• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitor711

Captain is just a helm and torso that go with the knight set. You might as well especially if your going that way there's some good weapons in those classes. If you don't like them try maces.

I do really like my mace to be fair. Now that I've upgraded it as you suggested, it staggers the Alonne Knights in one hit and I can kill them so fast.

I miss my old lightning spear from DkS though. Haven't found anything as useful. Used the Gargoyle Soul to make that funky looking boss spear but it's so weak. I'm also not sure if I can block and prod like before because the animation when attacking looks like I'm dropping my shield down. Although, with the amount of stamina each hit takes, I'm hoping that still works.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like being forced to tinker in an item menu that doesn't pause the game. Especially if both my weapons suddenly flash a warning sign without my expecting it. It's annoying and adds little to the game.

But But you can always check your weapon's durability :( If it's getting low, either repair, switch or prepare to die(TM).

But yeah, of course I get your point. I just don't think it's that much of an issue, especially with the forementioned ring.

Jintor

Can't stop thinking someone at from took the "ZA WARUDO" meme too seriously...

I got something like this happening yesterday with one of the plunge attacks from those fucking Ruin Sentinels. Hopefully I managed to beat them with the power of jolly cooperation. I shudder thinking about this fight on my own unless I have OP equipment.

striking gear will do fine. Take care of gamma sentinel on the ledge and don't fall off. From there deal as much damage as possible to the first jumper, don't die from falling, drink potion, and try and crowd control the two as much as possible. They telegraph most of their long range attacks very clearly so as long as you have a decent shield you'll be okay.

Just managed to beat the no mans wharf boss first time. I decided to skip the house and come back later.

This game though it makes my heart beat out of my chest like no other.

Jintor

Pretty sure it does, but also have to make sure you are in either the
Lost Bastille
or
Iron Keep
for the ring to work. Anywhere else, and summoning won't work even if you have the ring on.

Nah man, I've been summoned from Majula, from the Flame Tower, from the Woods, from pretty much anywhere.

So I see there is a ring that allows you to play with actual friends? How does that work exactly. Can you play the whole game coop or what? Also I notice you cannot summon or put down soap stone in some areas e.g. right before the
rat boss(s)
?

Mistel

Banned
I do really like my mace to be fair. Now that I've upgraded it as you suggested, it staggers the Alonne Knights in one hit and I can kill them so fast.

I miss my old lightning spear from DkS though. Haven't found anything as useful. Used the Gargoyle Soul to make that funky looking boss spear but it's so weak. I'm also not sure if I can block and prod like before because the animation when attacking looks like I'm dropping my shield down. Although, with the amount of stamina each hit takes, I'm hoping that still works.
Yep I've got a nice pair of them. There's some spears that are far better than the bident.

zkylon

zkylewd
014DC643B42201F742E9F557D4B17BF521C7F7ED

ok, FUCK YEA, the chariot is dead

after a lot of failures at a very early stage i chilled out like watching tv and came back. still failed over and over again but slowly getting some ideas (it's very late and i'm not the smartest person right now). so i was pretty hollow so figured i'd just put the soapstone down at the bonfire and see if anyone wants help with skelly dudes since they're much easier, but turned out it was liek a full mage party against chariot. one of the mages died but we managed to beat the damn thing. first time i beat it, phantom or no phantom, so with my new human body i'm wondering if i should use the opportunity to summon someone for help or try one more time

i think about it for a bit, then just fuck it, one more time 1v1, this time with some strategy (
nothing too fancy, just spend some time killing the skellies and cut it a lot closer rather than just stand still getting my guard broken while the skellies push me out of the hiding alcove
) and it worked!

this was my first big dark souls moment, the rush is real :3

Jintor

Annoyed at how difficult I found the chariot boss. I wonder if they changed him at all from the network test - I managed to kick his ass there pretty easily.

zma1013

Annoyed at how difficult I found the chariot boss. I wonder if they changed him at all from the network test - I managed to kick his ass there pretty easily.

Seemed exactly the same as the network test to me. I beat him in the exact same way. Perhaps you were at a different level with different abilities and damage compared to network test?

Jintor

Seemed exactly the same as the network test to me. I beat him in the exact same way. Perhaps you were at a different level with different abilities and damage compared to network test?

Yeah... I was at a higher level with more options and found it way more difficult, lol.

Maybe it was because I knew what I had to do the moment I stepped into the arena and still died like 8 times. I probably died like 20 times during the network test but it didn't FEEL difficult because it was all a process of discovery

That never happened to me, did you use him in the boss fight per chance? (I think he may disappear from there if you summon him and go back right after without resetting the area)

Yep. Although, I saved and quit when I noticed he wasn't there. He didn't come back until I was hollow. I know they kept the NPC movements the same as DS1 because I did that with Licia after I exhausted her dialogue in Heide's Tower of Flame. I can't remember if I rested at the bonfire after the bossfight or not :\

zkylon

zkylewd

well second stage is still really easy, it's just that there seems to be a bit of luck involved in managing not getting swarmed too easily and also having enough stamina to kill the necromancers and still shield against the skellies that run towards you.

and actually some of the enemies on the way to the boss stopped respawning which made the run a bit less annoying

i really like that change, it's kinda sad that if you die with a lot of souls you can lose a lot of farm that you can't get back but the game seems to give you tons of souls anyways

This will explain all.. (still got 2 mins of processing left)

http://youtu.be/HZB-H0EVlcs

Welcome back Dark Souls 2
this looks nice but transitions seem way too hard and i really don't wanna play the whole game with the torch up

as a game mechanic when it's outside of a gimmick dungeon it feels like it would get really annoying really fast

torches aren't even that common in the game (i have only like 40 minutes and i played for like 25 hours)

HoosTrax

Yeah... I was at a higher level with more options and found it way more difficult, lol.

Maybe it was because I knew what I had to do the moment I stepped into the arena and still died like 8 times. I probably died like 20 times during the network test but it didn't FEEL difficult because it was all a process of discovery
Is it just me, or does it seem like getting to him in the first place is particularly annoying? Between the BDSM guys standing on the pillars and the "guy" waiting for you at the fog gate.

Jintor

Is it just me, or does it seem like getting to him in the first place is particularly annoying? Between the BDSM guys standing on the pillars and the "guy" waiting for you at the fog gate.

Eh. The BDSM guys weren't too bad - you can bait them all pretty easily and they die to one backstab, more or less. Big guy was more annoying but he's slow and you only have to fight him once.

Vitor711

But But you can always check your weapon's durability :( If it's getting low, either repair, switch or prepare to die(TM).

But yeah, of course I get your point. I just don't think it's that much of an issue, especially with the forementioned ring.

Which is fine, if you find the ring. I don't have it. Neither did I know it existed until now.

If your argument is that things are fine because there exists an item that basically nullifies an entire game system, then I'd suggest that maybe that game system shouldn't be there to begin with.

Even as is for my character build and equipment, durability isn't much of a pain for me to deal with. Which makes me wonder why it received this change at all. It's just irritating.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah, pretty much. the tall guys aren't so hard if you lure them out one by one, and stone ring with flame sword staggered them on every hit so they were pretty easy, but sometimes they all triggered at the same time for some random reason and it's anor londo all over again lol

Which is fine, if you find the ring. I don't have it. Neither did I know it existed until now.

If your argument is that things are fine because there exists an item that basically nullifies an entire game system, then I'd suggest that maybe that game system shouldn't be there to begin with.

Even as is for my character build and equipment, durability isn't much of a pain for me to deal with. Which makes me wonder why it received this change at all. It's just irritating.

yea i'm not a big fan of the new durability either

seems to force you to have a backup weapon at all times and basically turns some weapons useless (like the dex halberd i was trying that lasted like 20 hits).

it's been manageable so far but it feels unnecessary. dks1's durability wasn't so good either, but it was just a money sink, so at least nobody gave a shit about it

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, I was fine with it before I found the ring, too. It doesn't break the system either, it's just a few more hits at a wall per weapon.
I guess it got changed because a) bonfires/repair everywhere, b) to make players use different stuff, c) to make them aware of where they use which weapons to minimize wall-hitting and d) because it was pretty much a non-system in DS1.

eot

Banned
About something in Black Gulch
Man, those giants aren't messing around. It doesn't seem like you can block their attacks even with a greatshield. I tried fighting them fair a bunch of times but had to resort to hopping in and out of one of those holes. Then, creepy oldguy in a chair. No idea what's up with that.

Jintor

It's really irritating where I am. Half the enemies are stone and I swear they chip weapons faster. My shield gave out while I was fighting the boss :<

Someone talk me through infusing weapons. If I have low int/faith, should I just avoid it? I think by the numbers the weapons end up doing more base damage than prior but suffer large scaling penalties, but I want to check.

Man, those giants aren't messing around. It doesn't seem like you can block their attacks even with a greatshield. I tried fighting them fair a bunch of times but had to resort to hopping in and out of one of those holes. Then, creepy oldguy in a chair. No idea what's up with that.

They're no joke.

That guy
is in a few locations and I think you get something from him if you meet him all times

So what do I upgrade next? I was thinking end and strength.

Is the tower shield worth putting it all in strength? I want to be a tank basically eventually I want to find a sword similar to that of the Zweihander in DaS1 and wield it one handed.

Grief.exe

I watched a bit of ENB's latest video and he pumped ADB up to 20 for 'better frames' I'm assuming that is i-frames.

Should I be pumping ADB a bit?

He also was super excited to be playing the PC version and said he is never going back to the consoles lol.

Question, can you guys give me a hint as to where to get sunlight blade? Is there a lower level version? as my Faith is at 28 right now.

Giants in Black Gulch? Where?

Dipper145

So I see there is a ring that allows you to play with actual friends? How does that work exactly. Can you play the whole game coop or what? Also I notice you cannot summon or put down soap stone in some areas e.g. right before the
rat boss(s)
?

This happens in certain locations because
me and my rat covenent brethren are waiting to summon you and kill you for our rat king overlord.

HoosTrax

The only time I've had things break are 1) running into corrosive clouds/pools, and 2) soloing the 3 ruin sentinels -- took so long between me turtling and getting off a couple hits at a time with a mace, that my shield was broken by the time it was all said and done.

(I've never used the ring)

zkylon

zkylewd

Is the tower shield worth putting it all in strength? I want to be a tank basically eventually I want to find a sword similar to that of the Zweihander in DaS1 and wield it one handed.
adaptability makes you roll better, so it's the best stat in the game

i'd pump that up to like 20 or something

I watched a bit of ENB's latest video and he pumped ADB up to 20 for 'better frames' I'm assuming that is i-frames.

yea dude adaptability rocks

I just want to leave work and play some Dark Souls. I'm jealous of those of you on my friends list putting in 30-40 hours over the weekend.

Just managed to beat the no mans wharf boss first time. I decided to skip the house and come back later.

This game though it makes my heart beat out of my chest like no other.

Yup agree. Even walking around is tense.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

He also was super excited to be playing the PC version and said he is never going back to the consoles lol.

Question, can you guys give me a hint as to where to get sunlight blade? Is there a lower level version? as my Faith is at 28 right now.

Giants in Black Gulch? Where?
If you watched his latest video, he walks through where to get it. It's in Shrine of Amana. There is no lower level version, but you can lower the faith requirement with skeptic's spice. And absolutely go ADP if you are melee, it makes a huge different on rolls. I also highly recommend staying under 50% equip burden.

EDIT: Giants in Black Gulch
can be accessed by dropping onto a small ledge near where the first oil pits and eel things are. Use a torch after clearing out the enemies to see it.

Grief.exe

If you watched his latest video, he walks through where to get it. It's in Shrine of Amana. There is no lower level version, but you can lower the faith requirement with skeptic's spice. And absolutely go ADP if you are melee, it makes a huge different on rolls. I also highly recommend staying under 50% equip burden.

EDIT: Giants in Black Gulch
can be accessed by dropping onto a small ledge near where the first oil pits and eel things are. Use a torch after clearing out the enemies to see it.

What area is the shrine after? I'm guessing it is
the area I just unlocked next to the Things Betwixt exit in Majula

I always roll with a torch in Black Gulch! I'll make sure to check that out.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What area is the shrine after? I'm guessing it is
the area I just unlocked next to the Things Betwixt exit in Majula

I always roll with a torch in Black Gulch! I'll make sure to check that out.
It's a fair way into the game, you won't see it until you have defeated 'the four' and visited
Drangleic Castle
. It's accessed directly after a certain boss fight
Looking Glass Knight

This will explain all.. (still got 2 mins of processing left)

http://youtu.be/HZB-H0EVlcs

Welcome back Dark Souls 2
I can't even fathom how you're meant to do the Gutter & Black Gulch with those settings. Truly a hardcore experience.

Mistel

Banned

Endurance and strength are good things to raise for you then. You can get a zweihander don't you fret.

HoosTrax

I'm a little confused about the i-frames. I had some trouble with this during the Iron King fight as well as rolling past the mage projectiles in Amana Shrine, where the correct timing of the dodges weren't apparent to me. When am I invincible during the roll? Should I time my rolls to be right as I'm about to get hit, or before (such as when the enemy in question in starting his swing or when projectiles are in front of me).

Basically the mechanics aren't quite clear to me.

Booshka

Take your Strength to 30 and upgrade the Tower Shield, and use the Greatsword. Both are heavy but really good for tanky builds. Greatsword is huge and does a ton of damage. Upgrades really well with STR too, so it's not a terrible idea to take your STR to 40 for the Scaling.

Zweihander is in this game, but I feel the Greatsword is the new king in Ultra Greatswords.

HildyB

Just killed the
Pursuer, got taken back to Bastille, picked up a ring + key then hit a dead end. Not sure where to go now :/

Have you taken on
Dragon Rider in tower of flame
? Once there head in and
down the tower to the nightmare that is the wharf. That will take you to a new section of Bastille.

Gbraga

ADP is great, get it to 20 (unless you're going with a sorcerer, then use ATT instead).

22 is perfect, but 20 is enough.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm a little confused about the i-frames. I had some trouble with this during the Iron King fight as well as rolling past the mage projectiles in Amana Shrine, where the correct timing of the dodges weren't apparent to me. When am I invincible during the roll? Should I time my rolls to be right as I'm about to get hit, or before (such as when the enemy in question in starting his swing or when projectiles are in front of me).

Basically the mechanics aren't quite clear to me.
For spells, you should roll just before you're about to get it. In the shrine I recommend wearing a spell quartz ring and other magic resistance gear, sniping using a bow, and if you are close to a mage I would just eat a single hit and then take them down. Less risky than dodging when you don't know where the ledges under the water end.

For swings it really just depends on the type of attack. Timing isn't something you can universally decree for every enemy, it depends on the direction of their swing and whether it has AOE damage etc. Just have to practice. Make sure you have ~22 adaptability and equip burden under 50% for a longer roll with more i-frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom