• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ha, I thought you were the one that really despised this game? I do think this game is gonna hold up a lot in the months and years to come. I just realized the shortcut in
Lost Bastille
that basically lets you skip
Run Sentinels
... Some crazy crap in this game.

I hope it does. I feel no shame in saying this: Dark Souls II is my favorite game of all time. Literally.

Kai Ozu

I've played this game on every platform and I still can't get over how much fun I'm having. For me, this is the best action game since Ninja Gaiden black.

I hope it does. I feel no shame in saying this: Dark Souls II is my favorite game of all time. Literally.

Choosing a favorite between the Souls games is like choosing favorites among your kids. I'll just say I love all of them equally.
I do have a favorite kid :p

I just can't beat this
Pursuer
guy. I dodge most of his attacks... but then I screw up once, and he starts comboing me into death. Often it's because I need to drink, and I having a hard time telling when there's time for it, most of the time he instantly charges. Burning through my effigy supply... at least the hallways up to him have been completely empty for a while. My capra demon of this game, perhaps.

Blargh. Maybe I should just have gone heavy tank instead of doing this rolling business, I'm less than impressed by the returns on End though.

For Pursuer:

1)
If you need to heal, keep dodging until either he does his blue sword chargeup, or his triple-hit combo... those have longer recovery times and give you time to drink an Estus. Not much time, mash the roll button like crazy to get away after healing.

2)
If this is the second battle (not the surprise one, the one with the balista) you can hurt/kill him with the baliista to make it easier. The trick is lock on to him first, then run to a balista and press "A" twice (to load, then shoot). You get 1 shot per ballista, each hit knocks about 50% of his health off.

3)
If you really want to EZ-mode it, do the same as #2 above, but bring some phantoms with you... while they distract him at the far end of the room, it is easier to get a hit on him. Don't hit your phantom helpers, it's 1 hit 1 kill for the ballista!

As for running out of effigies: The key to this is to help other people! Fight your way to
Pursuer's fog gate. Drop you small white soapstone sign, wait a few mintues. Someone will summon you to help fight him. If you win (or somehow 5 minutes pass without losing), you will be returned to human, full health, estus restocked, and damaged gear repaired... plus a Smooth and Silky stone.

Your comment about Endurance:
did you boost it up to roll faster? In DS2, to raise equip load it is vitality you have to raise, endurance gives you primarily stamina, as well as a bit more HP, def, and poise.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Choosing a favorite between the Souls games is like choosing favorites among your kids. I'll just say I love all of them equally.
I do have a favorite kid :p

I always say that my favorite gaming franchise is Mega Man, but when it comes down to brass tacks...Souls is just stupendous stuff. My least favorite Souls is in my top 3 past gen titles lol...Actually my Top 3 is fairly easy to guess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol
Old Iron King
was eaaaasy.

I wish I had found the bonfire next to it, I would have tried solo more times. In fact, I wish every boss had a bonfire right outside its room >_<

Firebrand

Easy peasy stuff!
You can use the ballistas in the room to kill him in one shot( or severely damage him). Bait him in front of one, then finish him.
Yeah I know... but I figured that's "cheating", so to speak, and I just need to learn rolling properly... but christ, I've spent dozens of attempts on him.

I love the exploration bits of this game but the game seems so much harder than the first one. Of course, my build is a bit shit as I've been chasing too many attributes for fun and utility, took many many levels to get faith and attunement up and it hasn't really paid off yet, while Vit/End hasn't gotten too many points in them since the star (level 65 atm). Still not sure if that would help since blocking this guy isn't an option nor is getting hit.

But yeah, I was wandering around
Huntsman's Copse
and other areas... I was worried warping was gonna ruin the sense of exploration but that certainly hasn't been the case, while I haven't seen so many nifty shortcuts between areas the world design otherwise is much more interesting so far.

Well, back to banging my head against this wall of a knight, or I could go do the same at
Old Dragonslayer
. :p

edit: He dead. Went he started boiling I said screw it and took the shot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Having played all 3 Souls game, I do think it's the easiest.

I think DS1 was easier /shrug.

And Demons Soul even easier, but that one I played as a sorc, not sure if it counts :p

2AdEPT

I agree 100%....nothing even comes close, except the previous iterations.....aint no shame in that......I know people think Im crazy for hardly touching other games since 2009, but seriously I think I have a deep rich life; make a deep rich game with awesome organic combat and I'll play it....I got too much else to do to waste my time pushing X to win...even the witcher 2 was a HUGE let down owing to its press x combat system. Loved traps though....and setting up the boss room ahead of time ;) .......that is something souls games could add. Ill play Witcher 3 I'm sure, but I doubt it will give me even a fraction as much enjoyment as dark Souls 2.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Having played all 3 Souls game, I do think it's the easiest.

I think it's the hardest by far, with Demon's being the easiest. It may be my favorite but it does tend to get quite aggravating in ways the previous games didn't (
from poison spitting statues to chain gank bosses like Gargoyles or Sentinels.
If there's one thing I can't let slide, is that sometimes DSII is a tad unfair, while DeS and DS never felt so.

Conezays

I think DS1 was easier /shrug.

And Demons Soul even easier, but that one I played as a sorc, not sure if it counts :p

Interesting. I do think it matters if you've played other titles/which order though. For me the difficulty is Demons>DS>DS2. I've pretty much done knight/warrior with pyro variant through all 3 games on at least 1 run.

Even just the warping and increased quantity of bonfires makes it the easiest entry for me.

Rhaknar

Interesting. I do think it matters if you've played other titles/which order though. For me the difficulty is Demons>DS>DS2. I've pretty much done knight/warrior with pyro variant through all 3 games on at least 1 run.

one thing that I feel about DS2, and this isnt a complaint, just an observation, is that I feel some bosses favor some specs more than DS1. in DS1, I never felt gimped for being a pure meleer with no spells for example.

in DS2 Ive already felt gimped twice, and felt some bosses would clearly be easier as a ranged guy, and some bosses were loleasy as a tank (like the
Lost Sinner
, who i just /shruged all his moves away with my tower shield and laughed)

edit: but then again, im mediocre at the series so what do I know. Still love them so I dont care :)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
When I play this game, I feel like I'm totally bumbling my way through. You guys are talking about agility and how it affects your roll. I didn't even know agility was something I could put points into, let alone have it boost your rolling and estus speed.

I still have lots of fun and I'm still making progress, but I think I would benefit from watching a lengthy tutorial on how to really play Dark Souls.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Some of the last Phantoms in Shrine of Amana returned to their world right after I summunded them. Never had that before. Is there some trend i dont know about?

finalflame

So, I'm at
Doors of Pharros
...Do I
just keep putting stones into these things mindlessly? The only clear path I see is to the rate, and the other fog door I can't get to :/

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Dark Souls 2 is by far the easiest souls game.

MAYBE it competes with Demon's Souls, but it's been a long time since I've last played that.

The game is only really difficult because they throw groups of enemies at you like all the time, and the combat system isn't really designed for that.

2AdEPT

I just can't beat this
Pursuer
guy. I dodge most of his attacks... but then I screw up once, and he starts comboing me into death. Often it's because I need to drink, and I having a hard time telling when there's time for it, most of the time he instantly charges. Burning through my effigy supply... at least the hallways up to him have been completely empty for a while. My capra demon of this game, perhaps.

Blargh. Maybe I should just have gone heavy tank instead of doing this rolling business, I'm less than impressed by the returns on End though.

No no , absolutely do not tank up ever.......this boss win was the pivotal point for the whole playthough.......you're almost there buddy! Roll to his right side, get in behind, either attack or if he did a double or triple combo you can heal after, also able to heal if he does his jumping slam attack or cursed weapon attack.

I also wore
armour the whole game.

Mistel

Banned
Some of the last Phantoms in Shrine of Amana returned to their world right after I summunded them. Never had that before. Is there some trend i dont know about?
They used a separation crystal you probably summoned a person who was waiting for a friend to co-op with so they bailed.
So, I'm at
Doors of Pharros
...Do I
just keep putting stones into these things mindlessly? The only clear path I see is to the rate, and the other fog door I can't get to :/
You can get a santiler's spear from one of the doors. They are rat covenant things so not really much for anyone else really.

LeBart

Is there still no way to disable the mouse cursor, other than AutoHideMouseCursor?
I can't seem to make it work reliably. Sometimes the cursor comes back for no apparent reason.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Dark Souls 2 is by far the easiest souls game.

MAYBE it competes with Demon's Souls, but it's been a long time since I've last played that.

I played Demons after Dark, and I plowed through most of it in a single day. I actually stopped after starting my game to go back to Dark on 360 haha. I really think that your first Souls game influences how you view the rest of the series going onwards. I've seen posts (on GameFAQs...I know...) of people who went to Dark Souls after playing DSII first and not having any troubles while I died 10 times to pretty much every boss.

Demons was that to me. Everything felt breezy and simple but then again, I had been prepared to the game's logic.

impact

Banned
Man, fuck Soul Memory. I'm about to finish the game and the difference is staggering. Summon signs are becoming scarce. :-/

I'm at yomama at 1.2m SM and seeing a ton of signs still

sunbro though, if that even affects SM

I played Demons after Dark, and I plowed through most of it in a single day. I actually stopped after starting my game to go back to Dark on 360 haha. I really think that your first Souls game influences how you view the rest of the series going onwards. I've seen posts (on GameFAQs...I know...) of people who went to Dark Souls after playing DSII first and not having any troubles while I died 10 times to pretty much every boss.

Demons was that to me. Everything felt breezy and simple but then again, I had been prepared to the game's logic.

Demons is definitely easier than DS2 imo. Areas are probably better but the bosses in that game are a complete joke

Firebrand

Your comment about Endurance:
did you boost it up to roll faster? In DS2, to raise equip load it is vitality you have to raise, endurance gives you primarily stamina, as well as a bit more HP, def, and poise.
No, does End actually make you roll faster? Like I said, I haven't put too many points into it yet. I got a few points of Vig to raise the equip load, but then
I got that ring that made it less pressing

Is adaptability worth getting? It's only at 7 atm. I'm already spreading myself thin over Vig, Vit, End, Str, Dex, Atn and Fai, and Fai has yet to have any real combat applications.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So, I'm at
Doors of Pharros
...Do I
Doors of Pharros is optional, use the
left path that leeds upwards before going to the first bonfire, this will lead you onwards

finalflame

They used a separation crystal you probably summoned a person who was waiting for a friend to co-op with so they bailed.

You can get a santiler's spear from one of the doors. They are rat covenant things so not really much for anyone else really.

So..where do I go then? I seem to be at a dead end here :/

2AdEPT

Isn't this the NPC that you need the
Ring of Whispers
to talk to?

I don't know for sure, just a guess.

i dont think so, the one you are thinking of is
Tarks
wife....although I never tred the ring here so worth a shot??!?!?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Demons is definitely easier than DS2 imo. Areas are probably better but the bosses in that game are a complete joke

That makes a lot of sense. I barely die in DeS and DS' areas now, but the bosses always take a few lives away. In DSII bosses don't slay me all that often, but the levels themselves always kick me in the teeth repeatedly and harshly.

It's why I think DSII is the hardest. Bosses are easy but the levels are completely hellish.

Grief.exe

how are you in
the gutter
Grief, you were like 6 zones behind me earlier o_O

Hell if I know, I just decided to push down at one point and now I'm way the hell down here.

It felt extremely claustrophobic as I was offline for a portion of The Gutter, so I didn't see any signs of life. Just me against the Dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom