• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanius

So, I have never been invaded by a player. Nor have I ever been summoned (Am a Blue Sentinel) to defend a Way of the Blue player.

What gives? Is invading players not a common thing to do anymore?

Are you Human?
Are you sure you are not in the Company of Champions?

Boss give you so much souls that levelling is your last problem. Add the fact that levelling require less souls than previous games and the despawn mechanic became useless

Yeah but the faster leveling is mostly canceled by separating endurance into two stats and adding adaptability/agility. A single level has less of an effect than it did in DS1.

Also Health and Endurance scales more slowly after level 20, instead of having consistent gains all the way up to max.

So, I have never been invaded by a player. Nor have I ever been summoned (Am a Blue Sentinel) to defend a Way of the Blue player.

NG right. I think its got to do with Soul Memory. NG+ has plenty of invasions.

Vitor711

Is it just me or is Dex scaling completely gimped? I got through a fair portion of the game before re-rolling a Strength character to play with a friend and im now 1-2 shotting most enemies and just turtl'ing bosses with a shield... no roll required.

And Drangleic Armour is so OP for the point you get it.

I also dislike not having equip load tied to End. My usual DeS/DkS build was to max End and Dex, forget the rest. It's not working nearly as well.

Also, that armour is ridiculous. I'm still below 70% load with most of the pieces (never found the helm and using the katana knight's leggings as they're better) and it's so good.

I'm also horribly bored with my equipment. Between that and the fire sword/mace I got in the beginning, I've never had reason to switch. Had similar issues in DkS but not to this extent. Same armour for 10 hours+ and same weapons for 15 hours+. Meh. I want something new.

And is it just me or are the boss weapons awful? All the ones I have to trade just don't have stats worth anything. I'm thinking of re-rolling to str and trying out some of the heavier stuff. Never liked the low attack speed of the str weapons though but we'll see.

Also, had some major issues with
Smelter Demon
. Managed to dodge everything but his aoe move when close up is a stupid insta-kill if I'm below 100HP. It's ridiculous and seems to be random. Souls' bosses were always about pattern recognition but it's hard to dodge something that seems to be random. Also, if I dodge most of the combos he uses before that move, I'm left with barely any stamina. And I'm hitting for like 70 damage. This was the first fight that I felt 100% ok with coop-ing my way through.

Also, didn't help that
Lucatiel
glitched on two run-throughs of the boss. The NPC health bar was there, but they never followed me into the fog. No idea if they fell into the abyss or went gallivanting around trying to kill the archers nearby. Was somewhat annoying when I thought I had two summons with me but could only bring one into the arena.

Oh, and I mean this with as much bitterness as I can muster - f*ck the
knight on the narrow walkway in-between the two sets of stairs
nearby. Lost 40,000 souls because the ladder up there is apparently the one ledge that you cannot roll off/jump off. It was maddening. I can fall to my death in almost every corner of this level but the one time I try to use that to my advantage to create some space - NOPE. Also, despite pouring most of my points into End, I didn't have enough to block all of his hits, and the archer hits and then stagger him before he stabbed me to death. Not fun enemy placement. Felt extremely cheap when you're not rolling with any ranged spells and your bow does almost no damage.

Adaren

The Gutter was absolutely amazing. If Dark Souls 2 keeps up this level of quality, it may just surpass Dark Souls 1 as my favorite game of all time.

God damn that area was good.

HowZatOZ

Banned
arr to buy or not to buy a DS4. I really like the design, but the issues with the sticks got me worried :/
I've had mine for about two months and haven't had any problems. Got it second hand for $500 (Australia) with Ghosts as to boot, well worth the purchase and the controller is amazing.

well guys, I'm having my first problem launching Dark Souls II. Since this friday I could launch it perfectly, even using Durante's fix.. the thing is, earlier this morning I tried the ENB fix, I disables Durante's one and launched DS2, the thing is.. no image was displayed just the sound.

I just extracted the content of ENB's "wrapped" folder into the game's folder and now it doesn't work

what am I doing wrong?

Shinjica

In NG, red cracked orbs are rare and difficult to farm, so invasion are rare.

Really don't like the moveset of the halberd now, used to be my favorite weapon in DS1, feels bad man.

Anyone have any early / midgame weapon recommendations? Been using the Hiede knight sword and the mace pretty exclusively until now. Still pretty early but I am I'm at 20 STR and 14 DEX and don't love greatswords. Looking for a weapon to wield one handed with a shield preferably.

Arkanius

Steam says I played 52 hours.
32 of 38 achievements.

I want to smack myself in the head and do everything again.

Really don't like the moveset of the halberd now, used to be my favorite weapon in DS1, feels bad man.

Anyone have any early / midgame weapon recommendations? Been using the Hiede knight sword and the mace pretty exclusively until now. Still pretty early but I am I'm at 20 STR and 14 DEX and don't love greatswords. Looking for a weapon to wield one handed with a shield preferably.

Try the Greatswords. I feel they have a similar moveset with the stabbing long attack.

get the club and spend more into str.
it's a beast with a str build. :)

so. How exactly do I use boss souls to improve weapons? Does it happen automatically when improving a +10 weapon? Looks like the weapon ascension screen isn't there anymore.

Hm, I like the torch gameplay mechanic, but I don't like the limited nature of torches or the lack of explanation of how the system works.

There's an area where I wanted to go through with torches, despite losing my shield, and I had 3 of them. I was taking my time, not noticing at first that there was a timer ticking down. That, coupled with several deaths, and all my time ran out. There was no indication that I was actually using up all 3 of my torches at the same time. So now I have no torch anymore.

Feels lame, because it's a fun strategic choice whether to use it or not, but now I don't have the option anymore.. and there are none even for sale anywhere that I've seen.

Vitor711

so. How exactly do I use boss souls to improve weapons? Does it happen automatically when improving a +10 weapon? Looks like the weapon ascension screen isn't there anymore.

You trade the souls for items (with a small fee) with a specific NPC -
He's in Lost Bastille and you need to present him with a branch of forgotten yore which can be found in a chest just after the Lost Sinner fight. He also won't trade with you unless you have at least 3 int

Not really a spoiler: All of the weapons that can be found that way so far for me (20 hours in) are hot garbage with their base stats. Somewhat disappointing.

eot

Banned
The Gutter was absolutely amazing. If Dark Souls 2 keeps up this level of quality, it may just surpass Dark Souls 1 as my favorite game of all time.

God damn that area was good.

I like it too. A page or two ago someone said it didn't live up to the equivalent area in DkS, but I thought it was better. The torch stuff looks great.

14019776506_b2b6677bdd_o.png

I quite like my character's appearance. That leather shield is pretty good.

What chestpiece is that?

I think the low soft caps for vigor / endurance were smart. It means you don't completely overlevel areas just because you choose to do them later (that's still possible of course but with how non-linear the game is it could've been a huge problem).

Banzai

I was gonna complain about a bug turning my character male but...apparently theres a
gender switching coffin??
haha wtf

didnt notice it for a while because of armour, too.

Mistel

Banned
NOPE. Also, despite pouring most of my points into End, I didn't have enough to block all of his hits, and the archer hits and then stagger him before he stabbed me to death. Not fun enemy placement. Felt extremely cheap when you're not rolling with any ranged spells and your bow does almost no damage.
Are you not using a 100% block shield? Or even a great shield?

The knights and captains are a pain the first time around but once you get a great bow they're easy to dispatch.

zkylon

zkylewd
man that chariot boss is pretty frustrating

like it wouldn't be hard if it didn't sometimes bullshit hit me inside the hiding thingies but that really makes for a lot of treks back through the bridge and the tall dudes

really if the hiding places did actually hide you 100% of the times that fight would be cake

Vitor711

Are you not using a 100% block shield? Or even a great shield?

The knights and captains are a pain the first time around but once you get a great bow they're easy to dispatch.

I am not. Still using the 50 Kite Shield (lvld up a bit).

Don't have the str for a larger shield. Although it might fit my playstyle better.

Zafir

man that chariot boss is pretty frustrating

like it wouldn't be hard if it didn't sometimes bullshit hit me inside the hiding thingies but that really makes for a lot of treks back through the bridge and the tall dudes

really if the hiding places did actually hide you 100% of the times that fight would be cake
Yeah I noticed that. Fortunately I had enough hp to take the occasional hits from inside the cubby hole.

I found the run up more tedious than the boss itself. Infact most areas so far for me I've found the run to the boss more tedious than the boss itself.

Jintor

The chariot boss isn't too bad himself, it's the fucking skeletons. Anything where you get swarmed in close quarters is a real pain, especially since your attack animations bounce of walls and leave you vulnerable but enemies never do

well I'm at No-Man's Wharf trying to beat the
ship boss. the thing is, I summoned Lucatiel, but I spent some time changing equipment and suddenly she disappeared, and now I can't summon her again, is there anyway to get her back?

Mistel

Banned
I am not. Still using the 50 Kite Shield (lvld up a bit).

Don't have the str for a larger shield. Although it might fit my playstyle better.
It would most certainly really. What's your strength? if it's 20 you could use the very light twin dragon greatshield.

Just when I thought the areas in this game were pretty underwhelming compared to DaS1, I get hit with No-Mans Wharf. What a cool level holy shit.

Vitor711

The chariot boss isn't too bad himself, it's the fucking skeletons. Anything where you get swarmed in close quarters is a real pain, especially since your attack animations bounce of walls and leave you vulnerable but enemies never do

Oh man I HATE this. It's ridiculous when the Ironclads will swing their clubs horizontally in a tight corridor and still get off an attack. However, I can't use the second swing of my mace because it 'glances' off the side of the wall.

For a game so highly regarded for being 'tough but fair', I dislike being subjected to rules that enemies can ignore.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I noticed that. Fortunately I had enough hp to take the occasional hits from inside the cubby hole.

I found the run up more tedious than the boss itself. Infact most areas so far for me I've found the run to the boss more tedious than the boss itself.
well the running to the boss part is kind of the souls staple. in this case it's kind of annoying cos i can't reliably just run past everything and the big guys take way too long to kill.

i'm playing a pretty low health character so if it randomly hits me once then i'm dead :/

i'd actually enjoy the fight if it weren't for that, skellies are kind of annoying but it's a pretty unique bossfight at least.

i can usually stay alive until the chariot sweeps them over and i'm using a rapier so no issues there, but they've taken me out a couple times.

haven't been able to defeat it as phantom either. i'm kinda skipping a couple areas but i dunno, i feel like fighting it now

Oh man I HATE this. It's ridiculous when the Ironclads will swing their clubs horizontally in a tight corridor and still get off an attack. However, I can't use the second swing of my mace because it 'glances' off the side of the wall.

For a game so highly regarded for being 'tough but fair', I dislike being subjected to rules that enemies can ignore.
yeah, every souls game i go into hoping they'll fix this but they seem to be cool with it being uneven for you and enemies

i think it would be pretty cool if enemies had maybe different moves on tight corridors

Vitor711

It would most certainly really. What's your strength? if it's 20 you could use the very light twin dragon greatshield.

I'm trying to get it to 20 now. End, Dex and Adaptability are all around 30. Vigor is 25. I think, can't remember but it's about that.

How much does it cost to use a Soul Vessel and respec? Kinda tempted. Using Dragleic Armour anyway so I might as well go full tank.

You trade the souls for items (with a small fee) with a specific NPC -
He's in Lost Bastille and you need to present him with a branch of forgotten yore which can be found in a chest just after the Lost Sinner fight. He also won't trade with you unless you have at least 3 int

Not really a spoiler: All of the weapons that can be found that way so far for me (20 hours in) are hot garbage with their base stats. Somewhat disappointing.

awesome thanks. That's actually the area i'm in now. fucking
Ruin Sentinels

Atrophis

Doors of wasted lockstones. Seriously, this place is kinda annoying. Wasted the 3 lockstones I had for nothing. Standard trolling from From. Will you get access to a new area, a nice item or small hole with nothing but a standard enemy? Play the lockstone lottery now!

Also, is there a boss in
The Gutter
?

I have never had as many unfair deaths as I have in this game, I always felt I was at a disadvantage and that kind of takes away from what makes these games fun.

I had one that thanks to shadowplay I got recorded it just makes me sad when it happens. Its the things like this that turn the difficulty into a slog rather than a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FGmFiF53Y

It's awesome that there's such a big community, you put down a summon sign and are summoned almost immediately. Great stuff.

Question about the forest of fallen giants area:

So I climbed a ladder and a giant crow dropped this huge knight. I was still very weak at that point so I ran away like a little bitch and the knight disappeared. Now I can't get him to spawn again. How do I make the bastard show up again?

zkylon

zkylewd
i think my problem with the chariot dude is that i'm moving too slow from hiding place to hiding place

i think i could probably get a lot faster to the necromancers if i just were a bit more greedy and tried for one or two more hiding places before settling in

So I climbed a ladder and a giant crow dropped this huge knight. I was still very weak at that point so I ran away like a little bitch and the knight disappeared. Now I can't get him to spawn again. How do I make the bastard show up again?

don't worry. you will see him soon again. ;)

Mistel

Banned
I'm trying to get it to 20 now. End, Dex and Adaptability are all around 30. Vigor is 25. I think, can't remember but it's about that.

How much does it cost to use a Soul Vessel and respec? Kinda tempted. Using Dragleic Armour anyway so I might as well go full tank.
A greatsword like the bastard would help immensely for a tank play style. Respecs are free so no cost.

And armor wise keep a look out for Alonne Captain gear it's very good and right up your alley if your going tank.

2AdEPT

It's awesome that there's such a big community, you put down a summon sign and are summoned almost immediately. Great stuff.

unfortunately that was your one and only chance for that particular encounter...never shy away from a fight that close to the bonfire!

well I'm at No-Man's Wharf trying to beat the
ship boss. the thing is, I summoned Lucatiel, but I spent some time changing equipment and suddenly she disappeared, and now I can't summon her again, is there anyway to get her back?

She might have fallen off a ledge, in which case you would probably need to rest at a bonfire to summon her again.

Vuze

You will see him again sooner than you'd like eventually :D

I seriously lost my shit at this particular encounter. I tried to fight the hollow next to it, just saw the crow, was like wtf and got wrecked by the big boy from behind lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom