• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

54-46!

Man.. fighting the
Belfry gargoyles
solo with a light weight melee build is fucking horse shit, I'm glad I realized you could get Humanity by assisting other players, even if you're Hollow.

I was about to throw my controller out the window.

feel

Centuries later, we are still praising

14042692392_56fff92639_o.jpg
this is art

alazz

Man, all those blood pools in the
Demon of Song
boss room.

Step yo' game up! One of the easiest bosses yet.

That gives me a lot of hope because the area after the second bonfire is the first to kick my butt and I was really scared of encountering the boss. Everything up to that point was a breeze in that area, and then
your equipment may break, you have homing spells on you, you are invaded, and it's easy to get knocked off the edges

Nabs

30 hours in Dark Souls II, not showing any wear on the DS4's thumb sticks.

Operation has been perfect through both USB and Bluetooth using DS4 Tool.

I have a poor Bluetooth connection, so I have to keep the controller in one spot or it may drop. I've also been using DS4Windows (an offshoot of Tool) and it's been nearly perfect so far. 22 hours in.

vocab

For better or worse Dark Souls is compared to Dark Souls 1, the dedicated servers alone make DS2 a much more satisfying and enjoyable experience than DS1 ever was for me. Functional online was all I ever wanted, and it was botched horribly with p2p previously. Between the load times, and the easier and much more reliable summoning/invading system makes the PC port so god damn good.

wrongway

Awesome, had a good time doing some B
elfry Luna
co-op. Fun to see all the wildly different types of characters people are using and how good they can be in PVP. My favorite was this guy who was dual-wielding ultra-greatswords. I laughed when I saw it, but holy shit, so much damage. The
gargoyles
absolutely melted.

Gonna be a long monday.

Is it just me or is the first
Sinner's Keep
bonfire an evilly placed bonfire?

I only used it once since I was trying to find something before head out. And it really is.
this means that regardless of what you do the second you get there you'll have a bunch of guys attack you. The good thing is that they don't chase you, so you could keep going if you felt like it

justjim89

It's PVP... If you suck that's gonna happen.

I'm usually the one being destroyed like that

But being invaded isn't exactly a voluntary thing. I haven't been invaded yet in Dark Souls 2, but in the first game I lost a large number of souls multiple times thanks to invaders not allowing me to reach them.

I've always been of the mind that PVP in these game should be strictly voluntary. Thankfully the Blue covenant seems like it would at least help a bit.

Vuze

DarkSouls 2 ENB has been updated today to 0.255 by Boris:
Fixed bug with ghosting of ambient occlusions at some camera angles and not working depth of field at same cases. Removed obsolette parameters for time of the day, all forced for day only. Added controls for objects lighting.

Download

Nice, maybe this also fixes my pink effect glitches. Can't wait to get home from university and continue playing.

But being invaded isn't exactly a voluntary thing. I haven't been invaded yet in Dark Souls 2, but in the first game I lost a large number of souls multiple times thanks to invaders not allowing me to reach them.

I've always been of the mind that PVP in these game should be strictly voluntary. Thankfully the Blue covenant seems like it would at least help a bit.

I've been a part of the blue sentinels/knights for a while now. I carry the ring everywhere. I have yet to ONCE be called to action to defend a blue apostle/whatever the fuck. It's a boring ass covenant, I'm gonna change Sunbros first chance I get. But apparently that won't be for a while.

I accidentally entered the room with the
Smelter
or whatever it's called in I
ron Keep
since it was uncharacteristic for the game thus far to have a boss so far away from a bonfire. I literally use my Homeward Bone the second I'm inside the room, but he still has time to get up and swing at me, killing me instantly. Great. Goodbye, 20k souls.

Smelter
ron Keep
since it was uncharacteristic for the game thus far to have a boss so far away from a bonfire. I literally use my Homeward Bone the second I'm inside the room, but he still has time to get up and swing at me, killing me instantly. Great. Goodbye, 20k souls.

Yep sounds like a Dark Souls game.

Smelter
ron Keep

Honestly that's why I'm a fan of homeward miracle and getting my cast speed up. I've been able to enter boss fights and if I'm not ready, I do instant homeward.

What does this mean? Never heard of them.

It means a bunch of people will now pretend they know who they are and how it spells doom and gloom because reasons. Literally they'll come up with reasons as to why. And if a Dark Souls 2 sequel/spirital successor ends up coming out and it isn't up to par with these games, it'll instantly be blamed on this. Scapegoats ftw.

Yep sounds like a Dark Souls game.
And I wouldn't give a rat's ass if it weren't for Soul Memory. Plus, it's impossible to get into that room to begin with without taking out the mobs on the way there (since invincibility while entering a fog door is gone), and then I'd have to worry about them disappearing after killing them too many times.

Bah!
Honestly that's why I'm a fan of homeward miracle and getting my cast speed up. I've been able to enter boss fights and if I'm not ready, I do instant homeward.
I've always avoided Faith like the plague in these games, but maybe I'll have to change that. The delay they've added to every action makes escape and survival a lot harder.

Bah!
I've always avoided Faith like the plague in these games, but maybe I'll have to change that.

When I say instant homeward btw I don't mean press the button and I'm there haha, I want to clarify that. I just mean it's faster and can get potentially faster than a regular homeward bone. But faith build can be pretty good. Unless I'm fighting a mage, I can use lightning spear to seriously hurt if not kill a lot of PVP'ers. That is unless they know how to dodge.

Unless I'm fighting a mage, I can use lightning spear to seriously hurt if not kill a lot of PVP'ers. That is unless they know how to dodge.
Oh, trust me, I'm well acquainted with how annoying it is to fight someone with high Faith with Lightning Spear or Emit Force/Wrath of the Gods. But yeah, maybe some more Adaptability would speed up my item use as well.

It's even worst with Bell Bros since there's so little space and if there's two of them and they both use magic get ready to be killed. Such horseshit. But there's nothing more satisfying than beating them with a friend.

Gazoinks

It's even worst with Bell Bros since there's so little space and if there's two of them and they both use magic get ready to be killed. Such horseshit. But there's nothing more satisfying than beating them with a friend.

I had a satisfying Bellbro kill earlier. He invaded and I immediately hid in the place where the Blue Tearstone ring is. He walked right by and I jumped out and one-shot him with a Bastard Sword backstab. Felt good. :D

Weird that Bellbros can be invaded by Bellbros though.

I had a satisfying Bellbro kill earlier. He invaded and I immediately hid in the place where the Blue Tearstone ring is. He walked right by and I jumped out and one-shot him with a Bastard Sword backstab. Felt good. :D

Weird that Bellbros can be invaded by Bellbros though.

Apparently not even Bell Bros are real bros. At least they get invaded and invade, being a Blue Bro means jackshit when I never get summoned. Blue Bros suck. I want a new covenant.

I'll make my own. With blackjack. And hookers.

In fact forget the covenant and the the blackjack.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man
Freja
fucked me up really fast! Annoying as the bonfire is so far away from the boss fight as well :| Why is the bonfire so far away :(

Being a
Looking Knight squire is so fun... I've actually managed to kill two guys which is no small feat for me. The knight himself was a well designed fight even without the pvp aspects
. Fun times.

Damn, back at work for the entire week, all I want to do is play this game.

Thanks again to the people who pointed out I had missed the Estus Flask. That helped quite a lot. Now rocking a +3 Heide sword, a decent 90% physical damage reduction shield and health/stamina regen rings. Was able to down the first boss as well
the last forest giant?
Did it with the complete health penalty
which took a number of tries cause his footstomp one shotted me

Rolled a knight, invested some points in endurance, vgr (health), dex and strength. Not quite sure what route I'm going to take. Would like to add some magic to the mix, anyone got any tips?

Luckily I don't have any complaints about the graphics either, the IQ at least is impeccable and I'm running it bone stock. It's too bad we didn't get the reveal graphics, but it's still got that Souls mood, so I'm happy.

Can't wait to play more.

Is it just me or is Dex scaling completely gimped? I got through a fair portion of the game before re-rolling a Strength character to play with a friend and im now 1-2 shotting most enemies and just turtl'ing bosses with a shield... no roll required.

And Drangleic Armour is so OP for the point you get it.

Using Dark Fog with the Bat Staff is so great. I know how I'm getting max rank with Bell bros.

Stop using broken weapons.

Is it just me or is Dex scaling completely gimped? I got through a fair portion of the game before re-rolling a Strength character to play with a friend and im now 1-2 shotting most enemies and just turtl'ing bosses with a shield... no roll required.

Nope not just you, its a joke.

S scaling gives you like 40 AR......at 40 DEX

Mhmm, it's a bummer how poor dex is. Either going full strength or better yet, imbuing an element and then using a buff will have you dealing a LOT more damage.

That being said, if you do the infusion + buff on a dex weapon then it'll be pretty damn good.

I just beat the
Pursuer

I had fought that boss multiple times and could only manage to get in one or two hits before I died. I was getting destroyed.

Then I decided to help another player beat it to get my humanity back. I was summoned along with someone else and the three of us destroyed the boss.

I decided I would try one more time by myself and then summon help.

I went in assuming I was going to get killed and then... I won. I only had to use one flask during the fight. I have no idea why I had so much trouble before.

Feels good man.

Why's almost everyone I'm summoning/being summoned by using a greatsword? I hate those clumsy things. Also, I tried using a Gyrm Axe for a while and it almost broke in one boss fight. Does missing with a weapon that hits the ground make it degrade faster?

The way that DS's world connects together doesn't change the fact that IMO, DSII's levels are better paced and have more varied and exciting/difficult encounters than Dark Souls. So yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree.
If there's one thing I feel is lacking with Dark Souls II's level design, it's the overall variety with encounters. You only have to compare DS II's
The Gutter
and DS1's
Blighttown
to notice a stark contrast in execution between two very similar themes, with the latter having more defining characteristics both in scenery aesthetics as well as the type of opposition standing in between you and your objective. DS II's
The Gutter
for me was a big disappointment despite
Blighttown
being one of my personal favorites, to the point I feel they should've scrapped TG altogether in favor for a longer, more developed
Black Gulch
. TG felt like a shallow copy, something FROM included for the sake of it without giving the concept much thought, whereas BG was more interesting in just about every way (regardless of the bad reputation it carries) yet it was far too short. This isn't the only example either.

Across the whole, Dark Souls II contains far too many humanoid enemies (especially bosses) with similar move sets among one another, whereas in the previous game they regularly threw creatures into the mix that required different strategies. Not to say that Dark Souls 1 always executed this premise well (Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon and especially Bed of Chaos weren't fun opponents) nor were they always challenging, but at least they tried to spicen things up a bit instead of conceiving yet another humanoid boss or standard foe with roughly the same fundamental behaviour as the one preceeding it. Can't say I agree with the average Dark Souls II encounter being more exciting either, given how their difficulty is often tied to the sheer number of enemies involved above all else while others (like RRA) suffer from atrocious hitboxes. The AI red phantoms are a noticeable improvement however, even if they do 'cheat' a little with their recovery frames and stamina.

Mind you, I'm not under the impression that the Dark Souls II team (considering the difference in staff) didn't have it in them to develop compelling locations. No Man's Wharf, Iron Keep and to a lesser extent Lost Bastille + the
foggy forest
of Shaded Woods (since I don't like the look of these) are high on the list for me, as opposed to some of the linear or empty areas later down the road. It's just that a lot of the content felt unpolished to me, or they didn't make them difficult enough. For the latter you can take No Man's Wharf as a prime example: with the default brightness settings the place isn't dark enough, so in turn finding the Pharros' Lockstone mechanism to
engulf most of it in light
lost its intended "wow" effect for me. The Flexile Sentry boss fight could've been neat with how the water level inside the boat rises... except it does so at a snail's pace even in NG+ onwards. The
oil bomb + fire arrow
viking combo is rad, but underutilized.

Ultimately, for me there were more lows in Dark Souls II (not exclusive to environmental / enemy design), but at the very least none of them were as terrible as Demon's Ruins / Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 1. That place is irredeemable.

Forcing torches would make large sections of the game a royal pain in the ass for characters that rely on shields. I'm glad they ditched it.
That's a problem with the torch mechanic currently being inelegant, rather than the principle behind it being too problematic for various builds. If you could actually drop your torch when the need for it arises (only to pick it up again after a fight), then that alone would've greatly reduced the perceived tedium. FROM not really bothering with sconces anymore the further you get into the game didn't help either. I'm in the camp that hopes they'll continue to refine it for the next game though, since it could open up some fun strategies or scenarios if handled correctly.

NG+ started! Now I just need 144 more kills as a Blue Sentinel to get Wrath of the Gods and then my build will finally be complete.

Things I have learned from this Faith build: Lightning is ridiculous.

Mistel

Banned
Broken weapons are nothing new to this series. Never played Demons Souls PvP I take it? Mirdan Hammer is far better than any MLGS will ever be. It never got touched.
I know that broken weapons exist the fact one didn't get fixed doesn't mean others shouldn't.

How many of the enemy respawn item thing do you get? Enough to get all the boss soul weapons without a NG+ playthrough?

Also, I think it's a really neat item. I used it in Heide's place to farm the enemies (killing that first dude over and over was a really quick way to level up at the beginning of the game, thought I could do it again, turns out 800 souls wasn't really that much by the time I did that), and I found out that it respawns all the enemies + the items + the boss. So I got a second thing that raises your estus strength, and I got to fight the boss again. The second part especially was good for more because I accidentally wasted his soul on an item I didn't want to use, and I really needed his shield.

I really like the change to have enemies stop spawning after a while. It makes losing souls that much more damaging, because there's a finite number of souls you can collect, but also it makes it easier to progress and the game basically says "dude, stop leveling, just move on. You need levels? Well now you don't need them as badly."

Shinjica

I really like the change to have enemies stop spawning after a while. It makes losing souls that much more damaging, because there's a finite number of souls you can collect, but also it makes it easier to progress and the game basically says "dude, stop leveling, just move on. You need levels? Well now you don't need them as badly."

Boss give you so much souls that levelling is your last problem. Add the fact that levelling require less souls than previous games and the despawn mechanic became useless

Skab

So, I have never been invaded by a player. Nor have I ever been summoned (Am a Blue Sentinel) to defend a Way of the Blue player.

What gives? Is invading players not a common thing to do anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom