• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal

Banned
tip about the
pursuer
: when he does his charge sword thrust attack, you can just strafe to his right and he'll miss you every time. You don't even need to roll

You can also roll through the attack on the boss left side and aim yourself directly forward.

_DrMario_

I feel like such a noob. I've been playing for an hour and I haven't gotten past the 3 big dudes. Just getting to the is a hard time. I'm talking about the first 3 armored giants and then the room with 3 at the same time.

When I first started this is where I went. Turns out it's a much better idea to go to the Forest first. The road to the Forest is near the Majula bonfire.

Got a huge graphical glitch in this area:
jb18oubyUqzGGa.png

jIZhpZKwEQxWx.png

This is awesome

Zemm

What am I missing then? I could have got through no man's wharf a lot faster with even two flasks.

Edit: just looked it up

HeelPower

jesus lost 40 k + souls at the earthen peak and all due to my own error FUCK.

Anyway, upon my second playthrough here on PC.I think I really love this game.

I appreciate it a lot more due to the massive visual boost and noticed stuff I missed on my first playthrough.

Simply a great game.

Styles

God, I love the
Looking Glass Knight
theme so much.

Oh gosh, and the
Dark Lurker
(boss spoiler) theme as well.

[edit] Almost forgot about the
Skeleton Lord
theme. Ugh too many good ones to list.

I feel like such a noob. I've been playing for an hour and I haven't gotten past the 3 big dudes. Just getting to the is a hard time. I'm talking about the first 3 armored giants and then the room with 3 at the same time.

Fight them on the stairs. As soon as you walk in the room, the 2H comes at you, the other 2 fall back. Run all the way back to the set of stairs you came up by the first lever. Kill the 2H guy. Wait at the stairs, and the other 2 come to you. You can bait them to attack above you, back-step and they will miss (except on downward slash, so be ready to roll). I found it to be way easier. This is probably the hardest fight in the area, excluding bosses.

Super Bunnyhop (the guy famous for the Critical Close-up series on games like Metal Gear Solid and the first Dark Souls) put up a video about VAC bans disabling connectivity in DSII, even though the game supposedly doesn't use VAC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6fo34JOAk

Has anyone here been having problems with this? This is something people should definitely take to Namco Bandai on social media, it's a serious issue. Whether it's a technical error or something else, people shouldn't be banned from playing the game online because of something they did in a completely different game - that's explicitly against Valve's stated policy. Not to mention there's absolutely no warning about it in the game's product information. We need answers.

WaxPineapple

Neo Member
So, I read that Clerics would benefit more from Attunement rather than Adaptability? If this is true, should I even bother with ADP at all?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Super Bunnyhop (the guy famous for the Critical Close-up series on games like Metal Gear Solid and the first Dark Souls) put up a video about VAC bans disabling connectivity in DSII, even though the game supposedly doesn't use VAC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6fo34JOAk

Has anyone here been having problems with this? This is something people should definitely take to Namco Bandai on social media, it's a serious issue. Whether it's a technical error or something else, people shouldn't be banned from playing the game online because of something they did in a completely different game - that's explicitly against Valve's stated policy. Not to mention there's absolutely no warning about it in the game's product information. We need answers.

sorry, I have zero sympathy for cheaters

you cheat in one game, you'll cheat in this one

I wish they banned cheaters from literally all Steam-related multiplayer, to be honest

I feel like I have to be doing something wrong or I must be terrible.
Pursuer
just decimates me. I'm fighting at half health at this point but I don't want to burn an effigy until I find a way to consistently do damage. I've seen people mention that this is easier than the first Dark Souls, but I'm finding this fight way harder than anything I faced early game in the first game.

it's easier if you've played Dark Souls.

Sanctuary

So, I read that Clerics would benefit more from Attunement rather than Adaptability? If this is true, should I even bother with ADP at all?

Get ATT up to 40 and then add whatever ADP you need to hit ~100 agility. I would advise waiting to put any into ADP until the rest of your stats are finished, if you have some kind of SL cap like 150 or whatever for PvP. Gear requirements > spell requirements > ATT = FA > VIT > VIG > ADP.

Pursuer
just decimates me. I'm fighting at half health at this point but I don't want to burn an effigy until I find a way to consistently do damage. I've seen people mention that this is easier than the first Dark Souls, but I'm finding this fight way harder than anything I faced early game in the first game.

There are a few ways to make this fight much easier
(especially the second time).

You can actually parry his thrusting charge (cursed/blue sword attack), and you have a long time to do it. When you fight him at his second location, you can parry in front of a ballista and then shoot him for half life or more. You can also just hug to his shield side and circle strafe counter-clockwise to avoid most of his attacks. Using a shield while doing that trivializes the fight as long as you don't get greedy with your stamina spending.

sorry, I have zero sympathy for cheaters

you cheat in one game, you'll cheat in this one

I wish they banned cheaters from literally all Steam-related multiplayer, to be honest

Watch the video, he didn't cheat, just used a lighting mod on a half life game exactly the same kind folks are using in Dark Souls now. Got banned in HL for it 6 years ago and never cheated.

Jobias

Pursuer

One thing that I found helps for all bosses is to get summoned to help someone else before you attempt it yourself. I've found that learning a boss with two other people helps a lot, and if you fail there's no penalty; you just respawn where you were before. But if you succeed, you regain all your humanity, and if you put your summoning sign outside the boss door, you're ready to summon two others to make your attempt. There's no need to use up your effigies if you're willing to invest the time to help someone else with their attempt.

God I'm an idiot. I finally beat the
Pursuer
. I can't believe it took my this many tries to see the obvious giant opening for attack. I was making him much harder than he had to be.

it's easier if you've played Dark Souls.

I've beaten Dark Souls several times but I was really struggling with that boss. Once I realized he had a very predicable, easily dodged move, it was not nearly as difficult as I was making it.

Grief.exe

I feel like it's a missed opportunity that From didn't include Trading Cards with Dark Souls II.

>500,000 people are playing right now and they could be making even more revenue off that side of the market.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game came out yesterday and I already have 15 hours on it.

Feel like I'm gonna throw up :(

Amazing shit though. I already know that no subsequent playthrough will be as good as this first one. And that's ok.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Am I the only person still in the forest? I'VE ONLY HAD TWO HOURS OF PLAYTIME ALL WEEKEND SLOW DOWN FRIENDS

Don't lose heart, I'm still in the forest. Partially because of Battlefield 4's 2XP (trying to reach the level cap) and partially because I've been struggling to get through
the castle area
. Tried to get summoned, got summoned a few times (seems people moved on really fast or my soul memory level is way higher than the new players for that area? WTF) died a few times, helped a few times. Saw the shortcut to the bonfire but dunno how to activate it. Went and leveled a few times to FINALLY get off the broken sword/dagger combo I was using in my left hand. No more broken items since I now have a short-sword. Also a huge change in damage from 30-60 to 100-200 per swing. Nice.

Levyne

Banned
Dislike when I go to help someone on
Mytha
and the poison isn't clear, but maybe they just missed however you do it. In fact, I don't even know how it's done, but i did it.

Zakkath

So, is there any way to change the FoV ? I'm having a hard time getting used to this game. It's messing with my eyes. Not exactly motion sickness, but something just doesn't feel right and it's quite annoying. Never had any issues in DS1.

Bleh, been farming the Shadow set for hours in NG with a Bonfire Ascetic and still haven't gotten the Shadow Top. Got two of the entire rest of the armor set, a Shadow Dagger and two Malformed Claws. :(

If anyone's in NG (I'm SL 77, SM around 680,000) and has this thing, let me know if you need the rest of the set. I'll literally trade someone all three of the other armor pieces plus the dagger and claw to get the top.

MG310

So many people that summon me for the
Myrha
fight don't
drain the poison from the room first.

I ended up just putting my sign where the poison pool in front of the boss door was so those people couldn't see it.

Seems like it's going to be a lot faster to level up as a SunBro than on PS3 - got summoned within a minute for the Lost Bastille boss 15 or so times.

Bell Covenant should go quickly too..I had the ring on for 5 minutes before getting annoyed and taking it off since it was working a little too well.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So, is there any way to change the FoV ? I'm having a hard time getting used to this game. It's messing with my eyes. Not exactly motion sickness, but something just doesn't feel right and it's quite annoying. Never had any issues in DS1.

Camera does seem a little too close (unless you think it's too far, in which case I don't agree)

x86

Neo Member
So many people that summon me for the
Myrha
fight don't
drain the poison from the room first.

By the way, how are you supposed to figure out that's even possible? I never did when I played on PS3, so I ended up beating
her
with
the poison
still there.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Get ATT up to 40 and then add whatever ADP you need to hit ~100 agility. I would advise waiting to put any into ADP until the rest of your stats are finished, if you have some kind of SL cap like 150 or whatever for PvP. Gear requirements > spell requirements > ATT = FA > VIT > VIG > ADP.

There are a few ways to make this fight much easier
(especially the second time).

You can actually parry his thrusting charge (cursed/blue sword attack), and you have a long time to do it. When you fight him at his second location, you can parry in front of a ballista and then shoot him for half life or more. You can also just hug to his shield side and circle strafe counter-clockwise to avoid most of his attacks. Using a shield while doing that trivializes the fight as long as you don't get greedy with your stamina spending.

Still found him extremely difficult with all that,
parrying
just isn't my thing can't get the
timing
to save my life and one miss
parry
and u'r dead :(.

didamangi

Killed by
the giant poisonous boss rat
a few times, he hit me like 2 times and the fight was over, gonna need a better gear
and skill.

Killed the other phantom in a 3-person fight like this.

I felt bad, but it was pretty funny.

I killed the one who summoned me, whoops.

Still found him extremely difficult with all that,
parrying
just isn't my thing can't get the
timing
to save my life and one miss
parry
and u'r dead :(.

The parry windows seem to be smaller in DS2 which is frustrating since it was already challenging to pull off consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom