• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valravn

Dark Souls 2 so far feels like a poor man's Dark Souls to me. The boss battles feel uninspired as well as the zones. The boss battles are unoriginal because they are too similar to Dark Souls boss battles.

RK9039

whats up?

06E1DE81D4642BD1E6C7588AFF7A546D066D9F45

Fight me.

Well, I think I've gone through the game in a "wrong" order for a bit.. I've already killed (boss names)
Lost Sinner
and
Duke's Dear Freja
, but now I'm heading to the direction with
Old Dragonslayer
. Way easy to kill everything around here.

Ornstien is optional, you could probably take him out earlier though if you're good at dodging.

Man playing through as a cleric with my mace, lightning spears, dragelic shield, everything is so much easier. Love how they sped up lightning casting animation. Found the sun covenent, going to take a while to get the greater sun spear.

This game. I haven't touched Dark Souls in a long, long time, and boy do I feel it now. Dark Souls 2 is deliciously serving me the facts of life. But so far, I love it. It looks good on high settings, the atmosphere is just as good as DS ( I'm just as drawn to the world of DS2 as I was to the previous game's ), and the gameplay is ace. Only 4 hours in, and can't wait to play more tonight.

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm i just found out there's a spider level and watched enb beat that spider cave thing

as a deep arachnophobic, i'm pretty stressed already about playing that area, i dunno if i'll make it

boss spider is alright but the little ones everywhere and falling off the ceiling and whatever might be too much

i guess i might just summon someone and cower behind them

this is pretty depressing

edit: i wonder if this will be moddable. like probably textures will be easy with durantemod but models are the big issue and i bet that won't be moddable

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
question about Lost Bastille:
theres a cracked wall and I see a bonfire behind it. at the top of the stairs a dude rolled a explosive barrel but it blew up midway... was it supposed to roll all the way down and break the wall? if so I guess I need to reset the level

Not there

Also I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to go there before going to Bastille.

just tell me dude, I dont care about "where to go" spoilers, in fact, I apreciate them

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know where you can find a catalyst in this game ? Doesn't seem to be freely available and I've just rescued
Rosabeth
so think I might go for a Faith/Pyromancy build :)

Damn, I just bypassed

Grave of Saints with the ladders

Should I go back?

There's no reason you need to go back right now. Marked for anyone who'd rather go into the area blind:
Grave of Saints is just a detour through a PvP hotspot and a tricky boss fight. It comes to the same place you're going anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
theres a cracked wall and I see a bonfire behind it. at the top of the stairs a dude rolled a explosive barrel but it blew up midway... was it supposed to roll all the way down and break the wall? if so I guess I need to reset the level
yea, exactly

Zom

Banned
nothing, for me works only win+p and projector mode, but i'm stuck in 1600x900, and i have a full hd tv. So i will wait for a proper patch. Incredible that namco bandai release a game that is bugged for so many people at launch!

I start the game in win+p mode, select my resolution (sadly only windowed) and then "turn off" win+p mode, so I play in 1920x1080 but windowed, thats the best result for me now.

Yes, that's the idea.
You'll want a firebomb to chuck at it when it comes to rest.

just tell me dude, I dont care about "where to go" spoilers, in fact, I apreciate them
Well say so next time so I don't have to beat around the bush lol

You remember that round contraption you saw when you were heading down to Heide's Tower of Flame? Go to the second bonfire in Heide's and exhaust Licia's dialogue if you haven't already and she'll move there, talk to her and pay 2000 souls and she'll open the way to Huntsman's Copse

I have to say, Faith builds with a mace are incredibly strong. Lightning spear so good, free heals good, cure poison good. Healing other people in co op, being a boss.

Pyromancy seems heavily nerfed from dark souls 1. Combustion took like half my stamina. Wonder if it's worth spending cash upgrading the glove. I see the stat scaling jumps at +4, does that mean the next 6 levels aren't worth it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when can I start using these boss souls to make some weapons, starting to have quite a few

Well say so next time so I don't have to beat around the bush lol

You remember that round contraption you saw when you were heading down to Heide's Tower of Flame? Go to the second bonfire in Heide's and exhaust Licia's dialogue if you haven't already and she'll move there, talk to her and pay 2000 souls and she'll open the way to Huntsman's Copse

thanks dude. isnt that the lady with the robin hood hat? I JUST saw her in lost bastille

legacyzero

Banned
I love that the HUD auto-hides now.

FROM, ya did good work. Still sad about all that good lighting going to waste, but I still love the game.

I love that the HUD auto-hides now.

FROM, ya did good work. Still sad about all that good lighting going to waste, but I still love the game.

Yeah, the auto hiding HUD is great.

Anyway, going to duck out of this thread now. Don't want to accidentally spoil myself after managing to avoid spoilers so long before the PC release. Suffice to say, I'm loving what I've played so far.

Co-op in general is substantially better except for the soul memory mechanic, which essentially means that the more you amount souls from helping others kill bosses and such, the more you distance yourself from players over time as far as co-op level ranges.

One of the few changes I dislike. Trying to grind my sunbro medallions and eventually I'm going to run dry on summons. I don't understand the reasoning behind soul memory. My only assumption is for it to stop soul level one pvp, which is pointless since people can cheat anyhow, and wasn't that prevalent of a problem.

Jintor

Yeah the auto-hide HUD is fucking fantastic. It's always there when you need it but never there when you just want to take in the world

Rhaknar

oh fuck off,
3 bosses at the same time?
Fuck you From :(

Ok....I see that every time I die, I loose max HP. I am fighting that first Ogre right at the beginning and he has killed me three times. I know it wont stop till I get to 50%. Should I keep going till I succeed? Also, I know there is a ring very close that helps negate the max HP loss. Is it possible to get this as soon as that town is accessible?

Between the Heide Knight Sword and the Fire Long Sword which one should I upgrade?
Personally I'd go with the Long Sword, the Heide Knight Sword's moveset is too limited and gimmicky for me.
Ok....I see that every time I die, I loose max HP. I am fighting that first Ogre right at the beginning and he has killed me three times. I know it wont stop till I get to 50%. Should I keep going till I succeed? Also, I know there is a ring very close that helps negate the max HP loss. Is it possible to get this as soon as that town is accessible?
Unless you want a ladle, don't bother with those guys

The ring is close to the start but you're going to need to be a bit stronger to be able to fight a few enemies so you can open where it is.

Maybesew

Ornstien is optional, you could probably take him out earlier though if you're good at dodging.

Man playing through as a cleric with my mace, lightning spears, dragelic shield, everything is so much easier. Love how they sped up lightning casting animation. Found the sun covenent, going to take a while to get the greater sun spear.

We are playing almost the exact same characters. I am mixing in some hexes too

Going as melee build what should I upgrade next. So far I've upgraded these:

vgr 16
end 23
str 23
dex 11
adp 10
faith 8

If you're going for dodge, go more into adaptation, 20 is a good place to sit but eventually you'll want 38 for the full agility bonus iirc. Otherwise try to maintain under 70% load with vitality. Eitherway pump points into strength until 40. Endurance gives less value after 20 and so does vigor. I think you can make it through most of the game with only 20 end/20 vigor.

Thrakier

If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

That ring isn't that close, it's in an area past the town though you could potentially just sprint to it and only have to kill one guy, and you'll be able to get back to max hp when you use a human effigy or get summoned using the small white soap stone.

That ring isn't that close, it's in an area past the town though you could potentially just sprint to it and only have to kill one guy, and you'll be able to get back to max hp when you use a human effigy or get summoned using the small white soap stone.

This "one guy"........am I capable of killing him with my base Knight?

Rhaknar

guys, that Bastille dude at the top of the stairs isnt throwing the barrel :(

just chucking firebombs at the wall doesnt work either

edit: nvm got it, rolled it myself before he could hit it lol. guess that works

xBladeM6x

If anyone is interested...

High contrast, lots of bloom and over the top DOF.

My ENB settings.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1B1CA31D1D85130B!12370

have fun.

This is amazing. The only actual problem I seem to get, is sometimes there's a tiny bit of AO flicker when standing in certain spots and having the camera pointed in particular ways. This is easily seen if you go to the Firekeeper's House in Things Betwixed and stand next to the girl without a hood and just look from side to side, you'll see it flickering between AO off and on.

Ghazi

For people who've beat the game, is
Darklurker
really a necessity to fight before going to NG+? I know he's kinda important, and he's all I have left, but I'm really not feeling like running through all the dark portals and I'm out of effegies. Would rather go to NG+ and deal with him then, yea or nay?

For people who've beat the game, is
Darklurker
really a necessity to fight before going to NG+? I know he's kinda important, and he's all I have left, but I'm really not feeling like running through all the dark portals and I'm out of effegies. Would rather go to NG+ and deal with him then, yea or nay?

Optional boss, only an achievement is at stake by missing. NG+ might be a bear though, best to give it a shot before moving on.

WiZzYx

Neo Member
It's me, or the bleeding builds are almost useless this time? My experience: two Notched Whips+10, Crest of Blood ring, 30 DEX, power stance strong hit (strike with both whips at the same time), and nothing happens after 5-6 consecutive and fast hits...NOTHING. Even with insanely bleed values...

(200->Notched Whip+10 + 69->DEX Scaling + 50->Crest of Blood) x 2 whips = 638.

Thanks FS...

tuna_love

Banned
To beat the first ogre just try get behind so he try's to sit on you. Keep repeating it.

wickfut

Banned
This is amazing. The only actual problem I seem to get, is sometimes there's a tiny bit of AO flicker when standing in certain spots and having the camera pointed in particular ways. This is easily seen if you go to the Firekeeper's House in Things Betwixed and stand next to the girl without a hood and just look from side to side, you'll see it flickering between AO off and on.

I've updated the file to turn off eye adaption.

Yeah enb seems a bit touch and go at the moment, it's more or less sweetfx with a DOF.
You lose the godrays too for some strange reason.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The ring in question is technically accessible as soon as you get to the hub town but you'll have to go through some tough enemies (for a base level character) to get to it. If you do go that route, a mace will serve you very well. You should definitely try to kill the first two guys in that area as soon as possible, as you will receive a very useful item.

name of location:
I'm talking about Heide's Tower of Flame
item spoiler:
You'll get sublime bone dust for killing the second ancient knight, which upgrades your flask to heal more per chug
strategy spoiler:
I believe you could technically run past every knight except for one, because to get the ring you have to kill the enemy nearest to it to raise a switch that will lower a drawbridge. You'd have to kill him very fast however as you'll have a pack of giants marching after you. It's probably easier just to kill them with the mace as you encounter them.

Grief.exe

Can I chose not to use the downsample portion of Durante's GeDoSaTo tool?

Can I just put a # sign in front of them and cancel it out? I already have downsample options set up through drivers.

Arkanius

Can I just put a # sign in front of them and cancel it out? I already have downsample options set up through drivers.

Yes. I use the tool just for the SMAA and SSAO. Just start the tool and set your native res inside the game options.

Why would you go for driver downsampling when Durante's render pipeline aware method can achieve higher quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom