• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

z1ggy

They nerfed that fight in a recent patch.

It's a horrendous boss. Possibly even worse than Bed of Chaos.

I didn´t find Bed of Chaos particulary hard to beat (actually i found it pretty easy). Maneater in Demons Souls in the other hand...

Sanctuary

They nerfed that fight in a recent patch.

It's a horrendous boss. Possibly even worse than Bed of Chaos.

What did they nerf? It's "easy" if you start with
a Halberd, or any 360 type weapon, or Flame Swathe.
Other than that, it kind of sucked ass. I wouldn't say it was as bad as BoC though.

Also, why does 60fps feel so different with this than the first game did with DSfix@60? Maybe my brain was just rewired to adjust to the random fps DS2 on PS3 that I've played more recently, but I did play the first game with DSfix for about a month straight prior to the console release of this game, and it just feels even more fluid. Might be just the new engine and animations messing with me?

Zeliard

Nah, at least
RRA
is still a boss fight in its essence, BoC is a fucking horrible gimmick battle.

Bed of Chaos at least looked cool visually. This other one is ugly in every conceivable way. Awful aesthetic and ill-conceived as an actual fight.

What did they nerf? It's "easy" if you start with
a Halberd, or any 360 type weapon, or Flame Swathe.
Other than that, it kind of sucked ass.

I don't know, I didn't play the game past the nerf. But if you were using something like a katana,
the toxic dogs were a nightmare to land a hit with their garbage hitboxes (much like the crystal lizards this time around), and you'd be toxic in short order right off the bat.

Durante

Am I the only one liking this game a LOT more than Dark Souls 1? And I loved that game a lot. I'm just not seeing the flaws I saw in DS1. 20 hours in and every area still feels crazily well-designed with interesting stuff happening around every corner. The only thing that's bothering me is that the bosses are a bit on the easy side, but that might just me my Souls series experience being a factor.

I am playing in the champion covenant as well, so yeah...
I haven't played enough to make a final judgement (and I'd wait a few months with that anyway), but yeah, so far I do think the improvements outweigh the drawbacks.

friend just told me how to use the boss souls for weapons, I would NEVER figure it out on my own, I assumed we would make them like in DS1. Now to rememeber how to go back to the dude I need (ive been at him too and had no idea what it was) >_<

Wait now I'm confused can you give me a hint? I thought it'd be like DS1.

Grief.exe

Spent way too much time trying to get this

ikCJClJs3oYMQ.jpg

xBladeM6x

Awesome, thanks a bunch. Luckily I'm not using GeDoSaTo so it should work fine.

How do I get this ENB?

DoF is a little bit too much, but I love the colors and lighting

Care to share your settings? I need to get into this ENB business it seems

Post ini plz

1: Download this: https://mega.co.nz/#!7soHmbYK!Q0-Ogg1uxqjq50fMxwpFC51VQhsPCS1o5INq6-kVoMc

2: Extract it to the Steam\steamapps\common\DarkSoulsII\Game (Where the actual DarkSoulsII.exe is.

3: Done, just load the game and you're ready to go. Just be aware that this is incompatible with Durantes GSTDO and will make you crash on startup.

Note: Don't be alarmed by the 5-10 second white screen on startup, it just does that and if you alt+tab, but it won't crash and it's not freezing or anything.

Also, here's some more pictures.

hrCdtts.jpg

RllmHCm.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait now I'm confused can you give me a hint? I thought it'd be like DS1.

you trade the boss souls for the weapons (and some souls, not a lot tho, was 1500 each) at special NPCs, this first one only did a few, theres at least 1 more later on. this one also had a spell to trade for a boss soul

Durante

Do people actually play with those ridiculous DoF settings?

I thought this shot I took to illustrate the Bokeh DoF was already way too much for playing the game:
alleffects_comp1_onttd6e.jpg

d00d3n

Lots of detail on the armor seems to be lost.

BTW Anyone else getting horrible stutter using SLi? Nvidia has a profile but its performance is kinda shit in some areas.

I am getting this and it is directly correlated with the new sli profile from nvidia. I removed the sli compatibility bit and the performance in those areas
only tested heides and shaded ruins
was restored. I didn't test without sgssaa though ... the profile from nvidia might work without sgssaa.

Arkanius

Guys in new game plus, how does Soul Memory and Soul Level work? People keep saying that PvP and Coop is great in New Game plus due NG+ but I dont understand, are the restrictions removed?

This is definitely a great game, but so far not that amazingly special experience Dark Souls was.

Dare I say it feels a bit too easy once you get some levels under your belt, too...

d00d3n

Guys in new game plus, how does Soul Memory and Soul Level work? People keep saying that PvP and Coop is great in New Game plus due NG+ but I dont understand, are the restrictions removed?

Multiplayer matching is only based on soul level, so if you stay at the same level you will be able to continue to play in that range.

LtOrange

Is the mace that you start with as a Cleric a good weapon to upgrade? I have been enjoying the weapon so far and have no real complaints. I am new to the series and want to make sure I am not screwing myself by upgrading. I am leaning towards creating a strength/faith build if that matters.

Parsnip

Maybe it's just me but so far all the ENB shots have looked kind of crappy. Blown out and ridiculous DoF.

But then 99% of Skyrim ENB configs are like that as well. Can't argue about taste I guess.

edit: Also, does the game have a divine weapon upgrade path? Haven't seen any yet, so just wondering.

Tecl0n

Good lord
Lucatiel's set
is the evolution of the hunter headset i've been using.
She probably comes back as a hollow or something and then i can get it, i doubt she'd drop it if i just aggro her.

Arkanius

Sorry for the bombardment of questions: But Shrine of Winter opened, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have. Is Shrine of Winter open for everyone in the PC or what? (Everything I read says it requires 4 Grand Souls)

aeolist

Banned
Am I the only one liking this game a LOT more than Dark Souls 1? And I loved that game a lot. I'm just not seeing the flaws I saw in DS1. 20 hours in and every area still feels crazily well-designed with interesting stuff happening around every corner. The only thing that's bothering me is that the bosses are a bit on the easy side, but that might just me my Souls series experience being a factor.

I am playing in the champion covenant as well, so yeah...

i haven't played a ton yet but so far it doesn't feel like dark souls did in that enemies have to follow the same rules as you. they always seem to glide across the ground way too quickly to get in range and their attack animations track you a lot more than DS1 did.

i don't really like it, but then i didn't like DS1 at first either so maybe it'll just take some getting used to.

wickfut

Banned
Maybe it's just me but so far all the ENB shots have looked kind of crappy. Blown out and ridiculous DoF.

But then 99% of Skyrim ENB configs are like that as well. Can't argue about taste I guess.

edit: Also, does the game have a divine weapon upgrade path? Haven't seen any yet, so just wondering.

The problem when doing an ENB for DS2 is that each level in the game has a completely different lighting hue.

What looks great in one area will look terrible in another. We need Boris to do a decent ENB with each level taken into consideration, similar to the way Skyrim worked with its weather system ENB,

Is the mace that you start with as a Cleric a good weapon to upgrade? I have been enjoying the weapon so far and have no real complaints. I am new to the series and want to make sure I am not screwing myself by upgrading. I am leaning towards creating a strength/faith build if that matters.

Everybody says it's definitely a good weapon to carry with you throughout the game, especially once you can give it stuff like lightning damage later down the line.

Speaking of boss souls, looks like from what I read most boss souls make weapons that aren't particularly good for a strength/faith build. I'm considering eventually consuming these if it does mean that as I'm probably going to keep a str/faith build even on new game +. Won't consume them now obviously, just something to consider once I start making boss weapons.

Bed of Chaos at least looked cool visually. This other one is ugly in every conceivable way. Awful aesthetic and ill-conceived as an actual fight.

I'd argue that the extremely awesome looking environment in which you fight
Royal Rat Authority
trumps Bed of Chaos' design as far as overall aesthetics go.

And yeah, Bed of Chaos will eternally be the lamest fight in the Souls series. The
Prowling Magus and Congregation
come close on the bad list, though.

Zeliard

Sorry for the bombardment of questions: But Shrine of Winter opened, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have. Is Shrine of Winter open for everyone in the PC or what? (Everything I read says it requires 4 Grand Souls)

Or a million+ in your soul memory bank.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

If your soul memory is high enough, it will open. This happened to me on the PS3 as well even though I only had 3 out of 4 great souls.

Blinck

I've been avoiding this thread due to fear of spoilers.

I'm just gonna say that GETTING A BOW in a Souls game is the best goddamn thing you can do to better tackle the challenges of the game.
I know it sounds obvious but many people actually don't use bows because they are "meele or magic only" or something like that.
But my god, it's just so useful * . *

I LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I FUCKING LOVE IT.

holy smokes just helped with an intense battle vs. the penetrator or whatever his name is. just was trying to get my humanity back. the problem to start is i had forgotten i put the summon sign down and i was just cleaning up some of the guys nearby to get enough souls so i could buy more humanity. so then i got summoned and only had a few great soul arrows and a bit more regular soul arrows left but said whatever. the battle starts and its going ok. got beat up a bit but we had the penetrator down to low health, but at this point i'm out of arrows. then he did this move on the guy who summoned me where he stabbed him and lifted him up. the guy who summoned me had like a SLIVER of healthy left and i just started going to down with slashes on the penetrator and killed him just before he started to wind up again to the kill the guy who summoned me. it was intense!

now my humanity is back and i'm going to fuck up those losers at the bastille boss battle. can you actually summon more than 1 person to help?

Zeliard

And yeah, Bed of Chaos will eternally be the lamest fight in the Souls series. The
Prowling Magus and Congregation
come close on the bad list, though.

That
set of bosses was basically the new Pinwheel. I didn't mind having another notoriously simple boss encounter added to the mix. :p Pinwheel was always fun to mock.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So when I get to Majula, where do I find a Mace?

Oh yeah, good question. Even though you could go straight to
Heide's
, if you want to get the mace you'll need to go partway through
Forest of the Giants
until you find a
merchant
at the second bonfire who will sell you
Lenigrast's key
. Then,
go back to Majula, open the blacksmith's door with the key and he'll sell the mace for around 1500.

Before you do all this you could try it without the mace and see if it feels doable, if you're up for a (bigger) challenge.

Yes it is. One of the strongest weapons for PVE, pretty much throughout the entire game. If you want to really break it, get two and powerstance them

xBladeM6x

I thought this shot I took to illustrate the Bokeh DoF was already way too much for playing the game:

Typically I don't, I just like the way it make screenshots look. But I really love the color saturation / contrast. Makes flames look amazing. I just wish the ENB was compatible with your GDST.

I've been avoiding this thread due to fear of spoilers.

I'm just gonna say that GETTING A BOW in a Souls game is the best goddamn thing you can do to better tackle the challenges of the game.
I know it sounds obvious but many people actually don't use bows because they are "meele or magic only" or something like that.
But my god, it's just so useful * . *

I LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I FUCKING LOVE IT.

Poison arrows are almost game breaking. Definitely a great side weapon.

OK gaf just beat the
sinner
and have some souls to spend. Where should I put them (sword and board melee)

Current:
vgr - 20
end - 20
vit - 7
atn - 4
str - 40
dex - 11
adp -20
int - 3
fth - 8

Despera

Banned
Guys, serious question...

Did they make the game easier on PC? Because so far only the
Executioner's Chariot
boss fight was the only I had to go at twice... Out of 8 or so bosses.

I guess it's time to go face the
Lost Sinner
for some actual challenge!

AHA-Lambda

you're supposed to go to belfry luna before going to sinner's rise, you get a key that let you skip the gate in the water in the lower part of sinner's rise (with those annoying exploding zombies) and you can turn on 2 fires to have some light while you fight the sinner, so you don't lose the target.

Is that area recommended then? I really hate the
gargoyles
in the souls games.

Played through the entire game again now, I don't see any need for any of these colour/DoF/contrast modifications. The game looks great as it is.
I find it a little strange how people absolutely HAVE to mod these things in PC games just because they can.

Parsnip

The problem when doing an ENB for DS2 is that each level in the game has a completely different lighting hue.

What looks great in one area will look terrible in another. We need Boris to do a decent ENB with each level taken into consideration, similar to the way Skyrim worked with its weather system ENB,
It's rather surprising that he did one at all, considering what he thinks about the games themselves. I'd be super shocked if he actually worked on it more.

In first person games I crank it up, but in a third person game it's much harder because the effect is constant.

I'll put it on a high and walk around for a bit to look at the pretty, but playing it needs to be fairly low. I think the way it looks in your shot is pretty much the sweet spot for me.

Trickster

So....The boss
smelter demon
is a bugged piece of shit. One of his attack knocks me into the wall and makes me unable to move for the rest of the fight, it's like my character get's stuck in the geometry or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom