• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitor711

I have never had as many unfair deaths as I have in this game, I always felt I was at a disadvantage and that kind of takes away from what makes these games fun.

I had one that thanks to shadowplay I got recorded it just makes me sad when it happens. Its the things like this that turn the difficulty into a slog rather than a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FGmFiF53Y

To be fair, you've only got yourself to blame for that one. FROM removed invincibility when opening fog doors. You never want to place yourself in a corner against any enemy. Rushing somewhere is a sure-fire way to get killed. I lost 40,000 souls once due to idiotically attempting to bypass simple enemies and getting caught with no stamina.

The worst death I've had was due to PVP lag. Seriously, when PVP works it can be exhilarating but in this case, I back stabbed the dude twice, hit him multiple times, and then we both died instantly as apparently he'd be peppering me with magic missiles which I never saw.

FROM really should disable invasions if the ping gets too high. That stuff is ridiculous. Literally nothing I could do and I lost the souls I was backtracking to get.

zkylon

zkylewd
To be fair, you've only got yourself to blame for that one. FROM removed invincibility when opening fog doors. You never want to place yourself in a corner against any enemy. Rushing somewhere is a sure-fire way to get killed. I lost 40,000 souls once due to idiotically attempting to bypass simple enemies and getting caught with no stamina.

The worst death I've had was due to PVP lag. Seriously, when PVP works it can be exhilarating but in this case, I back stabbed the dude twice, hit him multiple times, and then we both died instantly as apparently he'd be peppering me with magic missiles which I never saw.

FROM really should disable invasions if the ping gets too high. That stuff is ridiculous. Literally nothing I could do and I lost the souls I was backtracking to get.
yea i just found out about the fog-war thing when trying to outrun the tall dudes

i kinda wish they had kept that, rushing to the boss isn't so bad

Well I wasn't too bothered because it was a short run back and I wanted to check if he could hit me (I am writing a review testing these little things out). Obviously he did hit me but he really shouldn't be able to and then he clipped through the entire wall eventually which I think kinda shows how bullshit it is.

don't worry. you will see him soon again. ;)

You will see him again sooner than you'd like eventually :D

I seriously lost my shit at this particular encounter. I tried to fight the hollow next to it, just saw the crow, was like wtf and got wrecked by the big boy from behind lol

unfortunately that was your one and only chance for that particular encounter...never shy away from a fight that close to the bonfire!

Yeah, you're right. I just figured I could come back later, didn't cross my mind that it wouldn't respwan. He would've destroyed me anyway.

Vitor711

A greatsword like the bastard would help immensely for a tank play style. Respecs are free so no cost.

And armor wise keep a look out for Alonne Captain gear it's very good and right up your alley if your going tank.

I have the full Alonne gear, but haven't found any Captain pieces yet. Will keep an eye out. Maybe run through the area a few more times with the gold covetous ring equipped.

I have a greatsword or two so will try them out as well as my great axe. Never liked those sorts of playstyles but I'm not averse to trying something new, especially when I have 2 soul vessels on me.

Well I wasn't too bothered because it was a short run back and I wanted to check if he could hit me (I am writing a review testing these little things out). Obviously he did hit me but he really shouldn't be able to and then he clipped through the entire wall eventually which I think kinda shows how bullshit it is.

Didn't notice that in the video, I guess you have a point. The clipping is generally less bad that in DkS 1 though. I had spearmen stab me through walls as I was trying to drink my Estus in the first one. Have yet to see anything that egregious so far at least.

zkylon

zkylewd

tbh i think you're grasping a bit, at least with that one example

for the most part the game doesn't seem any more unfair than dks1

tbh i think you're grasping a bit, at least with that one example

for the most part the game doesn't seem any more unfair than dks1

To me, compared with Dark Souls 1 I do feel like there are a lot more injustices. It just feels that way maybe I am imagining things but playing through first I never really had that same feeling.

eot

Banned
Oh man I HATE this. It's ridiculous when the Ironclads will swing their clubs horizontally in a tight corridor and still get off an attack. However, I can't use the second swing of my mace because it 'glances' off the side of the wall.

For a game so highly regarded for being 'tough but fair', I dislike being subjected to rules that enemies can ignore.

I don't think I've encountered that particular enemy, but the trutle guys definitely have trouble swinging horizontally in tight corridors. Their weapons bounce off the walls like yours would.

Vitor711

I don't think I've encountered that particular enemy, but the trutle guys definitely have trouble swinging horizontally in tight corridors. Their weapons bounce off the walls like yours would.

Ironclads = Turtle dudes (I didn't know this either until their armour dropped).

Haven't seen them have any difficulty. There's one specific section where you're potentially forced to fight one in a corridor. He will use every move he can and clip through the walls.

I have never had as many unfair deaths as I have in this game, I always felt I was at a disadvantage and that kind of takes away from what makes these games fun.

I had one that thanks to shadowplay I got recorded it just makes me sad when it happens. Its the things like this that turn the difficulty into a slog rather than a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FGmFiF53Y
Sorry but its clearly your fault in this video. You cant rush trought areas and then just wait in front of a mist - there would be no problem if you have entered the mist instead of standing a whole time in front of it

The only thing that annoys me is that some enemy attacks can leap through walls, but overall the game is just easy.

zkylon

zkylewd
To me, compared with Dark Souls 1 I do feel like there are a lot more injustices. It just feels that way maybe I am imagining things but playing through first I never really had that same feeling.
well maybe you're farther along than me or played it more, but that's not been my impression at least.

i agree there's more of some questionable hits through walls or weird angles (tho targeting in this game is a bit different so there's that too) but i never found it to be particularly annoying and the one instance i'm actually frustrated at this shit is this chariot bossfight cos the run back is a pretty tedious one.

but your specific example, i dunno, maybe i'm trained in the ways of dark souls to never leave anyone standing and to never turn my back on anyone and never expect anything so, u know, that was never a point of frustration for me

well maybe you're farther along than me or played it more, but that's not been my impression at least.

i agree there's more of some questionable hits through walls or weird angles (tho targeting in this game is a bit different so there's that too) but i never found it to be particularly annoying and the one instance i'm actually frustrated at this shit is this chariot bossfight cos the run back is a pretty tedious one.

but your specific example, i dunno, maybe i'm trained in the ways of dark souls to never leave anyone standing and to never turn my back on anyone and never expect anything so, u know, that was never a point of frustration for me

I understand with some games they have problems but they become more of a part of the gameplay rather than just being problems.

I just think in a game that is supposed to fair in its difficulty enemies not abiding the same rules you do is a rather big sin.

I also dislike not having equip load tied to End. My usual DeS/DkS build was to max End and Dex, forget the rest. It's not working nearly as well.

Also, that armour is ridiculous. I'm still below 70% load with most of the pieces (never found the helm and using the katana knight's leggings as they're better) and it's so good.

Yeh I don't understand why Dex took a back seat in this. And the roll doesn't seem as good either. No fucking lag backstabbers in PvP now though so im happy to say farewell to roll just for that.

And yes im in the same boat with equipment. The best weapons seem to be random drops from enemies. Im using the Royal Greatsword (Flamberge) with Greatsword as a backup. As a side note fuck Durability, especially with Spears, whats the point in having to carry 4 weapons around just to complete a section! Although once again im not having this issue with my Strength character.

I'm also horribly bored with my equipment. Between that and the fire sword/mace I got in the beginning, I've never had reason to switch. Had similar issues in DkS but not to this extent. Same armour for 10 hours+ and same weapons for 15 hours+. Meh. I want something new.

And is it just me or are the boss weapons awful? All the ones I have to trade just don't have stats worth anything. I'm thinking of re-rolling to str and trying out some of the heavier stuff. Never liked the low attack speed of the str weapons though but we'll see.

I got to SL 110 and managed to find some starting bandit gear in a later stage of the game. What is the point of even having that drop there, its shit at the start and looks horrendous. Im still using my swordsman armour for my Dex character.

Some of them seem quite good, I do like that they're not too OP. Itd be kinda dull to see every PvP character with Boss Weapons.

Vitor711

1. Stunlock them off a cliff.

2. Not sure what it was over the weekend, but SteamCharts says it's up to 79k today and that's the current peak.

It definitely hit 85K at some point. Dethroned TF2 from the number 3 spot briefly which, let's face it, is as high as it'll go (DOTA and CS are too big to overtake). That being said, those are seriously impressive numbers.

la_briola

1. Stunlock them off a cliff.

2. Not sure what it was over the weekend, but SteamCharts says it's up to 79k today and that's the current peak.

1. Its was in the second
bell tower
area. Hard to do there. :<
I hit him multiple times for 600-800 and his HP didn't drop a bit. Then he "teleported" in front of me. :lol

2. Impressive!

I find myself leveling a lot easier in this compared to DK1. I don't know if because weapon leveling is 'harder' to do or the cost per level is down. I'm at about 45 now in hour 8....in 20 hours of DK1 I think I was at 40.

Vitor711

As a side note fuck Durability, especially with Spears, whats the point in having to carry 4 weapons around just to complete a section! Although once again im not having this issue with my Strength character.

Yeah, I hate this. I only carry two weapons in my active slots (still hate that this affects total load equipped btw) and that's usually enough but in areas with a single bonfire
hello wharf
, you're screwed if you don't carry repair dust. Had both weapons break on the boss there and had to have my summoned NPC helper basically finish them off for me.

eot

Banned
Ironclads = Turtle dudes (I didn't know this either until their armour dropped).

Haven't seen them have any difficulty. There's one specific section where you're potentially forced to fight one in a corridor. He will use every move he can and clip through the walls.

That's odd, because I specifically noted one not being able to swing (as enemies didn't have that problem in Dark Souls), The place where I saw it was the door you unlock with the soldier key in FoFG, the area they showed a lot in previews. I backed up and fought him on the stairs.

Mogwai

I find myself leveling a lot easier in this compared to DK1. I don't know if because weapon leveling is 'harder' to do or the cost per level is down. I'm at about 45 now in hour 8....in 20 hours of DK1 I think I was at 40.
It's a difficult comparison. You're more skilled now than you were at the time of Dark Souls 1 :)

Garcia

I started mixing up play stiles yesterday. Been mainly a melee type of guy but I started to increase my faith in order to land good strikes from a distance with Force/Bolts. I'm quite pleased with the results. Feels great being able to annihilate mobs from a distance, plus, the binoculars are a godsend.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's funny how easy it is to miss stuff (well, for me anyway), even when you think you're being very thorough. I completely bypassed
the gap between the two towers in the shaded ruins, that lead up to the boss
, despite going through that area several times to make sure I got everything. This is like 1998 all over again, with me spending hours trying to find how to get to the lost woods in OOT.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I hate this. I only carry two weapons in my active slots (still hate that this affects total load equipped btw) and that's usually enough but in areas with a single bonfire
hello wharf
, you're screwed if you don't carry repair dust. Had both weapons break on the boss there and had to have my summoned NPC helper basically finish them off for me.

I don't see it. There's a ring to prevent this, and there are literally tons of weapons to carry around in case one breaks.

Maybe I'm just too careful or whatever, but while one weapon breaks on me from time to time, I've never been helpless without any options. Dunno.

hello wharf

Yes. Hate this as well. You are encouraged (forced?) to carry multiple weapons, yet you can't really carry what you want because it's added to your active weight. I find myself only carrying one active weapon because its so damn heavy.

It's a difficult comparison. You're more skilled now than you were at the time of Dark Souls 1 :)

Thats debatable haha. I think it has more to do with having a more focused build this time around.

UrbanRats

I don't see it. There's a ring to prevent this, and there are literally tons of weapons to carry around in case one breaks.

Maybe I'm just too careful or whatever, but while one weapon breaks on me from time to time, I've never been helpless without any options. Dunno.

So far it's by far the biggest annoyance i have with the game, along with exaggerated spinning of (some) enemies.
I'm sure they had all the reasons in the world to do it, but i still don't like it nor agree that it was a good idea.

zkylon

zkylewd
I understand with some games they have problems but they become more of a part of the gameplay rather than just being problems.

I just think in a game that is supposed to fair in its difficulty enemies not abiding the same rules you do is a rather big sin.
well some of this like enemies' attacks not bouncing off walls has been an issue since demon's, so it's not specially specific to dks2

same rules applying to everyone would be great, i've been hoping from finally implements it ever since demon's but for some reason they seem not wanting to

So to get the achievements for the covenents, do you actually have to join them? Or is accessing the 'join or not join' message enough? I think Dark Souls had it the latter, but I don't recall getting the achievements for some of the covenants this time around for the ones I havn't joined. mainly the Champions one.

So I'm in no
man's wharf stuck at the house with the stretch arm strong monsters I have managed to kill a few of them but I think there are around 3 left, what do I do?

I can't believe there are so many.

Firebrand

Is there an unlimited source of titanite shards at some point? I bought the ones the blacksmith had but I feel like I've barely gotten started at looking through weapons...I found some neat ones but it's hard to compare them without upgrading them a bit first, but I have no shards left. Armor is barely upgraded aside from a +2 knight's armor.

Also ran out of effigies and I have no idea how to get more. Someone mentioned jolly cooperation, I guess I'll have to try that. Today I've just been dying nonstop to the same trash mobs I cut through like butter last night, the
chasing jerks in Huntsman's Copse

Also can't quite figure out how weapons compare in damage when it comes to double attributes, maybe it's weak lightning resistance but, say, the Heide sword +1 almost compares to my +3 vagrarian (?!) one that is purely physical, even though the numbers on the vargrarian one are way higher.

zma1013

So I've found the best way to dodge the attacks of the Pursuer is to
simply roll towards him, to his left during every single attack, even the 3 swing combos. This is with agility up to 100 and equip load around 30%.

la_briola

So I'm in no
man's wharf stuck at the house with the stretch arm strong monsters I have managed to kill a few of them but I think there are around 3 left, what do I do?

There is a
Pharros' Lock which lights up the place, they then go and hide for the most part.

Where is this ring. I needs it!

Skab

So I'm in no

Light a torch.
They're afraid of the light and will run themselves into corners allowing you to take them one at at time.

So I'm in no

Unfortunately, Dark Souls 2 seems to play it by the numbers. A LOT. I freaking hate it, I don't recall DS1 being this cramped with so many enemies at the same time.

Way too much crowd control.

Anyway,
those enemies are afraid of torches so you better bring one for No Man's Wharf and try to pick them apart one by one using a bow or something. You should also try to use a Pharros Lockstone to light up the entire area so they crawl into shadows and don't attack you in the open.

Good luck in that section, there is no bonfire past the first one at the entry so bring four weapons or you won't make it to the boss thanks to the new durability stuff.

Also ran out of effigies and I have no idea how to get more. Someone mentioned jolly cooperation, I guess I'll have to try that. Today I've just been dying nonstop to the same trash mobs I cut through like butter last night, the
chasing jerks in Huntsman's Copse

Throw down a small soapstone near the beginning of the level and wait to be summoned. Kill about 3 dudes and you'll be back to normal.

Not as quick as Effigies, but serves the same. You can also drop a large soapstone near the boss areas as well.

I did the pharros lockstone stuff I just managed to kill one more of them, I've run out of arrows now though. I really dont like this place. How do torches work in the game? Do I have to light them?

I think you just got better like a poster above said. I lost a ton if souls in the first game because I sucked, but now that I'm more experienced I tend to die a lot less and therefore lose a lot less souls.

I did the pharros lockstone stuff I just managed to kill one more of them, I've run out of arrows now though. I really dont like this place. How do torches work in the game? Do I have to light them?

you have to find a lit torch in the environment to ignite the torch by pressing the A button.

Firebrand

Throw down a small soapstone near the beginning of the level and wait to be summoned. Kill about 3 dudes and you'll be back to normal.

Not as quick as Effigies, but serves the same. You can also drop a large soapstone near the boss areas as well.
Ah okay, thanks, I'll try that. I've no had trouble getting summoned to boss fights, but I've yet to be invaded or summoned by the
blue sentinels
after 25 hours.

So I'm in no

Get a torch and the run away from you, so you can push them into corners.
Or just like every enemy, circle with a shield and backstab the hell out of them

See the sconces? Those also light torches. However, watch out for those assholes throwing oil firebombs because if you light a torch while being soaked you'll explode and wonder why you died out of the blue.

I freaking hated this area... And you just wait until you ring the bell to call the ship. I hope you leveled up your INT to 9 or 10 so you can speak the NPC here so it moves to Majula and you don't have to come back here again (because I had to...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom