• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of lion men, does Curse even do anything in this game? Did they completely nerf it? I can't tell that it has any noticeable effect.

Curse makes you "die." Your health bar is penalized and you turn hollow looking.

I haven't witnessed anyone be petrified, though I have seen the online statues of other players, but I don't know what causes it, maybe being cursed when you are at maximum hollow, 50% health.

HoosTrax

Im having a lot of trouble with
the gargoyles
in the belfray, any tips?

I tried summoning a phantom and that helped a whole lot and I almost beat em, but now whenever I try and summon it says no longer available and before it refreshes im invaded by 2 people who lay waste to me, every time. idk why.
A new one spawns whenever one of them reaches half health, so manage your DPS accordingly. If a new one is starting to spawn, quickly finish off the half health one. There should never be more than two and a half active at one time. Use a strike weapon with lightning infusion.

A new one spawns whenever one of them reaches half health, so manage your DPS accordingly. If a new one is starting to spawn, quickly finish off the half health one. There should never be more than two and a half active at one time. Use a strike weapon with lightning infusion.

Ah awesome i have a few of the item that infuses my weapon with lightening, ill give it a shot thanks

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck this game. Continued playing right when I came back from work at six, now it's 11pm. Didn't even eat. Got through the Gutter though, and liked it a lot :D Then again I also loved Blighttown.

Isn't there a boss in there though? Got to Black Whatever and didn't see anything left to explore in the Gutter.

Grief.exe

Holy fuck this game. Continued playing right when I came back from work at six, now it's 11pm. Didn't even eat. Got through the Gutter though, and liked it a lot :D Then again I also loved Blighttown.

Isn't there a boss in there though? Got to Black Whatever and didn't see anything left to explore in the Gutter.

I didn't find one either.

Meia

I just want to throw this out there after finally spending time in the game after it FINALLY working today:

How do you fuck up a game like this after the first one? Am I the only one having a serious problem with the flat out delay/unresponsiveness of how you move/react to stuff? Is it because you now have to put points into other stats you didn't have to just to get the character to respond to the controls like it used to(there's a noticeable delay after attacking before you can dodge, when you defend and can dodge, etc that as near as I can tell wasn't present in DS1)?

Not to mention the difference in design where apparently facing multiple enemies at once is a norm now? What is this? :|

Booshka

Ah awesome i have a few of the item that infuses my weapon with lightening, ill give it a shot thanks

If you have pretty high STR, might be better to just use a Gold Pine Resin to get a Lightning buff stacked on top of the Pure physical damage.

You can't buff infused weapons with resins so you might actually get more damage with my suggestion.

the gargoyles

I tried summoning a phantom and that helped a whole lot and I almost beat em, but now whenever I try and summon it says no longer available and before it refreshes im invaded by 2 people who lay waste to me, every time. idk why.

I believe burning an effigy prevents invasions and such for an hour. someone else may need to confirm though.

Just so I understand the respawn limit, could you in theory:

A) Kill one enemy, return to bonfire, over and over until the enemy stops respawning(15 or whatever times) and then do this to the next enemy, and so on.

B) Alternately go on whole runs repeatedly until they hit respawn limit and technically take the max number of souls from the area.

This would take forever, I'm just wondering if it works.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just want to throw this out there after finally spending time in the game after it FINALLY working today:

How do you fuck up a game like this after the first one? Am I the only one having a serious problem with the flat out delay/unresponsiveness of how you move/react to stuff? Is it because you now have to put points into other stats you didn't have to just to get the character to respond to the controls like it used to(there's a noticeable delay after attacking before you can dodge, when you defend and can dodge, etc that as near as I can tell wasn't present in DS1)?

Not to mention the difference in design where apparently facing multiple enemies at once is a norm now? What is this? :|

If you're feeling like the controls are unresponsive you'll want to put some points into Adaptability (or Attunement, which also raises agility). The multiple enemies thing annoyed me at first as well, but I just made sure I had a weapon that could handle crowd control and tried to avoid getting swarmed whenever possible.

Answer to whether or not there is a boss in that area:
No.

You're not the only one to notice these issues.

Just so I understand the respawn limit, could you in theory:

A) Kill one enemy, return to bonfire, over and over until the enemy stops respawning(15 or whatever times) and then do this to the next enemy, and so on.

B) Alternately go on whole runs repeatedly until they hit respawn limit and technically take the max number of souls from the area.

This would take forever, I'm just wondering if it works.

It works. As a test, I did B at the Heidi's Tower of Flame, those old Knights have a 12(?) respawn limit though.

On a related note, I notice I'm being really antsy about soul management now since there's an actual hard limit to the number of souls you can get in an area during one playthrough. Not counting summons and co-op situations of course.

Meia

If you're feeling like the controls are unresponsive you'll want to put some points into Adaptability (or Attunement, which also raises agility). The multiple enemies thing annoyed me at first as well, but I just made sure I had a weapon that could handle crowd control and tried to avoid getting swarmed whenever possible.

And that's great when you probably have the tools to handle this multiple hours in. What the hell are you supposed to do at first?

1 Eustus Flask? Consumable healing items? You know why I think Dark Souls 1 was received as well as it was? It was tough as hell, but fair. Every death you learned something.

I've been sitting at half health for this latest stretch for awhile, and I'm not learning a thing. The same enemy that noticed my approach last time doesn't this time. When I backstab that one this time his friend nearby doesn't notice me, and the next time he will. What even is this?

I mean, I'm happy stats matter more I guess/do more things, but this was so not the way to go about it. Getting hitstunned with no way of attacking against 3 enemies at once without the means to thin them out ahead of time is the opposite of what the first game did.

Booshka

Beat the game yesterday. Level 139 and 54 hours in. Absolutely loved it. Now to mop up the king and do all other things before heading to ng+.

I am at about the same progression with my character, SL 135 just beat first playthrough on PC. Took me 15 hours though cuz I have already beat the game a couple times on 360. I am going to keep my character at SL 135, but I'd be willing to partake in some NG+ co op if you are up for it. One good thing about Soul Memory is that if you continue to level we can still connect because I will have similar SM.

Send me a f/r on Steam if you are interested, account name is xbl_Booshka. Any other active Souls GAF players can add me as well, I will be playing this game a good amount for the foreseeable future.

Timu

It might not have a boss.

OK so beat the
throne watcher/defender whatever in drangelic castle
but not sure what to do next? I also viewed
2 memories with ashen mist from big dragon

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was out all day and didnt play at all today :(

The boss of the zone is in Black Gulch (kinda like Quelag's Domain).

yatesl

The best thing about Dark Souls are the community messages.

ibecAc3bP4cFyp.gif

Full disclosure: I don't know how to optimise Gifs

Booshka

OK so beat the
throne watcher/defender whatever in drangelic castle
but not sure what to do next? I also viewed
2 memories with ashen mist from big dragon

There is another memory you need to go into and fight a boss. The item that boss gives you will allow you to fight the final boss back in Drangleic castle where you fought Watcher/Defender.

Durante

I bought the cat ring,
tried jumping into the hole in Majula again where the first attempt killed me, got to a bonfire, explored further, and suddenly got summoned as a grey phantom into someones world (I had no idea those even existed, amd still don't know why that happened). Had an extremely exciting fight with the dude and a few rats, he won with 10% HP left or so.

I really love this game.

I bought the cat ring,
tried jumping into the hole in Majula again where the first attempt killed me, got to a bonfire, explored further, and suddenly got summoned as a grey phantom into someones world (I had no idea those even existed, amd still don't know why that happened). Had an extremely exciting fight with the dude and a few rats, he won with 10% HP left or so.

I really love this game.

Welcome to the ratbros.

I bought the cat ring,

I really love this game.

There's a covenant that summons trespassers in certain areas into their world to be killed.

eot

Banned
Argh, I've been trying to get the crystal lizard in Huntsman's Copse for 20 minutes now, I can't get to it in time and range attacks just miss.

and suddenly got summoned as a grey phantom into someones world (I had no idea those even existed, amd still don't know why that happened). [/SPOILER]

That would be
Rat king Convenant... lets you summon people into your world when they enter that area in their worlds

Booshka

Argh, I've been trying to get the crystal lizard in Huntsman's Copse for 20 minutes now, I can't get to it in time and range attacks just miss.

I get it pretty consistently with a running attack that smashes the ground. You want to set yourself up so that you can get as close as possible up the pathway without scaring it, then run straight for it so that the very last bit of stamina you have is the running attack.

To get the
illusory rings
, is it generally easier to do it in a fresh NG run or in NG+?

I did my
no-death
run in a NG run, it was pretty easy. Remember, you can get cursed, it won't count as a death (I got cursed by
Nashandra
but still got the ring)

For the
no-bonfire
run, it's really REALLY easier in NG+ because you can prepare for it in advance and you can die however many times you want.

zma1013

the gargoyles

Try waiting just outside of where the fog door appears at the beginning of that level. You should still be able to see summon sign on that tiny bridge but not get invaded. Then when you see one, run in real quick and summon. If it doesn't work, quickly run back out and wait again.

elyetis

Well, couple hours in and at the moment I just.. don't enjoy most of what I'm playing. And it mostly comes down to the fact that it feel like DSII make 'pack' of monster simply too common, with what feel like an inferior way to deal with healing item.
Even as someone who loved demon's souls and still liked Dark souls ( but far less than DeS ), it's probably the first time I actually think they are using 'unfair' design to make the game harder.

eot

Banned
I get it pretty consistently with a running attack that smashes the ground. You want to set yourself up so that you can get as close as possible up the pathway without scaring it, then run straight for it so that the very last bit of stamina you have is the running attack.

Finally got him, thanks. Didn't think I had a weapon with a running overhead smash first which was part of the problem, but if I twohanded my club it had that move.

Well, couple hours in and at the moment I just.. don't enjoy most of what I'm playing. And it mostly comes down to the fact that it feel like DSII make 'pack' of monster simply too common, with what feel like an inferior way to deal with healing item.
Even as someone who loved demon's souls and still liked Dark souls ( but far less than DeS ), it's probably the first time I actually think they are using 'unfair' design to make the game harder.

Did you encounter the 'zerg rush' of ten swordsmen in Lost Bastille?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member

Buy a couple of Holy Water Urns from the Blue Sentinel Covenant Dude (not the one in Majula, aka: Way of the Blue).

Chuck 1 and the lizard is dead.

The best thing about Dark Souls are the community messages.

Full disclosure: I don't know how to optimise Gifs

I've come across similar messages. Very cute, I can't help but rate them.

Making messages (and having them rated) is a lot of fun; I ended up never using a message-creating item in Dark Souls 1 so it's great to experience it at last. Dark Souls 2's message system has grown on me as I've begun to find more uses for it and the only part of it that honestly confuses me is "horse" - I mean, what?

yatesl

I've come across similar messages. Very cute, I can't help but rate them.

Making messages (and having them rated) is a lot of fun; I ended up never using a message-creating item in Dark Souls 1 so it's great to experience it at last. Dark Souls 2's message system has grown on me as I've begun to find more uses for it and the only part of it that honestly confuses me is "horse" - I mean, what?

There was one near a bonfire, in a pitch black circle room. Right at the other end there was a message, "Pointless..." Made me laugh, as I knew it would be that - people would run round the entire room and find no hidden doors

Durante

I've written lots of messages, but I have a single "Liar ahead" message which has been rated more often than the rest of them combined.

I am at about the same progression with my character, SL 135 just beat first playthrough on PC. Took me 15 hours though cuz I have already beat the game a couple times on 360. I am going to keep my character at SL 135, but I'd be willing to partake in some NG+ co op if you are up for it. One good thing about Soul Memory is that if you continue to level we can still connect because I will have similar SM.

Send me a f/r on Steam if you are interested, account name is xbl_Booshka. Any other active Souls GAF players can add me as well, I will be playing this game a good amount for the foreseeable future.

I'm planning to level to 150 and stay there since it seems to be the new PvP level. Couldn't find your profile.

Add me CountAntonius

Also Made a PvP focused group if anyone is interested. We have 92 members.

Souls PvP

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
even tho I didnt play today, while reading the wiki out of boredom at work last night, I noticed I missed the
second blacksmith that trades
boss soul weapons, because the
one and ONLY petrified minotaur I didnt un-pretrifiy in shaded woods was the one that dropped the fucking key to the locked room where the blacksmith is... and I both ran past the minotaur, and the locked room >_>

Booshka

I've written lots of messages, but I have a single "Liar ahead" message which has been rated more often than the rest of them combined.

I think you can only have 10 active messages at a time, so you will eventually wipe out old messages with new ones. You can manage your messages and delete ones that aren't getting any hits, so you can preserve the ones that are. At least this was the case on Console, not sure if you can just throw down as many messages as you want on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom