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom