• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdfing

I did it!!! I FUCKING DID IT! I beat the first Dark Souls!

AND I got the epic last fight recorded!!
http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero/c/4102221

Nice one. I always die at least 10 times to him in every damn playthrough, while O+S and Artorias is a cakewalk by now. I get impatient and try to parry him, and since I basically play "pants man" mode, 1 mistake means death.

And now in DS2 I have to learn to parry all over again. Ugh...

legacyzero

Banned
Does New Game plus start automatically?? Like right after the credits roll?

EDIT: I mean for Dark Souls 1

It seems like it did. I have all my levels and equipment. but it started me at the asylum again.

masterkajo

Does New Game plus start automatically?? Like right after the credits roll?

EDIT: I mean for Dark Souls 1

It seems like it did. I have all my levels and equipment. but it started me at the asylum again.

Yes, after beating the last boss you immediately are in NG+.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I don't know. In both cases you've got a relatively long run to a boss fight that is mostly about instant kills (though the mechanisms are very different). The Dark Souls 2 boss functions more or less like the puzzle bosses from DS and DkS. In fact, I'd say the Dark Souls 2 boss is worse because even with perfect execution you're in for a long fight. Dragon God and BoC can be done in just a few minutes.

Except that particular boss in DS2 can be defeated in a slow but easy way, unlike BoC

BIG SPOILER ALERT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvZ2J12z_k

Teknoman

Im close too! Finally filled the lordvessel, killed the hydra, and now to check out Oolacile.

Still havent finished Demon's Souls, but i'll get to that after Dark 2.

Edit: wasnt there supposed to be an item for voice chat now? Does that mean i should play with a headset all the time / when possible?

The Lamp

I have a pre-order for the PC version but I can't make up my mind whether I want to keep it or not.

It just doesn't sit well with me. I'm caught between wanting to reward the company for making a fun game but not wanting to reward them for their downright slimy, borderline unethical marketing tactics of presenting misleading promotional footage and boasting about a look that doesn't actually exist in the game.

Having said that, I already own the PS3 version. Most of us didn't know about the downgrade more than a couple of days before launch, so I decided to still get the game because I love DS and figured it would be a good sequel. And truthfully the game is quite fun. But the performance on consoles is kind of awful so it would be nice to play it on a better platform, which is why I then pre-ordered it on PC.

But ultimately, even though the PC port looks like it's a good port with graphics options, it doesn't look anything like what the game looked like for months up to release. That is misleading and deceptive, and I don't want to support the kind of unethical marketing behavior they engaged in for months now.

But then again...it would be nice to play the game again with some sharper textures and better framerate. Is anybody else here double-dipping?

Hoping that if I decide to get it that some good mods come out for it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
But then again...it would be nice to play the game again with some sharper textures and better framerate. Is anybody else here double-dipping?

Me, Durante's article really hyped me, plus i sold a lot of Dota 2 items so i managed to buy the game for about $30.

Grief.exe

Having said that, I already own the PS3 version. Most of us didn't know about the downgrade more than a couple of days before launch, so I decided to still get the game because I love DS and figured it would be a good sequel.

A few days before launch? From had a very consistent message beginning in early January but even dating back to December showing off what would be the final visual fidelity of the retail build.

I understand being frustrated with what was shown at TGS but, other than a few inconsistencies, From had been showing accurate footage for a few months.

The Lamp

A few days before launch? From had a very consistent message beginning in early January but even dating back to December showing off what would be the final visual fidelity of the retail build.

I understand being frustrated with what was shown at TGS but, other than a few inconsistencies, From had been showing accurate footage for a few months.

Considering the imagery on the back of the game box itself, and video footage from PlayStation at launch using old beta imagery as well....I don't agree.

Grief.exe

Considering the imagery on the back of the game box itself, and video footage from PlayStation at launch using old beta imagery as well....I don't agree.

I did say a few inconsistencies and you picked up on them. Those seem to be the exceptions to the rule and they have no control what videos sites decide to run.

My question is, why aren't journalists asking any questions? Why does it take a internet push for real questions to actually get asked? How are these sites still running footage from October in late January?

HeelPower

Still in the Undead Burg, so odds are I won't finish in time for DS2, rather tempted to just skip DS1 tbh.

DS1 is deeper and better than DS2 by a pretty wide margin.

Sure skip it if you are feeling pressured to play but just remember that there is huge potential in this game.

Its really not be considered a stepping stone to DS2.Its actually an amazing game all the way through.

I don't know. In both cases you've got a relatively long run to a boss fight that is mostly about instant kills (though the mechanisms are very different). The Dark Souls 2 boss functions more or less like the puzzle bosses from DS and DkS. In fact, I'd say the Dark Souls 2 boss is worse because even with perfect execution you're in for a long fight. Dragon God and BoC can be done in just a few minutes.

I agree.
Ancient Dragon
is quite the garbage in DS2.

Teknoman

grats.

Did you do the expansion beforehand? Its actually really good. I don' thinkt the fights are that much harder in ng+, so you should try doing them before Friday if you have the time.

Fighting Artorius right now...and man is he intimidating. I kinda like these "standard" sized battles a little more than the huge monsters, especially with how the camera operates.

All the constant negativity surrounding DSII has done well to deflate my hype, but that just means that it will have more opportunities to exceed my expectations. Perhaps it's a matter of a selection bias, or just the fact that Dark Souls was as good as it was. I can't recall if there were as many people saying that Dark Souls took that many steps back from Demon's Souls, though.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I can't recall if there were as many people saying the Dark Souls took many steps back from Demon's Souls, though.

Are you kidding me, people out there were criticizing things like no punishment for dying and the bonfire system when DaS first came out.

erawsd

All the constant negativity surrounding DSII has done well to deflate my hype, but that just means that it will have more opportunities to exceed my expectations. Perhaps it's a matter of a selection bias, or just the fact that Dark Souls was as good as it was. I can't recall if there were as many people saying the Dark Souls took many steps back from Demon's Souls, though.

I don't know if there are as many, but Demon Souls def has fans that aren't quiet about how much they prefer it to DS1.

If there is one thing I hate about DS2 being delayed on PC its that every PC thread gets derailed by folks wanting to talk about how much better DS1 is or how pissed they are about the graphics.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Durante said:
attention grabbin

Any word on SLI support for this game, since you've been messing around with it?

I'm thinking about buying a second 570 so that I could enjoy DSII in full glory it deserves.

Cincaid

Regarding GreenManGaming, and when keys will be sent out:

A moderator on their forums answered a user asking about it approximately 8 hours ago, and roughly said "we don't know yet, nothing official has been mentioned, and as soon as we know something we'll let you know right away on our forums."

Teknoman

We're going to get to preload right?

On that note, Manus had me on the edge of my seat...but yeah on my way to the first flame kiln tomorrow.

Durante

Any word on SLI support for this game, since you've been messing around with it?

I'm thinking about buying a second 570 so that I could enjoy DSII in full glory it deserves.
There's no offcial SLI profile in the current driver, and I couldn't try one on my own since I don't use SLI.

The game doesn't do anything incredibly unusual in its renderer though, so I assume a basic AFR profile would work. But that's just an assumption.

undu

Hello,

Due to a supplier issue, we'll no longer be able to provide the steel book with Dark Souls II Black Armour Edition (PC CD) from your order XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX:

You'll still receive the standard version of Dark Souls 2, along with:
- An e-mail code for Black Armour DLC.
- An e-mail code for Early Access Weapons pack.

These codes will be sent out separately via e-mail by the release date.
First the delay, now this, thanks Namco! :/

The_Monk

First the delay, now this, thanks Namco! :/

I cancelled my amazon.uk order yesterday and already got the confirmation e-mail. It was both the long wait but mostly the budgeting for May that got me so I'll be checking this thread every now and then and I'll be sure to grab this game as soon as possible.

---

And again, legacyzero congrats! So happy you managed to finish this game and just in time for Dark Souls II ! :)

Nibel

That whole last boss fight in Dark Souls 1 is one of the most memorable and flawlessly executed fights I've ever played - the entire setting and music (!) set such a exciting tone for the fight; and the whole thing gets only better if you realize who the last boss actually is, what his story is etc.

flowsnake

The week is upon us. Now to wait for Game to e-mail the code so I can start pre-loading which they said started today but not sure.

I'm thinking it won't be today. It's a holiday.

FZ89Sk3.png

Those codes don't send themselves.

Fighting Artorius right now...and man is he intimidating. I kinda like these "standard" sized battles a little more than the huge monsters, especially with how the camera operates.

Artorias is my favorite fight, he's fun once you learn how to read him.

a lot of people say kalameet or atorias is the hardest fight, I think manus is if you don't have a nice stability shield and lots of stam. His berserk combo will kill you easily and if you don't have the stam or nice shield, you're usually staggered after the first two hits before you can back out.

edit: So likely no codes from GMG, they're based in UK right? Hopefully we can get them before wed.

I did it!!! I FUCKING DID IT! I beat the first Dark Souls!

AND I got the epic last fight recorded!!
http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero/c/4102221

Grats! I never beat the first one. I originally began the game on PS3 and got up to the point where you fight the dragon down in the cave of crystals whatever the name is. PS3 died so never finished. Picked up the game on PC but got too frustrated to go through it again lol. Hopefully I finish DS2

Yeah I am currently fighting him. I want to beat the dlc before I start dark souls 2 since I never beaten it before. He's putting the hurt on me :/

I'm thinking it won't be today. It's a holiday.

http://i.imgur.com/FZ89Sk3.png

Those codes don't send themselves.

Ah yeah, forgot about that.

The game is not pre-loading on Steam yet.

This is when we find out there won't actually be any pre-loading at all haha.

Does the UK retail delay impact orders from SimplyCDKeys?

Guessing it won't, they will likely be getting their copies from mainland Europe.

garath

So tempted to pick this one up. I've only put about 10 hours into Dark Souls though. I played the crap out of demon's souls but never got a chance to put the time into Dark souls. I always had other things I was playing. :(

I'm worried about the same thing happening with DS2 given the amount of time I've been giving to Diablo3 lol.

It's so tempting though.....

nbthedude

I did say a few inconsistencies and you picked up on them. Those seem to be the exceptions to the rule and they have no control what videos sites decide to run.

My question is, why aren't journalists asking any questions? Why does it take a internet push for real questions to actually get asked? How are these sites still running footage from October in late January?

I like how nobody ever gets their info from the back of game boxes or that dumb Playstation blog shill videos.

Then all of a sudden everyone was basing their purchase decisions on these things and felt betrayed.

I'll bet those stupid Playstaton shill videos got 4x's as many hits from people using them as "evidence" as they ever did anyone ever looking at them on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom