• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Adaptability affects both Poise and Agility. Poise is pretty pathetic in Dark Souls 2, but if you're planning on absorbing blows with your shield, it can still make a difference on the margins. Agility is valuable because even if you're a tank, you're going to want to dodge from time to time. Put 16-20 into Adaptability and see how that feels.

Cheers, I put a couple in and the rest in vitality.

I do t think I can use the great sword its durability seems horrible. My homunculus mace seems to hold up a lot better.

Sanic

I'm playing a melee build (Knight) and i'm still using what I believe is the starting broadsword. Is there anything better I could have come across in the first two areas? I'm starting to struggle as I get further into
heide's tower of flame
, as I feel i'm outputting too little damage.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Found this post regarding SweetFX and VAC

SweetFX does not inject data into the EXE of the game.

While people call the shader mods injectors, they are not code injectors in the original meaning of the word, in that they do not inject code into another process, but have their own separate process.

SweetFX is a set of shaders that run using the InjectSMAA dlls which is a Direct3D proxy dll that redirects the Direct3D render surface to another surface and then runs an extra shader pass on that surface before returning the output to the backbuffer.

VAC rules does not explicitly state that this is allowed, but neither does it state that this is not allowed.

Since Valve have never explicitly stated that it is allowed, it remains a grey area, but in the two years that such shader mods have existed no one have ever been banned for using them.

VAC seems to only detect things which can be used to cheat and shader mods such as FXAA tool and SweetFX can not be used to cheat.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33502359&postcount=6

xBladeM6x

VAC is automated. My understanding is that it looks for the signatures of known hack programs in memory on your machine and silently bans people 2 weeks after it detects a hack.

For all we know, it won't think GeDoSaTo is a hack tool and no one will be banned for using it.

Once VAC banned, is it ever possible to be taken off of it, or are you just fucked forever? I might as well just stop playing, because if they are banning, I am fucked. I used GeDoSaTo and ENB, and I know the ENB uses .dll bullshit.

Thank fuck you posted this. I was about to be pissed beyond reason. :l

Jito

Banned
Just got to
Earthen Peak
after beating the
Jabba the Hutt
boss. Can't quite put my finger on what makes this easier than DS1, is it the increased amount of bonfires? I feel like every area has two bonfires at least and they're never that far apart.

Man, it's kinda messed up that it took me a little over a hundred soul levels before I figured out how to open illusion walls. This whole time I thought everyone was lying in their soapstone messages when it was only most of you jerks.

Yeah so how do you open them? The interact button reads the soapstone instead of opening the 'door'

HoosTrax

Not sure if it's comparable, but OSD injectors like Fraps and Rivatuner OSD (and its MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision derivatives) have never caused VAC issues.

Matteoj8

I'm playing a melee build (Knight) and i'm still using what I believe is the starting broadsword. Is there anything better I could have come across in the first two areas? I'm starting to struggle as I get further into
heide's tower of flame

You could maybe try rolling with the halberd...the guys in that area are a little tougher, but not too bad. Maybe try upgrading a bit?

Timu

Not sure if it's comparable, but OSD injectors like Fraps and Rivatuner OSD (and its MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision derivatives) have never caused VAC issues.
Screenshot/video recording programs like those have always been 100% safe.

Timu

Those programs are also used to alter the display to inject data like framerates, temperature, fan speed status, etc into the screen buffer.
Yep, I used those for years with Steam games that have VAC and never had any problem with them.=p

Zeliard

I just arrived at
The Gutter
and boy does it look like a bullshit area.

One of the best areas in the game since the torch is actually super useful there. I found it pretty enjoyable to navigate with a torch in one hand, despite it being far shorter and less intricate than
Blighttown, which is obviously what it's calling back to

kanuuna

I'm going to want to hear 'information' regarding the VAC ban status. It's been 2871 days since my last, and only registered VAC ban. Not being able to connect online, especially now during launch is painful.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the game is now officially VAC-secured. I hope mods, GeDoSaTo and ENB will still be a thing tho...

8r7xX.png
Also, adding this only after you've put out your game is disgusting. And possibly banning mods that are keeping this game afloat? Just stop.

Grief.exe

I believe they are on the same level as sweetFX/Gedosato/ENB in terms of DX9 injection.

Also, adding this only after you've put out your game is disgusting. And possibly banning mods that are keeping this game afloat? Just stop.

No one has ever been banned for an injection mod.

Likely, the VAC status was there from the beginning it just wasn't displayed.

You guys need to settle down, this likely doesn't effect anything.

One of the best areas in the game since the torch is actually super useful there. I found it pretty enjoyable to navigate with a torch in one hand, despite it being far shorter and less intricate than

I hate
the Gutter
. I'll never play it normally and explore it ever again. Every time I get there now I just use speedrun starts to get straight to
Gulch
. Can't believe people like it, torch mechanic or not.

Thank god there's not really anything important there.

HoosTrax

So what you're saying, is that GDST / ENB should be fine? :p
What I'm trying to say is that if they do VAC ban for graphics mods, they would have to provide a good explanation on why one type of OpenGL / DirectX injector is apparently ok, but another, similarly innocuous type is not.

Facism

I believe they are on the same level as sweetFX/Gedosato/ENB in terms of DX9 injection.

No one has ever been banned for an injection mod.

Likely, the VAC status was there from the beginning it just wasn't displayed.

You guys need to settle down, this likely doesn't effect anything.

based durante had a post somewhere that gedosato might get you banned in VAC games. I need to find it.

didamangi

heide's tower of flame

Upgrade your weapon via the blacksmith in Majula if you haven't done it. I'm playing a knight as well and 30 hours into the game I'm still running around with my Broadsword +10, haven't met a roadblock yet so keep at it.
I find that the Mace and Halberd useful as well if you want some alternatives.

Can't quite put my finger on what makes this easier than DS1, is it the increased amount of bonfires? I feel like every area has two bonfires at least and they're never that far apart.

I'll probably change my tune later, but bonfires so far have seemed very common and obviously placed; it feels different from Dark Souls 1. I think the bountiful bonfires have made me play Dark Souls 2 in a different manner than I played Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 2, I've been much more brave and courageous when it comes to outmaneuvering enemies and exploring areas. There have been few true threats, aside from bosses and the ever-present bottomless cliffs/oceans.

There's one location I saw today where, from one bonfire, I could clearly see another bonfire in the distance; it was a surreal experience.

Anyone know how to get this treasure down after defeating the boss?

There is a body hanging from this tree and I don't see an option to knock the tree down.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468682266859886950/85C24CD1C9262944557F937B8A89A94076523B7D/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/468682266859885491/AC2A6C874738C0AA5AF7A1F21DF121A92E6C7745/

Couple of shots there
Only the boss can knock it down, so you can't get it now. It's only a couple of Flame Butterflies though.

impact

Banned
Hey guys, make sure not to miss the
Pilgrims of the Dark
PvE covenant. Some awesome fights in here.

Finishing some stuff up and trying to find spells before I move onto NG+

Only the boss can knock it down, so you can't get it now. It's only a couple of Flame Butterflies though.

Oh, also in that general area...

There is this scorpion like character that only responds with "?" There were a couple of hints before that said try with ring. Any idea if it's worth the trouble to bother with that guy and what ring do I need?

Atrophis

I thought I was the only crazy who really liked that area. When I first entered and saw the name and the fog I was all "nope" and ran back the way I'd come but it really shows how effective the torch mechanic can be. I'd not want the whole game like that but its fun for a few areas.

Grief.exe

based durante had a post somewhere that gedosato might get you banned in VAC games. I need to find it.

Sure, it's possible. Same with the SweetFX injector, it isn't specifically banned but there is no mention of their approval either.

Sure, you can get banned just like you can get banned for using a VPN to activate your game early. Just Valve has never set a precedent for banning while using such programs.

Never.

Zeliard

I hate
the Gutter
. I'll never play it normally and explore it ever again. Every time I get there now I just use speedrun starts to get straight to
Gulch

To put it in context, I also loved two much-reviled Dark Souls 1 areas - Tomb of the Giants and the Crystal Cave. I dig those sorts of trepidatious areas.

And in Dark Souls 2 I would have really preferred more areas where the torch was useful enough to strongly consider using it. Having good reason to give up your left hand for a torch is a neat concept, since virtually everyone uses their left hand in some capacity for either defensive or offensive purposes.

Oh, also in that general area...

There is this scorpion like character that only responds with "?" There were a couple of hints before that said try with ring. Any idea if it's worth the trouble to bother with that guy and what ring do I need?

If you talk to him before the boss, you can summon him. If you talk to him now you'll get an item, and you can get get another really good item from him after you defeat the last boss your current path leads you to. YOu can buy a certain ring from the cat in Majula. Should be obvious which one.

Grief.exe

I hate
the Gutter
Gulch

The Gutter is awesome. I loved picking my way through the feeble light from my torch.

This guy looks intimidating.

AnnTiPa

Is the general consensus here on GAF still that the Dark Souls 2 OST is weaker than the first one? I'm nearly through my second playthrough and decided to listen both OSTs and to my surprise I realized that the second one actually has as many memorably pieces as the first one. I did prefer the first one's soundtrack but now I think that all those epic background choirs might have mislead me. (I do love those). Now that the choir is less overwhelming there's more space for other things which might not be quite as easy to follow when you're concentrating on the fight.

Dark Souls OST
Dark Souls 2 OST

Majula is on par with Firelink Shrine. Boss name spoilers;
Old Dragonslayer, Ruin Sentinel, Skeleton Lord, The Duke's Dear Freja, Ancient Dragon and Nashandra
are excellent. I feel that even the rest fit better thematically with their bosses. The first one definitely has it's share of memorably pieces; Iron Golem, O&S, Sif, Seath and Gwyn are all are great but I don't think they are superior to the ones of DS2.

I do recommend you quickly browse through those two OSTs. You might be surprised.

To put it in context, I also loved two much-reviled Dark Souls 1 areas - Tomb of the Giants and the Crystal Cave. I dig those sorts of trepidatious areas.

And in Dark Souls 2 I would have really preferred more areas where the torch was useful enough to strongly consider using it. Having good reason to give up your left hand for a torch is a neat concept, since virtually everyone uses their left hand in some capacity for either defensive or offensive purposes.

I loved both of these areas.
Gutter
just broke me. I wanted to explore everything on my own and saw so many items shining in the distance that I couldn't reach and fell to my death a thousand times trying to get to them. I just never want to see it again. I think the best area with a torch mechanic is
Amana. You can see the edges of the ground much more easily, but you'll aggro all the sleeping demons around you.

zma1013

I hate
the Gutter
Gulch

I love the place but I can see how not everyone would enjoy it.

Just to share, one of my most memorable moments in there wasn't even anything I did. A guy invaded me while I was standing at the first bonfire and it spawned him very far away from me and he ended up getting lost and ran around the entire place trying to find a way to get back to me and I just sat back and watched him for 10 minutes running all over the place until finally he mysteriously died. It was easy to keep track of him since he glowed bright red in the darkness. I'm going to guess that's the last time he invaded that area.

Sullichin

Is the general consensus here on GAF still that the Dark Souls 2 OST is weaker than the first one? I'm nearly through my second playthrough and decided to listen both OSTs and to my surprise I realized that the second one actually has as many memorably pieces as the first one. I did prefer the first one's soundtrack but now I think that all those epic background choirs might have mislead me. (I do love those). Now that the choir is less overwhelming there's more space for other things which might not be quite as easy to follow when you're concentrating on the fight.

Dark Souls OST
Dark Souls 2 OST

Majula is on par with Firelink Shrine. Boss name spoilers;
Old Dragonslayer, Ruin Sentinel, Skeleton Lord, The Duke's Dear Freja, Ancient Dragon and Nashandra
are excellent. I feel that even the rest fit better thematically with their bosses. The first one definitely has it's share of memorably pieces; Iron Golem, O&S, Sif, Seath and Gwyn are all are great but I don't think they are superior to the ones of DS2.

I recommend you quickly browse through those two OSTs. You might be surprised.

Love the
Smelter Demon and Ruin Sentinel
themes and the Majula and load game music.

The Gutter is awesome. I loved picking my way through the feeble light from my torch.

This guy looks intimidating.

He's a bro, leave him alone. :(

Just to share, one of my most memorable moments in there wasn't even anything I did. A guy invaded me while I was standing at the first bonfire and it spawned him very far away from me and he ended up getting lost and ran around the entire place trying to find a way to get back to me and I just sat back and watched him for 10 minutes running all over the place until finally he mysteriously died. It was easy to keep track of him since he glowed bright red in the darkness. I'm going to guess that's the last time he invaded that area.

I tried to invade in
Gulch
once, because I assumed that the poison statues wouldn't react to you. Never again.

DrTeflon

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the game is now officially VAC-secured. I hope mods, GeDoSaTo and ENB will still be a thing tho...

8r7xX.png

Ugh, I dunno. Not taking any chances. Although I used sweetFX before, it was when I barely had 300 games, nowadays? Yup, uninstalling everything until someone can confirm is ok to use it

You sure this wasn't an NPC invasion? There is one down there near the bonfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom