• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think the game's easier? I'm actually finding it somewhat harder!

Maybe i'm just remembering my first days with DkS1 wrong, but it feels like here it's harder to backstab, parry, even plunging! And haven't fought many bosses yet (barely 2) but
Pursuer
was harder than
Capra
, imo which, as soon as you
took down the two dogs, could easily be handled with the stairs
Add to that the fact that every time you die you lose HP, even if you're undead.

Maybe the game becomes easier (i'm at the start, still), but i'd say so far, DkS1 was the easiest of the three, for me.

Oh, and i played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls!

The first two hours are hard.

Since then, I've killed nearly every enemy in two or three hits. I'm not a Souls master either - to me it is an undeniably easier game (so far). The shorter levels and bonfire placements just cement this fact.

The ring that caps the HP loss negates that challenge (which I think was a bad design choice in the first place).

NEO0MJ

While I'm still somewhat early in the game I have to agree with TMIB, especially when it comes to the bosses. But the souls series is easier as a whole after you complete one of the games so maybe that's why. If a person played both Dark and Demons a lot of the game's usual tricks won't work.

BPoole

No, no, NO! STOP!

don't respec! You can pretty much skip every single enemy if you time your runs right. The last one is a bit tricky, so make sure you bait his attack when you run past him. It'll give you a couple of valuable seconds to get into the fog.

Strip off your gear and wear your stamina rings, focus your attacks on his back foot and whenever he flaps his wings (your signal) run as fast as you can towards his tail, the fire AoE won't reach you there. Rinse and repeat. Yeah, it's a pretty dull fight
I tried that technique and had him down to about half health using a Claymore +9 with a lightning buff on it. It hard to keep track of his tail since he will fly up in the air and turn his body so his tail won't be in the same location that it was in when he takes off. I just don't know if it's worth all the time at this point to try to kill this guy. I just don't want to throw in the towel since I've never had to do that in a Souls game before, but this guy is just too much

Facism

So i've been invaded. 10 minutes so far in bastille guy can't find me LOL

im watching him run around the bastille from sinners rise lol

ahhaha he finally used the seperation crystal. good waste of a cracked blueeye ord, you Blue Twat

Maybe i'm just remembering my first days with DkS1 wrong, but it feels like here it's harder to backstab, parry, even plunging! And haven't fought many bosses yet (barely 2) but
Pursuer
was harder than
Capra
, imo which, as soon as you
took down the two dogs, could easily be handled with the stairs
Add to that the fact that every time you die you lose HP, even if you're undead.

Maybe the game becomes easier (i'm at the start, still), but i'd say so far, DkS1 was the easiest of the three, for me.

Oh, and i played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls!
I find it way easier to backstab enemies, you dont even have to roll or time your movement, just hold a shield up and circle around them. You also get infinte healing items and a hp regen ring. once you get the cap which reduces the limited hp cap as an hollow its getting even more easier.

In DkS1 it took really some time to learn the movement of each enemy type to kill them effectively without losing much hp. It DkS2 its not necessary since their attacks dont vary much

yatesl

Emergency Question!

i37GYlNmd0hUQ.jpg

Is that an NPC phantom? I got no messages, as he hasn't aggro'd yet. I don't want to pop him in the head if he's a good guy

daniels

I tried that technique and had him down to about half health using a Claymore +9 with a lightning buff on it. It hard to keep track of his tail since he will fly up in the air and turn his body so his tail won't be in the same location that it was in when he takes off. I just don't know if it's worth all the time at this point to try to kill this guy. I just don't want to throw in the towel since I've never had to do that in a Souls game before, but this guy is just too much

just use a a shield and block it...

So i've been invaded. 10 minutes so far in bastille guy can't find me LOL

im watching him run around the bastille from sinners rise lol

ahhaha he finally used the seperation crystal. good waste of a cracked blueeye ord, you Blue Twat

I had a guy invade me yesterday at the Belfry, I ran to the start bit on the narrow bridge hoping to block him and knock him off, but he rolled at me and flew off all by himself.

I laughed a lot.

It's very helpful when your reach wretched status but you might as well just use the life protection ring instead.

How far in are you?

Got 3/4 of the big souls.

[Late game]
The giant flashback scenes were pretty neat. NPC battles! That has to be a series first. Is there any way to activate the one in Soldier's Rest?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Holy crap the Lion Greataxe is awesome. My first attempt on the
gargoyles
didn't go so well with my heide sword +10; tried again with the lion greataxe +5 and wrecked shop. Same for
the sinner dude who invades
shortly after.

Melee Dex build

This is my current build, thoughts? I'm debating whether I should go full on melee or add Pyro stuff to my repertoire.

You don't need any stats for Pyro, so it's always good as a backup, so a few points in ATN would serve you well. Otherwise I'd just put more in VIG and DEX, maybe STR to meet some weapon requirements.

Tak3n

Banned
so...I was quite proud of myself killing the Pacifier on my 4th try going solo....

but those fucking Sentinals...... God damn it they are a pain, does not help that getting to that boss is a exercise is frustration as well

Vitor711

It's very helpful when your reach wretched status but you might as well just use the life protection ring instead.

How far in are you?

Jump off the cliff behind the herald for a nice reward.

Dude, I tried what you said and am still a little bored. Respecced for Str and, other than the giant club thing I have (and love), the great shields are so heavy that my stamina recharges super slow. Can't seem to keep below 70% equip load without sacrificing armour. Is that worth the hit?

Got the Alonne Captain gear and, while it looks awesome and the poise is real nice, again, the equip burden is silly and it's still worse than my upgraded Drangleic set. Any suggestions? Should I just put points into upping my load? I'm already at the point of diminishing returns at around 30 where each increase only gets me +1.

Really wish it was still tied to End...

Still bored of all my weapons. Have 40 Str. but not enough Int./Faith to use the Dark Dragon Axe thing which looks cool. The smelter demon sword is still worse than my fire broadsword though, at least without any items to upgrade it.

Sould level 120-ish and just beat the Gulch boss. Have no items other than titanite to upgrade weapons. Will those come up further ahead?

UrbanRats

I find it way easier to backstab enemies, you dont even have to roll or time your movement, just hold a shield up and circle around them. You also get infinte healing items and a hp regen ring.
Regarding the backstabbing, in DkS1 too, all you had to do was circle around the mobs with your shield up, but they didn't spin as much as they do here.

And didn't Demon's Souls also had infinite (you could farm them) healing items? Which, btw, healed you much better and much faster than life gems, so you could use them more easily in boss fights.

However, again, i'm still very early in the game (just beat
pursuer
) so maybe i just need to get used to the new rules, as i have some of DeS and DkS ones pretty ingrained in my muscle memory.

Oh another thing, for some reason jumping attack (forward + R2/RT) as well as the kick (which is much slower here) are harder to pull off in DkS2, for me.
Don't know if they changed the required timing or something, but half the time i'll just do a normal R2/RT attack, something that would almost never happen in DkS1 or DeS.

Oh and that damn weapon degradatioon is getting on my nerves, too! :p

But this game is like a drug regardless.

akaoni

Banned
I got as far as beating 1 of the primals while trying to coop everything with a friend, but I wasn't paying attention for much of the time as we were doing voice comms, so dialogue was kind of a hassle and I didn't take notice of vendor items and such, and a character that gradually got terrible at everything. I started over and started playing with a character in mind early on and ended up finishing in under 30 hours even without some delays to check stuff I could remember missing. Demon's Souls was 50~ hours and Dark Souls was 60-80~ hours IIRC but I did solo the entirety of those more or less. Putting aside some QoL changes or it being arguably easier, I think I did pretty good. Really fun game. Dedicated matchmaking is pure goodness vs GFWL that never worked.

Adaren

Regarding the backstabbing, in DkS1 too, all you had to do was circle around the mobs with your shield up, but they didn't spin as much as they do here.

And didn't Demon's Souls also had infinite (you could farm them) healing items? Which, btw, healed you much better and much faster than life gems, so you could use them more easily in boss fights.

However, again, i'm still very early in the game (just beat
pursuer
) so maybe i just need to get used to the new rules, as i have some of DeS and DkS ones pretty ingrained in my muscle memory.

Oh another thing, for some reason jumping attack (forward + R2/RT) as well as the kick (which is much slower here) are harder to pull off in DkS2, for me.
Don't know if they changed the required timing or something, but half the time i'll just do a normal R2/RT attack, something that would almost never happen in DkS1 or DeS.

Oh and that damn weapon degradatioon is getting on my nerves, too! :p

But this game is like a drug regardless.

I agree with your assessment of the game, for what its worth. I'm also relatively early (I've collected two of the
great souls
), but a lot of the cheap tricks from DS1 are gone. Parrying is risky, backstabs aren't pants-on-head easy anymore, and the existence of Life Gems is counteracted by their slow healing speed, far fewer Estus charges than DS1, and a much longer Estus drinking animation. 4 slow Estus charges + an effectively infinite supply of Life Gems is WAY harder than 10 fast Estus charges, imo.

After I beat the boss you were just on, I distinctly remember thinking that this game's combat is more challenging than DS1, which is a good thing. From needed to make sure to give us veterans an interesting and novel challenge, and I think they delivered.

I honestly feel like the second boss would have been ludicrously hard for me to solo if I hadn't played Dark Souls 1. How did players who are new to the series find him?

Vitor711

I am as well. It feels like this game has a lot less cool weapons/armour so far. And the cool weapons I have found are all pretty weak.

It's just that I've been using the same ones for 15 hours. FIFTEEN.

Even the lightning spear in DkS 1 didn't last that long. Find it bizarre that they'd leave such a powerful item in an easy to find place 3 hours into the game.

Same with the armour I'm running with. I like being forced to change up often. Even the poison resist etc. are stupid high with my current gear. At least I had to change to the bandit gear in certain areas of the first one. Nothing like that here so far.

Forced to change up rings frequently but that's about it.

Even the lightning spear in DkS 1 didn't last that long. Find it bizarre that they'd leave such a powerful item in an easy to find place 3 hours into the game.

Same with the armour I'm running with. I like being forced to change up often. Even the poison resist etc. are stupid high with my current gear. At least I had to change to the bandit gear in certain areas of the first one. Nothing like that here so far.

Yeah I've had the same weapon and armour for about 7/8 hours now.

It doesn't feel like it keeps upping the difficulty and providing you with new gear that you need to switch to to survive/be competitive like the past games.

Not much sense of progression!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Are you wearing anything? Don't even bother with a shield. Hmmm did you try the other method? Simply run to the edge of the area in any direction.
level 115, still 10 VIT lol.

Ahahaha you dirty mage <3

I went Hex btw, just to shake things up a bit. And fuck me do I feel invincible!

Moff

I've heard that permanently increases their difficulty, even if you go into NG. is that true or does NG reset that?

every NG+ will be even harder then, what you heard is correct
thats actually the point of it
I would choose wisely where you use your astetics, you can get powerful boss drops early with them, or even farm useful boss souls, the spider boss's souls is great for sorcerors, for isntance, I'll farm her with all the astetics I can get

daniels

Doesn't work, it hits multiple times and the first hit depletes all my stamina and the next kills me

Use a gyrm greatshield (100% fire) and two hand it as soon as the dragon flaps his wings
the breath only hits two times and you can block both :3

Vitor711

It doesn't feel like it keeps upping the difficulty and providing you with new gear that you need to switch to to survive/be competitive like the past games.

I disagree with the difficulty. Once you get to
iron keep
you'll definitely switch up. Particularly for enemies who are resistant to slash damage and need strike to be effective against them.

That being said, I just switched to an item I already had in my inventory... another one I found early on. What happened to finding awesome items in the very areas where they'd be useful? I loved getting the lightning spear half way through sen's fortress and then destroying the same enemies who had been giving me issues previously.

I attacked the
Scorpion dude
in Shaded Woods. When I did it looked like he was about to say something. Is he an NPC? How do I reset his aggro?

Facism

Are you wearing anything? Don't even bother with a shield. Hmmm did you try the other method? Simply run to the edge of the area in any direction.

Ahahaha you dirty mage <3

I went Hex btw, just to shake things up a bit. And fuck me do I feel invincible!

I've gone Faith/hex on pc. Dem lightening spears and dem Great Resonant Souls.

Vaporak

The hell are you two going on about. It's standard practice for the Souls games to have good equipment that can last you the whole game be available very early. That why when newbies ask what weapons to use a standard response is just to find one with a moveset you like.

Eh, my first playthrough of Dark Souls featured the lightning spear throughout the whole game. I just never found anything that was better and still usable with my stats. I did also play through DS2 with a Halberd. Maybe I just don't mind sticking to one weapon per character and building it around that I guess.

KrispeKreme

so...I was quite proud of myself killing the Pacifier on my 4th try going solo....

but those fucking Sentinals...... God damn it they are a pain, does not help that getting to that boss is a exercise is frustration as well

There is a shotcut, the door that opens to nothing is actually reachable by walking/rolling from the ledge with the dog, this bypasses all the knights in the rooms.

If you're having trouble with the fight as a melee build try equipping 2 clubs or maces in a power stance and using L2.

seph1roth

Guys i'm trying to use the sweetFX effect from the tweak guide but i don't know how it works.

I mean, i don´t know where to put the files of SweetFX v1.5 and in the article shows this:

http://dl.pcgamer.com/darksouls2/tweak/SweetFX_settings.txt

I copy this "text" to the SweetFX settings and it's done? because i don't see any change on DS2.

I've copied the files to DS2/Game and the there's two SweetFX_settings.txt, one inside the folder SweetFX (with other settings from torchlight 2 and more) and other outside with the fx, injector, etc.

My mind is full of fu*** XD

Yeah, i know...newbie alert T_T

akaoni

Banned
Used my Morning Star from beginning to end, the range can be annoying when it whiffs though. Besides the starter weapon of course.

Gbraga

Finally beat the Iron Keep bosses, went through Belfry Sol (that was it? People were complaining about being invaded all the time for that short thing? I got invaded like 3 or 4 times before clearing it) and then played a bunch of PVP on the first Iron Keep bridge. Is that the new Oolacile Township? The level is certainly similar and great for PVP, even on New Game there were tons of red signs there. The new netcode is sooo good. I only fail to summon a dark phantom when someone was quicker than me, otherwise it's instant. If the fog wall goes up, I'm fighting, no need to wait minutes for nothing.

Really, REALLY disappointed with the Katana power stance though, considering using respec so I can get back my wasted STR points and just go with a Katana and a shield. The only reason I was still using dual Curved Swords was because I wanted a DEX build to dual wield katanas.

If only the L2 with power stance off was a parry like in Dark Souls 1, it would be way more useful. Hell, even with power stance, the L2 is useless. Using Katana X Curved Sword works and I have the parry, but it's ugly >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom