• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started playing, this game gives you souls like crazy!

8o4eQ.jpg

This is my char so far, where am I supposed to go after killing
Lost Sinner.

Garcia

Shaded woods looks pretty bad. It reminds me of N64 games where the draw distance is obscured by insane levels of fog. At least it's more fun than Lost Izalith.

Yep. There's another location that uses N64 fog effects as poison later on:
Harvest Valley
, and the interior walls and roofs of
Earthen's Peak
will remind you of a PS1 Tomb Raider game.

Dark Souls 2 with ENB.

I've just made a short video of Dark Souls 2 with a quick ENB config to try and get the game close to the pre-release footage.

http://youtu.be/zLAeHgfYsL4

Comparison pics..

As you can see.. this looks fucking amazing!
I can see why some would find this overly saturated, but it does succeed in hiding the game's ugly parts in that video you posted with it being heavy on the effects + the increased darkness. The fiery salamander pit doesn't even stick out like a sore thumb anymore.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
How do you get to the item at the ledge above the river at the beginning of Forest of Giants? I tried jumping from next to the ladder up where the Heide Knight is, but it doesn't seem like I can make the jump even when I'm naked. Am I missing anything obvious?

dreamfall

Alright, holy goodness I feel like an idiot.

Or maybe it's that I played most of Demon's/Dark in Hollow form. But I had no idea you could summon more than one person when human. I figure since I'm not human enough, and my zombified Bandit is sad to look at, if I hit that boss door I'm rounding up a gang if there's any trouble.

I just went through Bastille and suffered alone for a loooong time. Decided to burn an effigy, and it wasn't a massacre but a long battle with others!
THREE SENTINELS? GAH.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck you
Ornstein
!

dat placebo effect, I remember I could just summon someone, I did, dude dies in the first 5 seconds of the fight (when I was retrieving my souls lol) and I went on to kill him. I guess that 10% the summon took before he died made the difference :p

edit: whats up with the dude after
Ornstein
? he just tells me im not needed and to fuck off :/

Go to a bonfire, toggle the popup message (i.e. don't rest at it) and it should prompt you to light the torch. If you switch a weapon/shield in that hand you'll need to go and light the torch again.
When I try to do this, the toggle does not appear to relight my torch. Do I seriously have to wait 5 minutes just to relight my torch because of a mispressed button? I'm pretty scared to go anywhere. Oh well.. I'll just have to pick a road and keep going.

Cerity

Goddamn, finally beat the ruins sentinels after dying probably 30-40 times. Shields help yo'. The most annoying part about this fight is it took me about 30s from the bonfire to get there only to be killed within the first 5 seconds due something silly.

When I try to do this, the toggle does not appear to relight my torch. Do I seriously have to wait 5 minutes just to relight my torch because of a mispressed button? I'm pretty scared to go anywhere. Oh well.. I'll just have to pick a road and keep going.

You'll have to pick up another torch.

I started playing, this game gives you souls like crazy!

This is my char so far, where am I supposed to go after killing
Lost Sinner.

Your lvl 92 and have only killed
TLS
.....0_0

I would recommend to go to Majula and find Licia. You will know where to go after you find her there.

whats up with the dude after
Ornstein
? he just tells me im not needed and to fuck off :/

You need a token of fidelity. Help someone beat a boss, and he'll talk to you.

How do you get to the item at the ledge above the river at the beginning of Forest of Giants? I tried jumping from next to the ladder up where the Heide Knight is, but it doesn't seem like I can make the jump even when I'm naked. Am I missing anything obvious?

Nope. That's how you make the jump. Try adjusting your angle or timing.

Durante

I just posted version 0.2 of GeDoSaTo, and since most of the improvementsare DS2-focused I'm crossposting it here.

The most significant improvements are fixing the Steam overlay issue and a less demanding DoF effect. Also some performance improvements and (mostly) fixed AO.

Edit:
Oh, and a hudless screenshot function. Which is really nice since it allows you to take shots like this:
screenshot_2014-04-26vdka7.jpg

mash440

Neo Member
I just posted version 0.2 of GeDoSaTo, and since most of the improvementsare DS2-focused I'm crossposting it here.

The most significant improvements are fixing the Steam overlay issue and a less demanding DoF effect. Also some performance improvements and (mostly) fixed AO.

Edit:
Oh, and a hudless screenshot function. Which is really nice since it allows you to take shots like this:

You may have left the default resolution as 2560 x 1440.

No matter, less changes for me to make. Thanks Durante :D

zkylon

zkylewd

Edit:
sweet, i didn't want to go thru the hassle of disabling the overlay

i think at one point this is becoming like the second part of dark souls

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As someone who's permanently stuck on S.lvl 1, how is it incredibly easy to level up? Do enemies just give you plenty of more souls the deeper you go into the game?

Helloween

Starter area spoilers:
My friend told me that picking the
petrified something
and giving it to the
crows
could end up with me getting a weapon. That said, I got a
titanite slab
instead. I don't know how rare those are, so my question is:

Is this a good thing or not? Am I lucky or unlucky?

Lucky, those are rare

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dead Man's Warf seems fine, why do people hate it?

Oh wait, fuck you
poison trap chest
>_<

Wow, PC version already has cheaters. In the Grave of Saints, I summoned this Grey Phantom and pretended that I summoned him to help. I attacked him several times when he was fighting rats, but he took absolutely no damage! He must have thought that we could hit each other, but not damage each other since he never attacked me back and just followed me around to the end.

There are several trainers so far that I've seen. We knew this was going to happen. This is why I avoid PVP when possible. At the very least people that already have VAC bans aren't able to get online but those who haven't been can do whatever for now.

Oh wait, fuck you
poison trap chest
>_<

I only reason I hated it was because I didn't notice
the bell
and spent an eternity running in circles trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go.

Wow, PC version already has cheaters. In the Grave of Saints, I summoned this Grey Phantom and pretended that I summoned him to help. I attacked him several times when he was fighting rats, but he took absolutely no damage! He must have thought that we could hit each other, but not damage each other since he never attacked me back and just followed me around to the end.

I've only seen one person so far I suspect was cheating, and they came in to help me luckily. I've actually managed to kill the majority of invaders. Think only one beat me 'cause he caught me as I was coming down a ladder.

zkylon

zkylewd

Oh wait, fuck you
poison trap chest
>_<
bleeding is pretty annoying, so i guess that's it. plus people really hate 5-1 and blighttown, which are both among my favorites :p

but i did most of it with a torch and it was alright tho

doomquake

i found it a bit slow in the beginning. I've got a guy with a mace and it took me about 2 hits to kill stuff - i think it takes a loot more if you have swords at the start. You find a nice amount of souls but you have to be vigilant and a vacuum cleaner. Eventually I upgraded my mace and could take out
giants
faster and manage early bosses. Now it doesn't really feel bad. It seems like torches are really the thing that will give you butt pain.

The belltower is hopping with chumps who are just so ready to chug their flasks. Eat a big bowl of my lightning spears along with your estus, fools.

zkylon

zkylewd
I only reason I hated it was because I didn't notice
the bell
and spent an eternity running in circles trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go.
i just got white phantome'd in the warf and the guy was waiting on the pier but hadn't rang the bell yet so we had to trek back all the way up there. second white phantom didn't seem to know where it was either and i had kind of forgot so we ended up going around in circles for like 5 minutes 'til we found it. second white phantom got lost somewhere and never made it to the boss tho lol

i even beat the dude that invaded the master. that guy owes me a lot lol

elfinke

Cracked red orb invading just before the bridge up to the Undead Purgatory is
cheap
great fun. I spent an hour alternating between helping people take on that boss, and invading chumps with the help of the already difficult enemies in that area.

Durante

By the way, I just did my first real "playing" of DS2 (not focused on tech, with the character type I want to play, and with my sun bros). And I had a blast.

One thing which stuck out to me is just how much better the online aspect of the game is, technically, compared to DS1. It's a massive difference. Summoning basically works instantly, there are tons of messages around, and your own get rated quickly.

iNvid02

One thing which stuck out to me is just how much better the online aspect of the game is, technically, compared to DS1. It's a massive difference. Summoning basically works instantly, there are tons of messages around, and your own get rated quickly.

yeah its been pretty smooth aside from the odd "summoning failed" message - i guess that indicates someone already used the sign. no doubt moving from gfwl and having a dedicated server helped.

Arkanius

Just picked the Black Knight Greatsword at the Iron Keep.
Not sure if I should level up Faith and Intelligence to use it, or just keep up with my Drangleic +2

Rhaknar

well Im enjoying dead mans wharf, those long arm fuckers arent that hard, I only died to
the trap arrow chest
so far. Also I usd a pharros stone and everything lit up, much better now. Was I not supposed to? >_>

Oh shit, dat Greatsword, we be final fantasying now

didamangi

yeah its been pretty smooth aside from the odd "summoning failed" message - i guess that indicates someone already used the sign..

Yup, that's exactly it.

Having only played DS on the PC, having the floor littered with summon signs and blood stains is pretty awesome for me. Some of the blood stains deaths I've seen are hilarious :))

Zeliard

By the way, I just did my first real "playing" of DS2 (not focused on tech, with the character type I want to play, and with my sun bros). And I had a blast.

Co-op in general is substantially better except for the soul memory mechanic, which essentially means that the more you amount souls from helping others kill bosses and such, the more you distance yourself from players over time as far as co-op level ranges.

Risible

Cheaters can't be too prevalent because I easily maxxed out the Belltower covenant in a few hours and I am not amazing at PVP by any means.

Sanic

I'm running a PC with a 660ti and a Phenom II X4 840, should I be able to get something close to a locked 60 fps? That's really my only concern before picking this up.

didamangi

Anyone else screenshots the loading screen to read the tips because they load too fast? :D

there's no patch yet for crash at start up right ?

No patch yet. If you're using AMD I think you can fix it by enabling gpu scaling on CCC, for nvidia what works for me is removing all custom resolution that I've made in nvidia control panel.

Also if you have the cables, try switching your input from HDMI to DVI or vice versa.

I'm running a PC with a 660ti and a Phenom II X4 840, should I be able to get something close to a locked 60 fps? That's really my only concern before picking this up.

Easily.

Core i3 2100, GTX 570 here. Downsampling from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 + 2xSGSSAA and it's 60fps 99% of the time.

Gbraga

Why is it that every time I see a message on a place that is hard to get to (some tricky jumping involved), it says "horse"? I don't get it, but I love it.

Easily (as far as GPU goes, I don't know AMD CPUs so I have no idea of what the intel equivalent would be)

Durante

Co-op in general is substantially better except for the soul memory mechanic, which essentially means that the more you amount souls from helping others kill bosses and such, the more you distance yourself from players over time as far as co-op level ranges.
Yeah, if you play the game the way it wants you to play then I see how this could become an issue.

Me, I play with a fixed co-op partner, and we save around 15-20 minutes at the start of each session that it took us to connect in DS1 :p

zkylon

zkylewd
well it's kind of a necessary evil

it's no fun for anyone if the dude that's helping you one-shots the boss

Hypron

Anyone else screenshots the loading screen to read the tips because they load too fast? :D

No patch yet. If you're using AMD I think you can fix it by enabling gpu scaling on CCC, for nvidia what works for me is removing all custom resolution that I've made.

Also if you have the cables, try switching your input from HDMI to DVI or vice versa.

Easily.

Core i3 2100, GTX 570 here. Downsampling from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 + 2xSGSSAA and it's 60fps 99% of the time.

Yeah, it even runs at a locked 60 with everything maxxed on my HD5850/Phenom II x4 955. It's very well optimised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom