• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
That makes a lot of sense. I barely die in DeS and DS' areas now, but the bosses always take a few lives away. In DSII bosses don't slay me all that often, but the levels themselves always kick me in the teeth repeatedly and harshly.

It's why I think DSII is the hardest. Bosses are easy but the levels are completely hellish.

I feel that this is just due to Dark Souls 2 having worse level/enemy design than the previous games. Like, much worse.

The other games didn't throw groups of 3+ guys at you at a CONSTANT rate throughout the level.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Haven't seen him at all and I feel like I've scoured the whole place :/
Is he in the same area where the ratbros can summon you?
Read my post from before, you'll meet Gavlan on that path if you talked to him in harvest Valley.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hell if I know, I just decided to push down at one point and now I'm way the hell down here.

It felt extremely claustrophobic as I was offline for a portion of The Gutter, so I didn't see any signs of life. Just me against the Dark.

is that
down the hole in Majula
?

reampage

Neo Member
Having played all 3 Souls game, I do think it's the easiest.

Because you are getting familiar every game, actually nothing changes that much, imo ds2 has better boss fights than other souls games.

The nest soul game youll play will be easier than this if they dont change anything combat wise.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I feel that this is just due to Dark Souls 2 having worse level/enemy design than the previous games. Like, much worse.

The other games didn't throw groups of 3+ guys at you at a CONSTANT rate throughout the level.

Opinions and all. IMO DSII's leve/encounter design utterly eclipses the other Souls games by a wide margin.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Opinions and all. IMO DSII's level design utterly eclipses the other Souls games by a wide margin.

Eclipses Dark Souls level design?

I'm gonna definitely have to disagree with you there.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Eclipses Dark Souls level design?

I'm gonna definitely have to disagree with you there.

The way that DS's world connects together doesn't change the fact that IMO, DSII's levels are better paced and have more varied and exciting/difficult encounters than Dark Souls. So yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Vitor711

Man, just got to
Iron Fortress
and the
katana wielding knights
are kicking my ass. I can't stagger them fast enough to interrupt attacks and their hits take off HP even with my shield up. Any tips?

Currently rolling with a mace, that
fire broadsword still and the Drangleic armour
I found. Most points in Dex/End/Adapt and some in Vigor.

Booshka

Man, just got to
Iron Fortress
and the
katana wielding knights
are kicking my ass. I can't stagger them fast enough to interrupt attacks and their hits take off HP even with my shield up. Any tips?

Currently rolling with a mace, that
fire broadsword still and the Drangleic armour
I found. Most points in Dex/End/Adapt and some in Vigor.

Keep using your mace, dont worry about taking a little damage through your shield. If you can time it right, you can block a few hits, then go 2 handed with mace and swing back at them. Strike damage messes them up bad, and 2 hits with a 2 handed mace will certainly stagger them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Keep using your mace, dont worry about taking a little damage through your shield. If you can time it right, you can block a few hits, then go 2 handed with mace and swing back at them. Strike damage messes them up bad, and 2 hits with a 2 handed mace will certainly stagger them.

Yep, I'm rocking a mace for this build and 2H just destroys them. Same for the turtle knights.

Vitor711

K - was using the sword and it wasn't working. Will try going back to the mace. And by mace I mean morning star. I have both but have levelled up the latter more. I'm assuming it makes no difference? Have a magic mace too but never sure when that does more damage than the normal one.

Booshka

K - was using the sword and it wasn't working. Will try going back to the mace. And by mace I mean morning star. I have both but have levelled up the latter more. I'm assuming it makes no difference? Have a magic mace too but never sure when that does more damage than the normal one.

Mace hits harder than Morning star, the detail you are looking for is the Attack type, Thrust, Slash or Strike. Strike damage is the ticket, that is what you want to use against armored foes. Most strike weapons do a lot of poise damage as well, so you can stagger enemies quicker and they will stay stunned until they die.

legacyzero

Banned
Getting my ass HANDED to me at Iron Keep. I don't think I should be there yet. I havn't done The Gutter. Maybe I need to go there first?

Booshka

Getting my ass HANDED to me at Iron Keep. I don't think I should be there yet. I havn't done The Gutter. Maybe I need to go there first?

Both can be done at around the same level, but if you are really getting beat up, try another area. Or upgrade some gear, try different weapons, etc. The Gutter is a fine place to go at this point in your progression.

I've died so damn much in this bloody game. Running out of Human Effigies. I feel like a scrub, I've cheesed all bosses using summoned phantoms, hell I cheesed the Pursuer using the ballistas while the phantoms distracted him, lol. In Dark Souls I tanked shit on my own like a boss, here I'm getting ambushed, cornered and swarmed by five enemies at a time. Sometimes it's not even about learning patterns or blocking when shields no longer fully absorb damage (or I haven't found a shield that does), some enemies don't even have a recovery time and will keeping swinging their weapons. This clearly feels sloppy at times. It's like they saw the ambushes in the Undead Burg and decided to apply them game-wide.

Getting mixed messages here. You are basically encouraged to summon people at this rate in NG.

I'm also noticing my stamina runs out really fast, need to start pumping points into that but the worst offender is the stagger and damage through shield. I'm starting to miss the old DS poise and Havel's armor. Fucking hate to be staggered like this all the time.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find some decent armor and shield? I found the knight set but it obviously feels like the poor's man elite knight set. Freaking sick of getting staggered all the time.

Any help will be appreciated. I've opened the roads in Huntsman Copse and also ventured into Lost Bastille once by killing the Flexile Sentry (stupid Lucatiel got owned in the middle of the battle) and the Pursuer.

Those three fucking ruin sentinels have destroyed me five times already. I read they are optional so, good riddance, I'm skipping them for now and coming back for their asses later. In the meantime, trying not to die like a scrub...

I just beat that area....I fucking haaaaaaaated it. It was difficult. I would recommend going with as much as armor as you can without going above the 70% load threshold and praying. I was SL 80ish

I've died so damn much in this bloody game. Running out of Human Effigies. I feel like a scrub, I've cheesed all bosses using summoned phantoms, hell I cheesed the Pursuer using the ballistas while the phantoms distracted him, lol. In Dark Souls I tanked shit on my own like a boss, here I'm getting ambushed, cornered and swarmed by five enemies at a time. Sometimes it's not even about learning patterns or blocking when shields no longer fully absorb damage (or I haven't found a shield that does), some enemies don't even have a recovery time and will keeping swinging their weapons. This clearly feels sloppy at times. It's like they saw the ambushes in the Undead Burg and decided to apply them game-wide.

Getting mixed messages here. You are basically encouraged to summon people at this rate in NG.

I'm also noticing my stamina runs out really fast, need to start pumping points into that but the worst offender is the stagger and damage through shield. I'm starting to miss the old DS poise and Havel's armor. Fucking hate to be staggered like this all the time.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find some decent armor and shield? I found the knight set but it obviously feels like the poor's man elite knight set. Freaking sick of getting staggered all the time.

Any help will be appreciated. I've opened the roads in Huntsman Copse and also ventured into Lost Bastille once by killing the Flexile Sentry (stupid Lucatiel got owned in the middle of the battle) and the Pursuer.

Those three fucking ruin sentinels have destroyed me five times already. I read they are optional so, good riddance, I'm skipping them for now and coming back for their asses later. In the meantime, trying not to die like a scrub...

Right after the Pursuer fight you should see a place to drop down and get some Great early game armor/shield. You may need to level up your Vit though.
Also, don't need to burn through effigies. Use small soapstone to get summoned. A successful run turns you human and repairs your gear.

Late game question:
I got the King's ring. I've seen a few of those sealed doors during the game, does it matter where I go next? I.e. is one of those places going to be the final boss or something?

I bought the greatshield and the Elite Knight set from the armor vendor in Majula, those took me a long way. Then I just upgraded piece by piece.

^The one suggested by Orthogonal is also nice, but it was a bit too heavy for me.

Mistel

Banned
Does anyone have any idea where I can find some decent armor and shield?
Alva set:
NXDaYSA.png

Tad heavier brought from Maughlin. More than viable for it's light weight 20.6 for the whole set.
You can get it at your stage of the game you can use it very far into the game.

Adaren

Does anyone have any idea where I can find some decent armor and shield?

On the shield, after T
he
P
ursuer
before the nest, look down off the edge and you'll see some rubble you can jump to as well as treasure. There's a 100% block shield down there.

You can get it at your stage of the game you can use it very far into the game.

Glad to hear it's good! I just bought that set, but mainly because it looks so dapper. Those cloth physics...

HoosTrax

Lit all four primal fires, but I'm not sure how much of the game is left. Think I'm just going to kick back for a while, and explore, try to find things I missed, and experiment with various weapons.

Arjen

Late game question:
I got the King's ring. I've seen a few of those sealed doors during the game, does it matter where I go next? I.e. is one of those places going to be the final boss or something?

I bought the greatshield and the Elite Knight set from the armor vendor in Majula, those took me a long way. Then I just upgraded piece by piece.

^The one suggested by Orthogonal is also nice, but it was a bit too heavy for me.

You need to do all of them, doesn't really matter which order.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lit all four primal fires, but I'm not sure how much of the game is left. Think I'm just going to kick back for a while, and explore, try to find things I missed, and experiment with various weapons.

You'd think you are near the end.
You are far away from the end. DSII is massive! Enjoy the rest of the game!

Booshka

Knight armor is fine, and it has more poise than Elite Knight. The Kite shield that Maughlin sells is pretty good for blocking, it isnt 100%, but its close and has good stability. After the Pursuer fight
is some good armor and a 100% shield

I suggest trying a Mace and an Estoc, and maybe a Short bow or Crossbow to pull some enemies and snipe when possible.

The enemies are more swarmy and aggressive, with some ridiculous attack tracking as well, but you can still manage them similarly to other Souls games if you are patient and have some strategy.

Mytha the Baneful Queen
must be the worst boss battle in any game ever. A bunch of cliff racers flying around and that really would have been a compendium of the most annoying things in gaming. Pretty sure that battle is where they threw all the ideas that were ditched for other boss battles, a sort of glorified recycling bin if you will.

Thanks everyone for the sound advice. I was getting really frustrated by these changes but the shield one combined with the shit-tier armor have been driving me insane.

>Booshka: Indeed! Case in point, I am now carrying a bow and the Healing miracle with me. The bow proved VERY useful in Lost Bastille as I shot two of those annoying ambush assholes through one of the windows then disposed of the other three.

I've also noticed the roll is nowhere near as effective as before when dodging but I take that was intended, right? Like someone else said, I may have to stop playing this with a DS1 mentality, heh.

Can't believe I've already pumped 11 hours into this considering how little time I've available, lol.

Also, it's a shame those Heide knights weren't NPCs. I feel really bad for taking them down since they are just sitting there, chilling with an armor full of arrows and reminded me of Siegmeyer...

However, I stopped feeling bad once I saw what they did to my two summoned fellas that started attacking him. That bastard (the Heide Knight at the opening of Lost Bastille) literally 420 NO SCOPED them in 2 hits, both at the same time, jeez... Glad I managed to deliver the final blow but still!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's the benefit of defeating (early game spoilers)
The Pursuer before the actual boss fight
?

Kalnos

Banned
Mytha the Baneful Queen
must be the worst boss battle in any game ever. A bunch of cliff racers flying around and that really would have been a compendium of the most annoying things in gaming. Pretty sure that battle is where they threw all the ideas that were ditched for other boss battles, a sort of glorified recycling bin if you will.

That boss is ridiculously easy assuming
you drained the poison... which I did not lol

Zeliard

Mytha the Baneful Queen

Have you
removed the poison from that arena?

Mytha the Baneful Queen

Are you, by any chance,
fighting her in a pool of poison?

What's the benefit of defeating (early game spoilers)
The Pursuer before the actual boss fight
?

No benefit. Just for glory.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
That boss is ridiculously easy assuming
you drained the poison... which I did not lol

I learned about this too late, but to be honest I really enjoyed
the difficulty the poison adds to the boss battle. Of course, it would be terrible if you didn't have any green moss or other poison curing items.

More can be found at this comparison gallery. Top ones have ENB enabled. I took all of these at the game's default brightness setting without any SweetFX, and without GeDaSaTo.
I spent a bit of time tweaking the ENB. I'm not really sure the game's playable all the way through with this setup because of how dark it is in some areas (without a torch, anyway), but I thought it looked decent enough to share.

You can download it here. Let me know if it works and you dig it.

EDIT: I fixed the brightness a bit, things shouldn't be as dark. Download here, and replace the old file.

I'm using ur ENB
coupled with this guy's stuff http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/16/
but his enb setting just way too much bloom

ENB looks good but the ghosting and rays of Sun r gone. praise the sun :(

enb for now then switch back to Sweetfx

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Oh, is he actually identical to the main fight? Same stats? Same moves? Same rewards?

If you defeat him first then there is no main fight. The boss room is empty.

edit - Sorry, I misread what you meant.

daniels

Mytha the Baneful Queen

and then you realize that you can burn the ...... :p

Jin

Then you need to change undefined profile 0x0095DEF9 (111 Profiles) to 0x00000002 (Half-Life 2: Episode One, Alien Swarm... etc)

I checked and cannot find this undefined profile. At the bottom of DS2 profile I get multiple undefined profile but not this 0x0095DEF9 value. Where do I change this at? I have the nvidia sli profile that was pushed out yesterday through Geforce Experience so I don't know if that matter or not.

Edit: Found it. I had to click on that little magnifying glass icon (show unknown settings from Nvidia profile) on the top menu bar and it expanded a list of undefined values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom