• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

Oh my god, this is the best shit ever. Dual Caestus and people keep unequipping their weapons to fist fight and I just annihilate them.

lol, nice. Might start doing that myself.

As much as I'm enjoying the PvE and progressing through the game (I'm still enjoying this more than DaSo1), lag aside, the PvP - the frequency of invasions, the reasonable skill and equipment matchups - has been fantastic, to the point I might have to join a covenant specifically to fight
grief
fools. Whether it's Rat or Bell bros, or just dudes invading my game, I've enjoyed each event immensely.

Gvaz

Banned
I've only taken down two souls, working on unlocking the path to the third, already have part of the path of the fourth unlocked, i just didn't want to do the gulch because it looked like blighttown, but i'm already over 1m in soul memory very easily :|

I did grind heide to try and collect all the armor/weapons though. I killed everything until it didn't spawn and I had tons of chest armors, tons of gloves, tons of hats and some weapons, but not single goddamn pair of leggings.

JimPanzer

hmm the newest version (alpha 3) of durants gedosato hits my perfomance pretty hard, was getting constant 60 fps with alpha 2 and now im getting down to 50 in some areas. hmm.

edit
It seems like the VSSAO2.fx shader file included in this version causes severe performance issues for some. If you are affected, try replacing it with the file from version 0.2. I’ll revert it in the next release. The actual rendering fixes are independent of the shader file, so you will still benefit from upgrading to 0.3!

this fixed it

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Although, anyone coming from the PS3 find the XBOX360 controller a bit. . .wonky?

Nope, works good for me although there was an annoyance with the charging cable not actually functioning as a data cable so I'm using a 3rd party controller instead.

Superflat

This game lets you level up way faster than the first Dark Souls right? Or do they give you more souls?

I'm past level 100 and i've logged in like 30 hours.

Compared to beating the first Dark Souls at level 65 and spending like 50 hours in that play-through.

Hypron

This game lets you level up way faster than the first Dark Souls right? Or do they give you more souls?

I'm past level 100 and i've logged in like 30 hours.

Compared to beating the first Dark Souls at level 65 and spending like 50 hours in that play-through.

I don't think it gives you more souls, it just costs a lot less to level up. Which is a good thing because there are more useful stats.

I can't even beat
The Lost Sinner
, took me fewer tries to beat the Artorias boss in DS1. He should be simple and I thought I'd beat him on 1-2 tries, but nope. And this is as an overlevelled armored guy with a big shield. I probably should give up and uninstall, but nope, I must see the rest of the game. Maybe I should go respec my 22 faith into hp/stamina (they're both 15), switching between weapons and lightning magic just ends up confusing me anyway. 2 stamina per endurance seems a bit tiny compared to the first game where dumping many points into end was a no-brainer, and it's not really the lack of end that kills me, but crappy reflexes. Looking forward to be able to craft fancy weapons to take advantage of my faith stat, but so far I've only seen large titanite and a poison stone.

What's that red-caped armor I see everyone wearing in co-op at this point?
Just hold your shield up (with 100% physical dmg reduction) and try to circle him. He starts this very slow attacks even when you are standing behind him so you can hit him a lot before hes turning around. He only got one attack where he can hurt you, the one where he starts glowing and makes this white explosion

Well fuck me.

I just met
Freja.
Stay away from her until all small spiders are dead. she only uses a horizontal beam for long range, which you can just outrun to the right (she only fires the beam in the same direction). The spiders spawn after a specific time, so just be fast. When you are standing besides one of her heads, she starts a very slow attack. after this attack you got the chance to hit her 2-3 times with a fast weapon. if the ground besides one head becomes to sticks through her webs, just run to the other head on the opposite side of her and do the same thing over again

Vaporak

Just hold your shield up (with 100% physical dmg reduction) and try to circle him. He starts this very slow attacks even when you are standing behind him so you can hit him a lot before hes turning around. He only got one attack where he can hurt you, the one where he starts glowing and makes this white explosion

I second this. If you aren't playing with a shield then her long range makes the fight a lot harder because it's hard to stay out of it, but she can't really do anything to you if you just keep your shield up and stay alert.

Sickbean

Wow, 100 hours into the PS3 game but just started on PC and it's like I'm looking at brand new locations - noticing so many details I missed before.

What are some good mods to get started on? I've downloaded the SweetFX preset from the nexus that seems to have improved the washed out colours in some places, but interested in getting a few more.

Seems like I've got plenty of FPS to play with, even with my old 2600K and 6950 :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if you have problems with a boss to the point you feel like quitting the game, just summon someone. hell summon a posse, fuck it! just beat the boss and move on and get back on the fun train

So after hearing all the horrible tales [tails amirite] of Rat Covenant victims, and I have to go to that area next, I've decided I'm going to play it offline. I already get pissed to the point of cursing when I'm trying to write my name for summoning in
Belfry Luna
and the second i step unto the bridge the fog door appears WAY before somebody is summoned. I already hate Bell Bros as much as I do because they have the higher ground, and the backing of those little asshole dwarves, I can't imagine how I wouldn't throw away my controller with douchey rat bros who
have the whole area and mobs at their disposal
. Everybody should just be Sun Bros.

Sun Bros are love. Sun Bros are life.

Holy shit, that was an intense fight puts S&O to shame imo.

Dark Lurker, gottem 5th-6th try. Felt like a 3d version of megaman x all dem jukes.

What's wrong with these dudes on the
3 sentinels
boss with no defensive options whatsoever! I was helping as a white phantom yesterday and in 20 summons I got 5 guys that didn't go very well 5 guys that we finally managed to kill the boss and 10 guys wearing light armour (leather/cloth) and/or staff + dagger or dual wielding! I even got a guy with the Demon's Great Hammer look-a-like! So they have to go first in to the boss room and as soon as they touch the ground
the first sentinel
smacks them down! You could get a tanking phantom, but you would have to be able to disengage really fast from the
first sentinel
or else you're fucked.

Also, they summon for help, but when you try to show them the other easier route they just spend all their estus charges mowing down through all the trash! Much frustration! I've moved on from helping on that boss!

Also, is the lightning spells pulling aggro more than the rest! I think this was the case on the first game!

Zeliard

I already hate Bell Bros as much as I do because they have the higher ground, and the backing of those little asshole dwarves

Yeah I think it's a total dick move in PvP to attack your opponent while they're fighting A.I. when you're the one instigating the challenge (which is why the Rat covenant is garbage).

Whenever I invade the Bell Tower and I see that the person is already fighting the dwarves, I let them finish that and heal up before engaging. You already have the advantage, so I see no need to be obnoxious about it.

Sickbean

What's wrong with these dudes on the
3 sentinels
boss with no defensive options whatsoever! I was helping as a white phantom yesterday and in 20 summons I got 5 guys that didn't go very well 5 guys that we finally managed to kill the boss and 10 guys wearing light armour (leather/cloth) and/or staff + dagger or dual wielding! I even got a guy with the Demon's Great Hammer look-a-like! So they have to go first in to the boss room and as soon as they touch the ground
the first sentinel
smacks them down! You could get a tanking phantom, but you would have to be able to disengage really fast from the
first sentinel
or else you're fucked.

Also, they summon for help, but when you try to show them the other easier route they just spend all their estus charges mowing down through all the trash! Much frustration! I've moved on from helping on that boss!

Also, is the lightning spells pulling aggro more than the rest! I think this was the case on the first game!

Hey, don't be down on all us light armour ninjas - I just killed that boss solo naked duel wielding maces after helping about 5 people do it first. Stunlocked the shit out of them.

The only downside is I honestly don't think any other melee build will be as powerful - looks like I'm using maces for my whole playthough.

BHK3

Banned
So I beat
captain barbossa's evil expirement, the sentry
and took the first boat to
SHIT LAND. This place is SO tedious, killing the same weak skinny knights in mobs of like 8 right outside the fog gate and the big weak hobos with halberds is so boring. Now I'm fighting these 3 skinnier knights called shitenels.
I watch videos and everyone gets so lucky, my
sentinels
always do the multi hit combos and swarm me nonstop, always spinning then throwing their shields when I'm drinking...people even have stuff I've never seen before in these videos which I don't even see how that's possible. I've explored every nook and cranny, unless they killed NPC's or something.

Yeah I think it's a total dick move in PvP to attack your opponent while they're fighting A.I. when you're the one instigating the challenge (which is why the Rat covenant is garbage).

Whenever I invade the Bell Tower and I see that the person is already fighting the dwarves, I let them finish that and heal up before engaging. You already have the advantage, so I see no need to be obnoxious about it.

I think my biggest issue with Bell Bros is
that the time it takes for a second person to gets summoned is unrealistically fast. Considering all the ground one has to cover and fighting a first dude. And once a second one appears forget about it. They have nothing to lose besides a failed fight. The people coming in, even with help, have everything to lose since they're going in as humans to primarily fight a difficulty on SP boss. They don't want to use every estus flask. And then they're forced to regain humanity somehow if killed.

I understand it's fun for the people of the covenant, but it's a migraine for everybody else. As a Sunbro this is genuinely the last time I come to help people there because it's a waste of time since regardless of how quick you are the first time you get there you will get invaded and most likely killed, therefore now you need to co-op to regain humanity. It's so much less of a hassle to help out with other boss fights because I don't have to deal with 50% chance PVP.

I know I'm ranting and whining, but I really wanted more sunlight medals and people over here always need help. But it's such a hassle to have to deal with all the extra bullcrap. I'm gonna stick with
the mob of skeletons and chariot boss fights
from now on until I reach the next best boss to help/be helped with. Also some people have issues man
everytime I put my summon near the covetous demon I get summoned relatively fast for such an easy boss fight

Arken2121

Holy shit, just beat the
Sentinels and Flexible Sentry
Naked, only using a 2h while under the covenant of champions. It took me at least 20 tries on the first but funny enough it only took me one try on the second boss. Going to be uploading the glorious(rage-filled) victories later.

Xane

This will be a major issue in a few weeks when public trainers hit the webs just like it was in DS1 as the game's still essentially running client-side. I've fiddled around with it myself and can confirm that almost everything is editable. So if you enjoy PvP, do as much as possible right now as long as there are no trainers around for the masses to use.

I don't think it gives you more souls, it just costs a lot less to level up. Which is a good thing because there are more useful stats.

No it gives you considerably more souls as well.

I show no mercy. The point of the covenant is to eliminate the host. Who cares how its done.

Is my only option to go through Sinner's Rise? Seems like there's another path from Majula but it's blocked by a petrified person. Those things on the water scared the shit out of me lol

Facism

They laugh at the notion of stamina.

They're the Crossfit enemy on Dark Souls 2.

Does that make your red summon sign turn white too? Yesterday I summoned a white summon and they started attacking me. They did look slightly different in color, but overall white. I managed to kill him, but it was a surprise to me.

I believe so. First guy i did it to was suspicious, as you don't spawn on your sign. Second one gave no fucks and I clocked him with a sunlight spear as he did his Praise the Sun gesture, which i found ironic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
doing a little clean up (
releasing the crow lady blacksmith, talking to the sorc at no mans wharf so he goes to majula, etc
) I found myself back in Brightstone Cover, in
the big spider boss room
, and there is
some sort of rock thing in there now that when I click it said "alas, nothing happened"
. is that for something later on?

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
I was doing a slow and steady no deaths run on pc after having finished this on 360, and died by glitching through the bridge outside the
chariot boss door
after beating
last giant, pursuer, dragonrider, dragonslayer, flexile sentry and lost sinner.
Aaaggbh!!!

Having that [late, late game spoilers]
dragon crash into the suspended bridge
was absolutely crazy. Even though it resulted in a death, it was a spectacular moment.

Xane

I was doing a slow and steady no deaths run on pc after having finished this on 360, and died by glitching through the bridge outside the
chariot boss door
after beating
last giant, pursuer, dragonrider, dragonslayer, flexile sentry and lost sinner.
Aaaggbh!!!

Yeah, most death happen to be by falls. One thing I keep remembering myself in Dark Souls is that gravity will always have a higher K/D ratio than you.

Rhaknar

why am I being summoned as a gray spirit? happened twice now, once in
doors of pharros
, and just now in
grave of saints

im not in any fancy convenant, just the first one in Majula, Blue something

edit: black knight greatsword needing twinkling titanite for upgrades was HUGELY disapointing. seriously, Im finding no weapons that can touch my upgraded Greatsword, its bumming me out, not even boss soul weapons

why am I being summoned as a gray spirit? happened twice now, once in
doors of pharros
, and just now in
grave of saints

im not in any fancy convenant, just the first one in Majula, Blue something

Players in certain covenants can 'defend' those areas via PVP. It's normal.

Zeliard

I show no mercy. The point of the covenant is to eliminate the host. Who cares how its done.

Sure, but why not just kill them in a more straight up duel? You should have enough faith in your own ability to do that. Don't see how it's at all satisfying to lay into a player when they're fighting A.I., but to each their own.

-MD-

Sure, but why not just kill them in a more straight up duel? You should have enough faith in your own ability to do that. Don't see how it's at all satisfying to lay into a player when they're fighting A.I., but to each their own.

Why even have invading then? Just have a dueling arena.

Jintor

This backfires about half the time when they just lay waste into you or something when you bow

But I like the duels anyway, so whatever. Of course half the time it summons another spirit so they get overwhelmed anyway, but hey, them's the brakes.

Facism

heide's tower, red string ring, tree seed for maximum lols. People don't expect mods to 1hk them.

now playing hide and seek with an invader by hiding as a box LOL.

LOL invader used the seperation crystal.

Rhaknar

Royal Rat Vanguard
was easy, which is good, I needed a easy boss after what Ive been through lately lol

edit: anyone remember how to get to that
scorpion guy npc
? I found out he gives you a ring if you talk to him
after killing the scorpion lady
?

Zeliard

This backfires about half the time when they just lay waste into you or something when you bow

But I like the duels anyway, so whatever. Of course half the time it summons another spirit so they get overwhelmed anyway, but hey, them's the brakes.

It's not so bad since you can interrupt an emote animation by rolling. If you're doing your duel bow and you see someone about to attack, roll away and punish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom