• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
There's something weird going on with the guys who dual wield giant sickles. Most of the time when I backstab them I do about 450 damage and it instakills them, but on rare occasions I do 700 something damage and they don't die! It's happened several times.

Elixist

im havin fun with the game theres some great moments, but alot of the early stuff is really plain and boring looking, the first game is on another level compared to this , but its still good. Some of the time i feel like im playing a fan mod with like so many trash mobs that are 1 color and just thrown in there for the hell of it (hey its lumberjack zombie or Skyrim zombie) and environments that are Max Payne 1 level of polygons (Bastille) The first game really understood variety in enemies and fit them in where they made sense.

Man, Noman's Wharf is the first area that got me salty. First I got invaded by a cheater (dual whielding dragon's tooth with quick rolling, mmmmk) and then had a few stupid deaths. It's not a bad area though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im havin fun with the game theres some great moments, but alot of the early stuff is really plain and boring looking, the first game is on another level compared to this , but its still good. Some of the time i feel like im playing a fan mod with like so many trash mobs that are 1 color and just thrown in there for the hell of it (hey its lumberjack zombie or Skyrim zombie) and environments that are Max Payne 1 level of polygons (Bastille) The first game really understood variety in enemies and fit them in where they made sense.

I dont understand this argument at all. Dark Souls 1, you start in undead burg, a gray castle, full of 1 color skeletons... its the same shit!

-MD-

I dont understand this argument at all. Dark Souls 1, you start in undead burg, a gray castle, full of 1 color skeletons... its the same shit!

I don't get it either, all 3 of these Souls games are largely the same thing.

Man, Noman's Wharf is the first area that got me salty. First I got invaded by a cheater (dual whielding dragon's tooth with quick rolling, mmmmk) and then had a few stupid deaths. It's not a bad area though.

I must be missing something cause that area is really really easy for me and I've seen quite a few people say it's a pain. Someone said if you ring the bell you can get invaded (I think?) but I rang it twice and nothing, 14 hours no invasions.

Grief.exe

Interesting to see a denizen of the
Painted World of Aramias
in the Shaded Woods. Haven't found her house that she was referring to yet, I'm assuming it's in the next area.

Dark souls 2 doesn't show up on the recent players list on steam? Kind of a shame. I miss hate/respect mail after a fight on XBL. Probably the one downside on PC for me.

AmyS

i'm on i7 920 @ 4ghz and gtx 680 SLI

it only takes a performance hit if i'm using SGSSAA for anti aliasing. for some reason it makes the textures blurrier even though it smooths out the edges.

currently i'm running it with no AA at all and at 1080p i barely notice it. I'd prefer a constant 60fps and more detail than with the AA.

have a sample video here http://youtu.be/M5io31TaqJQ

while recording with dxtory it does drop my fps at times to 40~ range

Wow, it reminds me somewhat of the way the early version of Dark Souls II was. Really wish they had gone all-out for the PC version with the original lighting / darkness, shadows, particle effects and geometry, but I know that would be asking far too much given they were coming off a terrible port of the first DS.

Also check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6l5j4vZ3tY

Not sure if the same graphical enhancements are used, but it too looks amazing and also more like the E3 and TGS versions.

Elixist

im not that great with words, but I'll say it feels like DMC 1 to DMC 3 for me, DMC 1 everything felt cool interesting, the pacing for new stuff was very well done. DMC 3 more of the same with shitty environments (too much grey, too much flat) and less interesting versions of alot of the same enemies. The atmosphere is not on the same level.

DKs2 is still great and im enjoying it, as a whole it doesnt come together near as well for me is all.

Well, couple hours in and at the moment I just.. don't enjoy most of what I'm playing. And it mostly comes down to the fact that it feel like DSII make 'pack' of monster simply too common, with what feel like an inferior way to deal with healing item.
Even as someone who loved demon's souls and still liked Dark souls ( but far less than DeS ), it's probably the first time I actually think they are using 'unfair' design to make the game harder.

To be honest, I can't call any of the Souls games fair unless they actually explain their mechanics in-game. So much of the game is trial and error, aided only by a flimsy messaging system, and utterly broken by invaders or co-op summons. Although I don't think it's fair, I still manage to find the obfuscated nature of the Souls series fun, so I let it pass.

Dark Souls 2 is tackling the few avenues left for the encounter designs to take while still using the tried-and-true mechanics of the previous games. If From truly wanted to be unfair, there would be no enemies staying back to guard locations, no enemies falling off of cliffs, and a lot more dodging/reposting/blocking by said enemies. Betraying our expectations is something I've come to expect from Dark Souls and I'm glad that DS2 continues to follow this mantra.

The most interesting change I've noticed in DS2 is the increased focus on a warrior's panoply - having the right tool for the right job.

I think there was more I wanted to say, but my mind has wandered somewhere else. So, I'll end with a good, old fashioned "Jump, Here!"

Durante

Do you have to actually sit at a bonfire to activate it as a travel point? Or can I just light it and move on?
You can just light it. Really convenient when you are in coop.

Talking about coop, it's also incredibly convenient that you can now just sit at a bonfire without removing your summoning sign.

Edit: And one more thing about coop: what's up with people summoning random ringed players? If you're using the ring, you probably want to be summoned by someone specific and not a random person :p

onionfrog

(No Man's Wharf spoilers)
So I'm going through no man's wharf and I make it up to the ship. I try to lure out the Barbarians from the ship. I'm fighting them on the dock, I get ganged up on and one of them kicks me off the dock straight into the water where I die instantly!
thisIsDarkSouls.jpg
I dig that the AI is smarter in this one. Regular enemies never tried to knock me off a ledge in Dark Souls.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So I'm going through no man's wharf and I make it up to the ship. I try to lure out the Barbarians from the ship. I'm fighting them on the dock, I get ganged up on and one of them kicks me off the dock straight into the water where I die instantly!
thisIsDarkSouls.jpg
I dig that the AI is smarter in this one. Regular enemies never tried to knock me off a ledge in Dark Souls.

Enemies try to parry and riposte me way, way more in this than ever happened in Dark Souls 1.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so... since theres a black knight greataxe in the game, is the sword also in the game?

and most importantly,
is the armor set in the game? I miss it :(
Also where do you get
Havel's armor
, I know that one is in the game

A little confused on two things:

For the Belfrey Luna, I burnt a human effigy so I wouldn't get destroyed again. Before I make it to the first flight of stairs, someone's invading. Quickly followed by a second. I really want to knock out this area, but damn.... Is there no way to stop the invaders on this?

Also, why can I not use the white soapstone in some area's? I can do it every time to help out with the first boss, but not others?

I must be missing something cause that area is really really easy for me and I've seen quite a few people say it's a pain. Someone said if you ring the bell you can get invaded (I think?) but I rang it twice and nothing, 14 hours no invasions.

It was my first invasion, doesn't seem to happen often in this game. It was before ringing the bell though.

Also the area is really not that tough as long as you concentrate and stay focussed. (I guess that can be said about the whole game though). Hated the darkness, the annoying lurkers, falling into the water(lol) and getting overwhelmed by pirates.

Sullichin

thisIsDarkSouls.jpg

I think this is one of the hardest areas for where it's placed in any Souls game.

Rhaknar

A little confused on two things:

For the Belfrey Luna, I burnt a human effigy so I wouldn't get destroyed again. Before I make it to the first flight of stairs, someone's invading. Quickly followed by a second. I really want to knock out this area, but damn.... Is there no way to stop the invaders on this?

Also, why can I not use the white soapstone in some area's? I can do it every time to help out with the first boss, but not others?

wait that zone is an actual... zone zone? I thought it was just some pvp arena?

Durante

I agree that No Man's Wharf is the first hard area in the game.

I liked it in the end though, lots of stuff to explore,
the first magic vendor finally
and it was awesome to see how much it changed when
you light it up
. And also how the lurkers react to that - nice attention to detail.

onionfrog

you light it up
The oil bombs that the enemies throw and how those interact with fire arrows, firebombs and torches is very smart. Some good design there.
Also although I never really followed the prerelease trailers, since I wanted to go into the game as blind as possible. I think the torch effects look great in that area.

The_Monk

Managed to play a little more since it's been 24 hours since my last time which meant, lot's of deaths. ;)

Question:

I'm with a feeling I'm missing lot's of things. Hidden Convenants, NPC's, decent items, illusory walls, some place I could place those stones, etc. Is there going to always be a way to go back and find locations that I should been there before or will the game going to give me something similar to Anor Londo (and I know I could back-track there)? Thanks in advance my good people.

LeBart

Is there a way to buy or farm pharros lockstones at one point? I wasted two earlier and now I'm too scared of using them.

Durante

The oil bombs that the enemies throw and how those interact with fire arrows, firebombs and torches is very smart. Some good design there.
Also although I never really followed the prerelease trailers, since I wanted to go into the game as blind as possible. I think the torch effects look great in that area.
Fire arrow, firebombs, torches and the pyromancy flame.
As I found out first hand. I agree that it's really neat design. The
oil effect
, and how it slowly recedes, is also well done visually.

Is there a way to buy or farm pharros lockstones at one point? I wasted two earlier and now I'm too scared of using them.
You'll find plenty. There are a limited number to buy. You receive Pharros Stones as reward for killing Grey Phantoms as a Brodent. Generally, Pharros doors conceal treasure, very rarely a trap, which a message will probably warn of. If you are in an area with many many Pharros Locks, those are traps that the Brodents use.

I don't really get the No Man's Wharf difficulty, it was pretty consistent with what I played before it if not a bit easier, but that might be a function of going there after Lost Bastille and Sinner's Respite.

onionfrog

Fire arrow, firebombs, torches and the pyromancy flame.
As I found out first hand. I agree that it's really neat design. The
oil effect
, and how it slowly recedes, is also well done visually.
Oh god that's hilarious!
Based FROM Software.
:D

-MD-

I don't really get the No Man's Wharf difficulty, it was pretty consistent with what I played before it if not a bit easier, but that might be a function of going there after Lost Bastille and Sinner's Respite.

Wharf was my 3rd zone and I walked through every enemy, my torch turned away all those creature things and all the human enemies died in 2 swings.

It's why I was surprised when I saw people commenting on it being a difficult area. The previous area Tower of Flame or whatever had harder enemies imo.

LeBart

You'll find plenty. There are a limited number to buy. You receive Pharros Stones as reward for killing Grey Phantoms as a Brodent. Generally, Pharros doors conceal treasure, very rarely a trap, which a message will probably warn of. If you are in an area with many many Pharros Locks, those are traps that the Brodents use.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Any advice for trying to maximize the effectiveness of having minor sorcery while trying to run a strength build primarily? I cannot deny the usefulness of certain sorcery spells for enemies in which melee weapons aren't effective (haven't encountered any so far) but don't really know the best spells or how to distribute my stats to make effective use of spells. I don't want to change my focus from melee but I still want to maximize the effectiveness of spells with low stats. How can I do this?

Arkanius

Rat King Covenant was the most fun I had in a game in such a long time. I'm proud to have reached max level with them.

GLORY TO THE RAT KING

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Any advice for trying to maximize the effectiveness of having minor sorcery while trying to run a strength build primarily? I cannot deny the usefulness of certain sorcery spells for enemies in which melee weapons aren't effective (haven't encountered any so far) but don't really know the best spells or how to distribute my stats to make effective use of spells. I don't want to change my focus from melee but I still want to maximize the effectiveness of spells with low stats. How can I do this?

I feel like if you're not trying to rush your STR and other stats to 40 right out the gate, dumping some points to take Int to say 20 with a one or two attunement slots isn't a bad idea.

Aselith

im not that great with words, but I'll say it feels like DMC 1 to DMC 3 for me, DMC 1 everything felt cool interesting, the pacing for new stuff was very well done. DMC 3 more of the same with shitty environments (too much grey, too much flat) and less interesting versions of alot of the same enemies. The atmosphere is not on the same level.

DKs2 is still great and im enjoying it, as a whole it doesnt come together near as well for me is all.

What you're talking about is called familiarity. You've played a fairly similar game so now you see the warts a little more.

Arkanius

you light it up

Imagine lighting that huge flame with the old lightning (similar to our own torch)
I understand why they scraped it, the consoles wouldn't be able to hold all that awesome.

ElFly

I don't have a screen cap, but just go to the beach with the coffin and look across the water.

I went and looked and cannot see anything; all I see is some rocks, and nothing more. I would expect to see the roots and more light; Amana is kind of well illuminated.

Do you have more precise indications?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is it just me, or is there some kind of bug that makes the game ignore certain inputs when you're standing on top of a bloodstain? I can't seem to start running if I'm on one most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom