• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
That is true most of the time. There are a few breakable walls/doors too. Don't know why they were inconsistent on this because it is confusing.

Illusory walls are always hit a button to activate, the illusory walls illuminated by pharros lockstones are the ones you have to smash. Then of course there are some doors / walls you can destroy but those aren't illusory.

Not sure about that.

But on the topic of the Cloranthy ring, I'm still sad that it's been nerfed into the ground. It was probably my favorite Dark Souls 1 ring, and now even the Cloranthy Ring+2 is a mere shadow of its former self.

Spiffy_1st found a mod for it above:

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/8/?

I get a ton of stutter when I use texture override, the game just freezes for like 3 seconds when loading new areas. It's annoying, I want to use that and the PS3 icons.

If the texture override is still a bit buggy, I may just wait until it's been updated a few times.

As for the nerf, I just got it, so hadn't really tested out how good the stamina regen buff is. But to be fair, the Cloranthy ring *was* a bit OP in DS1.

Still pretty early but I've taken down the first three bosses I've encountered so far. Two random questions:

1. Is there a preferred boss to drop my sign in front of in the early game? I'm definitely not over leveled but I wasn't getting summoned on the first two I tried.
2. I went pyromancer in DS1 and really enjoyed that build. Started off as a knight here and haven't put any points into faith or int. Does pyromancy scale with any stats now or is it similar to DS1 where you upgrade the flame itself to increase damage?

Thanks

ElFly

My gawd, Smelter demon is kicking my ass even with help. Then I decided to get to get the Great Gyrm shield for the 100%fire resitance, then on my way I kill ManScorpian Tark by accident :(

Why are all these enemies hitting like trucks. I don't recall it was ever like that in Dark Souls 1.

Those lion things in Shaded Woods hit way too hard. Dunno what the fuck.

EnemaEms

Banned
Here's a tip against the
gargoyles
:

Straight melee characters should use gold pine resin on their weapon. Casters will have a far easier time, especially with lightning spears. Rolling is far more necessary in this game for a lot of bosses.

Still pretty early but I've taken down the first three bosses I've encountered so far. Two random questions:

1. Is there a preferred boss to drop my sign in front of in the early game? I'm definitely not over leveled but I wasn't getting summoned on the first two I tried.
2. I went pyromancer in DS1 and really enjoyed that build. Started off as a knight here and haven't put any points into faith or int. Does pyromancy scale with any stats now or is it similar to DS1 where you upgrade the flame itself to increase damage?

Thanks

Pyro scales a bot with bit INT and FTH this time, but an upgraded glove will do tons of damage on its own.

Arkanius

Undead crypt was one of my favorite areas

41F280BA6E1C4167535C3A6BD599158FCBF45FF0

ElFly

Thanks

Almost any early boss will see summons; either the ones in Forest of the Giants, or the ones in Heide. The thing is, some people prefer to summon directly from the respective bonfire.

Fire scales from the total int + faith I think. Sadly, upgrading the fire glove is dependent on items scattered across the glove so you are limited on dumping all your souls onto pyromancy.

Zeliard

As for the nerf, I just got it, so hadn't really tested out how good the stamina regen buff is. But to be fair, the Cloranthy ring *was* a bit OP in DS1.

Maybe so, but we're talking about a nerf from a 45% boost in stamina regen down to 8.5% with the Cloranthy Ring+2. The normal version only gives 3.5% stamina regen.

Maybe so, but we're talking about a nerf from a 45% boost in stamina regen down to 8.5% with the Cloranthy Ring+2. The normal version only gives 3.5% stamina regen.

=O

Wow, that is a huge nerf. Guess that it explains
why it was available so early in the game. I haven't even fought the first boss yet.

2AdEPT

NICE!
Just got to the
gargoyles

And really? REALLY?!
6 of them!?
I beat the
3 statue fight
in
Lost Bastille
earlier and did not enjoy the practical necessity of co-op. The increased emphasis on simultaneous bosses is not fun. I dislike having to use the online as a crutch as the bosses don't seem to be designed for it outside of the multiple-at-one-time ones.

These are optional bosses, can be left for later, and they tend to be tougher solo, but also provide the most satisfaction and addicting reward when done so. My strat was to come back a bit later ...I obviously waited too long for
gargoyles
and utterly destroyed them with black knight halberd and pyro...but to suggest you pretty much have to hire help is not true at all....just come back later, the optional bosses are all tougher than the regular ones int his iteration so that people can progress and beat the game even if they are not vets. super skilled etc.

neither run uses the shield as a blocking tool:
sentinels
solo

gargoyles
nuked solo

eot

Banned

Damn, I'm unequipping that shit as soon as I get home.
Most rings seem weaker, I found a +equip load ring and it's nowhere near Havel's.

Odrion

Banned
Can someone throw out good recommendations for melee weapons that's has some sort of thrust mechanic and not too slow? Any suggestions on how to prioritize stats?

Herla

I'm sorry for causing an international incident

BTW I love being a honourable Bellbro.
Always bowing (even when facing a hail of fireballs), always letting them heal, always fighting 1 on 1 and, best of all, always protecting your other Bellbro when he's about to die. Just shield up in front of the enemy while he backs up.

Also I have to say forward+R1 is incredibly overpowered... with a Mace+5 I managed to oneshot several full armored players.

My PVP experience in NG+ so far: Double Avelyn all day every day. It's so stupid. They're not even hard to dodge, they're just annoying.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright Sunbros, Sun or Blue covenant? I like both ideas but they sound incredibly similar, except you can be golden and have awesome callling signs for Sun. Opinions?

iNvid02

Well, it says I was being summoned.... So maybe I was LOL.

What did I do??

i think its to do with those rat bastards,
in 1-2 areas if you're not a covenant member you get identified as a trespasser and summoned to another players world who, as a covenant member is tasked with killing you.

LiK

Finished the game. Fun. Not sure I'll mop up to get all the achievements like I did on PS3. I need a break from this game, lol

So has anyone had [regarding a mid-game boss battle]
Mytha not show up, or be invisible? I enter the mist and her health bar comes up but she's nowhere to be seen. I actually burnt the windmill before fighting her once, could I have screwed something up? Ugh, I won't be able to progress and beat the game if I can't figure this out.

LiK

So has anyone had [regarding a mid-game boss battle]
Mytha not show up, or be invisible? I enter the mist and her health bar comes up but she's nowhere to be seen. I actually burnt the windmill before fighting her once, could I have screwed something up? Ugh, I won't be able to progress and beat the game if I can't figure this out.

sounds like a glitch. maybe try reloading the game.

ronny_1

Neo Member
I feel like I broke the game learning curve.

I went first to
the forest of giants and beat the last giant
and then beat
Pursuer
but I guess took the wrong path and ended in
lost bastille and beat the sentinels and lost sinner
so a shit tons of souls invested in leveling up, heading to the
huntsman's copse, no man wharf and helde's tower
cutting like butter the enemies and dominating the bosses...

I might drop the game for now since exams are in sight. I'd like to have a peaceful journey in Drangelic and not try to do a forced speedrun. Not that far into the game, but yeah can't wait to start over again.

I feel like I am going to have a big problem in
No-Mans Wharf
please tell me it gets easier?
I used the Pharros stone and the monsters hid but its so hard to kill them when 3 of them hide in a tiny room.

2AdEPT

Where can I get a great shield?

LOL...roll a dex character that cant hold them and you get one every second item!

A really cool one here.

Follow the secondary link in the video description to get in to that area without the
iron key

You can also get in by jumping over the rock ledge where you find the
fire longsword

I feel like I am going to have a big problem in
No-Mans Wharf
please tell me it gets easier?
I used the Pharros stone and the monsters hid but its so hard to kill them when 3 of them hide in a tiny room.

Yeah its a tough area for sure, but in order to kill the stalkers you best do it ranged...i.e. bows, throwing knives or magic. If you want to go one on one with them you want to learn how to backstab them....but dont try this when they are in groups.

Gazoinks

Think I've died at least five times trying to make the jump near the beginning of H
unstman's Copse
. I hate when these games make you do platforming, jumping isn't responsive enough for it. That treasure had better be good!

I have lit 3 Prime Bonfires:
Sinner, Freja and Old Iron King.

I think I have to go down the hole in Majula, but I only get to a blocked door and if I go down the stairs where I'm supposed to go I keep dying because of the fall. How the hell do I get down the well?

2AdEPT

I did a few times, nothing. Not sure what I'm going to do since I can't progress. Guess I'll have to start over.

uggghh ! that sucks....just at a pivotal point that allows you to upgrade your weapons...oh well you will get well trained with low gear.

Think I've died at least five times trying to make the jump near the beginning of H
unstman's Copse
. I hate when these games make you do platforming, jumping isn't responsive enough for it. That treasure had better be good!

its a decent prize but not worth it to fuss over the jump....try thinking outside the box .....there is an easier way to get it!!!! Observe your surroundings in ALL directions!!!!

impact

Banned
I have lit 3 Prime Bonfires:
Sinner, Freja and Old Iron King.

I think I have to go down the hole in Majula, but I only get to a blocked door and if I go down the stairs where I'm supposed to go I keep dying because of the fall. How the hell do I get down the well?

2 ways

get the laddersmith from Earthen Peek back to majula and pay him to set up a ladder or buy the fall damage ring from the cat and roll down on the wood platforms

unstman's Copse

It is a good one. Protip: hit r1/rb to attack on way down so you don't roll.

Garcia

Man, fuck Soul Memory. I'm about to finish the game and the difference is staggering. Summon signs are becoming scarce. :-/

XaosWolf

Managed to finally get some playtime on this yesterday, so I can now jump onto this thread with some first impressions. =)

It's gonna take a while to get used to the mechanical changes, for example the shield break's timing is pretty strict. The hit detection seems a little off on some of the bigger guys' attacks.
Started out with the Knight for some extra VIT right off the bat and the Petrified Lump.
Which I gave to this games version of Twinkly: Got a Titanite Slab! =D
Rolling seems really clumsy now, might just be me, but I aim to try and improve that as I go.
Everything seems slower now in some way. The Estus Flask definitely takes longer to drink. (I don't mean the slow refilling of health upon drinking)
And Poise sucks now I guess?

Wasn't really feeling the game for a while, but defeating the
Last Giant
brought me back to that satisfaction that I got from the prior Souls games.
...And then fighting the next boss, getting killed, and fighting again with help, and getting killed by the help, immediately levelled that feeling back out. =/

Thing is despite any qualms I have with the mechanics, and how much I swear out the enemies bullshit, I will still play through this and come out enjoying it. =P

DukeBobby

Yay, I've finally got all 4 great souls.

Also, what's up with these incredibly difficult areas with incredibly easy bosses?
Old Iron King
was a cakewalk.

Rolling seems really clumsy now, might just be me, but I aim to try and improve that as I go.
Everything seems slower now in some way. The Estus Flask definitely takes longer to drink. (I don't mean the slow refilling of health upon drinking)
And Poise sucks now I guess?

Need to up your agility for better estus speed usage and iframes when rolling. Poise is useless now. Lower equip load to roll faster and farther. Different tier breaks than DS1.

Sullichin

Can someone throw out good recommendations for melee weapons that's has some sort of thrust mechanic and not too slow? Any suggestions on how to prioritize stats?

LOL...roll a dex character that cant hold them and you get one every second item!

A really cool one here.

Follow the secondary link in the video description to get in to that area without the
iron key

You can also get in by jumping over the rock ledge where you find the
fire longsword

Yeah its a tough area for sure, but in order to kill the stalkers you best do it ranged...i.e. bows, throwing knives or magic. If you want to go one on one with them you want to learn how to backstab them....but dont try this when they are in groups.

I had to turn my sound of for a few minutes so I may have missed it, is there a specific reason you put your summon sign down by the salamanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom