• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
the difference at sub 50% vs 70% weight is fairly significant (to me) in roll distance, not necessarily i-frames. In PvP roll distance is pretty huge because of all of the "phantom range" on weapons.

However, the biggest difference in equip burden is on stamina regen. At sub 50% weight its like having the stamina regen ring on when compared to 70% weight.

Hmm.. This is news to me. I just jacked my endurance to 36 and used the cloranthy rings. Maybe I'll do some experimenting. Kinda bummed I didn't get that Llewellyn chest piece. My current build with the Alva chest piece will end up with about 80 poise and sit and 69% equip.

well fuck, im playing with durantes gedosato with textures and sweetfx settings... should I stop using that? damn i turn off that sweetfx settings and the game looks awful. fuckin VAC

Jintor

So I find myself constantly not having any lifegems, am I doing something wrong? Outside of Forrest of Fallen Giants, very few are dropping.

Yeah, you're dying a lot, which is your main problem.

They're an uncommon drop at best. I think the first shopkeeper sells unlimited amounts, but I'm not sure if you're even up to her yet.

-MD-

So I find myself constantly not having any lifegems, am I doing something wrong? Outside of Forrest of Fallen Giants, very few are dropping.

There's like a
hunched over NPC that sells them in the Forest of Giants by a bonfire, if you buy all her lifegems and exhaust all her dialogue she'll warp to the hub area and you can buy infinite gems for 300 souls each.

So, first and only time I died until now was at the Pursuer, by a friendly summon using the ballista. Felt bad man. Just killed the two dudes at Heide's Tower. Loving the game as much as I loved the first one.

Furio53

Damn... I think I just suck at this game. Summoning people helps tremendously, but I'm trying to go through the Heidi's Tower of flame or whatever. My sword broke, my dagger broke. I have that Half broken thief sword and it sucks.

I die a lot. :p

Levyne

Banned
Damn... I think I just suck at this game. Summoning people helps tremendously, but I'm trying to go through the Heidi's Tower of flame or whatever. My sword broke, my dagger broke. I have that Half broken thief sword and it sucks.

I die a lot. :p

Dying is half the fun

Zeliard

Tip for those playing a lot of co-op - buy the Redeye ring from the cat merchant and wear that every time you get summoned. It'll make the enemies, including bosses, focus heavily on you instead of the host.

This has two nice benefits:

1) It limits the risk that the host gets killed, since you are the primary target

2) It allows the host to get some solid damage in with less of a fear of reprisal, as you command the attention and can focus on dodging or tanking the boss attacks as the host nails them

HowZatOZ

Banned
i hear DS2 is VAC secured now.

would texture mods like sweetfx get you banned? wondering if i should delete it while i can.
Very doubtful. VAC is one of the few that is rather lenient on what it will ban, and its usually targeted towards scripts or full on game changer injectors. Visual enchancements shouldn't be a problem.
Tip for those playing a lot of co-op - buy the Redeye ring from the cat merchant and wear that every time you get summoned. It'll make the enemies, including bosses, focus heavily on you instead of the host.

1) It limits the risk that the host gets killed, since you are the primary target

2) It allows the host to get some solid damage in with less of a fear of reprisal, as you command the attention and can focus on dodging or tanking the boss attacks
And for the reverse side of that coin, there is a ring that will focus the attention of enemies onto who you are invading, making it hilariously fun when they realise that its not just you after them.

Yeah, you're dying a lot, which is your main problem.

They're an uncommon drop at best. I think the first shopkeeper sells unlimited amounts, but I'm not sure if you're even up to her yet.

I'm up to Lost Bastille now, just havn't seen them drop much outside of FoFG

There's like a
hunched over NPC that sells them in the Forest of Giants by a bonfire, if you buy all her lifegems and exhaust all her dialogue she'll warp to the hub area and you can buy infinite gems for 300 souls each.

ah that's where she went. T hanks.

elfinke

2) It allows the host to get some solid damage in with less of a fear of reprisal, as you command the attention and can focus on dodging or tanking the boss attacks

I have been doing this a lot recently, well, since beating the Iron Keep Boss, where the host would all too often get destroyed while his/her coop partners were still trucking. Good tip!

Sitting at work, day dreaming about my traversal through the spiders and mages. Not much work actually getting done.

impact

Banned

2) It allows the host to get some solid damage in with less of a fear of reprisal, as you command the attention and can focus on dodging or tanking the boss attacks as the host nails them
Also for those who care about 100% Steam achievements

Luciatel is so weak

Man... Just when I think I'm getting a hang of things, the
Smelter Demon
pulls some new shit out of its ass. This is going to take me a while.

AmyS

This looks almost like the reveal footage. It has proper darks. Pretty good I must say.

Excellent lighting. That looks just like the demo.

HOLY CRAP!

I knew the PC community would get this game looking the right way.

Great work.

While I do think it looks really fucking good, probably still not everything the early version had (more particle effects in the TGS trailer)
It's getting much closer in lighting though, and this is really impressive because it's only been mere *days* since the PC ver. released.

Someone should make a comparison video between that ENB test: http://youtu.be/z0ASBwA5y2Y
(I have no idea what ENB it is or what other mods & settings were used)

And these:

TGS 2013 trailer (Gamersyde!)
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_dark_souls_ii_tgs_trailer-30829_en.html

E3 2013 Stage Demo
http://youtu.be/GX2HNe9zZtg

Gameplay Reveal 12 Minute Demo (April 2013)
http://youtu.be/z_JFDPCtXFY

Stet

Banned
Consumables are also extremely powerful early game, you can use just Throwing Knives and Firebombs/Urns and wreck a ton of enemies. Players are just too reliant on one play style, so when they whiff at a wall or the floor, or use the wrong attack type on enemies and get poor results, they cry foul before rethinking their strategy.

Edit: Regarding 50% vs 70% rolls and benefits. 50% rolls are longer than 70%, they both take the same amount of time, and the i-frames are dictated by your agility, not the roll type (not sure if this is the case for fat rolls).

Also, every bit of equipment that you have on you lowers your overall stamina regen, being at or below 50% gives noticeably faster stamina regen compared to below 70%. It's essentially like a Cloranthy +1 ring amount of difference. I try to get to 50% for this reason alone, the longer roll animation is also beneficial for getting roll backstabs and maneuverability in general.

The issue is that for DEX builds, especially curved swords, durability is shit compared with STR builds. That's crappy design, especially when you do so much less damage per hit as a quick melee.

In DS1, I easily understood why the heavy two-handed attacks had such a durability hit. These aren't even heavy attacks I'm using. It's light attacks that don't hit walls, and I get maybe 40 swings.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stop summoning me in the Forest NG just to help you with the boss as a shade. RAWR.

Jintor

Omg white ring dropped. Already griefed 2 hosts with it.

Can you get any more sunlight spears in ng+?

lol. I doubt it would work in the belfries, but I should really give it a shot.

Not that I'm being summoned these days. I think my soul memory is too high... or i"m playing off-peak in my region.

Holding B at full stamina, and getting ready to jump...only to realize that your character hadn't started running yet. Welp.

Edit: TWICE NOW. What the fuck.

je_ssi e

So did Durante say anything about his mod or enb in terms of this new VAC thing?
Yah.
So about VAC: Yes, you could be banned for using GeDoSaTo.

Personally, I consider that fairly unlikely though. GeDoSaTo makes no changes outside of its own dll, and most significantly it does not alter the game state in any way. I believe VAC is selective enough to know the difference.

But don't blame me if you do get banned - the possibility is not 0.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109851076&postcount=824

Zeliard

The Redeye ring also gives your head this glowing, red flame looking thing coming out of it, which looks pretty cool.

So for the people who summon help, if you see a phantom with a glowing red head, you know they've got the Redeye ring on.

Grief.exe

i hear DS2 is VAC secured now.

would texture mods like sweetfx get you banned? wondering if i should delete it while i can.

So did Durante say anything about his mod or enb in terms of this new VAC thing?

Injection techniques aren't expressly outlawed, though they aren't expressly permitted either.

It's a grey area, but if a ban was put through the system it would set a precedent as it has never occurred before.

Personally, I'm going to keep on using them. They are like using a VPN to access a released game or a cracked exe to bypass broken DRM, these methods are outlawed but Valve has never cracked down on either issue. You are paying customers after all, would be counter-intuitive.

burgerdog

The Redeye ring also gives your head this glowing, red flame looking thing coming out of it, which looks pretty cool.

So for the people who summon help, if you see a phantom with a glowing red head, you know they've got the Redeye ring on.

Bought and bought. One because I have more trust in myself avoiding the boss' attack if I'm helping people. Second because the effect OMG.

There's like a

Where does she move to in the hub area exactly? I'm already in Earthern Peak or w/e it's called and I haven't found her in Majula.

Ferrio

Banned
Holding B at full stamina, and getting ready to jump...only to realize that your character hadn't started running yet. Welp.

Edit: TWICE NOW. What the fuck.

When you run outta stamina you can't run again until the bar fills to full.

Believe how that works.

Omg white ring dropped. Already griefed 2 hosts with it.

Can you get any more sunlight spears in ng+?

Does that make your red summon sign turn white too? Yesterday I summoned a white summon and they started attacking me. They did look slightly different in color, but overall white. I managed to kill him, but it was a surprise to me.

HoosTrax

So I met up with a certain overgrown knightly friend again, in a place that had previously been occupied by a different boss. He dropped a nice ring.

Does he show up other places as well?

Zafir

Injection techniques aren't expressly outlawed, though they aren't expressly permitted either.

It's a grey area, but if a ban was put through the system it would set a precedent as it has never occurred before.

Personally, I'm going to keep on using them. They are like using a VPN to access a released game or a cracked exe to bypass broken DRM, these methods are outlawed but Valve has never cracked down on either issue. You are paying customers after all, would be counter-intuitive.
Indeed. I think they'd have quite an outcry on their hands if they did start banning people since a significant amount of people use them. Especially considering the methods have been posted on popular news sites (Eurogamer/PC Gamer).

So I met up with a certain overgrown knightly friend again, in a place that had previously been occupied by a different boss. He dropped a nice ring.

Does he show up other places as well?

You may see him again someday, somewhere...and maybe that day, he'll introduce you to his brother ;)

Varna

So how does magic weapon work in this game? I was pretty surprised that I was able to add it to weapons which already had some kind of elemental attack. Does it overwrite said attack and just apply the magic effect?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Err. . .is there some special trick to get this Durante mod working? Ran the thing, and it says activated, but I'm not getting these massive resolution options I've seen in videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom