• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

54-46!

Leveling isn't really relative to the first game right? I hit SL70 @ 13 hours.

Anyway, I don't know if the game is easier or if I've gotten better at these games, probably a bit both. It feels like I'm plowing through this game, compared to the DS1 where I got stuck numerous times.

Also, with enemies disappearing the game becomes a lot easier, especially since you can farm souls by assisting other players.

aravuus

Yeah I think it's a total dick move in PvP to attack your opponent while they're fighting A.I. when you're the one instigating the challenge (which is why the Rat covenant is garbage).

Whenever I invade the Bell Tower and I see that the person is already fighting the dwarves, I let them finish that and heal up before engaging. You already have the advantage, so I see no need to be obnoxious about it.

Imo the point of invading is to be ruthless as fuck. Let those other kids have their fancy duels, I'll do literally anything to destroy my targets if I'm invading someone/being invaded. I think it's just stupid to have etiquette in pure invasions but hey, that's just my opinion. I'm gonna be practicing my freedom to be a dick as much as I can.

Anyway, since this thread has been moving so fast and I've slept a long night, has there been any word on ENB kind of stuff and VAC bans? I want the game to look as good as possible. I was gonna do some very light cheating (obviously not against other players) too, but if VAC's as automated as I understand, I better not.

The_Monk

Yesterday I messed up in a area where, 5 seconds later I had a lot of items destroyed, 2 of them were rings and one costs 15000 just to fix it. Can't believe I had 2 rings broken and other pieces of my armour too just like that. It was some sort of things on the floor, like poison, not sure. :/

Zafir

I still don't like the invasion mechanic full stop. You never really get a fair fight. I personally wish I could just turn invasions off(but not coop so burning an effigy isn't an Option) and maybe just have a pvp dueling area or something.

Seems like invading outside of pvp seems non existent mind you.

Facism

NG+ is not quite as buzzing with PVP and co-op as I would have liked... Maybe next week will be better.

Heide's tower is where the early NG+ PVP activity is. Constant invasions by blue bros, especially if you followed Souls tradition of killing every NPC before you went into NG+ :p

d00d3n

So, regarding the VAC monitoring in the game: Would backing up your save file, using your cracked red eye orbs to grief and finally restoring your save file when you are out of orbs be detected as cheating by VAC? (all switching of saves done with the game closed) Obviously, you wouldn't get any progress in Brotherhood of Blood, but it might be fun anyway ...

BPoole

Late game spoilers/whining:

The Ancient Dragon is pissing me off. Getting one shotted by his goddamn fire is so frustrating, especially since the enemies you have to fight through to get to him is probably the hardest part of the game thus far. I honestly don't think I'm going to beat him with my current melee-only build. Any vid I watch for tips just has magic builds shooting really strong magic attacks that also give them an advantage for running away from his fire. I might just have to respec my entire build and go mainly magic.

zkylon

zkylewd
man poison is impossible to deal with

i got the ring and have a total of 319 poison resist and i still get poisoned super easy

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so I get summoned as a gray spirit, Im attacked by npcs AND the player. This si what people think is fun pvp? Im not trashing it as I dont like pvp in general in any game, but usually pvp is player vs player, not player vs npcs+players :/

anyway, Gutter was short enough that it wasnt offensive (and I had plenty butterflies), Black Gulch is slightly annoying, at least I found a bonfire (thanks to a helpful message, as its very easy to miss). Also ive started to upgrade multiple weapons instead of leveling for a bit, because Im finding myself breaking (well not breaking because I dont let them break) weapons a lot more lately.

so I get summoned as a gray spirit, Im attacked by npcs AND the player. This si what people think is fun pvp? Im not trashing it as I dont like pvp in general in any game, but usually pvp is player vs player, not player vs npcs+players :/

anyway, Gutter was short enough that it wasnt offensive, Black Gulch is slightly annoying, at least I found a bonfire (thanks to a helpful message, as its very easy to miss). Also ive started to upgrade multiple weapons instead of leveling for a bit, because Im finding myself breaking (well not breaking because I dont let them break) weapons a lot more lately.

Actually I was wondering does upgrading weapons increase their durability? Because my Greatsword depletes way too quickly for it to be useful.

Jintor

That's just the rat covenant man. Dealwithit.gif

I'm not even sure what the point is though since it's not like you lose souls or anything when you get vanquished as a grey spirit... I guess making it hard for Rats to get lockstones?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Actually I was wondering does upgrading weapons increase their durability? Because my Greatsword depletes way too quickly for it to be useful.

my +10 Greatsword says...no. I dont think so at least

Yesterday I messed up in a area where, 5 seconds later I had a lot of items destroyed, 2 of them were rings and one costs 15000 just to fix it. Can't believe I had 2 rings broken and other pieces of my armour too just like that. It was some sort of things on the floor, like poison, not sure. :/
Same happened to me, watch out for the yellow puddles in the cave near the area where these lion-warrior-guys hang around, they are destroying your equipment extremely fast.

The_Monk

Same happened to me, watch out for the yellow puddles in the cave near the area where these lion-warrior-guys hang around, they are destroying your equipment extremely fast.

Yes, I found this in the worst way possible...! There also seems to be a locked door in there, anyone care to give me an hint? I might want to go there without any equipment at all, to avoid more damage.

impact

Banned
Yes, I found this in the worst way possible...! There also seems to be a locked door in there, anyone care to give me an hint? I might want to go there without any equipment at all, to avoid more damage.
One of those petrified lions in that area

Rhaknar

The key is in the same area, I also missed it.

Heide's tower is where the early NG+ PVP activity is. Constant invasions by blue bros, especially if you followed Souls tradition of killing every NPC before you went into NG+ :p

I'm having a bit of luck here and there as a Blue Sentinel. I want the 150 kills so I can get Wrath of the Gods! Up to... 28 so far :p Still a ways to go.

Forest of Fallen Giants is also quite active, even though I keep meeting the same 4-5 people primarily. Still fun and it should get more active once more people get into the higer SM ranges.

Also met my first two cheaters today. Unlimited health, yay! Managed to knock one down into the lizard pit in FoFG and just watched him struggle there for a few minutes, since he couldn't die but also couldn't get close enough to the lizards to kill them, since they kept knocking him down. Serves you right.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

The Ancient Dragon is pissing me off. Getting one shotted by his goddamn fire is so frustrating, especially since the enemies you have to fight through to get to him is probably the hardest part of the game thus far. I honestly don't think I'm going to beat him with my current melee-only build. Any vid I watch for tips just has magic builds shooting really strong magic attacks that also give them an advantage for running away from his fire. I might just have to respec my entire build and go mainly magic.

No, no, NO! STOP!

don't respec! You can pretty much skip every single enemy if you time your runs right. The last one is a bit tricky, so make sure you bait his attack when you run past him. It'll give you a couple of valuable seconds to get into the fog.

Strip off your gear and wear your stamina rings, focus your attacks on his back foot and whenever he flaps his wings (your signal) run as fast as you can towards his tail, the fire AoE won't reach you there. Rinse and repeat. Yeah, it's a pretty dull fight

I'm having a bit of luck here and there as a Blue Sentinel. I want the 150 kills so I can get Wrath of the Gods! Up to... 28 so far :p Still a ways to go.

WotG is so worth it. I deal ~2000 damage with it to everyone. Pretty much a one shot kill in most cases. Went to NG++ to get it though, screw the Sentinels or BoB requirements. Don't know what From thought there.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WotG is so worth it. I deal ~2000 damage with it to everyone. Pretty much a one shot kill in most cases. Went to NG++ to get it though, screw the Sentinels or BoB requirements. Don't know what from thought there.

It's such a delicious opening though ;)

would be quicker to power through to ng++ if you want that :p

But all I want is PVP :( (29 kills so far)

I know it'll be better if I wait a few days, I'm probably being a bit hasty. On PS3 I didn't start doing proper PVP until I had finished NG+ and then it was nearly constant invasions of all kinds.

Fake edit: 30 kills! Though he was AFK, it still counts!

So my feelings towards the game so far are a bit mixed.

On one hand, it's a great game. Clearly it's better than 95% of games that come out.

But Dark Souls was in that elite top 5% and it disappoints me I'm not enjoying this as much as Dark Souls and that I think most of the flaws are rather big design errors.

I'm not getting too sad about it because all of the preview coverage etc flagged up a lot of the things I don't like (disconnected world, shorter areas, easier, etc) but at the same time I feel like maybe this is the beginning of a downward slope for the Souls game.

Obviously this is is a completely premature thing to say (especially since I haven't even finished the game yet - only 15 hours in), but it feels like the game was compromised to appeal to a wider audience.

I initially loved the fact that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls got the retrospective love it deserved from a wider crowd, but now I think that was the point where the series can never be the same again.

I could be wrong of course and Dark Souls 3 could be a return to utter greatness, but I'm not sure I see it happening. Most franchises go down a bad path once they take the first few steps, and this game is those first few steps down that bad path...

BUT, like I said, it's still a great game, I'm just a stupidly insane Souls fan and ultra critical that the fact a lot of the things I loved about the first Dark Souls game has changed or vanished in this one.

Judging by this thread, I'm not alone in feeling a weird conflict of enjoyment from this game but sadness that it's not quite what it should be!

Skab

But all I want is PVP :( (29 kills so far)

I know it'll be better if I wait a few days, I'm probably being a bit hasty. On PS3 I didn't start doing proper PVP until I had finished NG+ and then it was nearly constant invasions of all kinds.

Fake edit: 30 kills! Though he was AFK, it still counts!

You know there is a Blue Sentinel arena that counts towards your rank, right? You duel other Blue Sentinels.

Go to the statues next to the Blue Caths bonfire.

I had a small question:
Considering that enemies stop respawning after ten times, I assume this also makes it impossible to farm decent amounts of titanite shards and what not? There were a few weapons I wanted to upgrade, but I'm guessing that's a bad idea.

Titanite Shards (and L. Shards) can be bought in infinite amounts after certain points in the game. Chunks can be farmed in a certain PVP covenant.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

On one hand, it's a great game. Clearly it's better than 95% of games that come out.

But Dark Souls was in that elite top 5% and it disappoints me I'm not enjoying this as much as Dark Souls and that I think most of the flaws are rather big design errors.

I'm not getting too sad about it because all of the preview coverage etc flagged up a lot of the things I don't like (disconnected world, shorter areas, easier, etc) but at the same time I feel like maybe this is the beginning of a downward slope for the Souls game.

Obviously this is is a completely premature thing to say (especially since I haven't even finished the game yet - only 15 hours in), but it feels like the game was compromised to appeal to a wider audience.

I initially loved the fact that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls got the retrospective love it deserved from a wider crowd, but now I think that was the point where the series can never be the same again.

I could be wrong of course and Dark Souls 3 could be a return to utter greatness, but I'm not sure I see it happening. Most franchises go down a bad path once they take the first few steps, and this game is those first few steps down that bad path...

BUT, like I said, it's still a great game, I'm just a stupidly insane Souls fan and ultra critical that the fact a lot of the things I loved about the first Dark Souls game has changed or vanished in this one.

Judging by this thread, I'm not alone in feeling a weird conflict of enjoyment from this game but sadness that it's not quite what it should be!

nice name.

I feel the same way to be honest, but who knows maybe you'll change your mind later on? 15 hours is way too early in DS2. The second half of the game is much much better than the disjointed first so there's that!

nice name.

I feel the same way to be honest, but who knows maybe you'll change your mind later on? 15 hours is way too early in DS2. The second half of the game is much much better than the disjointed first so there's that!

Here's hoping - like I said I know it's premature to judge, just spilling out my brains as I wait to get home and play it more! Ha.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I cannot decide if I want to use the Mastodon Halberd or the Black Knight Halberd. I am mainly strength so maybe the Mastodon is better...

I cannot decide if I want to use the Mastodon Halberd or the Black Knight Halberd. I am mainly strength so maybe the Mastodon is better...

Mastodon Halberd is fantastic. Used it in the second half of my melee only playtrough and it served me very well. BKH is great, but with high strength Mastodon will have a more consistent damage output.

Matteoj8

You can just run and avoid the enemies to him...it is a crappy run regardless though.

Arkanius

Guys, ENB modifications might look dark and edgy, but all the detail and blacks are completely crushed. I wouldn't be able to play with that :(
There are other modifications (probably more lower level like the light sources) that needed to be done to get it closer to DS2 reveal.

For example, Huntsman Copse in Network Test 1 looks exactly the same. The only difference is that you get no glow from your character in the dark, and it seems brightness is lower.

Vitor711

Yeah I think it's a total dick move in PvP to attack your opponent while they're fighting A.I. when you're the one instigating the challenge (which is why the Rat covenant is garbage).

Whenever I invade the Bell Tower and I see that the person is already fighting the dwarves, I let them finish that and heal up before engaging. You already have the advantage, so I see no need to be obnoxious about it.

I got invaded by someone in Belfry Sol, was about to wreck them, then had a second phantom invade me. Such bullsh*t. No way I'm specced to deal with two at once. I could have easily taken them on solo but seriously, two vs one is absurd. Also, it's like a 50/50 toss-up as to whether or not PVP will be playable or so riddled with lag as to make it brutally unfair. At least in other games I can check my ping before accepting a match up.

Also, I'm so bored of my equipment still. I did a total respec last night, going from Dex. to full Str. However, my fire broadsword (you know, the thing you find 3 hours in) is still better than any other item I have. All I've added with the extra Str. is the Dragonrider shield. However, due to the fact End. no longer effects equip load, having to dump a bunch of points into a relatively useless stat just to stay mobile is somewhat annoying. Now my stamina takes ages to recharge and I can barely get off more than a few attacks with the heavier weapons.

Wish I actually had some decent upgrade items. The only petrified bone I had I accidentally used on a terrible curved sword I got from a boss. I have another Soul Vessel so may respec back. Or not. I dunno, have been struggling finding a load-out that I enjoy.

Still using Drangleic armour, still using fire broadsword. zzzzZZZZZ. 20 hours in and soul level 120. Nothing is better, it's just frustrating. I occasionally use the Alonne Captain armour for the extra poise and because it looks better but nothing beats my upgraded starter items. They really need to find better pacing for stuff like this. Have similar issues in DkS 1 but not to this extent.

So how do I pass through illusion walls? Hitting or rolling into them doesn't do anything. I think I pressed A/X once and it worked. Either all these highly messages are lying or I'm doing something wrong

So how do I pass through illusion walls? Hitting or rolling into them doesn't do anything. I think I pressed A/X once and it worked. Either all these highly messages are lying or I'm doing something wrong
Some messages are just troll messages. Most illusory walls are 'press X', a very small number of breakable walls are also in the game - some attackable, some combustable.

Soulhouf

I share your feelings after clearing the game 4 times.
As someone else said, the 2nd part is really great but once you fully understand the mechanics and go to NG+ the game's flaws will become even more visible.
There are many great new ideas but also so many dumb ones as far as the game/level design go, which is unfortunate.

Great name and avatar BTW!

drakkykun

I had a small question:
Considering that enemies stop respawning after ten times, I assume this also makes it impossible to farm decent amounts of titanite shards and what not? There were a few weapons I wanted to upgrade, but I'm guessing that's a bad idea.
You can use a bonfire ascetic everytime they stop spawning, endlessly.

I share your feelings after clearing the game 4 times.
As someone else said, the 2nd part is really great but once you fully understand the mechanics and go to NG+ the game's flaws will become even more visible.
There are many great new ideas but also so many dumb ones as far as the game/level design go, which is unfortunate.

Great name and avatar BTW!

Thank you :)

4 times already - yikes!

I agree that there are a lot of great new ideas - if they combined them with what DS already had this game could be an unstoppable beast. One step forward, two steps back in a lot of cases...

UrbanRats

You think the game's easier? I'm actually finding it somewhat harder!

Maybe i'm just remembering my first days with DkS1 wrong, but it feels like here it's harder to backstab, parry, even plunging! And haven't fought many bosses yet (barely 2) but
Pursuer
was harder than
Capra
, imo which, as soon as you
took down the two dogs, could easily be handled with the stairs
Add to that the fact that every time you die you lose HP, even if you're undead.

Maybe the game becomes easier (i'm at the start, still), but i'd say so far, DkS1 was the easiest of the three, for me.

Oh, and i played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom