• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

I now regret upgrading a longsword to +10. I didn't really like the new moveset vs. the Dark Souls 1 one, and of course, maces in this game are just infinitely a million times better in this game that it feels like using a slash/thrust weapon is just making it hard on yourself.

LiK

I now regret upgrading a longsword to +10. I didn't really like the new moveset vs. the Dark Souls 1 one, and of course, maces in this game are just infinitely a million times better in this game that it feels like using a slash/thrust weapon is just making it hard on yourself.

Bastard Sword for life!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
For sure. DS1 was a relative ghost town by comparison on every playform. I remember the PS3 launch feeling so empty and disappointing. Dedicated servers FTFW!

I take back everything I said about the first Dark Souls now that I went back to it, summon signs everywhere. Got summoned 6 times in one sitting. Record!

Levyne

Banned
Just had to clear out an area in the Valley wit
h 4 guys dual wielding sickles. Probably the hardest fight in the game so far, haha.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
18 hours I have been playing always scare when opening
fucking chests
, always wondering when
the mimic is going to attack
, trying to look for distinctive patrons.

After all that time, the one
chest i don't double check, and there you are, into the jaws of that fucking thing
, I was very lucky to survive that encounter.

I hate them so much, that I love them.

PS: General spoilers, nothing new for anybody veteran to the series.

I fucking jumped when that happened to me and then laughed for a good 5 mins. Rotten bloody thing.

I feel like I have to be doing something wrong or I must be terrible.
Pursuer
just decimates me. I'm fighting at half health at this point but I don't want to burn an effigy until I find a way to consistently do damage. I've seen people mention that this is easier than the first Dark Souls, but I'm finding this fight way harder than anything I faced early game in the first game.

Arulan

No but I use inspector for hbao+, I tried setting it to disable but the the line was still there, weird :(

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if you're using SGSSAA you probably want to use the "Antialiasing fix" compatibility bit in Nvidia Inspector. It was intended for TF2 but it works well with SGSSAA for eliminating artifacts; the lines for example. I haven't tested it extensively yet but it seemed to work fine.

Yondy604

Banned
I don't know if I enjoy this as much as dark souls and demon souls. Maybe I am bored of the formula....3 hours into the game, and it just seems to be the same old.

Echoplx

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if you're using SGSSAA you probably want to use the "Antialiasing fix" compatibility bit in Nvidia Inspector. It was intended for TF2 but it works well with SGSSAA for eliminating artifacts; the lines for example. I haven't tested it extensively yet but it seemed to work fine.

Yeah, the AA fix got rid of the lines for me.

Calibus

Ok so I tried both the preset ENB Wrapper and Injector settings (the ones you get from the ENB website) and I can't see as I see a big difference with Wrapper, but Injector looks noticeably more slick. Even so, I wasn't really blown away by either. Waiting on some more impressive player made ones.

Also, I am not sure if this is something to do with ENB, but there appears to be a weird "lightning" effect when switching between areas of different lighting levels.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, think I just finished suicide running for items in the Valley, I had some poison clearing items but ran out, haha.

Wait WHAT?? I don't need the key for
McDuff's room area bonfire etc? I can blow up the wall?

I finished the game twice and never knew that, man I feel dumb

Ropaire

Banned
I feel like I have to be doing something wrong or I must be terrible.
Pursuer
just decimates me. I'm fighting at half health at this point but I don't want to burn an effigy until I find a way to consistently do damage. I've seen people mention that this is easier than the first Dark Souls, but I'm finding this fight way harder than anything I faced early game in the first game.

The reason I'm finding II so much easier than the first, is that grouping up and subsequently becoming human seems so much better implemented. If you're having trouble with a boss, just lay down a summon sign and fight it in someone else's game. Once successful, you'll come back with your health at maximum, all flasks restored, all non-broken weapons repaired, and able to summon two people to help you defeat the boss for yourself - no effigy necessary. The only time I've been halted since I've realized this system of exploitation is in coming to a boss in a location that disables summoning.

So i found a nice little farm spot early in the game just after you get the small white soapstone. I would just drop it by the bonfire earlier in the forrest of giants and kill
The knight who drops the lightning sword
with whoever wanted to kill him. I'd point and wait for them to attack him and if they didn't i'd finish my run with them and try again. Got a bunch of people their soapstones and
fire swords
too! Not a particularly individually productive day, but i have a mace +3 now and a a full elite knight set :)

justjim89

Fucking shit fuck that Pursuer fight. Just used all 10 human effigies I had (bought all the merchant in the forest had) summoned two helpers each time, tried to stay out of the action and shoot arrows, and still failed every single time. Got pretty close a few times, but the guy can kill me in two hits when I have full health. My sword doesn't do much more damage than an arrow shot. No way I can beat him alone.

Anywhere else I can buy human effigies or farm them somehow? I'm gonna need a lot.

I'm level 30, with 12 END, 10 VIT, 13 STR, and 20 DEX. Am I fighting him too soon? It feels like the next logical step, but this just feels fucking unfair.

Jintor

tip about the pursuer: when he does his charge sword thrust attack, you can just strafe to his right and he'll miss you every time. You don't even need to roll

So, I've played about 6 hours, and haven't even fought the first boss yet.

...yeah, you could say I'm taking it slow. To be fair, I was having trouble at the start because I chose Deprived, and having to deal with no weapons and then crappy weapons at the start made things extra difficult. And since then I've been really slow, and methodically exploring everything I see, and exhausting all NPC dialogue. Also spent a good amount of time practicing parries and backstabs (since they feel very different from DS1).

That's the way I like it though. Looking forward to savoring the game for as long as I can.

The reason I'm finding II so much easier than the first, is that grouping up and subsequently becoming human seems so much better implemented. If you're having trouble with a boss, just lay down a summon sign and fight it in someone else's game. Once successful, you'll come back with your health at maximum, all flasks restored, all non-broken weapons repaired, and able to summon two people to help you defeat the boss for yourself - no effigy necessary. The only time I've been halted since I've realized this system of exploitation is in coming to a boss in a location that disables summoning.

My plan is to solo my way through the game, if I can. But I do plan on helping others, so the improved online is very welcome.

Panda Rin

EyXkr7A.png

I haven't done much of anything else. I'm sure some of you are even crazier than I am.

HoosTrax

Why did it have to be spiders...

Is there a faster way to get to the Brightstone boss than
going from the bonfire in front of the sinkhole in the sand, running through some tunnels in the buildings, across the bridge where the red phantom ambushed you, through the chapel with the tons of the spiders, down the webs with even more fucking spiders, and finally to the fog door?

I feel like I must have missed something, like a shortcut.

Dresden

Bullshit, does a Claymore actually have a 1H thrust (from stationary?). I was guessing since the Longsword of all things doesn't have a 1H thrust from stationary, why would a larger sword have one?

It does. For the smaller straight blades, the Sun Sword has a 1h R2 thrust, and the Heide Knight Sword's 1h R2 chains into one on the second blow.

Hypron

Why did it have to be spiders...

Is there a faster way to get to the Brightstone boss than
going from the bonfire in front of the sinkhole in the sand, running through some tunnels in the buildings, across the bridge where the red phantom ambushed you, through the chapel with the tons of the spiders, down the webs with even more fucking spiders, and finally to the fog door?

I feel like I must have missed something, like a shortcut.

It's easier to start from the bonfire at the beginning of the area, take the first rope, and then go through the door on the left and follow the path until you reach the boss zone.

justjim89

tip about the pursuer: when he does his charge sword thrust attack, you can just strafe to his right and he'll miss you every time. You don't even need to roll

Thanks, but fat lot of good that does me when I'd still have to hit him probably about 150 times whilst not getting hit more than once by him.

Ugh. Easily the most frustrated I've been with a boss in these games.

Thanks, but fat lot of good that does me when I'd still have to hit him probably about 150 times whilst not getting hit more than once by him.

You don't HAVE to fight him right now. You can move on ya know and come back.

Jintor

I was only doing 70 damage per hit to him but I beat him only dying twice. You can do it! Just don't panic!

Zacxx201

Banned
All of the NPCs in my friend's game just vanished/died.
Has this happened to anyone else? He's pretty irate since he's been playing non-stop since it launched the other day.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Go do something else. Level up, upgrade your weapon, find a better weapon, whatever. I can pretty much handle Pursuer without getting hit at this point, but if I had to hit him 100 times without error I'd give up too.

Also, he seems scary, but his move set is very easy to dodge once you are familiar with distances and timing. I don't know what class you are, but make sure you are adequately mobile for the fight.

Upon doing some research I just realised that the second invasion I did was against a cheater :(

Infinite HP and stamina, I just thought it was lag. If I had realised sooner I would have been able to knock them off an edge because I was in Heide's Tower. Thankfully since then I haven't seen any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom