• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
the hype phase. everything is not played is better.

look @ that other thread of critique.
As someone who has already beaten the game once, I have nothing wrong with that statement.

Dark Souls 1 is in that unfortunate position where its flaws are almost universally overlooked. Which is why I find it a tad odd that people are not willing to do the same with the sequel.

Honestly I think it has to do with the magic finally wearing off. As good as Dark Souls 2 is, its still only a souls game. And after playing through two prior Souls games, its totally understandable that the rose tinted glasses might be falling away for some.

Almost every issue in the original was fixed in 2, but at the same time a new set of issues was introduced. Honestly I don't think either game is necessary better than the other, they're just different l.

The best thing about dark souls 2 and dark souls is no one can agree which one is better.

Tip for Artorias that made the fight make so much more sense for me:

You can stagger him while he's charging up, even if you don't hit for that hard. I think it took my uchigatana like 2-3 swings to stop him.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Design-wise I feel DkS II is more consistent, but it doesn't have the highs DkS I had. No lows either, so nothing like Izalith. It's impressive that they kept up this consistency, seeing that the game is a lot longer if you want to tackle all bosses.

The best change is how they approached healing. You have to earn those flasks, and time your chugs well.

That being said, the game has its share of flaws too. Currently watching that long critique video and some points are definitely valid, like how Drangleic lacks the cohesion and interconnection of Lordran. The latter is definitely the better game world.

It's not on the same level as DkS I, but it's a damn fine sequel.

That being said, the game has its share of flaws too. Currently watching that long critique video and some points are definitely valid, like how Drangleic lacks the cohesion and interconnection of Lordran. The latter is definitely the better game world.

One of the things I LOVED about DkS was how the world was interconnected. Exploring and opening up shortcuts and other levels. Just loved it.

Shame to see the world design went back to the DS days.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dark Souls 3 should have more Bed of Chaos and Dragon God type of bosses.
KuGsj.gif

W Hudson

Where is the cheapest I can find Dark Souls 2 PC currently?

Nuuvem for $38 or GMG if you have playfire credit.

Glad someone asked this. I saw DS II listed on yuplay.ru for 799 rubles today, which is about $22. I bought Titanfall off the same website (kind of on a whim, never tried them before) and it worked just fine, but was wondering if it would be be the same for DS II or if I should use a more reputable site?

Glad someone asked this. I saw DS II listed on yuplay.ru for 799 rubles today, which is about $22. I bought Titanfall off the same website (kind of on a whim, never tried them before) and it worked just fine, but was wondering if it would be be the same for DS II or if I should use a more reputable site?

Other than the whole, not knowing where your keys are coming from business, the reason it was so easy for Titanfall is because Origin Games aren't region locked, where as we don't have any concrete info regarding DS2. We know it's region locked for Japan but Russia, we still can't say.

My advice would be to get it off nuuvem or gmg or another retailer. Or, of course, just wait for a sale :D

One of the things I LOVED about DkS was how the world was interconnected. Exploring and opening up shortcuts and other levels. Just loved it.

Shame to see the world design went back to the DS days.

I haven't played the game yet, but does this mean that areas in DS2 are not connected and you have to warp between bonfires to get to a new area?

W Hudson

Other than the whole, not knowing where your keys are coming from business, the reason it was so easy for Titanfall is because Origin Games aren't region locked, where as we don't have any concrete info regarding DS2. We know it's region locked for Japan but Russia, we still can't say.

My advice would be to get it off nuuvem or gmg or another retailer. Or, of course, just wait for a sale :D

Thanks for the heads up, don't think I'm going to take any chances so nuuvem it is.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I haven't played the game yet, but does this mean that areas in DS2 are not connected and you have to warp between bonfires to get to a new area?
No. You can never warp to new areas using bonfires. You have to manually discover areas and light a bonfire before you can warp to that location, just like in the first game.

onionfrog

Quick question for people who have played the console version:
I'm not fond of the idea of losing maximum health when dying, is there anything like the cling ring from DeS which mitigates this slightly?

Anyone have an idea what type of security the PC version will have? The rampant save hacking on PS3 is annoying and I can imagine it being far worse on PC if they left it alone. I want to play the PC version just don't want to deal with players having full butterfly gear within a few hours of the games launch.

I've been holding off from buying DS2 from GreenmanGaming because of their 25% off
well its here
DS2 for $37.50

People who wait gets rewarded

Miletius

Well, went ahead and pulled the trigger -- 25 % GMG from Easter sale was enough for me to go, eh, why not!

Get super hyped!

Krakn3Dfx

100+ hours into the PS3 version between a knight and a sorcerer, still super hyped to see this come Friday.

Normally I would have blown through Infamous SS, Trials Fusion, South Park, and 2-3 other games by now. Since DS2 launched on the consoles, I have yet to touch another game, and see no sign of that letting up. Going to roll immediately into the PC version with a 3rd character as soon as it unlocks on Steam.

43147913.jpg

Krakn3Dfx

Heads up, even tho I hadn't gotten a key in email, I checked my Games Library on GMG and my DS2 key was in there. Steam is pre-loading now, time to prepare to die at 1440p.

With the Collector's Edition, is it true that the preorder weapons are given as a separate code? If so, that makes me glad, because I don't want them. (I want to find all the weapons in the game legit, not have 10 dumped on me from the get go.)

Nuuvem keys are available as well on the game page.

Praise the sun!

With the Collector's Edition, is it true that the preorder weapons are given as a separate code? If so, that makes me glad, because I don't want them. (I want to find all the weapons in the game legit, not have 10 dumped on me from the get go.)

90% positive the weapons/armor
are just bought from a vendor mid game

Sullichin

That's how it is with the console version, so I'd imagine it's the same here.

90% positive the weapons/armor
are just bought from a vendor mid game

Hm, really? Are they completely unavailable in the game otherwise? For some reason I had the impression that they're just given to you at the start of the game for the preorder bonus, but if you don't have the bonus you can find them in the game later.

Since I've been avoiding most DS2 talk, I may be completely wrong though.

Well, that sucks. Definitely gonna have to get that new hard drive now, I guess.

EDIT: Another question, will the pre-order weapons be given in a cheap way like in a chest in the starting area, or hidden somewhere as you'd expect a weapon to be in Dark Souls.

I'm about to pre-order the game on Green Man Gaming but I have a quick question. I recall someone saying that the bonuses are no longer available somewhere and I was wondering if that was on GMG?

Sullichin

Well, that sucks. Definitely gonna have to get that new hard drive now, I guess.
It goes in some cache folder where steam is installed. I think if you really wanted to you could alias that folder and put it somewhere else, but probably not worth the trouble.

Hm, really? Are they completely unavailable in the game otherwise? For some reason I had the impression that they're just given to you at the start of the game for the preorder bonus, but if you don't have the bonus you can find them in the game later.

Since I've been avoiding most DS2 talk, I may be completely wrong though.

Some else can confirm from PS3, but I'm fairly confident in what I spoilered.

mileS

I've always been interested in the series. Watching let's play videos of the first Dark Souls (Giant Bomb, Northernlion, etc) I even picked it up on Steam during one of the sales last year. Started to get into it but the GFW shit pissed me off to the point where I just stopped. Scared to lose my save like I did with other GFW games. Scared that one day it won't let me log in randomly like it has done before.

I'm ready to jump in now. Pre-ordered from GMG (crazy good deal) Maybe I'll return to the first after GFW is completely removed and I finish this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom