• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsun

Banned
You guys are taking this way out of hand.

No one has ever been banned for such a utility.

While I agree they'd never add a signiture to check for it (why would they, it's not cheating), I'd still be cautious.
Normally I'd agree with you. As this particular fix changes the executable integrity in memory for some of its fixes (the hud), VAC could easily detect the change if they're monitoring an exe wide consitency check (to detect the maximum amount of cheats).

Other programs that are simply going through Direct3d and the like? Of course they're safer. They aren't going to get detected and they arn't changing executable memory.

Uthred

Still undecided about the bosses (I like that theres more of them, I dont mind that a lot are humanoid because a lot of the non-humanoid bosses in DS were too easy or too random, they maybe feel like they lack a little gravitas at times though - the lack of intro for some of them I think adds to that). But when it comes to normal mobs I think DS2 is easily up there with its pre-decessors (
whether its cool looking ones like the animal men or creepy ones like the spider people it feels like the normal mobs have more variety and more thought put into them

so1337

Then you're obviously healing at unsafe times. Bait out an attack, get to a safe distance, and then heal.
I understand that. He doesn't actually kill me "every" time I heal either but it's difficult to time a flask chug because he tends to close distances fairly quickly.
Shouldn't ever be getting hit anyway, most of his attacks can be avoided simply by going to the right (away from his weapon hand) and the ones that have to be dodged are heavily telegraphed.
Yeah, his attacks actually don't seem too bad. I just need to work on my timing.

A lot happened since I last played.

I got through
Belfry Luna, Sinner's Rise, Huntsman's Cope, Undead Purgatory, Harvest Valley and just entered Earthern Peak and beat the covetous demon

Out of all the bosses I had to fight, including a giant soul, the biggest bullshit fight I had to repeat over and over again due to shitty hit box is
the chariot

Seriously what the fuck. It wasn't even a hard boss. It just requires a long fucking trek to get there since there's no nearby bonfires, and you have to fight relatively damaging baddies to get there. And if you get killed, get ready to walk all the way up again. I decided to gain humanity by helping others before I asked for help, but the hit box in co-op is super fucking screwy so when it passed by, even if I was in the location to not get hit, I would fucking die. And it's stupid. I had to retry so many times until I got two competent guys to help me out. And I helped a total of like 5 people and died like 3 times to beat this boss before I had decent help and beat it. What a fucking hassle. Like I said not a tough boss, just shitty mechanics.

But at least after I stopped playing I'm finally in the covenant I've been wanting to be for ages now: A Sun Bro. Best covenant. I helped a guy beat a boss with another sun bro, and we both looked at each other and praised the sun.

dani_dc

Elixist

played about an hour of
Copse
its a really cool area, skeleton guy is kicking my aske, probly gonna have to summon.

And if you get killed, get ready to walk all the way up again. I decided to gain humanity by helping others before I asked for help, but the hit box in co-op is super fucking screwy so when it passed by, even if I was in the location to not get hit, I would fucking die. And it's stupid. I had to retry so many times until I got two competent guys to help me out.
There's one little "safe spot" nook on the left wall that's actually not a safe spot at all, so I just avoided it. The trek back to the boss is definitely annoying, though. Thankfully, a bow helped with drawing out the enemies, but it's not a fast process.
played about an hour of
Copse
its a really cool area, skeleton guy is kicking my aske, probly gonna have to summon.
Make sure to use the pillars to your advantage and get them one at a time.

Facism

haha good to see the flood of Blue Sentinels that i suffered with in NG+ on PS3 is well and truly alive on the PC version.

Holy fuck, that Iron Keep boss. Took me a billion tries. I finally matched up with a couple of ranged guys and we conquered him. Had like 100k worth of souls sitting there afterwards (because of all my deaths). I would have been pissed if he managed to kill me once before I grabbed my souls. Luckily, that didn't happen. Easily the hardest fight in the game so far for me.

Matchmaking is still messed up. I get 1 out of every 7-10 signs to actually summon someone. And, what the deal with the red signs? I've done them a couple of times and managed to kill the people it summons, but I don't really know what the deal with it is.

Coldsun

Banned
Holy fuck, that Iron Keep boss. Took me a billion tries. I finally matched up with a couple of ranged guys and we conquered him. Had like 100k worth of souls sitting there afterwards (because of all my deaths). I would have been pissed if he managed to kill me once before I grabbed my souls. Luckily, that didn't happen. Easily the hardest fight in the game so far for me.

Matchmaking is still messed up. I get 1 out of every 7-10 signs to actually summon someone. And, what the deal with the red signs? I've done them a couple of times and managed to kill the people it summons, but I don't really know what the deal with it is.

The red match making signs are a means of consensual pvp which rewards humanity I believe.

First real pissy moment for me, first time playing a souls game. In the ruins of the forest giants and a gate dropped behind me, got tickled by like three our four baddies. Respawned at the bonfire, came back and teh gate was closed, couldn't retrieve my souls, had just over 10k and that was a lot IMO for this early, just clearing out small patches at a time and pilling up for a nice stat buff.

So fucking salty right now....

I'm assuming it's the Covenant
of Blood
. I don't know how it works but I assume that they put their sign and if they beat the person that summons them they get some item so they can level up in the covenant? I don't know.

First real pissy moment for me, first time playing a souls game. In the ruins of the forest giants and a gate dropped behind me, got tickled by like three our four baddies. Respawned at the bonfire, came back and teh gate was closed, couldn't retrieve my souls, had just over 10k and that was a lot IMO for this early, just clearing out small patches at a time and pilling up for a nice stat buff.

I've made it a thing for myself that whenever I have enough souls to where I think I can level up more than once, I'll go back and level up in Majuna because I don't want to risk losing souls. Especially if I have a boss fight next. Sure I gotta fight respawning enemies when I come back, but I wouldn't lose souls.

Zafir

From what I remember you can get back over by going up the ladder(turn left after you climb down the ladder and right) and falling into that bit. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Which one of the three downloads is it though? There's 3 of them, one for Durante's Program, the ENB, and one that's low DOF.

No idead since I can't try it out yet. But the DOF files are simply options for the GeDoSaTo one. Don't know if there is a difference between the GEM-ENB and the GEM-GeDoSaTo.

Someone here should try out. For sience.

Mylene

i8W5nEsLvb1Or.jpg

http://youtu.be/zEuK0x9URUY

uploaded new test video, spent some time tweaking settings to get everything to be stable with the new enb v.0256 boris released today and the newer geforce 377.5 beta drivers. more info about settings in video description.

Oreoleo

I'm having a bit of an issue with Nvidia inspector and SGSSAA and I'm hoping someone can help me out. Basically, there's some kind of artifact/glitch that is causing vertical lines through most walls, as seen here

They are at fixed spots on the screen while textures and geometry will pass through making it really obvious in motion. I can't figure out how to get rid of them without disabling SGSSAA, which is obviously not a great solution. Any ideas?

Edit: I am using Durante's guide http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/ Someone in the comments makes mention of it as well.

Echoplx

I have a question about B
elfry Sol
, I have the ring on and it's glowing but never get pulled into other peoples games, I'm just constantly invaded. Is there something I have to do?

I'm having a bit of an issue with Nvidia inspector and SGSSAA and I'm hoping someone can help me out. Basically, there's some kind of artifact/glitch that is causing vertical lines through most walls, as seen here

I can't figure out how to get rid of them without disabling SGSSAA, which is obviously not a great solution. Any ideas?

Enable the "antialiasing fix" in Inspector.

Varna

Coming from Demons Souls I really didn't give a shit about losing souls in Dark Souls. It's not like their is a finite number. As much as I hate this Soul memory system it's at least making me care about them again.

I've made it a thing for myself that whenever I have enough souls to where I think I can level up more than once, I'll go back and level up in Majuna because I don't want to risk losing souls. Especially if I have a boss fight next. Sure I gotta fight respawning enemies when I come back, but I wouldn't lose souls.
Lesson learned for sure....sigh..
From what I remember you can get back over by going up the ladder(turn left after you climb down the ladder and right) and falling into that bit. Sorry if I'm wrong.
Thanks bro, I'll look into that, once I cool down...

Booshka

When do you gain the first i-frame from adp? 30?

Like 10 actually, once you get your Agility stat to about 90, you start to get more i-frames in your rolls. Agility is the stat that you want to raise, that dictates i-frames, ADP and ATT increase Agility, but ADP does it at a much faster rate. I suggest getting your Agility to about 95 (20 ADP with 2 ATT) and seeing how that feels.

Sober

the
gulch
is so far the worst area in the game

holy fuck
I went through it really slowly. You can do it. Just buy some firebombs and come back and crawl through it. Did it in a single life. Unless you've already found
the other bonfire in the area which is like 3 seconds from the boss door.

Booshka

Durability is such bullshit in this one. Can't even make it between bonfires without my weapon being at risk.

If this is the case for most players, then that sounds like good design. There are plenty of things to keep you from having a broken weapon, ring, repair powder, and you have 3 weapon slots for each hand, consumables and spells if you choose to use them. Being able to grind out every area and enemy with one weapon, without ever having to worry about it breaking isn't good design if there is going to be weapon durability in the first place. Dark Souls 2 has some funky mechanics and changes, but I think durability is actually pretty well done in this game.

koryuken

Like 10 actually, once you get your Agility stat to about 90, you start to get more i-frames in your rolls. Agility is the stat that you want to raise, that dictates i-frames, ADP and ATT increase Agility, but ADP does it at a much faster rate. I suggest getting your Agility to about 95 (20 ADP with 2 ATT) and seeing how that feels.

Trust me, there is no noticeable difference once Agility is at 100. I am perfectly comfortable with my rolls at under 50% weight and 25 ATT / 20 ADP.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Any recommendation for a strength weapon to use with Sunlight Blade? Kind of disappointed with the damage it's giving me on a +10 Bastard Sword.

Booshka

Trust me, there is no noticeable difference once Agility is at 100. I am perfectly comfortable with my rolls at under 50% weight and 25 ATT / 20 ADP.

There is, but it isn't necessary, there have been some extensive tests by a lot of dedicated PvP players that have discerned most of the differences. The general consensus though is that 95-100 agility is plenty, and anything over 109 is absolute overkill.

Sober

If this is the case for most players, then that sounds like good design. There are plenty of things to keep you from having a broken weapon, ring, repair powder, and you have 3 weapon slots for each hand, consumables and spells if you choose to use them. Being able to grind out every area and enemy with one weapon, without ever having to worry about it breaking isn't good design if there is going to be weapon durability in the first place. Dark Souls 2 has some funky mechanics and changes, but I think durability is actually pretty well done in this game.
Well one issue is that the start of the game is filled with armoured enemies, so it more or less is punishing sword/slash weapon users. Not to mention most weapons just connect with the environment for most attacks so it's unavoidable. Blunt weapons go either way but they are more effective against armoured enemies.

Swing any straightsword and nearly every attack always connects with the environment. You also need more attacks to kill an armoured enemy versus using a simple club or mace. Don't forget to check out the movesets for a hammer or club-type weapon, that don't always connect with the environment if you whiff an attack.

And most thrusting weapons generally just have really low durability, I noticed (at least the stabbing swords anyway) but generally they don't connect with the ground but suffer the same issues as slash weapons.

Levyne

Banned
How do you get the item ...
In the scorpion lady boss room? I assume she can break it but I didn't see it til after she was killed :(

How much is the roll diff at 50% vs 70%

I like the extra armor and naked roll and don't see that vast of a difference at 100 agility.

Sober

I like the extra armor and naked roll and don't see that vast of a difference at 100 agility.
Any roll at 70.1% or more is basically a fat roll. I still can't tell the difference between fast and mid roll here though.

Agility adds i-frames and speeds up other actions. You don't really see a noticeable difference in dodge distance which is where equip load % comes in.

Booshka

Well one issue is that the start of the game is filled with armoured enemies, so it more or less is punishing sword/slash weapon users. Not to mention most weapons just connect with the environment for most attacks so it's unavoidable. Blunt weapons go either way but they are more effective against armoured enemies.

Swing any straightsword and nearly every attack always connects with the environment. You also need more attacks to kill an armoured enemy versus using a simple club or mace. Don't forget to check out the movesets for a hammer or club-type weapon, that don't always connect with the environment if you whiff an attack.

And most thrusting weapons generally just have really low durability, I noticed (at least the stabbing swords anyway) but generally they don't connect with the ground but suffer the same issues as slash weapons.
Consumables are also extremely powerful early game, you can use just Throwing Knives and Firebombs/Urns and wreck a ton of enemies. Players are just too reliant on one play style, so when they whiff at a wall or the floor, or use the wrong attack type on enemies and get poor results, they cry foul before rethinking their strategy.

Edit: Regarding 50% vs 70% rolls and benefits. 50% rolls are longer than 70%, they both take the same amount of time, and the i-frames are dictated by your agility, not the roll type (not sure if this is the case for fat rolls).

Also, every bit of equipment that you have on you lowers your overall stamina regen, being at or below 50% gives noticeably faster stamina regen compared to below 70%. It's essentially like a Cloranthy +1 ring amount of difference. I try to get to 50% for this reason alone, the longer roll animation is also beneficial for getting roll backstabs and maneuverability in general.

Zafir

Yeah, but if you equip weapons in the other two slots it adds to your weight, which is annoying if you want fast rolls. I've got a bow in the second slot and that's it. Repair powder is rare/expensive too.

I think durability is a good idea, but for some weapons(Daggers/curved swords are some I've seen) how fast they break is just ridiculous.

Any roll at 70.1% or more is basically a fat roll. I still can't tell the difference between fast and mid roll here though.

Agility adds i-frames and speeds up other actions. You don't really see a noticeable difference in dodge distance which is where equip load % comes in.

Yeah I keep it at just below 70%. Was just wondering if there is a benefit to below 50%.

Sober

Consumables are also extremely powerful early game, you can use just Throwing Knives and Firebombs/Urns and wreck a ton of enemies. Players are just too reliant on one play style, so when they whiff at a wall or the floor, or use the wrong attack type on enemies and get poor results, they cry foul before rethinking their strategy.
In all fairness in Dark Souls 1, throwables like fire bombs and throwing knives were quickly eclipsed by just straight up combat or spells or just have 999 cheap arrows. If my brother didn't tell me a throwing knife 1-hits a suicide mummy or firebombs were actually doing reasonable (like ~200) damage I would've just as easily ignored them.

koryuken

the difference at sub 50% vs 70% weight is fairly significant (to me) in roll distance, not necessarily i-frames. In PvP roll distance is pretty huge because of all of the "phantom range" on weapons.

However, the biggest difference in equip burden is on stamina regen. At sub 50% weight its like having the stamina regen ring on when compared to 70% weight.

burgerdog

Oooh, alright that helps a bunch and might explain why I've been dodging more. I've had my agility at 99 for a while. Gonna raise it to 100 and probably stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom