• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporak

I've just found the
Belfry Luna
zone and I don't "get" it, much like the forest in DS1. Practically as soon as I enter it's a 2v1 PVP with enemy NPC's to boot, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make any progress in the area without just going offline.

When you first arrive at
Drangleic Castle
, about how far % wise into the game would you say I am. I know I've killed
about 17-21 bosses / mini-bosses
so far.

70-75%, I'd say.

So, I just got to
The Shrine of Amana//
. I have a feeling I'm close to the end; can anyone tell me if I am or not without spoilers? =D

Nope.

Is the
Shrine of Winter
after
Drangelic Castle?

Nope.

I've been sailing along today. Now I have a ton of souls but I don't know if it's a good idea to keep leveling. I don't want to over level myself but I'm running around with 60K souls and nothing else to really spend them on. I'm playing a pure melee character so I have no need for miracles and spells.

No such thing as over-leveling for multiplayer, if that's what you're worried about (because soul memory is the determinative factor). If you're just trying to keep things challenging, maybe spend them on upgrade stones or buffing items?

HoosTrax

I got through it pretty quickly just by equipping
magic resistant armor
and running through. I'm sure I missed some stuff, but shit was not worth the time it's asking for.
Yeah, when I finally cleared through to the fog gate, that exact thought crossed my mind and I wondered why I didn't do that. One of those things where rage and frustration cloud your judgement.

It wasn't a total wash at least -- those enemies dropped a decent amount of human effigies and twinkling titanite.

No such thing as over-leveling for multiplayer, if that's what you're worried about. If you're just trying to keep things challenging, maybe spend them on upgrade stones or buffing items?

I'd love to spend it on crafting materials but I don't have any merchants that sells them except the started black smith and I bought all his titanite shards.

The bosses I've finished so far are
The Last Giant, The Pursuer, Dragonrider, Ruin Sentinels, Belfry Gargoyles and the Lost Sinner. I've worked my way to the end of the No-man's Wharf but I was missing something, maybe a ring according to one of the signs to get the boss in that area, probably something obvious (I'm playing as blind as I can so I'm avoiding hints outside of messages in game), so I've moved on to another area for now and I reached a bonfire in the Shaded Ruin just after the foggy hazey area. What's a reasonable soul level range for me?

Levyne

Banned
Go to Servant's Quarter bonfire in The Lost Bastille. Climb down the ladder. Use Pharros Lockstone on the wall.

Ahh. I don't have a
lockstone
. Guess I'll come back. No wonder.

Edit: WOW I just started exploring the
Shaded Woods
and guess what one of the first items is :)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
How do blue eye orbs even work? I can never use it. Also i only ever get invaded if i'm in the rat area.

I used all the lockstones up in the rat area but it just makes everything harder for me lol.

I love this game. Someone please stop me. I'm already at 50 hours.
z8eVeu4.png

Actually, there is one more item I can't quite figure out how to get to in Earthen Peak.

If you can get to the room with Pate in it, continue past him, kill the guard on the left (be wary of pots, kite him into the hall), then turn right. You'll see her across the way. Take her down with range attacks, then jump the gap to a treasure chest. Jump back, and then break down the wooden railing. Fall off this ledge, open the chest behind you, and open the door back to Pate. Talk to him to continue his story.

Can anyone tell me how the online component works? I am in China, but have a german version, so it means I only see German people? I ask, because everytime I see some of the "help runes" on the ground, I click it and it shows "connection failed" or something like that.

Yay, just finished my no-death run of the game.
I got cursed twice during
the final boss fight
but that didn't count as a death fortunately so I still got my reward after the credits.

Now that I'm free to die, I'll do the other bosses in the game, and get everything all over again before going to NG+. I'll attempt a no-bonfire run in NG+, shouldn't be too hard, I just have to be vigilant I don't rest by mistake :D

Grave Warden Agdayne will only appear to you if hollow. Just figured that out :)

What do you mean? You don't need to be hollow at all to do anything with him.

Grief.exe

Can anyone tell me how the online component works? I am in China, but have a german version, so it means I only see German people? I ask, because everytime I see some of the "help runes" on the ground, I click it and it shows "connection failed" or something like that.

In the menus you can toggle connections from outside your region.

I get a lot of connections failed as well, it's just due to the shear amount of people playing at once.

Levyne

Banned
Lol. That was quite the experience in the area I was trying to get to earlier.

I was not expecting a boss!

"Oh SHIT gargoyles."

"Wow these things are way weaker than before"

*Kills Two*

"Holy shit there's more than two"

*Nearly dies*

But I was victorious :)

And Finally I have the Bastille Key!

JLeack

Banned
I'm about 120 now, not sure if that would work with the weird SL requirements for coop. We can try the ring. Add me on Steam,
VictorM

I got impatient and decided to take two phantoms in. We decimated
The Rotten
. :)

Thanks, though!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't know if anyone has gotten the key to the top room of Drangelic Castle, but using that key felt really cool. Such a unique idea.

Stefan™;109757512 said:
I think (late boss/area spoiler)
encountering King Vendrick for the first time
is probably my favourite moment in the Soul series.

The moment with the
queen
was awesome. When she says something to the effect of "
We don't need two rulers anymore
" then is just silent afterward was stoic as fuck. I got chills.

IDK man after playing this for like 6 hours so far it doesn't feel like Dark Souls as much. The game play doesn't seem as smooth as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Your character just seems a lot slower, or has more weight to it, or something. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. Just give me all the content in DS2 and have it play exactly like the other 2 games.

You should put some points into adaptability. It really helped me feel at home with the game. Getting it up to ~20 is pretty well recommended.

What's with all the black ghosting around objects? it's really distracting

That's SSAO. I didn't check the actual shot but it's probably using the default in game implementation which isn't very good.

So many sexist messages next to female NPCs... It's one thing when they're actually kinda clever, but things like "Woman ahead therefore weakness: tight spot" getting 100+ votes is a bit depressing.

Yeah, that is prettttty gross. There have been a lot of em.

Man the
Shrine of Amana
area is dark souls 2's version of "the real dark souls begins here".

Yeah, that place ain't no joke. It seemed fine until I got to the second part, after the second bon fire. Shit gets serious real quick.

Found out how to burn the windmill in Earthen Peak. Didn't take long once you guys hinted at it, and there was a helpful note as well.

I can't figure out how to get to this item though!

You'll be able to later. From above.

I've just found the
Belfry Luna
zone and I don't "get" it, much like the forest in DS1. Practically as soon as I enter it's a 2v1 PVP with enemy NPC's to boot, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make any progress in the area without just going offline.

Genuinely, use more skill. The area is supposed to be tough and it's supposed to feel like passionate people are fighting to defend something you're trying to exploit. It ain't supposed to be easy.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
All these peeps saying
Shrine of Amana
is hard...

Should had seen it before it was nerfed. It was HELL ON EARTH.

Man I wish the ENB didn't give me crashes upon loading an area/going to someone's world/returning to my world. It looks so good and makes me sad to have to play it without those awesome effects.

What's with the big difficulty spike at
Iron Keep? Had to skip the Smelter Demon, and the whole area ahead is a bunch of archers with lightsabers and turtle dudes. I've lost like 50k souls to this area, and the fact that souls aren't an unlimited resource in this game is making me anxious.

And is this game way less flexible than Dark Souls? I played the first game like an action game, but Dark Souls II basically wants you to play it slow and with a shield. In fact, this feels more like Demons' Souls 2, since so few elements of Dark Souls have even been incorporated into it.

I just started this game and it's starting to get on my nerves. Feels like i get ambushed constantly, the only times I've been killed thus far happened because they put an enemy where I couldnt see it. Sort of feels like a one trick pony so far but I'll play some more tomorrow and try and get further.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
they don't really do that THAT often

just get in the habit of peeking around doors before you go through

people usually leave warning messages about ambushes, as well

Garcia

All these peeps saying
Shrine of Amana
is hard...

Should had seen it before it was nerfed. It was HELL ON EARTH.

I went through it earlier today. Very notorious difference between the 1st week and how it feels right now after the nerfing; it's a cakewalk. The original
Amana
was hellishly difficult, even with Co-op partners.

Sullichin

Iron Keep? Had to skip the Smelter Demon, and the whole area ahead is a bunch of archers with lightsabers and turtle dudes. I've lost like 50k souls to this area, and the fact that souls aren't an unlimited resource in this game is making me anxious.

And is this game way less flexible than Dark Souls? I played the first game like an action game, but Dark Souls II basically wants you to play it slow and with a shield. In fact, this feels more like Demons' Souls 2, since so few elements of Dark Souls have even been incorporated into it.

I haven't used a shield yet. Rolling is still better.

Lol. That was quite the experience in the area I was trying to get to earlier.

I was not expecting a boss!

"Oh SHIT gargoyles."

"Wow these things are way weaker than before"

*Kills Two*

"Holy shit there's more than two"

*Nearly dies*

But I was victorious :)

And Finally I have the Bastille Key!

Nice, beating that on the first try is impressive. According to stats, that is the 2nd leading killer in the game as far as bosses go.

Just had a weird moment in the Luna myself. I was getting invaded and dispatching them etc, then I saw a summon sign. Might as well get some help I figure. I summon them and they start attacking me and doing damage... What?!?! I know for certain it was not a Red sign and it clearly said Phantom. They were even in a white halo. I killed his ass for it, but I don't know how that happened?

Levyne

Banned
Nice, beating that on the first try is impressive. According to stats, that is the 2nd leading killer in the game as far as bosses go.

?

I'm a bit overleveled, haha. I had to go back since I missed the area earlier.

That's all I had time to do today. Tomorrow I try for great soul number 3.

HeelPower

Ha, I thought you were the one that really despised this game? I do think this game is gonna hold up a lot in the months and years to come. I just realized the shortcut in
Lost Bastille
that basically lets you skip
Run Sentinels
... Some crazy crap in this game.

nope nope not me.

I never despised this game at all. I had a few gripes with it(like constant teleporting to levelup) but the overall experience is quite fascinating.

I am liking it even more on my second playthrough. :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I've been playing duel wielding bastard swords, shield definitely isn't required. Gotta get them rolls.

Where do you get those stats from?

I beat em on the first try too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If you change from covenant A to B and back to A later, do you lose your progress in A?

JackEtc

Alright! I
beat the Last Giant
in The Forest of Giants!

...Now what? Is there another area I should go to next from Majula, or something else to do in the Forest of Giants? Seems like this game has no order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom