• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hell are you two going on about. It's standard practice for the Souls games to have good equipment that can last you the whole game be available very early. That why when newbies ask what weapons to use a standard response is just to find one with a moveset you like.

In the last games I was always finding new and cool equipment to upgrade to.

The Drake sword felt like cheating so I didn't use it :p

Vitor711

The hell are you two going on about. It's standard practice for the Souls games to have good equipment that can last you the whole game be available very early. That why when newbies ask what weapons to use a standard response is just to find one with a moveset you like.

Except things like the Drake sword were quite obtuse to get. You had to know to look for them. The items I'm using currently are just things you find lying around. It feels quite different because of that.

Also, the moment that I got certain boss souls, I instantly did everything I could to form the relevant weapon (i.e. queelag's furysword). But none of the boss weapons so far have even touched my starting gear.

Gbraga

Except things like the Drake sword were quite obtuse to get. You had to know to look for them. The items I'm using at the moment are just things you find lying around. It feels quite different because of that.

Also, the moment that I got certain boss souls, I instantly did everything I could to form the relevant weapon (i.e. queelag's furysword). But none of the boss weapons so far have even touched my starting gear.

Maybe you just wasn't lucky with your early gear on Dark Souls 1? On my first playthrough I bought the Reinforced Club, and it's still my favorite weapon in the game, even after making Uchigatana/Iaito/Ciaran's daggers/Zweihander builds (and you can get the Uchi and Zwei really early too, you can also get the Great Scythe, but you have to know what you're doing to get it super early, so I won't consider it).

The Drake Sword isn't even really good at all after you upgrade any decent weapon a bit.

What's this I'm hearing about potentially getting banned for using graphic mods? Can somebody fill me in?
I am unsure of the details since it's finals week and I have been browsing during my break times. Anyways dark souls 2 is official listed as a VAC. I know Durante mention VAC can ban you so use it at your own risk. But will VAC actually ban? Who knows?

KrispeKreme

Eh, my first playthrough of Dark Souls featured the lightning spear throughout the whole game. I just never found anything that was better and still usable with my stats. I did also play through DS2 with a Halberd. Maybe I just don't mind sticking to one weapon per character and building it around that I guess.

Souls has a long tradition of breaking gaming tropes such as finding better items as you progress through the game. The drake sword was good for half or 2/3 of the game, even better was the Zweihander and Claymore which are available very early.

DS2 continues the tradition with the Drangleic set after persuers, and the lowly club can easily take you through the whole game. T

Vaporak

In the last games I was always finding new and cool equipment to upgrade to.

The Drake sword felt like cheating so I didn't use it :p

Except things like the Drake sword were quite obtuse to get. You had to know to look for them. The items I'm using currently are just things you find lying around. It feels quite different because of that.

Zweihander, Baldurs Side Sword, Uchigatana, and others are all top of the top teir weapons available in the first couple areas. This isn't even counting just standard buyable items like reinforced club or something like the long sword that plenty of people use the whole game. I repeat, what you are lamenting as problem in DS2 is something the all the Souls games are well known for having.

Forkball

In N
o Man's Wharf. Stupid Lucatiel gets glitched right before the fog gate. Only got Flexile Sentry down to 40%... COULD'VE BEEN MORE WITH HER HELP MAYBE.

Gbraga

How much Int/Faith do I need to get a decent damage boost from using buff spells? Considering dropping the dual wielding after being disappointed with the katana moveset and going with a shield/katana and buffing it with some magic.

Zweihander, Baldurs Side Sword, Uchigatana, and others are all top of the top teir weapons available in the first couple areas. This isn't even counting just standard buyable items like reinforced club or something like the long sword that plenty of people use the whole game. I repeat, what you are lamenting as problem in DS2 is something the all the Souls games are well known for having.

And more importantly, a good thing, not a problem at all.

In N
o Man's Wharf. Stupid Lucatiel gets glitched right before the fog gate. Only got Flexile Sentry down to 40%... COULD'VE BEEN MORE WITH HER HELP MAYBE.
Try to always be in front of the side with the 2 maces, he is super slow and you can hit him a lot when he pauses after his attack. also: be fast before the water gets to high and you became really slow because of the water

but those fucking Sentinals...... God damn it they are a pain, does not help that getting to that boss is a exercise is frustration as well

Yup, that's where I'm at. I've done maybe 6-7 runs so far (including being summoned) and havn't beaten them at all. Getting there is getting a bit easier now that I can one shot the smaller guys / dogs.

I took a detour to No-Man's Wharf and found it easier than expected. Mostly one shot'd the pirate guys. I'm missing a key to
light the place up
, which should make it easier to run around. Should be able to take down the boss today with the NPC summon.

Speaking of....can someone spoiler which achievements are 'missable' in a current playthrough.

Try to always be in front of the side with the 2 maces, he is super slow and you can hit him a lot when he pauses after his attack. also: be fast before the water gets to high and you became really slow because of the water

oh wow, Had no idea that even happened. Very cool

Yeah, I don't get most complaints people are having about this game. Some complaints are just plain wrong. It's like people want this to be a worse game than Dark Souls 1.

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm i just ran into pate again in the poison windmill place but can't access the door next to him

should i be able to?

i've been looking all over the place and exhausted every option except using the pharros stone cos there were warning messages all over the room about using it lol

Jintor

tumblr_n4qn7oyAVy1sqjs7io1_500.jpg

tumblr_n4qn7oyAVy1sqjs7io2_500.jpg

nope.gif

Facism

at the pace this thread is going it's going hit OT2 before the Titanfall thread lol

hmm i just ran into pate again in the poison windmill place but can't access the door next to him

should i be able to?

i've been looking all over the place and exhausted every option except using the pharros stone cos there were warning messages all over the room about using it lol

don't worry, you can drop down behind the door after a little exploring. it opens from the other side

Shahadan

Too many times now I've tried to show an illusory wall to another player and he would just try to attack the wall. I don't know how to make them understand you need to use A.

Just trying out the Company of champion's covenant now on a new character and loving it. I really should have done this from the start I think, nearly 300 hours logged in the previous games meant this one was pretty easy at the default difficulty, but I've died a few times in early areas in the CC already, hell even the Last Giant nearly killed me.

Also, does anyone know if alters how enemies fight you? I could swear they use their shields a lot more effectively now, and seem more aggressive than before. Can anyone confirm that?

zkylon

zkylewd
don't worry, you can drop down behind the door after a little exploring. it opens from the other side
you mean i should keep looking in that area?

i know there's like a balcony i haven't accessed yet but no idea how to reach it either

btw i haven't killed the sleeping knight yet cos i didn't feel like waking him but now i kind of want his armor. is there only one of him or are there many, cause i've ran into him in a couple dungeons already?

Forkball

So I'm at NMW and I haven't upgraded any of my weapons. AM I PLAYING THE GAME RIGHT? I don't want to waste my titanite, but I need to hit harder.

Mistel

Banned
Dude, I tried what you said and am still a little bored. Respecced for Str and, other than the giant club thing I have (and love), the great shields are so heavy that my stamina recharges super slow. Can't seem to keep below 70% equip load without sacrificing armour. Is that worth the hit?

Got the Alonne Captain gear and, while it looks awesome and the poise is real nice, again, the equip burden is silly and it's still worse than my upgraded Drangleic set. Any suggestions? Should I just put points into upping my load? I'm already at the point of diminishing returns at around 30 where each increase only gets me +1.
You haven't got soldiers ring or the dragon crest one for upping your equip load have you? Alonne captain is better in the long run upgrades wise so stick with it. You should just get Pate's shield or the twin dragon for the lighter great shields.

Iron Keep is in the earlier part of the game? o_O
(just got there, my Great Club seems OP)
Strike damage makes mincemeat out of all of the ironclads and Alonne knights. I'd say it's before the halfway mark myself.

Quite a few people saying the second half is better - I am excited.

If it's true, it's a shame the quality wasn't matched in the first half.
Yep it's like post Anor Londo only in reverse this time the first half is kinda meh but majority of the second part is pretty alright.

Gbraga

I wanna update a greatsword when my endurance is high enough. Right now I'm rocking a mace, which is really effective... but greatsword.

You only use Titanite Shards in this game until +3 iirc, get it at least there and then save the large and chunks for the Greatsword.

I don't know exactly what the resins do, but that's what the buff spells do.

The resins will give you a buff of some element to your regular weapon, like buff spells did in the first game, rendering resins kinda useless (since they were kinda expensive and hard to find). But now you either infuse your weapon or spend money, no easy way (as far as I know). I like it.

Vitor711

You haven't got soldiers ring or the dragon crest one for upping your equip load have you? Alonne captain is better in the long run upgrades wise so stick with it. You should just get Pate's shield or the twin dragon for the lighter great shields.

Guessing I can't get Pate's shield if I killed him...? Oooops. He seemed shifty, and
his companion made a compelling case against the guy

And no, I don't have either of those items. Where would I find them? Am I still far away (just beat the
Black Gulch
area)?

Yeah, I don't get most complaints people are having about this game. Some complaints are just plain wrong. It's like people want this to be a worse game than Dark Souls 1.

Hardly. I am enjoying the game and didn't go in with any negative expectations. Barring the smaller areas, it's on a par for me so far. As for the weapons - yes, you could find good stuff early on, but it was often superseded by non-upgraded boss gear. All the boss gear I've found so far is substantially worse. I was also forced to equip different armour sets for the innate resistance to certain status effects. No need to do that any more when my Drangleic armour has high status resistance as well as high physical resistance.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't raelly think the first part is bad, it's just a bit underwhelming since dungeons seem too short and sometimes they don't lead anywhere. like you beat the chariot and you're greeted with some dude and a bonfire. i don't even know why i even fought chariot in the first place.

the cohesiveness is also true, so far you never suddenly end up back in the beginning and areas seems like they just go on until they just end and that's it.

it's also kind of easy and bosses aren't too scary either. feels like i've been fighting a bunch of pinwheels or something.

i still like it cos exploring is awesome and this is not lost izalith bad by any means but yeah this first part is pretty meh.

About weapons being useful for the whole game, that doesn't feel too different. In DS1 I found a Black Knight Sword fairly early on that carried me all the way to the end. Here I've been using the Heide Knight Sword for about 15 hours. Thinking about putting another 5 points into DEX to equip the Drangleic sword now, is it worth it? I'm at Earthen Peak.

maomaoIYP

The resins will give you a buff of some element to your regular weapon, like buff spells did in the first game, rendering resins kinda useless (since they were kinda expensive and hard to find). But now you either infuse your weapon or spend money, no easy way (as far as I know). I like it.

Infusion is the way to great damage in this game. I've never been sure about resins.

elfinke

Finally ditched my old faithful Bastard Sword +5 (and it's twin backup, +5 fire) for a Claymore at +10. Love the heavy swing combo. The Mastodon Sword looks ace, and has a great name, shame it weighs so damn much. Just finished cleaving apart the Ornstein and Smough of Drangleic, now done for the evening I think.

Itching to burn some boss souls on new weapons, but indecision is ruining me!

yatesl

Man, I don't swear often, but fuck the R
oyal Rat Authorit
y. I must have died about 20~30 times on him. Thankfully there's a bonfire right outside the door.

The worst bit is, on attempt ~20, I managed to kill him. He did his final attack, and I was like "This is it" and spammed R1. I didn't notice my health though - I killed him, then a second later I died... turns out that doesn't count.

I've never hated the Souls series so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom