• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

Do you use the power stance a lot or do you prefer to just use the regular dual wielding? I have two Blacksteel Katanas and a Poison Uchigatana, I really want to dual wield katanas, but I think it kinda sucks. If you could share some stuff...

Currently I'm just going with a Blacksteel Katana and a Falchion so I can still parry outside of the power stance.

I had Uchigatana and a Blacksteel Katana with just straight +10 upgrades. Powerstanced the whole game, no magic, high adaptability to make 100 agility. May not be the most powerful build out there but it can still do the job pretty good and what it might lack in PVE, it makes up for it in PVP, assuming you're good at dodging.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
death to the bell lovers

i'll never join your ranks

I have no love for bells. But I'll do anything for treasure. Keh heh heh heh heh...

Yeah you can easily get chunks. Just fight cheap and distract the guy while the other invader damages him. You won't win every time, but just try it out. You have nothing to lose.

Worth a shot.

Go for it, mate. You'll have a ton of fun invading the bell towers and you'll likely be swimming in chunks in no time.
Thanks guys. Can I choose either belfry or should I choose depending on level? I'm around 76, I think.

Gbraga

I had Uchigatana and a Blacksteel Katana with just straight +10 upgrades. Powerstanced the whole game. May not be the most powerful build out there but it can still do the job pretty good and what it might lack in PVE, it makes up for it in PVP, assuming you're good at dodging.

I really love parrying though >_<

How much END do you have? I'm still at 20 because I can't make myself spend a level on 1 stamina point.

I have another Blacksteel Katana as well, if I'm going the +10 route, should I just take two of them or do you still recommend keeping the Uchi?

I have no love for bells. But I'll do anything for treasure. Keh heh heh heh heh...

Thanks guys. Can I choose either belfry or should I choose depending on level? I'm around 76, I think.

Either should be fine. Just remember that you should wait outside of the actual belfries to get summoned (you can see that you can get summoned when your covenant symbol is blinking)

zma1013

I really love parrying though >_<

How much END do you have? I'm still at 20 because I can't make myself spend a level on 1 stamina point.

I have another Blacksteel Katana as well, if I'm going the +10 route, should I just take two of them or do you still recommend keeping the Uchi?

I had 130 stamina. Probably shouldn't be much lower than 120 to be honest. I forgot to mention another trick, if you alternate between a powerstance swing and a regular swing, you'll be able to fit in more attacks per stamina bar, whereas if you just powerstance, you'll only have 3 swings. Usually though I'd do powerstance, powerstance, then roll away and regenerate.

I mean, it doesn't really matter much as far as the 2 katanas. The Uchi is far lighter so that's why I kept it. 2 blacksteel katanas add a lot to your weight. If I could have got another Uchi on the first playthrough I would have just used 2 of those for the lighter weight.

chris121580

I double dipped to play through as a Mage(Warrior previously) this time around and am completely sucked back in again. No way I'll ever be able to go back to the PS3 version after seeing how smoothly this plays

Too easy :C

yup

all bosses in this game are just a bunch of pinwheels darn it!

The only bosses that are (somewhat) difficult are the ones with bullshit additional mobs in them like
Chariot and RRA

While admittedly the Old Dragonslayer fight was relatively easy, you people have some rose tinted glasses if you think DS1 didn't have some easy ass boss fights. I only remember dying multiple times in two separate boss battles
Fat dude and dragonslayer, and wolf with sword
and that was more due to a cheap shot they had. I've had more consistent issues beating bosses in this game than I ever did in DS1, mainly due to stuff like mob bosses and those that have some kind of area attack. Every boss in either game has a trick to them, but I'm pretty sure the tracking of enemies is more refined/bullshit in DS2 where even when they begin an attack they can easily still move their body and track you until the last 1 second or so.

So, I just took out
Vendrick
on my first try. Had
5 Giant Souls
. I'm pretty sure I could've done without them however. I didn't even get close to getting hit.

LiK

So, I just took out
Vendrick
on my first try. Had
5 Giant Souls
. I'm pretty sure I could've done without them however. I didn't even get close to getting hit.

If you had zero of those souls, it would just take forever and your weapon would've broke long before you even killed him. Even at 4 souls, I had to use one Repair powder.

eot

Banned
Finally had a chance to try it.

And.
Oh, god.
Mouse+keyboard controls are so incredibly bad, it's a joke. Even redefining them is a massive chore.
It's even worse than DS (where m+k controls were pretty good once you applied the DSmouseFix).
Terrible port.

I don't know if it's been posted here, so I guess I'll do it:

Download AutoHotKey.

The first time you launch it, it will pop up a txt file. Replace the contents with this:
Code:
#NoEnv
#IfWinActive, DARK SOULS II
F2::Suspend

LButton::H
RButton::G
MButton::O
Shift::3

WheelUp::
{
Send {1 down}
Sleep 20
Send {1 up}
return
}
WheelDown::
{
Send {2 down}
Sleep 20
Send {2 up}
return
}

;Guard Break
XButton1::
{
Send {W down}
Sleep 20
Send {H down}
Sleep 20
Send {W up}
Send {H up}
return
}

;Jump Attack
XButton2::
{
Send {W down}
Sleep 20
Send {G down}
Sleep 20
Send {W up}
Send {G up}
return
}

Just note that if you use the script above you can't use the mouse in menus, unless you use F2 to disable it. I changed some of the bindings in-game, so you'll need to adjust that either in the script or in-game. For example, I bound '1' and '2' to cycle targets and '3' to block (light left hand attack). I think 'O' to lock on is there by default. I know it seems weird to bind shift to press '3' to block, but it's because shift is a modifier key so it messes with other things otherwise.

The control-mapping above gives:

LMB - attack
RMB - heavy attack
Mouse3 - lock on
Scrollwheel - cycle targets
Mouse4 - guard break
Mouse5 - leap attack
Shift - block

Personally I use 'E' to parry, 'Q' to use items, 'F' to interact, 'R' to change main weapon and 'Tab' to change potions etc. Using the script removes all the input lag that you normally get with the mouse (because of them implementing double-clicks).

EasyMode

D'oh! I learned the hard way that you can destroy chests in this game. Smashed a chest with a shield slam, and all that was left was rubbish.

It was the wooden chest immediately to the left after
Old Dragonslayer
, next to some NPC. Anyone remember what was in there?

LiK

D'oh! I learned the hard way that you can destroy chests in this game. Smashed a chest with a shield slam, and all that was left was rubbish.

It was the wooden chest immediately to the left after
Old Dragonslayer
, next to some NPC. Anyone remember what was in there?

After? There's a shield and the other chest is just some not that important items

After dying an insane amount of times in the murky mess between the first bonfire and the Rotten at the bottom of the Black Gulch finally achieved victory and lit my first primal bonfire. Felt fantastic after dealing with those annoying poison statues, worm enemies and multiple long hard fought battles with that gross bastard.

As a proud member of team sunbros and to pay it forward I decided to drop my soul sign down to help other adventurers to face the Rotten. While waiting to be summoned decided to explore a bit...only to discover a bonfire basically right in front of the boss. I love and hate this game so much.

Side note, anyone have any build recommendations? Care about PvE primarily and have been using a bastard sword + 7 and the drangelic armor set. Melee build with pyromancy as my ranged option. My stats:

Soul Level 90
VGR 20 / END 20 / VIT 20 / ATT 13 / STR 26 / DEX 14 / ADP 20 / INT 4 / FTH 6

Should I just pump up VGR / VIT / STR / DEX going forward?

Thanks

Vitor711

While admittedly the Old Dragonslayer fight was relatively easy, you people have some rose tinted glasses if you think DS1 didn't have some easy ass boss fights. I only remember dying multiple times in two separate boss battles
and that was more due to a cheap shot they had. I've had more consistent issues beating bosses in this game than I ever did in DS1, mainly due to stuff like mob bosses and those that have some kind of area attack. Every boss in either game has a trick to them, but I'm pretty sure the tracking of enemies is more refined/bullshit in DS2 where even when they begin an attack they can easily still move their body and track you until the last 1 second or so.

One thing I find annoying is the increasingly universal aoe explosion that some enemies
like the Smelter Demon and The Rotten
seem to have for when you're up close. Small wind up times and insane damage (potentially 1 hit kills) when you don't have your shield up.

As much as I'm enjoying the bosses in general (even
RRA
for its puzzle-like nature), I do not appreciate that move. I've learnt to expect it but it's a shame that it seems to share the same animation/effects across bosses.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm really disappointed by the
Looking Glass Knight
boss fight.
After the previews I had hopes for an awesome fight with player invaders and all I got was some bad NPC invader, which made this one of the easiest boss fights in the game so far...

AkuMifune

Banned
Wait, how do I figure out the Steam ID of the person I've co-op'ed with?

I found myself so lost last night. Got stuck between working on my build or progressing further and just wasted time. I need to focus!

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Looking Glass Knight
boss fight.
After the previews I had hopes for an awesome fight with player invaders and all I got was some bad NPC invader, which made this one of the easiest boss fights in the game so far...

It is possible to have a
player invade but it requires them to put the red soapstone sign down outside the boss room. The Looking Glass Knight will then summon them in.

Grief.exe

After dying an insane amount of times in the murky mess between the first bonfire and the Rotten at the bottom of the Black Gulch finally achieved victory and lit my first primal bonfire. Felt fantastic after dealing with those annoying poison statues, worm enemies and multiple long hard fought battles with that gross bastard.

As a proud member of team sunbros and to pay it forward I decided to drop my soul sign down to help other adventurers to face the Rotten. While waiting to be summoned decided to explore a bit...only to discover a bonfire basically right in front of the boss. I love and hate this game so much.

I better go explore down there some more. I've heard several people mention the hidden bonfire.

There is another hidden spot down there! Keep exploring near the ledge in that area with a torch.

Jinaar

Check out Peter's IGN interviews for DS2. Turns out he's actually a huge fan of DS1 and asked From if he could be in the game. Watching him play DS2 was hilarious. You can tell he's not bullshitting and actually knows what he's doing.

That is awesome! I will check that out tonight, thanks for the information!

I just had such a cool invasion in the Iron Keep! There's a part where you can drop down onto these thin catwalk-type things to return to another larger area and the invader popped up right at the top with me as I was dealing with the enemies.

We each got our hits in and then I hit him some more, causing him to dive down onto the catwalks. I hear him prepping more dark magic so I put on some homing crystal soulmass and leapt down there to meet him. We charged at one another and I rolled through his magic but he took mine right in the nose, then as I went to swing at him he rolled and slipped off the edge into the lava.

That is such a fun spot to be invaded, totally unexpected too.

If I totally suck at PvP, my character has been built with no regard for PvP, and I have less than 10 minutes of experience with PvP, total, throughout the entire Souls series, should I bother joining the bell bros to get some chunks or will I just be destroyed and humiliated? I know that sometimes it's 2 invaders against 1 player, so I could probably win in that situation. I just want some fucking chunks guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0wa0W13yw

zkylon

zkylewd
well granted i'm not done with dks2 but i think a lot of bosses in this game feel really throwaway. difficulty aside, they don't feel too refined, like they'll have very simple attack patterns and they're surprisingly low health.

i do enjoy some of the preparation things like being able to fight pursuer early or the floor thingie on dragonrider. i think those things are really cool

but other than that, very few bosses have taken me more than one or two tries and i don't regard myself as a particularly good player

like i feel like i haven't seen half the moves of some of the bosses cos i kill them too fast :/

Looking Glass Knight
boss fight.

it is not intuitive how to be summoned by the LG Knight so it doesn't happen much. Also, I think it can only be done in ng+ and beyond, but of that I am not 100% certain.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
It is possible to have a
player invade but it requires them to put the red soapstone sign down outside the boss room. The Looking Glass Knight will then summon them in.

There definitely were some
red summon signs
in front of the boss room. Guess I just had bad luck
getting an NPC

it is not intuitive how to be summoned by the LG Knight so it doesn't happen much. Also, I think it can only be done in ng+ and beyond, but of that I am not 100% certain.

Oh, maybe I'll have more luck in NG+.

eot

Banned
well granted i'm not done with dks2 but i think a lot of bosses in this game feel really throwaway. difficulty aside, they don't feel too refined, like they'll have very simple attack patterns and they're surprisingly low health.

i do enjoy some of the preparation things like being able to fight pursuer early or the floor thingie on dragonrider. i think those things are really cool

but other than that, very few bosses have taken me more than one or two tries and i don't regard myself as a particularly good player

like i feel like i haven't seen half the moves of some of the bosses cos i kill them too fast :/

Some bosses could definitely use more health, I agree on that.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Am I doing something wrong? I've encountered tons and tons of
petrified statues
, but so far only found two of the items required to solve it.

Edit: I also found out the hard way that
mimics
can't be blocked. I was holding up my shield, got charged, got downed and eaten.

You get more later.

Defuser

8 times got summoned into Iron King fight. 8 times ends in failure due to me or the host dying. Old Iron King isn't the boss. The fucking lava holes are the real boss.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Burn an Effigy. All invaders blocked temporarily.

Wouldn't that be counterproductive?
I wanted a player invader to make the fight more interesting, all I got was an NPC invader.

ElFly

No ringing the bell on my watch.

Well, from time to time I will ring the bell after invading and vanquishing a dude on the top floor. Dunno if it counts for the victim.

ElFly

Some bosses could definitely use more health, I agree on that.

Velstadt def could use more health, or more protection while ringing his bell.

Normally the dude will knee to call upon the forces of dark, but all three of us will be spamming on him, and he will stand with only a sliver of health left.

zkylon

zkylewd
Some of them had more before being nerfed.
i think some of these guys could deserve some nerf rollbacks

i don't think it'd make the game a lot more difficult, it would probably just be more enjoyable since bosses would feel stronger.

also from helping magic users magic seems really overpowered?

Paches

8 times got summoned into Iron King fight. 8 times ends in failure due to me or the host dying. Old Iron King isn't the boss. The fucking lava holes are the real boss.

I died a couple times to rolling and going in to the tiny little lava gap that is up against the wall where you would think it would be safe. They just had to add that in there, didn't they?

Looking Glass Knight
boss fight.

That's NG+ only unfortunately.

Gbraga

No ringing the bell on my watch.

Well, from time to time I will ring the bell after invading and vanquishing a dude on the top floor. Dunno if it counts for the victim.

What do you mean? Does ringing the bell changes anything other than opening the door? I didn't know that.

i think some of these guys could deserve some nerf rollbacks

i don't think it'd make the game a lot more difficult, it would probably just be more enjoyable since bosses would feel stronger.

also from helping magic users magic seems really overpowered?

I played through my first character as melee. I'm doing a faith build now and I'm having a noticeably easier time with everything.

Speaking of magic users, I'm trying to go with a spellcaster build for the first time in my Demon's/Dark Souls playthroughs.

Stupid question, but what should I use in my off hand? Is it worth putting points into strength so I can use a shield or sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom