• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

yatesl

So I bought the cat ring and fell down the well, despite only just getting to
Sinner's Rise
, and apparently skipping
the Wharf

I feel like I'm not supposed to be here yet. Compared to Dark Souls, this feels like it's so much more open. I know in the first you could go to Anor Londo or the Graveyard, but chances are you'd be smacked down pretty fast. Here, I feel like there's at least 3 viable paths at any given time.

I mean, I could have spent those 15000 souls on leveling up from 47, but I had to know. Plus, you level up so goddamn fast in this game. I was level 90 by the time I beat DS1, even after doing the DLC. I feel like I'll hit that in about half an hour.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
When they come back, do they continue to repspawn or are they just there for another X amount of kills? And how do I get these?

Same system. They're back for an X amount of kills. You will find ascetics throughout the game, there's one area in particular where enemies drop them like candy.

So, what's up with
that sleeping knight you find in the forest of the giants?

That's a
heide knight, who drops a pretty good sword. In NG+, they drop pieces of their armor.

They are, until you burn a bonfire ascetic. That brings them back, but at NG+ difficulty. Beware though, because this carries over for every run you make. So in NG+, those enemies will be NG++ difficulty etc.

I really wouldn't recommend this to beginners as a solution to despawning enemies. Some areas become a LOT more difficult with an ascetic, not to mention the bosses.

Sullichin

So I bought the cat ring and fell down the well, despite only just getting to
Sinner's Rise
, and apparently skipping
the Wharf

I feel like I'm not supposed to be here yet. Compared to Dark Souls, this feels like it's so much more open. I know in the first you could go to Anor Londo or the Graveyard, but chances are you'd be smacked down pretty fast. Here, I feel like there's at least 3 viable paths at any given time.

I mean, I could have spent those 15000 souls on leveling up from 47, but I had to know. Plus, you level up so goddamn fast in this game. I was level 90 by the time I beat DS1, even after doing the DLC. I feel like I'll hit that in about half an hour.

It is more open from the start, and you will generally be a higher level at the end of the game than DS1. It doesn't mean you're leveling up too much or anything. Even most of the base classes start at higher levels than the first game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Pyromancer glove and white soapstone get! :D Currently at the minute I'm doing the
Shaded Wood
. Man there's one enemy type in there that's a right bastard.

Loving this game so far, playing it on PC is a joy so far as well. That responsive 60fps. Yum.

It is more open from the start, and you will generally be a higher level at the end of the game than DS1. It doesn't mean you're leveling up too much or anything. Even most of the base classes start at higher levels than the first game.

Ah thank goodness so it's not just me then. I'm at Soul Level 78 and I'm only 20hrs into the game so far so it felt faster in comparison to the other Souls games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
bah the second npc invader didnt drop anything, disapointing!

lol wtf at this boss?
Chariot boss, I go in the room, theres a bunch of skellys chasing me, boss comes charging in and 1 shots me, I had nowhere to hide...whut?

Facism

I thought DEX wasn't that viable? I'm rolling through enemies with Rapiers.

Rapiers are fun. Fast attack and they interupt attacks easy. Enjoy them!

For sure. DS1 was a relative ghost town by comparison on every playform. I remember the PS3 launch feeling so empty and disappointing. Dedicated servers FTFW!

For as much shit as DS2 gets for it's world layout, it's a hell of a lot conducive for coop play than dark souls. Game feels just as alive as Demon's Souls did.

So, what's up with
that sleeping knight you find in the forest of the giants?

He's depressed that his linkin park collection sank into the ocean with Heide :( :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So are Hex's an INT of FAITH type ? I'm not really touching INT but levelling the shit out of FAITH so here's hoping it's another type I can use :p

Oh I just remembered I've got a lightning spear to use, hmm my favourite weapon from Dark Souls. Might need to see what the level requirements for it are.

wickfut

Banned
added a fixed focal length DOF to my ENB which blurs the player slightly and the distant terrain.

looks purdy
16-2-1398539236.jpg

16-1-1398539236.jpg

sixghost

If you use up all of your stamina, you have to wait for the bar to recovery fully to sprint again. You're
missing something with that boss fight.

Is this actually true? I thought it was just a specified amount of time, as when you have a small stamina bar it takes much longer than a full recharge to run again, and when you have a huge stamina bar it takes much less time than a full recharge.

Sullichin

So are Hex's an INT of FAITH type ? I'm not really touching INT but levelling the shit out of FAITH so here's hoping it's another type I can use :p

Hexes scale with the lower of your INT/FTH stat. So for the best damage you want your INT/FTH to be the same.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For the PC version, is there a way to disable the PVP? (without unplugging your internet)

Burn Human Effigies at a bonfire. Stops summoning, invading etc for an hour.

Hexes scale with the lower of your INT/FTH stat. So for the best damage you want your INT/FTH to be the same.

Ah fuck that then, I want my Faith to be as high as possible, maybe for another run sometime :)

Sullichin

Is this actually true? I thought it was just a specified amount of time, as when you have a small stamina bar it takes much longer than a full recharge to run again, and when you have a huge stamina bar it takes much less time than a full recharge.

Pretty sure. Just tested with 24END. If I use all my stamina, I definitely can't sprint again until it's totally full.

The ring in question is technically accessible as soon as you get to the hub town but you'll have to go through some tough enemies (for a base level character) to get to it. If you do go that route, a mace will serve you very well. You should definitely try to kill the first two guys in that area as soon as possible, as you will receive a very useful item.

name of location:
I'm talking about Heide's Tower of Flame
item spoiler:
You'll get sublime bone dust for killing the second ancient knight, which upgrades your flask to heal more per chug
strategy spoiler:
I believe you could technically run past every knight except for one, because to get the ring you have to kill the enemy nearest to it to raise a switch that will lower a drawbridge. You'd have to kill him very fast however as you'll have a pack of giants marching after you. It's probably easier just to kill them with the mace as you encounter them.

So when I get to Majula, where do I find a Mace?

Cheech

Official Statements:
Bandai Namco Games Community Team: "A fix is being worked on and will come in the form of a patch. We're hoping to deploy in the next few days. We'll make an announcement once it is available. Thank you very much for hanging in there and apologies for the delay."

this is for crashing on startup thats great and really quick

Yeah, it's "great", except I have never been able to boot this game yet. Tried tons of times, uninstalled and reinstalled, and nada.

Yeah, PC gaming.

cm osi

Guys what's the use of going through
Belfury Luna
? I know about the
Bell Keeper covenant and gargoyles. So that's it?

you're supposed to go to belfry luna before going to sinner's rise, you get a key that let you skip the gate in the water in the lower part of sinner's rise (with those annoying exploding zombies) and you can turn on 2 fires to have some light while you fight the sinner, so you don't lose the target.

you're supposed to go to belfry luna before going to sinner's rise, you get a key that let you skip the gate in the water (with those annoying exploding zombies) and you can turn on 2 fires to have some light while you fight the sinner, so you don't lose the target.

Ahhh thanks! I was seriously wondering if it is worth the grind.

DukeBobby

Royal Rat Authority
is a colossal pain in the ass. Hardest fight yet, for me.

EDIT: Wow, just did it without being hit once.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
friend just told me how to use the boss souls for weapons, I would NEVER figure it out on my own, I assumed we would make them like in DS1. Now to rememeber how to go back to the dude I need (ive been at him too and had no idea what it was) >_<

Royal Rat Authority
is a colossal pain in the ass. Hardest fight yet, for me.

In all my playthroughs, this was always the most difficult fight. I know a lot of people have no problems with it, but I just suck against this boss. Tried melee, tried magic, I hate it.

So guys, how long does it take before I start getting/finding some awesome light/medium armor?

I've cleared the whole Bastille part. Found the Archdrake's Robes which are pretty cool though.

Just beat the
gargoyles
Helped like 3 other beat them before finally getting some help due to invaders constantly in that area. So glad that bit is over!

DukeBobby

In all my playthroughs, this was always the most difficult fight. I know a lot of people have no problems with it, but I just suck against this boss. Tried melee, tried magic, I hate it.

I kept getting poisoned by the rats, so he just killed me instantly when he jumped down. He reminds of the Capra Demon. If you can survive the first 10-15 seconds, he's quite easy to kill.

Am I the only one liking this game a LOT more than Dark Souls 1? And I loved that game a lot. I'm just not seeing the flaws I saw in DS1. 20 hours in and every area still feels crazily well-designed with interesting stuff happening around every corner. The only thing that's bothering me is that the bosses are a bit on the easy side, but that might just me my Souls series experience being a factor.

I am playing in the champion covenant as well, so yeah...

In forest of giants, what's up with the item on the ledge of the wooden scaffolding above the entrance to the cave leading to the fire sword? How do I reach it?

Tried that fight once and said nope. Hate that kind of boss design
Yeah that was pretty lame, I just beat them and I raged quite a bit. What's up with all the gray phantoms in that area anyway, who are they?

you're supposed to go to belfry luna before going to sinner's rise, you get a key that let you skip the gate in the water in the lower part of sinner's rise (with those annoying exploding zombies) and you can turn on 2 fires to have some light while you fight the sinner, so you don't lose the target.
Ohh, I was wondering what the
Bastille Key
did, I already beat the
Old Sinner
(by the way,
is she connected in any way to any Dark Souls character? Could she be the Witch of Izalith?
), but knowing this will save me some wasted time in the Bastille locking for a locked door:)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
That feeling when you check your played time and see a speedrunner have similar progress in 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom