• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
Guessing I can't get Pate's shield if I killed him...? Oooops. He seemed shifty, and
his companion made a compelling case against the guy

And no, I don't have either of those items. Where would I find them? Am I still far away (just beat the
Black Gulch
area)?
You can get the first soldiers ring in No man's wharf and you can get the second dragon crest ring in shaded woods. You can buy Pates shield from melintia.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, wow, the advice to use my soapstone to play a boss first, then call in others to help has completely changed this game for me.

I was unable to deal with the constant boss runs just to get killed immediately in the previous games. Now, I am loving the game.

Could you do the same thing in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1? I'm definitely going back and playing these games if they allow for it...

And what is the deal with the PC SKU of DS1's GFW implementation? Is it going to be replaced? Will all save games get killed?

the cohesiveness is also true, so far you never suddenly end up back in the beginning and areas seems like they just go on until they just end and that's it.

Completely agree. That's one of the things I loved about Dark Souls. Unlocking shortcuts through the world and how all the pieces fit together. In DS2, you seem to only unlock shortcuts through the levels.

I am finding more path options currently though, so that's good.

matmanx1

Patch worked for me. I was finally able to boot the game last night and play for a few minutes. I'm not using any mods but with just the in-game settings set to maximum, I think the game is quite good looking!

I didn't have a lot of time last night so I didn't go any further than the tutorial area but the fact that I can at least launch the game is pretty good news at this point.

Ok, wow, the advice to use my soapstone to play a boss first, then call in others to help has completely changed this game for me.

I was unable to deal with the constant boss runs just to get killed immediately in the previous games. Now, I am loving the game.

Could you do the same thing in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1? I'm definitely going back and playing these games if they allow for it...

And what is the deal with the PC SKU of DS1's GFW implementation? Is it going to be replaced? Will all save games get killed?

I actually had no idea about this either until this game and that boss. I played ds1 sp only all the way up to dragon in crystal cave then my ps3 broke. I enjoy boss battles more playing with others tbh.

didamangi

Need a small hint about Lost Bastille,
that locked door with the dogs, will I find the key in Lost Bastille as well? I've cleared the area and run around multiple times but I can't seem to find it.
Just need a little nudge on the right direction please :)

Man, I don't swear often, but fuck the R
oyal Rat Authorit
y. I must have died about 20~30 times on him. Thankfully there's a bonfire right outside the door.

The worst bit is, on attempt ~20, I managed to kill him. He did his final attack, and I was like "This is it" and spammed R1. I didn't notice my health though - I killed him, then a second later I died... turns out that doesn't count.

I've never hated the Souls series so much.

Yeah, I need iike 7-8 tries before I got lucky and
killed all the rats and successfully block his first attack, after that I kept close to his side stomach so he can't get me with his attack
, it went down not so long after, so keep at it.

So, that Iron Keep
final boss
, what a pushover. Especially after
smelter demon
, I don't know how many times I died trying to solo him,
the flame sword
always gets me since I still can't dodge roll consistently enough. Even the enemies disappeared after the many respawned on the bonfire, that's disheartening.

Finally gave up
and summon Lucatiel :(

yatesl

Yeah, you could do that in all of them. Like in this, you have to be human to summon people, though. I only did it twice in Dark Souls - O&S, and to get the tail from
Seathe

I don't know what the community's like on PS3, but I know you can create a topic on the Dark Souls Steam forum, and within a few hours someone will likely reply offering help. If you use DSFix and DSCFix, you can even guarantee connecting to that person.

DS1 still has GFWL. GFWL is supposed to be going down in July (although there's been no official confirmation, I don't think?). No word on it being patched out and, if it is, who knows if the saves will work.

Yeah, I need iike 7-8 tries before I got lucky and
killed all the rats and successfully block his first attack, after that I kept close to his side stomach so he can't get me with his attack
, it went down not so long after, so keep at it.

Yeah, I beat him shortly before that post. I did the same as the other time (to be fair, once the adds are down, he's easy), but this time I rolled way back when he did the attack and just pumped him with arrows.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I saw one as "Incredible Hulk" in co-op yesterday. Sadly I didn't have Steam Overlay on to catch a picture. :( Forgot I disabled it for Durante's VAC ban tool. :(

Still not VAC banned since I NOPE.gif'd once people started to catch bans from it.

HoosTrax

As far as the GFWL in DS1 --

Bamco's other game, Ace Combat AHE, had a pretty nice transition from GFWL to Steamworks, where they enabled the ability to port both your save files as well as your achievements to Steam cloud and Steam achievements.

Need a small hint about Lost Bastille,
that locked door with the dogs, will I find the key in Lost Bastille as well? I've cleared the area and run around multiple times but I can't seem to find it.
Just need a little nudge on the right direction please :)
There is a key, but you have to defeat an optional boss to get it. The optional boss requires a Pharros Stone to reach.

Spoiler tip
The wall has a big crack in it and is destructible Roll one of the gunpowder barrels next to the wall, and throw a firebomb at it, or hit it with a fire weapon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As far as the GFWL in DS1 --

Bamco's other game, Ace Combat AHE, had a pretty nice transition from GFWL to Steamworks, where they enabled the ability to port both your save files as well as your achievements to Steam cloud and Steam achievements.

Oh, that's good news. Especially the fact that they gave an awful game such attention. Fares well for DS1...

zkylon

zkylewd
qi think i'm reaching spider cave (just got to iron keep)

any kind soul could hint me what i should be looking for as a warning? i don't really mind spoilers for this, if you tell me "at x place, y dies and then z door opens that leads into the cave" that'd be terrific

Completely agree. That's one of the things I loved about Dark Souls. Unlocking shortcuts through the world and how all the pieces fit together. In DS2, you seem to only unlock shortcuts through the levels.

I am finding more path options currently though, so that's good.
i'm more surprised with how many paths just lead to a closed off bonfire with like an item and a npc and that's it

it's weird cos many of these places are actually really cool and could easily be developed further. most dungeons feel like they're over before their time and in the end you're just overloaded with dungeons and areas which feel kind of unfinished.

like i'm really disoriented in where the hell i am, with boat rides and elevators and giant eagles and such

didn't play it in consoles but on pc dks1 gfwl made finding people really really hard so, not really.

like i did a lot of sunbroing on S&O cos that was the most requested place but i never managed to get summoned much elsewhere. i think i helped someone against manus and that might be it.

netcode being so much better really enables jolly cooperation like never before :3

GRIP

Yes, but the online communities aren't nearly as active as they currently are for DaSII, so you might have a hard time finding help or getting summoned in some areas.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
KzgKDnJ.jpg

I have no idea what to put points into next, I think I made a mistake putting so much in STR and Dex!

I sort of want to start using Hexes but that means pumping a lot into FTH. I also need alot more into VIT for better armor. I think my idea for a tanky melee/caster is far fetched.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've seen several highly-rated notes that say "Illusionary wall". And not matter what I do to the wall (press A on it, roll into it, jump into it, hit it with a weapon) nothing happens. Many times these notes are flush against where the wall is... are they actually blocking my ability to press A on the wall?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've seen several highly-rated notes that say "Illusionary wall". And not matter what I do to the wall (press A on it, roll into it, jump into it, hit it with a weapon) nothing happens. Many times these notes are flush against where the wall is... are they actually blocking my ability to press A on the wall?

Message trollin'.

Some are troll msgs I imagine

Vitor711

You can get the first soldiers ring in No man's wharf and you can get the second dragon crest ring in shaded woods. You can buy Pates shield from melintia.

No Man's Wharf was an area I rushed through in co-op. The guy I summoned was on a mission. Barely had any time to explore. Last time I went back there though to try and get my bearings, I was impatient and stupid, losing 30,000 souls. I'll go back and go for that ring, thanks for the help.

Also, I have to say how much the active online community has transformed the game for me. I imported DeS before its western release so the serve situation was weird. DkS 1 had GFWL nonsense which means I rarely managed to summon anyone.

But now, wow. I usually tackle a boss as a phantom first time to learn its move and then try to solo it. Changes the game and makes it much more fun. I've lost the initial "OMG a boss fear" and actually look forward to them. Being a part of the Sun covenant helps too. Co-op is great. I think I finally understand the Monster Hunter crowd.

eot

Banned
49155125.jpg

Earthen Peak
This level did not need three bonfires, in fact I think it only needed one (the middle one). It removes so much of the tension when the trek to each bonfire is so short. Compare this level to Sen's, which had a single deviously placed bonfire and was more unforgiving in general. It wasn't just a set of individual challenges, the whole level was one long test of endurance. The areas before it also had too many bonfires. Harvest Valley didn't need the first one, it took away the intimidation factor of the fatties as you respawn seconds away from them. Huntsman's Copse didn't need the last bonfire, the skeleton boss was easy and a longer trek would've made it more tense. I want to be relieved when I find a new bonfire, not have half my estus left.

LegatoB

Are you saying that yes, indeed, it is blocking my ability to press "A" on the wall?
Actual hidden walls always have priority over reading messages when you're mashing A, so what you're seeing is a prank message someone put up which got highly rated because everyone's mashing A to open the wall and rating it instead. Pro tactics.

Durante

I'm having game withdrawal at work. This is already the second time this happened this year (first was M&M X), while I don't think it ever happened in 2013. What a great year.

What's the death toll at now?

Actual hidden walls always have priority over reading messages when you're mashing A, so what you're seeing is a prank message someone put up which got highly rated because everyone's mashing A to open the wall and rating it instead. Pro tactics.
Isn't the rating box defaulting to cancel?

Quikies83

God damn you
Vendrick!!!!!! This fight isn't that hard but got damn he packs a punch. One mistake, done... I'm holding 4 giant souls too...
My rage is so hard.

Vitor711

oyal Rat Authorit
y. I must have died about 20~30 times on him. Thankfully there's a bonfire right outside the door.

The worst bit is, on attempt ~20, I managed to kill him. He did his final attack, and I was like "This is it" and spammed R1. I didn't notice my health though - I killed him, then a second later I died... turns out that doesn't count.

Ha, am I the only one who enjoyed this boss despite the multiple attempts it required?

I consider it more in the vein of a puzzle boss than anything else. Seriously, all it took was one full stamina combo from my fire broadsword to kill him.

It was the most interesting and different boss I've experienced so far. Really set itself apart from the other Souls ones.

That being said, you and the boss both simultaneously dying should result in it being recorded as a victory. That was the case in DkS 1 anyway (I once had a boss fall of a ledge after killing me and it counted, lol).

Gbraga

I'm having game withdrawal at work. This is already the second time this happened this year (first was M&M X), while I don't think it ever happened in 2013. What a great year.

What's the death toll at now?

Isn't the rating box defaulting to cancel?

I'm not suffering at work for not being able to play it, but I'm not sleeping enough because of this game >_>

Shito

So question. If I do NG+ do summon/summoning work with people who are still on their first playthrough or ng+ only?
Seems like it works, as it was the case for DS1.
Helped a few people on some bosses I liked at the end of my first run on PS3, and a few times I clearly was matched with people on an NG+ or more: was doing way less damage, and got one-shotted once on a boss that used to hit me at 60% before...

Maybesew

Did online play go down for anyone else just now? I was fighting a boss as a phantom, got booted back to my world, and now I can't create my summon sign.

Atrophis

Ha, am I the only one who enjoyed this boss despite the multiple attempts it required?

I consider it more in the vein of a puzzle boss than anything else. Seriously, all it took was one full stamina combo from my fire broadsword to kill him.

It was the most interesting and different boss I've experienced so far. Really set itself apart from the other Souls ones.

I've tried him about 5 times...still don't think I've managed to hit him yet :(

yatesl

That being said, you and the boss both simultaneously dying should result in it being recorded as a victory. That was the case in DkS 1 anyway (I once had a boss fall of a ledge after killing me and it counted, lol).
I quit the first game for a couple of months because of Capra Demon, if that gives you any indication of my feelings on it.

Vitor711

I've tried him about 5 times...still don't think I've managed to hit him yet :(

Just skirt around the area. I was two-shotting the rats. If you move around enough, eventually he'll come separated from the pack. 1 combo and he's dead.

It's about patience, finding space and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Pretty much everything that I love about the Souls' games.

And never attack a grouped up bunch of rats. Make sure you're fighting them in the side lanes - not the middle ones. You shouldn't take any damage. And don't get greedy - if the boss itself isn't isolated, don't rush in as his attacks do stupendous damage and will insta-poison you.

I quit the first game for a couple of months because of Capra Demon, if that gives you any indication of my feelings on it.

Oh f*ck the Capra Demon. That stuff wasn't fun. At least RRA has the decency to place a bonfire right outside to combat the fact that it's highly likely you won't work out how to beat it first time. Capra made no such concessions and just felt cheap.

It's supposedly being patched out. I don't know how save files work with GFWL games, so I'm not sure if the saves will be carried over or not. My save file is already gone anyway... :(

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
oyal Rat Authorit

I've had my fair share of miserable boss encounters, but I beat him on my first try (although I got a lucky estus chug at one point, otherwise I'd have surely died). What worked really well for me was
dodging towards him, under his belly and attacking his hind legs
. Trying to fight him head on is too risky, I feel.

ElFly

I swear I've seen it default to confirm before.

That, or we're all instinctively hitting left + A whenever we encounter such a message. Both are possible.

Maybe the Xbawks version is different, but on PS3 and PC it defaults to cancel.

At one point I had the instinct to rate everything and still had to do left + button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom