• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me that the
Smelter Demon's fire sword
eventually extinguishes (for a while at least) and doesn't last for the entire fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez, am I NOT supposed to kill the Forest boss? I'm doing like 5 damage with just an unupgraded shortsword while doing 100+ damage to the cannon fodder in that level. Good lord, WTF.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Please tell me that the
eventually extinguishes (for a while at least) and doesn't last for the entire fight.

I could tell you that. I would be lying, but I could tell you

TokiDoki

Oh I know. The game is fun for sure. Just at a weird spot at the beginning because I can't buy a sword, or repair my broken ones, and the ones I have suck, so very difficult to do damage.

You can buy a key from a seller besides one of the bonfire in Fallen Giant forest , then use it to unlock the blacksmith house in Majula .

Sober

Geez, am I NOT supposed to kill the Forest boss? I'm doing like 5 damage with just an unupgraded shortsword while doing 100+ damage to the cannon fodder in that level. Good lord, WTF.
Are you talking about
The Last Giant
or
The Pursuer
?

TheSeks

The first. I got my ass kicked by the second and NOPED on going back there.

I've been summoned and summoning for the first one and continue to die with no decent damage being done. It's pure WTF.

Ill Saint

Yeah, I waited until it was full again. It takes a while to kick in, though.

Yes, you will not be able to sprint until a few moments after it is full. It's penalty for depleting your stamina bar. Proper stamina management is paramount, and generally speaking you should always try to avoid depleting it fully.

Yes, you will not be able to sprint until a few moments after it is full. It's penalty for depleting your stamina bar. Proper stamina management is paramount, and generally speaking you should always try to avoid depleting it fully.
When I'm running and dodging my way to the boss, time is of the essence. :p But now I know to wait another millisecond. I'll deprogram myself eventually.

Please tell me that the

Get a shield that blocks 100% of flame damage. I used the Gyrm Greatshield. Heavy, but makes his attacks practically non-existent if you have the stamina to block them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I had to respec from pure DEX to STR = DEX hybrid (both leveled a 30)

The big weapons are just too fun in this game, and other players I meet seem to agree.

14054684831_89aa62212c_c.jpg

Get a shield that blocks 100% of flame damage. I used the Gyrm Greatshield. Heavy, but makes his attacks practically non-existent if you have the stamina to block them.
No clue where to get that, but I doubt I have the strength for it. I'll just have to push on until I persevere.

It doesn't help that he has some attacks that knock me into the walls and get me stuck in the geometry, though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I had to respec from pure DEX to STR = DEX hybrid (both leveled a 30)

The big weapons are just too fun in this game, and other players I meet seem to agree.

14054684831_89aa62212c_c.jpg

I'm a dex/int build too, but it ultimately doesn't seem as much fun this time around. Considering respec to str/int, but that seems kind of strange haha

TheSeks

Summoned Lucatiel for Smelter.

Motherfucker did not enter the room.

Fuck you!

Hahahahaha, I've seen that at the Forest Boss. I enter and the other summon doesn't enter/AFK(?). It's pure WTF.

neoism

Is the general consensus here on GAF still that the Dark Souls 2 OST is weaker than the first one? I'm nearly through my second playthrough and decided to listen both OSTs and to my surprise I realized that the second one actually has as many memorably pieces as the first one. I did prefer the first one's soundtrack but now I think that all those epic background choirs might have mislead me. (I do love those). Now that the choir is less overwhelming there's more space for other things which might not be quite as easy to follow when you're concentrating on the fight.

Dark Souls OST
Dark Souls 2 OST

Majula is on par with Firelink Shrine. Boss name spoilers;
Old Dragonslayer, Ruin Sentinel, Skeleton Lord, The Duke's Dear Freja, Ancient Dragon and Nashandra
are excellent. I feel that even the rest fit better thematically with their bosses. The first one definitely has it's share of memorably pieces; Iron Golem, O&S, Sif, Seath and Gwyn are all are great but I don't think they are superior to the ones of DS2.

I do recommend you quickly browse through those two OSTs. You might be surprised.
personally I looove Motoi Sakuraba's music... but booth OST are reallly weak... all but like 6 songs Souls of Fire is the best song in the series lol I listen tto it for like 1000 times. Majula is great and firelink shrine is awesome but the boss themes are waay to similar, and all of them start the same lol

Booshka

Blocking Great Resonant Soul 100% is so amazing and funny. Players have a little, "wait wut" moment when they see me completely block it with a small shield.

Dark infused Transgressor's Leather Shield is the real deal. 0.3 unit weight too, perfect for my equip load. Got my full build finished at SL 135, 49.9% equip load ; )

No clue where to get that, but I doubt I have the strength for it. I'll just have to push on until I persevere.

It doesn't help that he has some attacks that knock me into the walls and get me stuck in the geometry, though.

You can find it in the Doors of Pharros. Requires 32 strength.

Hit him with Holy Water urns when he applies the Flame Buff.

ElFly

Are there any must do things before starting NG+?

Side bosses, buy all the possible titanite you can, did you talk to
the dark obsessed guy in wheelchair three different times / places?
Do not bother saving Fragant Branches, they are taken away from you.

Side bosses, buy all the possible titanite you can, did you talk to the dark obsessed guy in wheelchair three different times / places? Do not bother saving Fragant Branches, they are took away from you.

Also talk to the guy in the basement of the house in Majula...

BadTaste

I'm trying hard not to use a shield ever.. but I feel I might have to against the
3 Sentinel bosses
. Either I suck or dodging alone won't cut it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm trying hard not to use a shield ever.. but I feel I might have to against the
3 Sentinel bosses
. Either I suck or dodging alone won't cut it.

You can do it, just have to manage your stamina and not be greedy with hits. It will take a while when you are only able to get one or two hits in there (depends on weapon I guess)

There's actually a handful of bosses in that area (won't spoil who), and if you were to ask which one was easiest without a shield, I would say that one.

I'm horrible at this game. I think, unlike what some of the better players would have the normals like me believe, the game is definitely harder than DS1 early on. It's a slippery slope of difficulty wherein once you start failing, the curve only increases, exponentially. I think if you know what you're doing and persevere, it'll become more manageable, but right now once you've used up your resources, like I did, you're only making things more and more difficult.

I'm a dex/int build too, but it ultimately doesn't seem as much fun this time around. Considering respec to str/int, but that seems kind of strange haha

Did a dex/faith build on ps3, switched to a str/int build on pc and it is pretty damn good. Magic Mastodon Halberd+10 with CMW is deadly

ElFly

I'm horrible at this game. I think, unlike what some of the better players would have the normals like me believe, the game is definitely harder than DS1 early on. It's a slippery slope of difficulty wherein once you start failing, the curve only increases, exponentially. I think if you know what you're doing and persevere, it'll become more manageable, but right now once you've used up your resources, like I did, you're only making things more and more difficult.

Jolly cooperation.

Do not waste the chance to do coop. The game is super popular right now and you will not want for people to summon / chances to be summoned.

Remember that once you do a successful summon (you beat the boss area) you recover your humanity.

Considering it is very early in your game, why not reroll with a new character.

If you ever get low on durability, pull back and reset at bonfire since repair is not possible or too costly and just try, try again.

Edit: you didn't join the Company of Champions covenant did you? Because that is like a "hard" mode for the game.

Jolly cooperation.

Do not waste the chance to do coop. The game is super popular right now and you will not want for people to summon / chances to be summoned.

Remember that once you do a successful summon (you beat the boss area) you recover your humanity.

For whatever reason, in the span of five minutes I went from having summon signs all over to zero anywhere for the next hour. I don't know how that happens. But yeah, I plan to hope for a summon tomorrow. I don't know how anyone plays this game for more than two hours! Too stressful!

Considering it is very early in your game, why not reroll with a new character.

If you ever get low on durability, pull back and reset at bonfire since repair is not possible or too costly and just try, try again.

Edit: you didn't join the Company of Champions covenant did you? Because that is like a "hard" mode for the game.

I very well may restart. It will be the second time I do. And no, I didn't join that covenant.

ElFly

Ah, I've only found that guy 2 times, and I still haven't found a way to open that locked door in majula :/

Here are the three locations of Darkdiver Grandahl, aka badass grandpa in wheelchair

under some planks in shaded woods
under the black gulch, after dropping down in a platform around the giant worms
under castle drangleic; in the big room next to the first bonfire in castle drangleic, there is a bunch of ruin sentinels. the last one to the left is in a room with a hole

Door in majula's mansion opens after
you talk to a cartographer after the second bonfire in Majula. Search carefully.

For whatever reason, in the span of five minutes I went from having summon signs all over to zero anywhere for the next hour. I don't know how that happens. But yeah, I plan to hope for a summon tomorrow. I don't know how anyone plays this game for more than two hours! Too stressful!

Just saying this to discard the most obvious reason, but you have to be human to be able to summon.

You can write down your sign as a phantom or as a human. The soapstone is after the second bonfire in Forest of the Giants.

Since I don't know where half of the locations where the stuff that would make this easier are, powering through means I've pretty much learned the
Smelter Demon
's attack patterns. I think I can do this, now. It feels so much easier. I was 2 hits away from finishing it off, but I misjudged a distance and got caught in a blast.

Levyne

Banned
Ran into a Boss that I was not expecting!

About the area:
Door of Pharros

I killed two people as a grey phantom on the way, and took two tries to beat him, rolled when he lunged, stabbed and repeat.

Can I have a hint on which keys to use? D: I've wasted a few that obviously are pointless.

Still undecided about the bosses (I like that theres more of them, I dont mind that a lot are humanoid because a lot of the non-humanoid bosses in DS were too easy or too random, they maybe feel like they lack a little gravitas at times though - the lack of intro for some of them I think adds to that). But when it comes to normal mobs I think DS2 is easily up there with its pre-decessors (
whether its cool looking ones like the animal men or creepy ones like the spider people it feels like the normal mobs have more variety and more thought put into them

The only thing I dislike about the bosses in this game is that there are far too many that feature more than one enemy.

Ran into a Boss that I was not expecting!

About the area:
Door of Pharros

I killed two people as a grey phantom on the way, and took two tries to beat him, rolled when he lunged, stabbed and repeat.

Can I have a hint on which keys to use? D: I've wasted a few that obviously are pointless.

Join the Rat covenant and you'll be swimming in keys!

Mentok

Banned

I'd suggest co-oping in other players' worlds so you get a lay of the land before going through it yourself. You definitely have to take your time, and know that animations like rolling and drinking estus are slower until your agility hits 95ish. Trust me, when I first started I thought I was done but some Gaffers talked me into continuing. I just got the platinum and am considering other playthroughs.
hey-you-can-do-it_6287803_lrg.jpg

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Alright. . .as someone who said they weren't going to bother with this game on the PC, the graphical upgrades are definitely worth the double dip (well at least 22 bucks worth).

Although, anyone coming from the PS3 find the XBOX360 controller a bit. . .wonky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom